cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alcohol link to breast cancer recurrence

18 REPLIES 18
lucyloo

Re: Alcohol link to breast cancer recurrence

Well girls just thought i would let you all know that White Zinfandel is my guilty pleasure and have been drinking it for years now, not every day of course, but i loved a drink before dx and still love one now and thats 13 years on since dx,
cheers and a merry xmas to all of you says she with a rather large glass in hand !

cherub

About 20 years ago I fell against my tree and demolished it - I was wrapping pressies and had a bit too much Glayva. No danger of that now as I don't have room for a tree 😉

truffle_shuff

stopped doing tree now , just found a tv station called diva. lots of good old dance music, (im 54 )dancing on my own in living room , with one recon boob twitchin in its own, having a good day today

apolooies for those in the black hole, ill probabley be with you tomorrow

ymca on now....!!!!

take care xx

truffle_shuff

Well corks out of bottle now, I am putting up the christmas tree, and it has always been a long family tradition , well started by me, to have wine whilst putting up tree, well it gives it artisitic flair

cheers everyone

take care xx

tippy1

unfortunately ive just started on arimidex and a few sips of wine make me so hot its unbearable!! i wondr if gin will do the same?
sue

scottishlass

Oh Flora. you did make me chuckle with your comment about becoming a nun.....etc...... and I needed a chuckle....thank you. Love Val Xx

lisaf

Well yes i might be overweight and drink a tad too much but then so does a huge amount of my mates, being mid 30's we have and are enjoying oursleves, i beat myself up for a while about this and then thought sod it, anythign could have caused it and drink in a wierd way got me through it, im no alcoholic but only me that got it and ive discovered got the brca1 gene - so is it that that caused it or the booze, hum i wonder.....

Katie61

Oh great, another thing to beat ourselves up about!
If I gave up alcohol all the people who think I've handled this really well, might see another side of me!!

K x

notyetinthebox

Lol - that tickled me Flora! I'll drink to that! xJacqx

Flora29

I came across the BBC article while drinking my 3rd bottle of Corona beer! OH has just said I had better renounce all my sins, become a nun and sew up my fanny!!! Not allowed to have fun or a normal life any more, are we?!! Off to read the DM now and have a rant at that.... Grrrrr.

cherub

As usual, the worst report on this is in the Daily Mail. I've managed to get 2 posts on the thread after it. I get really mad with them. I read an interview with the Dr Kwan who has headed this study and what she actually said was they haven't actually proved anything, more studies would have to be done.

I for one am not beating myself with a stick over Christmas just because I have a few drinks. Hell, you never know whether you will be here for the next one, anything could happen - not talking about a return of the cancer, you could meet with an unfortunate accident. I twill be chocolate next and if that happens I may as well just give up!

scottishlass

..........It'S enough to drive you to drink!!!.....everything in moderation is my motto......
Love Val x

SuziD

I have to agree with last posting as I am slim, fit and eat well and enjoy a few drinks and i got BC!! Everything in moderation is my new catchphrase otherwise you'd go quietly mad!

truffle_shuff

seem to lost last posting, but just had fish n chips washed down with red wine.

if i live to a ripe old age, think i will take up smoking cigars ,eating cake , drinking wine and oh chocolate for breakfast. will be a night mare in the old folks home, but have been a good girl and still got me a cancer ,

may even have a chocolate biscuit for afters

take care all xx

snottraggs

totally agree - goodness we all know everything that passes our lips these days seem to cause cancer. find me a jo 90 bubble please!!!

carmcg1

just as well I cant drink wine because of tamoxifen, its hot flush city after a couple of sips!!!!

if we didnt eat and drink everything they said that caused cancer, we would all die from starvation and dehydration!!!

vodka and diet coke for me!!

Merry Christmas

Carol xx

Bahons2

There may well be a link, Ann, but I do grow weary of these simplistic media reports where alcohol and breast cancer are concerned.

It seems to be a muddle between 'developing it in the first place' (towards the end) and 'risk of recurrence'.

I sometimes feel the Press are just looking for a stick to beat us with; somehow it's got to be our fault. Ot it's a quiet news day and they've got to fill some column inches. If they would devote a bit more to sensible statistical analysis and an acknowledgment that breast cancer is not one disease, but many, they would produce something a bit more measured and relevant.

The researcher herself admits more work is needed.

Sorry, a bit of a rant - not at you - just the media in general!

X

S

dotchas

Oh dear!
Just as well I am driving tonight then!

Why can't they discover that something horrid I don't want to eat (maybe celery) is bad for me ,why is it always things I like.

I think in moderation,we are OK with a few wines!

Dot
xxx

Ann_04

Alcohol link to breast cancer recurrence

Happened to read this on the BBC News website. Something to bear in mind for Christmas, or not?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/8406273.stm

Ann