All abit confusing!

I found a lump in December and went to gp in January. I was referred to the breast clinic and saw a dr at the end of feb, he felt lump and thought probably fibrous mass but referred me for an ultra sound. I had the ultrasound and then was later referred for a mammogram.

On these results the dr said I should have a biopsy but the lump would have to come out regardless. I went for biopsy today only to find out that I have some sort of breast infection. I had another ultrasound and mammogram but dr said he couldn’t really see lump because of the liquid. He took a sample of the pus and sent it off for analysis. I am now being sent for an mri scan.

Is it possible that I have two things going on at the same time, is it possible for mastitis to hang around since December with no real symptoms, except for feeling a bit groggy and swollen this weekend?

On my notes I read [first lot] ultrasound birads1 and mammogram birads 4, How can it be so different?

Sorry i’m ranting, this has been going on for so long that I feel like I am on a rollercoaster. Any advice appreciated, thanks.

i guess it is possible to have two things going on at the same time, some people have cysts removed to find there is some cancer cells behind it… so i guess the similar things can happen with infections… but i would have thought youd have had some symptoms from mastitis or a breast abcess which can make you feel very fluey, with achy muscles and even sickness and diarrhoea.

i think your in the best hands and they are obviously trying to work out whats up so they can treat you, but perhaps you could just ask them to remove the lump asap and look at it under the microscope afterwards rather than waiting for the infection to die down a bit and then do a biopsy.

if your not sure whats going on you can call the breast unit and ask for information, perhaps one of the breast care nurses could have a discussion about the findings so far.

best wishes and hope you get it all sorted out soon.

Lxx

Thank you. I seem to have posted this in two places, doh. The breast nurse is lovely and definitely the most approachable. I think I will have a chat with her. Thanks again for answering.