An emotional (in a good way) week!

Hi,

An emotional week here, after my last appointment with the consultant I have been discharged by the hospital! Hurrah! Felt a bit teary walking in and out of clinic on Thursday, but just wanted to share with ladies that may be starting on this road. There is light at the end of the tunnel!

My journey started last October after being called for a mammogram as part of a trial to screen younger ladies, I was 47. Apart from the usual slight anxiety of any health check, I wasn’t unduly concerned. I was fit and well, having run my first half marathon in May last year.

Returning from a family holiday a couple of weeks later to a recall letter, I tried not to panic. A core biopsy at the recall revealed breast cancer, tiny at 10mm and caught early, no lump could be felt. Surgery was scheduled for 23rd December, thankfully it was for a lumpectomy and sentinel node biopsy. The surgery went to plan and I was home the next day to enjoy Christmas with my family.

The next few months were governed by appointments and I began 15 radiotherapy sessions in February, including a session on my birthday! Not quite what I had planned. My last was on 1st March where I rang the bell in the hospital and promptly burst into tears, as did my lovely husband.

I’m out the other side now, and can say although I would rather have not had breast cancer, I’ve had a very positive experience. The staff at St James’s in Leeds have all been amazing, especially my breast care nurse Sarah.

I’ve worked throughout (apart from a month after my operation), and are back to my running and yoga classes.

Accept all offers of help along the way from your family and friends, and be gentle on yourself. You will need extra rest and more sleep than usual. Also drink lots of water, especially during radiotherapy treatment. I have found it helpful to talk about my experience, to close friends and family, and to the lovely ladies on this blog. I’d also encourage you to take part in the Looking Good Feeling Better workshops, and also the Moving Foward Programme. It really helps to chat to other ladies who have had a shared experience.

Sorry to ramble on, I hope sharing my story may help others to realise that life does get back to normal (whatever that is!)

Love & light

Donna.xx

Hi Runningmum13, lovely to hear your news and it gives hope that there is and end to the intense treatment. I know where you’re coming from with the life-changer that cancer gives you and despite wishing I didn’t have it, I have learned much about life from the experience and feel I have a better perspective from it. I wish you well as you get back to normality and rediscover your new potential. You go girl. Xx

Donna

Not a rample at all, this is an inspirational to all those ladies who are starting or following the road we have trod :0

I am now 7 months post surgery, lumpectomy and snb on a 17mm lump that I knew nothing about, finished 20 sessions of rads 4 months ago and will be having my first post op mammo in April next year.  There really is life and normality post bc.

Helena xxx

Thank you Donna, for taking the time to reassure us of positive outcomes. I know that I have found unexpected strength and determination from this journey I really don’t want to be on. My life will never be the same, but it will be better. I wish you well on the next part of your journey. X