Am I in a good place

Hi ladies. i know I am a year down the line now with stage 4 but I still feel really new to all this. As some of yo may already have read I have had a recent ct scan and bone scan. Ct scan showed liver clear(orginal met) but something suspious on a rib. Bone scan is now showing the rib is a healing fracture and not a met. Oncs are getting together to decide weather to treat it as a met or just sit and wait.Then today I came on my second period since finishing chemo in september.I saw the gyny consultant on friday who used a camera to have a look arond. He found no polyps and took a biopsy. I came of the tamoxifen about six weeks ago because they wanted to see the gyny. I know my ct scan would have shown anything sinister around the ovaries and I also know its common at my age (44) to have periods on tamoxifen but I don’t seem to be able to settle and except any good news I get.I suppose I am not sure this is good news in the stage 4 world but then I read about ladies that had liver mets stay NED for many many years so why cant I move on and except that might be me.Is it good ladies to have cleared the liver and nothing else showing in any other organs and now hopefully clear in the bones or do I just need to give myself a good kick up the backside and get on with living. Sorry for the moan ladies but I would really appreciate your opinions.xxx

Hi Elliedog,

After reading your post I wondered if you have tried using our Secondary Live Chat service?  There’s a session running tonight starting at 8.30 - 9.30pm, the session is hosted by a nurse and faciltated by a moderator so there’s always someone to talk to.  The session on Tuesdays is a very supportive session where there are a few users who use the service regularly and welcome and support anyone new to the session.  They’ve a wealth of knowledge and experience between them and are only too happy to share with others.  I’ve put you the link below for you to have a look at.

breastcancercare.org.uk/community/chat

Take care,

Jo, Moderator

Hi Elliedog I can’t help with the liver met side of things as I’ve no experience of that but I had a rib met diagnosed last September. I just spiralled down badly at first in fact probably until about the end of Jan but I find now I cope better and enjoy each day by trying not to look to far ahead. It doesn’t work everyday but I’m having more good days than bad now. My rib met stayed contained for approx 2years before I knew what it was so yours could too. I did have some help with counselling and anti depressants to help me sleep and I know these are not for everyone but don’t be afraid to take some help if you need to. Hope we have some more nice weather and maybe plan a few outings to look forward to. (Hope that doesn’t sound to naff) but it’s worked for me at the mo. Take care and best wishes xx
Tracy

Hi Angela,

I’ve not been in touch for a while - have been ‘pretending to be normal’ after returning to work, NED for now!  I’m about 6 months ahead of you with similar diagnosis and treatment if you remember. 

Thought worth recalling the story that after completing my aggressive treatment and getting to NED, I found myself stuck psychologically.  I sought help from a psychologist through the palliative care service and finally made the breakthrough that I was stuck ‘waiting to die’ despite my NED status.  From that point I decided to focus on living instead.  Happy to say I returned from a ski holiday a few weeks ago, having spent 6 months exercising to build up my strength.

I’m not waiting for latest ct scan results, so I’m not pretending it’s easy, but determined to make the most of everyday.

Wish you well.  Sarah.x