Am I being completely paranoid?

Hi everyone, I was hoping you could give me some advice.

I’ve got an appointment in 2 weeks for the breast clinic to have a lump checked. The GP said he wasn’t worried but wanted to refer me because my mum was diagnosed with BC at 38, which spread as secondary cancer in her lungs and she died at 42. I found a lump about 4 years ago which was checked by FNA and an ultrasound scan. They said it was just fatty tissue and nothing to be concerned about, and they said the same after they scanned another lump 6 months later.

Anyway, to get to the point, that first lump is still there (it seems to have gotten harder- is that normal?) and I’ve found 2 more lumps very close to it (one of which is the one I’m being referred for). I’m thinking about asking if I can have them removed, but I keep thinking that they’re going to laugh me out of the clinic because I’m only 23.

I haven’t told my family about these lumps because I don’t want to worry them. Plus, it seems like I’ve always got something wrong with me- I feel like such a hypochondriac! I know that because of my age, the chances of it being anything other than benign is very rare, but it’s all I can think about.

What do you guys think I should do?

Natalie x

Hi Natalie

If your first lump may be a fibroadenoma which is a none cancerous lump. I requested one to be removed a couple of years ago and so can you. If you are being referred for the lumps close to it i would imagine that they would check all of your breast (both) Any concerns, do not hesitate to tell them when you are there. You cannot be too carefull.

I definatley do not think that you are paranoid. I found my lump a year before diagnosis and was originally told that i was paranoid. Go with you gut feeling. You know your own body better than anyone.

you can find my website on my profile page about my previous lumps.
KarenR

Yes go have it checked oot. Who cares what the doctors think about you over reacting. I have daughters your age and I would carry them to the doctors if I had to. When you are young it is difficult to be assertive, I know I found it hard. You will be more aware because you so sadly lost your mum so young. Beggar what they think your mum would have told you to keep getting your breasts checked. I am sure it will be nothing serious, but yopu are worried therefore that is serious. There are, sadly young women with breast cancer at your age so you must always go to your doctor if there are changes.Right bossing over now, I always was bossy!!
take care let us know how you go on. If doctor is not nice to you I’ll come and get him !!! love Eileen

Hi spooney

This must be a very worrying time for you, you’ll get loads of support here from people who know exactly what you are going through. But you might also find it helpful to go to

breastcancercare.org.uk/server/show/nav.680

Here there is a lot of information on breat problems.

If you want to talk with someone about your worries and cocnerns then do give our helpline a call. Everyone working on our helpline either has experience of breast cancer, or is a breast care nurse and has an excellent knowledge of breast cancer issues.
They are on 0808 800 6000 and are open Monday - Friday, 9am - 5pm
Saturday, 9am - 2pm

Best wishes
Sam (BCC Facilitator)

Thanks for the replies.

I know I won’t stop worrying until I get checked out, but sometimes I feel really silly- like I’m wasting their valuable time! All of the lumps that I’ve found have been in the same breast, in quite close proximity with each other.

Also, I’ve had problems in the past with nipple discharge on the opposite side- it used to be occasionly spontaneous, but it doesn’t happen very often anymore. When it does I get a terrible itching feeling, and I end up having to express whatever is there just to get some relief (although I don’t have kids and I’ve never been pregnant).

I just feel a bit stupid because in the past when I’ve been to get checked out, I felt like they thought I was paranoid and just looking for problems.

Anyway, thanks again for all your kind words.

Natalie x

Hi Natalie - never worry about bothering them, they’d sooner check 99 lumps that are nothing than miss the one that’s something. Besides, to put it bluntly, if something is picked up at an early stage it’s a lot cheaper to deal with than if it’s not picked up till much later!

For the thing in your other breast, I have had symptoms exactly like that, and it was diagnosed as a duct ectasia - after they’d done a biopsy on the nipple discharge. However, they made it clear that although this is harmless, I should go back if the symptoms changed or the tiny lump beneath my nipple got any bigger. (Meanwhile I was cooking a Grade 3 tumour in the other breast!)

Hi everyone,

Just thought I’d update you. I had my appointment this afternoon- the doctors examined the lump and then I had an ultrasound scan. It was nothing to worry about, but I’ve been referred to the genetics department in Cardiff.

Apparently they will send me a questionnaire which will help determine my risk of developing BC- if it is high then they might ask me if I want genetic testing. I asked the doctor about having the lumps removed, and he did laugh which I did not appreciate!

Anyway, he said that it would be hard to remove them as they are not so much lumps as they are nodular tissue, and removing them might create scar tissue which would make it harder to feel any new lumps that might pop up.

Thanks again for all your lovely kind messages.

Natalie x