cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anastrazole and Zoladex injections?

13 REPLIES 13
Anita

Re: Anastrazole and Zoladex injections?

Glad you got an answer as to flexibility of Zoladex injections as I've never managed to so thank you for that. Ovary removal was mentioned to me but kind of in passing it was " of course you could have your ovaries removed but just remember that it is an operation" then they moved on to something else so it was never really discussed. I'm a year into my 2 years of taking it now so I may as well carry on & then see what they say next year. How did you get on with the injection? I remember aching a bit after the first few like having mild period pains but after that I didn't have any problems which presumably was a sign that the ovaries were shutting down. Anita x

MysteryMouse

Just a quick update.  

Spoke to oncologist with regards to the 28 days to have the Zolodex and this is flexible by about 3 days either way which is a good thing!

I need to have them for next 2 to 3 years apparently.  As soon as I had got home and had digested this info I thought why didn't I ask about ovary removal?  This wasn't offered or discussed so don't know if it's even feasible etc etc but may look into it in the future but don't really want any more ops just yet!  Isn't it typical that once you leave the meeting with the oncologist you think of even more questions!!  😮

MM

xx 

Anita

MM not sure if your Drs surgery is the same as mine but I have to get my own Zoladex from local pharmacy & take it to my appointment so unless your Drs get it for you, you might not have it on Friday when you have your appointment. I was just thinking if that was the case & you had your injection a few days later it'll be less than a week late when you have the next one after your holiday - hope that all made sense! X

Sue C
Community Champion

Oh, just remembered.... You can get implants that last 3 months. I don't think they do it straight away, probably to see how you get on with it, but definitely something they would consider in the future x

MysteryMouse

Hi Anita

I'm the same as you but also had node involvement.  

Am trying to chase and get the letter from Oncologist to the GP's (should have been there today but was not) so hopefully I can start on the injection this Friday. 😮   One thing I have already worked out is that on one of the jab days in the future I will be abroad.  Do you think I could have it 3 days early as otherwise I would be over a week late with having the dose.  Can't believe I'm worrying about that all ready as haven't even managed to get the authorisation letter yet! People must go away on holidays! 

No, I have no idea how long I will be on it.  Think definitly past 2018 but this has all been a reaction to my having a bad bleed last week so on the back foot really and still in shock about being peri menopause and not post menopause as I had thought!! 

MM

xx

Anita

Hi - not sure I'm adding much to this but I'm on Anastrozole & Zoladex injections. My cancer was 8/8 oestrogen positive & I hadn't gone through the menopause so they needed to shut my ovaries down. It doesn't really hurt just a bit sharp when it goes in. No one at my Drs surgery seems to know how many days over the 28 you can be I just get told have it as close as you can to the 28 but of course sometimes it might fall over holiday times such as Christmas so there must be some leeway. Do you know how many years you'll have the injections for? I've been told 2. X

Sue C
Community Champion

I don't see why another surgery can't do the implant for you. A nurse does mine and it all seems quite straight forward. Let me know what you find out as I'm hoping to go away in the summer too x

MysteryMouse

Thanks Sue C

I have a lot to  learn I think! 😛

MM

xx

Sue C
Community Champion

Hi MM

Good questions....... not sure I have many answers!!

I was put on them for other reasons. I had some large fybroids that they were concerned about, but these have turned out OK. Also my cancer was grade 3 so they wanted some aggressive treatment apparently. 

Yes the zoladex is every four weeks, but I think there is a few days grace. Maybe you have to take it with you when you go away, I don't know.

Maybe your BCN can help xx

MysteryMouse

Thanks Sue C

Just seen your reply.  So presumably you are in same boat as me = not 100% post menopause but peri and the Zoladex is given to to shut the ovaries from producing any Oestrogen? Have I understood that correctly?

I understand it is given every 28 days but what happens if you happen to be away on holiday for a couple of weeks as I will be later on?

Getting brain freeze trying to get my head round all this! 😮

Thanks very much

MM

xx

MysteryMouse

Just bumping this post.

Anyone on Anastrazol and having the Zoladex injections in a similiar position to me?

Thanks!

MM

xx

Sue C
Community Champion

Hi

I'm on letrozole and zoladex. The zoladex is an implant that goes into your stomach, every 4 weeks. Its not really painful at all, you just feel a slight scratch as you do with all injections. I've been given some numbing cream to put on the area about an hour before, which works really well. The nurse at my drs surgery does this for me, but I do have to order and collect the prescription first.

I don't think that I've had any side effects from the drug but its hard to tell when I'm taking the letrozole as well. 

Hope this helps xx

Jill1998
Community Champion

Blooming heck not surprised you are stressed ,does seem a rather strange combination .If your ovaries are still working shouldn't you be on Tamoxifen and Zoladex ??Write all your questions down and make sure you get answers .
MysteryMouse

Anastrazole and Zoladex injections?

Hello

I had had a FSH blood test prior to starting Tamoxifen 2 years ago and apparently it showed I was post menopausal so after 2 years taking Tamixfen I was told it was the right thing to do to change to Anastrazol which I did 8 weeks ago.  However last week endured really bad pains and bleeding.

I have now been told that I am probably not post menopausal after all (can't believe it)!  Probably peri -menopausal so now the plan is to continue with the Anastrazole tablets but also to have Zoladex injections once a month?  I did keep questioning before the switch over if I was definity post meno and was told I was! Does anyone else have this combination of drugs?

Obviously I am quite stressed out by it all as I had lymph node involvement too.

Am seeing gynacologist for check up this week so hopefully all will be ok.Smiley Happy 

Just wanted to know if this has happened to others and how do they find this Zoladex injection?

So am also confused re:- - I understand the reason why taking Anastraole plus Zoladex injections if you are peri- menopause but why then do some ladies take Tamoxifen plus Zoladex injections? I don't understand that as previously I was only taxing Tamoxifen.

The more I find out the more confused I am getting?????

TIA

MM