cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

After surgery - really grateful for advice

5 REPLIES 5
Michelle82

Re: After surgery - really grateful for advice

Thanks so much for all your messages. Off to meet with the surgeon now...so more questions!

Thanks again and best wishes! Michelle.

JoJo11

Hi Michelle,
I'm 61 and I had WLE and SNB last November 14th, I went back to work mid December, then off on holiday to Australia on Dec 18th, came back in Jan and started straight on radiotherapy.
My WLE took a 14cm diameter lump, and I had two scars one at the side of my nipple about 10cm and a smaller one just where the top of the breast meets the armpit for the lymph nodes(2 removed). This top scar was the most troublesome as it pulled when I moved, and was in an awkward position for bras. I used vit E oil on it as soon as the dressing came off (about 1 week) and it is fading fine now and not painful at all. The other scar on the actual breast is still rather indented, and as I have only just finished radiotherapy the breast shape is still changing.
Immediately post op the pain was not as bad as I thought it would be. I had morphine the first night as a routine, and the second night I asked for a another dose because I wanted to get some sleep!. (you are usually written up for this, but they don't always tell you - you have to ask for it if you need it - don't be afraid to ask if you are in pain). I got out of bed the morning after the op as I was keen to get mobile ASAP, and went home on Day 3. I had someone stay with me the first night, and to help wash my hair the next day. Everything else I managed myself (I live on my own).

In hospital I wore a very stretchy strappy top that I could pull on from the bottom, and pull down for exams etc. Take your mum some lip salve - very dry on hospital.

Hope some of this is helpful, wish your mum all the best from me.
Jojoxxx

19Tedder

Michelle

I had a mastectomy with sentinel node biopsy three weeks ago. Came out of hospital after two days, without drains. Felt weak but not much pain, lot of numbness and tingling sensations around wound. Have been doing suggested exercises three times a day and managing more or less everything, except hoovering and heavy shopping. Best advice to you is allow your mum to do what she feels she is able and be led by her. Obviously nothing too strenuous but for me just doing a little bit of dusting, a little bit of ironing, and not being mollycoddled helped me to feel "normal". Good luck to you both.

Barbara

Michelle82

Hi Shannon,

Thank you for your message. It really helps just to know a little of what to expect. I hope you are recovering from your op well.

Thanks again, Michelle.

CrazyDancer

Michelle,

I had a mastecomy and lymph nodes removed just over 2 weeks ago. I was sent home the day after surgery with drains still attached, had to go back a week later to have the drains removed. I think this varies, some hospitals keep you in while drains are attached. I was a bit sore and needed a little help to do simple things, like getting dressed, just for a day or two, but to be honest, after that I felt ok and could have managed on my own. I was told not to drive for 2 weeks. I now have a good range of movement in my arm, and just avoiding anything that might jerk my arm, or lifting anything heavy, and still not hoovering or ironing.
Hope that helps, and good luck to your mum.

Shannon
x

Michelle82

After surgery - really grateful for advice

Hi,

I haven't been on here for quite a while. My Mum was diagnosed with Breast Cancer last August and since then she has now completed her course of chemotherapy and I'm very happy to say that the tumour has shrunk enough for her to have a lumpectomy instead of a mastectomy. She will be having her lymph nodes removed though. The consultant has advised us that she will be in hospital for 5 days, but I just wondered if anyone who has had surgery similar to this, could tell me how you felt after, as in immediately after and then when you came out of hospital?

I've obviously kept the next couple of weeks completely free but I have this fear of the unknown. I know everyone is different, but I just would like to know roughly what to expect.

Thanks for your help.

Michelle.