All the signs...

Don’t know what I am looking for here. A sounding board I guess. I have suffered from breast pain for years, in my left breast. Have been for mammograms ( last one January 2017) and have had one ultrasound. All came back clear but ultrasound mentioned cysts ( 4 yrs ago). In the past few months though the pain has changed. It’s all month, every month and the pain is now more painful and localised. I should also mention that my breast, for some but not all of the time, is larger than my right breast. My left shoulder and arm also aches.
On Sunday night I was in the shower when I thought, ‘right, I’m going to have a good feel and see what is happening in the painful area’, and there I found a small hard lump. It’s now wednesday and it’s still there. Have asked for and am waiting on a private referral as I’ve been down the doctor route before and it took forever. It’s not really looking good is it?

Hi K8e,
First of all, it’s good that so far that the investigations you’ve have been clear & that you are breast aware & have done everything you can to get it seen to promptly.
Hopefully, you will get the appointment through quickly, although if you’re in the UK, most referrals are done to the breast clinic under the 2 week rule, so there should not be a wait.
It may well be just fine, for any lump or breast change, the reason is not usually bc & you have done everything you can to expedite the appointment. Even if on the off chance it is bc, then thank goodness you have been vigilant.
If you want to, let us know how you get on.
ann x

As Ann stated, and she’s absolutely right, you are breast aware and that is critical, and are having the necessary checks take place.(There is a reason they push the concept of breast awareness, as many people dont check and even if they find something they leave it with their head in the sand!) I can’t answer if it looks good or not to be honest, we’ve seen people come here so many times who are certain they have bc and they don’t and people who come and who do have a diagnosis given. Most cases seen at the breast clinic are benign of course, but if you are seen and they aren’t 100 percent certain it is of benign nature, then you may end up having an ultraound guided biopsy taken. Only that biopsy can give a definitive yes or no, and not even a good radiographer or consultant would give neccessarily know what the tissue contains without that biopsy. This waiting is going to be a hard time for you, it is emotionally and psychologically painful, so stick around here if you like and take any support you feel you need.

Here’s the good news: IF you were to get a diagnosis then you can hold the knowledge that the vast majority of women have a successful individual treatment plan put in place, based on their bctype.(Ann and I have both had bc) Treatments are more effective year on year, and already statistics are firmly in your favour that you will come out the other end of this and carry on with your life just fine. Yes, there will be a psychologically tough period, and yes there will be time of active treatment, but it is not as things used to be years ago when bc meant a slow decline and demise for many women. Far far from it !!! Hold that thought, it might remove a little of your fear, that even if the worst were to happen, it won’t be the ‘worst’ you think it might be. Did that make sense ?:smileyfrustrated:

We will be here to listen and feel free to ask any questions…