Anastrozole and bone thinning

My oncologist said “do you eat well?” after saying I will take anastrozole for 10 years. I had mentioned having another bone density scan and I’ve now begun to think about what “eating well” for good bone strength means. I recently swapped to almond milk for breakfast thinking this was a healthy option but maybe this doesn’t have as much calcium as cows milk. Does anyone have any tips to eating a good level of calcium rich foods?

Hi littlemrs-I’ve had hormone therapy for 14 months, first with Letrozole, now with Anastrozole. I had reduced bone density at my first (baseline) scan which was 6 weeks after dx.  My GP ran Vitamin D levels on me a few weeks later when I found myself struggling with constipation from the calcium tablets.  My Vitamin D levels were low.  I have since heard that this is common with cancer patients, although I am sceptical about whether this is a cause.  In my case I have been a night shift worker off and on for 4 years, and vitamin D drops with shift working.  So one’s first step is to optimise one’s Vitamiin D.  I got hold of Holick’s book The Vitamin D Solution (American book but available on Amazon- this site doesn’t copy the full link so I haven’t included it) and this talked solid good sense, especially about the role (and availability) of sunlight. (No use trying to catch some rays in this latitude until April to September!)  I now take a Vitamin D supplement with calcium. 

They (the professionals) tell you to avoid caffeine and alcohol, both of which strip the calcium from your bones more quickly.  I carry little tins of decaf teabags and sachets of decaf coffee in my handbag for tea breaks both at work and at friends’ houses.

There are lists of calcium rich foods on the internet.  I was already eating a diet rich in cabbage and sesame seeds and plants from the squash family, Now I am careful to take yoghurt and fromage frais regularly even though I’m not much of a pudding eater.  I try to eat the number of units of calcium Ineed (which is around 5-6 portions) and top it up with my tablets.  I don’t think anyone knows for sure what works.  Hope this helps…it’s still work in progress!

I take Anastrozole, 4 yrs now, and last bone scan showed some thinning. I was prescribed Adcal, but my gut couldn’t cope. So my GP worked out how many Boots calcium, magnesium and vitamin D to take - 4 per day. I eat a generally healthy diet, low salt and low fat, so semiskimmed milk which has the usual amount of calcium but half the fat of full cream milk. Also I walk 3-5 miles each day with dogs, and do lots of physical stuff, nowt strenuous like running but gardening, housework, decorating.

My onc says I should be fine!!!

Grumpy

Hi jill52
Welcome to the BCC forums

In addition to the support here please feel free to call our helpliners to talk through any concerns, lines are open weekdays 9-5 and Saturdays 10-2 on 0808 800 6000

You may find the bone health information in the following BCC link helpful:

breastcancercare.org.uk/breast-cancer-information/impact-breast-cancer/long-term-side-effects/osteoporosis-breast-cancer-treatment

Best wishes
Lucy BCC

@Jill52 - yes, you should insist on a DEXA scan to set a baseline for your bone density at the start of taking AIs.  This can then be checked against future density scans to assess whether the AI is having a deleterious effect and if so to assess what treatment might be appropriate.  

All the best, I hope the Anastrozole does its job for you.