Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anastrozole after 5 years

5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Community Champion

Re: Anastrozole after 5 years

Hi Warrior84

I've been on Anastrozole since February and so far so good re side effects - i.e. there aren't any, apart from an episode of vaginal dryness which ReplenseMD sorted out, and may have been due to my age anyway rather than the Anastrozole. I've always taken my tablet just before bed, on the basis that the previous day's one would have worn off by then and I'd be asleep before any side effects started with the current day's, and so far it has worked for me. If you are having trouble sleeping it might seem counter-intuitive to take the tablet at bed time, but somehow it helps.

Some ladies invest in a Ladycare Magnet for flushes and other menopausal symptoms so it might be worth looking at getting one of those? I bought one at the start of the Anastrozole ready to stick it in my knickers at the first sign of a flush, but so far it is still in its packet, but will use if required. I had a natural menopause about 11 years ago or therabouts, with only a few flushes at that time, so I don't think there was much oestrogen in my body anyway so the tablet not such a shock to the system.I too anticipate than at the end of my 5 years on it they will have increased the time to 10 years, which is OK by me - if it delays or prevents a recurrance then I'm all for it. X

Highlighted

Hi Warrior84. I've been on anastrazole for about 15 months. I too was on zoladex injections until February this year - then I had ovaries and tubes out and so no longer need zoladex. I have quite a lot of hot flushes and am quite stiff in my joints (although they actually seem a bit better now). I'll probably be on anastrazole for 10 years. Overall not feeling too bad on it - sleep was not good for a while but is fine now. I take my anastrazole in the morning. I had a bone density scan which showed I have osteopenia (which isn't as bad as osteoporosis) but isn't great as anastrazole weakens your bones so I now also take a calcium and vitamin d supplement. Debbie x

Highlighted

Hi all

Oh no, I started anastrozole this year and was hoping to be on it for 5 years but I've also heard about guidelines changing to 10 years for tamoxifen in particular. I'm also on zoladex injections. How has everyone found anastrozole - I've had lots of hot flushes since starting and a little difficulty sleeping....??
Highlighted

Hi
I have been on Anastrozole for nearly 5 years and prior to that did 1 year on Tamoxifen. I have noted that recent research is pointing towards benefits of 10 years. I have an oncology appt in October and hope he will suggest I stay on it as like you I don't want to come off it. It is as you say a comfort blanket.
I do know some people that after 5 years have swapped to Tamoxifen by their oncologist.

Highlighted
Community Champion

New research is pointing towards taking it for 10 years like Tamoxifen,ask GP to get advice from breast team re carrying on if that's what you would like .

Anastrozole after 5 years

Hi everyone, I'm due to 'finish' anastrozole next February after having been on it for 5 years. I was discharged from oncology 2 years ago but just get my tablets on repeat from GP.
Has anyone been told to come off or stop anastrozole after 5 years , it's like my comfort blanket and i don't want to come off it !