After radiotherapy

High all my first time on the site, I have just finnished 23 rads last week and my skin is breaking down around my neck and Rt breast ( post mamoplasty and chemo ).Can anyone tell me if this is ok and can Iuse anything other than E45as this seems to make it worse?
Ta Fidgit

Hi Fidgit,

That sounds painful! :frowning:

I’ve been going through something similar and my radiographer recommended an aloe vera gel. I’m using Holland & Barratt’s own as it’s certified 99.9% aloe vera. She also recommended keeping the gel in the fridge if the area feels hot and that’s helped a bit too. I would avoid using anything that has lanolin in it as that can increase the irritation - I’m not sure if E45 has lanolin in it???

If it gets really sore I would either ring the radiotherapy dept on Monday, or you could give either your BCN or GP a call.

I’m sure someone will be able to help - it needs to be taken care of so that it doesn’t get infected.

Take care, Nymeria x

hi fidgit, i finished 20 rads today and am very sore 2, spreading up 2 armpit. especially sore around scar area as had 5 boosters. after using tnothing but aqueous cream for the last month with little effect or relief i slathered on bio oil tonight and feel so much better already. think my skin needed something more moisturising. will carry on with it and keep u posted. good luck! xxx

Hi Fidgit, I was told not to use E45 as I believe it has lanolin. Like Nymeria says aloe Vera is good. If you can get geliperm dressings and keep them in the fridge they are good as well. Speak to your BCN or GP soon, don’t let it get infected or the skin break down too much x

Thanks all I tried the Aloe Vera and it has helped however I have had to get some antibiotics as the sores became infected, heres hoping there is an end to all this.

Hi, I have not been on here for a while but would love some advice.
I finished my 20 rads 12 days ago and the underneath of my boob is really red sore and blistered, weeping all the time. BC Nurse has checked it and it is not infected, i am having trouble moving as it rubs and really stings , the skin has peeled quite badly. Any ideas on what i can put on it or not. I only wash it with warm boiled water (cooled down obviously) and even that stings, makes my eyes stream with tears.
Annette

hi… wash the entire area with johnsons baby soap, pat gently 2 dry it all , put your hair drier on cool or use a fan for a few mins, make sure the area is totally dry, slosh on loads of aquious cream … ( better if kept in fridge )… get a large clean cotton hanky and cover your boob make sure all underneath is covered, to stop skin on skin chaffing . thats what i did … and it did help so much … hope u feel better soon xx

During my rads last mar/april, my skin broke down, weeping, blistered, I was given intrasite gel and dressings, worked a treat.
Ask the radiotherapist for some.

E45 CREAM contains Lanolin

E45 LOTION does NOT contain Lanolin

I’ve had 18 sessions of RT and have been putting Holland & Barrett’s Aloe Vera Gel (99.9%)on my skin about three times a day. I use Aqueous Cream for washing “the affected areas” and my usual shower gel for the rest of me. So far so good and the RT’s tell me my skin is looking in really good condition. They have said to keep applying the A Vera Gel for at least three to four weeks after the RT finishes.

Several people on the Forums have recommended Mepilex dressings for broken skin.

hi annette, i finished 20 rads friday and like u the underside of boob the worst(thiink maybe the boosters did it!) im very sore and got a few nasty blisters too. i have been using bio oil since friday and the difference is amazing. abandoned a bra 4 a vest top with hidden support. so much comfier. if i wasnt at work id prob just wear a tshirt. keep it dry after bathing and 4 me the least u faff with it the better. since fri , my whole treated area feels cooler. less irritated and looks better too. keep it dry and clean without too many products and am sure it will settle down. love and best wishes alex xxx

Thanks for all the advice girls, really appreciate it. They dont mention this in the leaflets do they. ha ha . The dressings i have tried so far have all stuck to it and made it worse, maybe i’ll leave these alone for a while. I will try out your methods and see what works best.
Hopefully it will soon heal up and i can move properly again.
Alex - bio oil sounds good, but did it make the raw skin sting, just putting water on mine does.

Thank you all for posting your experiences. I’ve had my dates for rads to start and it’s all starting to get a bit scary. I’ve got my H&B aloe vera gel (already on my second tube because it’s so nice for dry chemo skin all over) and it’s helpful to get the tips.

How about wearing a vest top and then shoving something over the top? I have a favourite over-shirt that I wear loads even without having to forego my usual undergarments and I love it, but if you have to be in a posher environment how about wearing a long scarf wrapped around your neck? At the moment I’m still pretty bald so I often wear my favourite long scarf around my neck in case it gets cold in Tesco (and to disguise my third collarbone that is my portacath) so that might help to make you feel a bit less exposed without a regular bra.

no annette, surprisingly the bio oil didnt sting at all. CM, ta for tips about scarves! xx

Which bio oil are people using and where do I get it from? I’ve got re-gen cream (from aldi) which is supposed to be for scar tissue/dry skin but i don’t know if that is similar.

XX

hi S2S, got mine from boots. white box, orange writing alex xx