Alendronic Acid - eye problems

Hello everyone. My last bone density scan showed borderline osteoporosis after three and a half years on Aromasin and so I was prescribed alendronic acid. I’ve been on it for 6 weeks now and feel reasonably OK - diarrhoea the day after, but that’s managable.

My main problem seems to be increased eye sensitivity. I do wear eye cream and eye make up but have used the same ones for years. Now with increasing frequency my eyes are starting to feel sore - not every day but often, and sometimes recently they’ve started really running. It happened recently when I was out shopping and people were looking at me with sympathy as I really looked as if I was crying.
The only thing which I’ve changed with either medication or make up has been starting the alendronic acid and I’m wondering if they could be the reason for the eye problems.

Has anyone experienced this as a side effect with alendronic acid? Thanks - Anthi

Hi Anthi
I too am on Alendronic acid. It hasn’t affected my eyes (been on it about a year) but for a few years now my eyes have been sore and stinging, tears running down my face. I should have your eyes checked by an optician as I was told I had dry patches on my eyes and was told to buy artificial tears at the chemist. You can buy them over the counter, no prescription needed. Hope this helps.
Laraine xx

Many thanks for your reply Laraine xx

Hi Anthi,

I too am on Aromasin and alendronic acid - I take alendronic acid number 9 tomorrow. I also get the diarrhoea the next day, but I don’t get the eye problems.

I do get eye problems in the summer if I’m outside a lot when the allergy season is in full swing and I use the artificial tears then and find them very helpful.

Eliza xx

Hello Eliza and thank you for your comment.

Anthi xx