And now its osteoporosis! Will this joy ever end??!

Just been diagnosed with osteoporosis in my spine + hips, so now am at risk of fractures of wrists + spine + hips, as well as hobbling along as a result of the side effects of the arimidex … for a 46 years old im now feeling + looking like an 86 year old!
Seriously though - any tips or hints to help me deal with the osteoporosis on top of everything else would be very welcomed :slight_smile:

K x

I am not an expert but think that weight bearing exercise is meant to help strengthen bones, but you should check with the hospital first. If you are like me and hate the gymn, you may prefer very gentle yoga or regular walks.
There are also bone strengthening drugs such as Zoledronic (sp?) acid, Zometa I thinks it’s called - although maybe these rae just for bone mets.
Sarah

i dont have any tips, sorry. But wanted to say im sorry that you now have another health issue to deal with. Sometimes it just seems to be one thing after another…

eva

KatieFizz - There is a lot of help on the Osteoporosis Society website:-

nos.org.uk/NetCommunity/Page.aspx?pid=183

Ann x

Sending you a big hug and sympathy. Little seems to be said about the ongoing and lasting effects of the treatment. I have severe foot problems from the taxotere/Arimidex so much so that at times it is difficult to walk. And weak hair and nails which I never had before to say nothing of the lymphoedema. i am 58 going on 88! I hope you get help soon.

Thanks everyone - I started some new medication today for the osteoporosis, which again brings new and unwanted side effects :frowning: I must have been such a bad person in a previous life! …
Kx

Hi Katie,

I’d be intersted to know how you get on with the new medication. I too was diagnosed with this a couple of weeks ago. I opted for the infusions rather than the tablets and have an appointment in another week to go along to the osteoporesis clinic for this. I am so scared of falling over etc until treatment has started as there is already evidence of factures developing my case - which are likely to have been caused by the Zolodax injections I am taking for ER+ bc.

Hope the treatment goes well for you - and just wondered what the side effects are that you’ve been experiencing?

Victoria