After radiotherapy

I finished my 20 sessions of radiotherapy yesterday & I don’t know what I was expecting but it was a bit of an anticlimax. A few minutes of zapping, quick chat with radiologist about dos & don’ts after treatment then appointment to see oncologist in 6 to 8 weeks time. I’m now just wondering what happens at that appointment so would appreciate anyone who’s been there, done that, letting me know. I wanted to be all excited about finishing but now feel like I don’t know what’s around the corner. Xx

Yes it’s a weird feeling like being cut adrift .You are so used to going to the hospital every day and then "nothing ".I found the end of active treatment an anti climax too.The post rads review is just to check how you’re skin is healing and if you have any side effects to discuss them.

It may sound mad but I actually missed going! I had gotten in to a proper routine with it then suddenly it all stopped!  went straight from work ,  came home ,did tea , walked dog and repeat for 3 weeks!! We had a glass of bubbly on my last day and toasted to it being over but it took me a while to lose the feeling of being on hi alert after the “busyness” of the previous months, I didn’t have a follow up appointment and saw no one until my annual check this year so really felt cast adrift but slowly you stop looking around every corner and start to relax and enjoy the normality of life again! Xx Jo 

Hi Anita,

I can certainly relate to the feelings expressed here, in an odd sort of way, I quite enjoyed rads as you get to know the team & it wasn’t arduous for me as I live quite near to the centre.

I had my follow-up appointment with the onc last week which, for me, rounded the whole experience off very positively. As well as discussing my treatment & how I was feeling, I also had a full breast examination. I was also given a ‘moving forward’ pack & lifestyle advice which was all very reassuring. As my case was quite straightforward, I was discharged back to the surgeon for 5 year follow-up.  Having unexpectedly found myself here & all that goes with it, I am very happy with the nhs!

best wishes moving forward,

ann

x