Am I too impatient?

I had a mastectomy with immediate TRAM reconstruction on Dec 4th. I am getting better, but I get knackered so quickly and by the end of the day I can hardly stand upright as my belly is so sore.As for my new boob it is still quite swollen and really sore to touch. Maybe I am just too impatient, but I suppose I feel the pressure on now to get my fitness back before returning to work.
How long has it taken others to ‘get back to normal’ ?

Hello abihary, Yes it does take time. I haven’t had the same op as you but did have a mastectomy with reconstruction (LD Flap). I had chemo first before the op and it was 4 months roughly before I returned to work. But it does depend what kind of job you do. The whole procedure affects you mentally as well as physically and although I can understand your eagerness to get back to normal I think you have to be patient and also be kind to yourself. Perhaps you should have a chat with your surgeon, GP and Breast Care Nurse who would be able to give you a realistic time you will need for your recovery. One day at a time…you will get there…but it is too soon yet to decide when. Take care. Love Val

Hi Abiharv
I had a TRAM flap in 1999 and it took me a few months to get my full strength back. I think all you can do is ‘go with the flow’ - I pushed it and ended up with a hernia that needed 2 further operations. Obviously, techniques have developed and improved in the last ten years, but it is honestly worth taking things carefully and being guided by the surgical team who have done the surgery. The hosp I was at had a dedicated nurse, but if thats not available, the ward staff are often very helpful.
sorry, I guess thats not what you wanted to hear, but I wouldn’t like to think of someone else having all the extra hassle for the sake of being careful for a wee while
I hope things go well, take care of yourself
monica xx

I had a TRAM in 1996.

I was told 3 months before I could work - and I had an office job.

I think it boils down to it being abdominal surgery; this kind of op is always the most traumatic for the body and it takes a long time to recover from it.

Allowing everything to knit back together is crucial, otherwise you may end permanently unable to lift anything, return to work or develop hernias, as Daisyleaf did. Or it could all unravel and leave you in a right mess.

We tend to focus on the new breast we have acquired, but my PS was always much more interested and concerned with my tummy. They can always remove the new breast if it doesn’t ‘take’, but sorting out a damaged abdomen is a lot more tricky.

I do understand the urge to be back to ‘normal’, relatively speaking, but do be kind to yourself. MY husband’s late mother had a hysterectomy many years ago and totally ignored the hospital’s advice to rest. She walked bent double for the rest of her life.

I would advise just doing what you feel like doing and don’t push yourself to anything like exhaustion (which will come quickly at the moment). Get plenty of rest, including a sleep during the day if you want/need it. TRAMs are brill; I love mine to bits and would hate to think of you losing yours!

Wishing you a smooth recovery.

X

S