cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

After treatment...

7 REPLIES 7
SJB

Re: After treatment...

I finally got my follow up appointment last thursday. It was with an oncology registrar - I hadn't met her before and she didn't know my story, so I found myself having to tell her a lot while she flicked through my file.

Anyway, she did a thorough physical examination of my scar, remaining breast, both armpits and both sides of my neck and said all was well. She confirmed that the CT scan I had in August showed that there was nothing to be concerned about, and she praised me for the amount of movement I had in my arm after having lymph nodes removed.

She didn't actually mention "no evidence of disease" or being in remission, but it was obvious that's where I am at.

Apparently I'll get an appointment in the post for a mammogram next Spring, and I'll get an annual appointment with someone in oncology in a year's time. Meanwhile, I have an appointment to see my surgeon/consultant in February.

So that's it until those milestones come round. Still, I got there. What a journey!

Maryland

Isn't it strange how NHS Trusts differ so much?? After my final RT they booked a follow up appointment for me with Consultant Radiologist who 'signed me off'. This was in August 2012. Mammograms in Jan 2013 and 2014 with annual mammos for a further 8 years. Consultant Oncologist in April 2013 and 2014 (when she also 'signed me off'). Surgeon in October 2013; next appointment October when I hope he will 'sign me off' too. My treatment was WLE, SLNB, FEC-T, 23 RT and Anastrozole. I feel my care has been exemplary, with Look Good, Feel Better and free holisitic therapies for me and my daughter from MacMillan given alongside medical treatment. In September 2013 invited to a feedback session to consider what had worked well and how experience could have been improved, with some helpful hints and tips for the future. My only disappointment in all this was the BCN who really wasn't my 'cup of tea' at all, so only spoke to her twice! Maybe with the pressures on the NHS since my treatment, thngs have changed; however I can't complain at all......

Jaye

Hi

I finished my radiotherapy early June this year and as Chascat says, i walked out of radiotherapy on the last day and no one saw me, to discuss the end of treatment.  About a month after I received a copy of the letter sent to my gp which said I would see the consultant in the summer.  Well, i keep waiting for that appointment to come through in the post but so far no letter has arrived.   I feel I need a final chat as I feel like I am in limbo. 

Glad to hear it is not just me who feels like this.

I do know my hospital only does follow up mammograms every 18 months whereas a lot on the forum seem to get a checkup mammogram annually.  

Jaye x

mary32

Hi

I had all my treatment at Guys, I London and I did have an end of treatment appointment with a nurse practitioner. I was not aware that I was due one, just got the appointment details in the post. I was there fir about 40 minutes and covered my treatment, worries and what would happen next. She followed this up with about half dozen written up sheets covering  what we had discussed and got me an appointment I had asked for. It did provide a sort of full stop but I would have appreciated knowing that I was due to have it, say at the beginning  of treatment. Everything does feel a bit disjointed as you move from surgery to oncologists etc.

Mary

SJB

It's weird, isn't it, like being left in limbo.
poemsgalore

Hi SJB

I haven't had my final chat yet. I had MX and SNB 12/12/2012, chemo Feb-May 2013, no rads (my choice) and I've been on anastrazole since June 2013. I've had a few non cancer related issues that my onco wanted to make sure got sorted before she will 'sign me off'. Next appointment with her is September 30th. I think the rest of the February Valentines 2013 had a 'signing off' meeting after rads.

chascat

Hi SJB, from my own personal experience and that of many friends there appears to be no such thing as a "final chat ". I remember walking out of the hospital after my last radiotherapy feeling very strange, like I needed closure from my oncologist but there was nothing until my check up 6 months later. Fingers crossed for your scan results, take care x

SJB

After treatment...

Wasn't sure where to post this.

I finished my treatment (radiotherapy after chemo and mx/anc) in early July. Since then, I had a CT Scan in August to double check a section of bone at the base of my spine which appeared to have thickened in the CT scan that I had at the end of my chemo.

I did have a follow up appointment booked with an oncologist for a couple of weeks ago, but the hospital wrote to cancel it and the letter said they would give me a new appointment as soon as they were able to, but I've heard nothing since.

In fairness, i feel so well that I'm sure that scan was nothing to worry about, but it would be nice to be told. I also expected to see someone after my rads, but didn't, so I assume this follow-up appointment that I'm waiting for is the final chat, so to speak.

How did it end for the rest of you? Is this normal?

I've been taking Tamoxifen for a month and a half now, and not having too much trouble with that, and I have an appointment to see my surgeon again next February, but other than that, I'm on my own, I guess?