Anastrazole side effects High BP & Joint Pain

Hi Everyone. I completed my treatment in July 2015 (lumpectomy, FEC x 6 & radio) and have been on Anastrazole since June. I’m finding the joint pain getting a bit much and my blood pressure is high despite 3 lots of meds to control it. Is this common with Anastrazole?

My tumour was 8/8 oestrogen receptive so reluctant to stop taking it. Anyone else have same problems?

Hi Momkey

I’ve been on Anastrozole for about the same length of time as you (I was 8/8 too)  I haven’t had my blood pressure tested for a while but yes I get pains in my wrist and inside my elbow fairly frequently. Have you tried using a magnetic bracelet? I didn’t have much confidence in the idea but thought I would give it a try and it does seem to help a bit.

Hi momkey

Yes, the hormone treatments can cause both the aches and the high blood pressure. If you check the leaflet that comes in the box of tablets under side effects (common ie 1 in 10) hypertension ie raised BP is listed. I have unfortunately had to take different hormone tablets over many years due to my BC spreading and every time I start a new one my BP goes up, sometimes sky high! As and when I have a different treatment eg chemo it goes back to normal and I don’t need any BP medication so I know what is causing it. Make sure your GP is keeping an eye on it, many don’t seem to know about this side effect. As to the aches unfortunately these seem to come with the territory as well. However, again over the years, I’ve noticed different brands of hormone tablet affect me differently, some a lot worse than others for aches. There’s a few threads on here that other women have commented on. It’s best to note down each brand you get and if you feel better or worse on it that’s the last one then tell your pharmacist which brand you need, most will make sure they can get the ones you have least ‘extra’ side effects with. However many pharmacists and GP don’t believe there is a difference - but there is! It’s all down to the release mechanism or even the binding ingredients even though the active ingredient is the same - or so my GP told me.

Nicky x