cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anniversary

11 REPLIES 11
Highlighted

Re: Anniversary

Well done Thistle. I think we went through treatment round about the same time. I didn't really notice the date either and this is the first year I haven't had to go back for a mammogram, thank the Lord - but I have been having a really terrible week emotionally and hadn't quite twigged why. I think subconsciously I do remember and my body reacts - last year I got a frozen shoulder on my operated side and this year I suddenly got pain on the other side as well, but I dealt with it quicker and didn't start catastrophising about what it might be. I still get occasional panics that the cancer will come back and I will die, but the fear is losing its grip and most of the time I feel OK. I've joined the local Paddlers for Life dragon boat team which is great fun, and managed to get back to work part-time. I have to say that the first five years were a monumental struggle and I got to the point where I just wanted to lie down and die because it seemed too hard to carry on living. I had lost my job and developed a horrible depressive illness and was in pain all the time from the scars etc...............but just kept putting one foot in front of the other until it got better. Where there's life there's hope. So keep trogging on............

Highlighted

Thanks ladies, I needed to read this today 🙂
Highlighted

Me too - dx 31st July 2006.... and I've been living with bone mets since then, liver mets since 2009... currently stable on tablet chemo, and as of now, my life is not cancer-dominated.
I keep an eye on the forums hoping to encourage those with a recent diagnosis. Especially if you get the "double whammy" of primary/secondary diagnosis together, it is important to know that there is H O P E !

Hi all, just to give a bit of hope to all you ladies going through treatment. It's 6 YEARS today since I had my op and I'm still here!!!! Love to you all, Laraine xx
Highlighted

Thank you thistle for a lovely post - as someone just passed 4 year anniversary I really hope that one day I will feel like you - I have not got there yet! You make it seem a bit more possible (like you and charhie, I don't want to tempt fate!) .
love, Mo xx

Highlighted

Wow well done Thistle - I am about to notice my 2.5 year anniversary date - but then its my sister's birthday too so thats my excuse - congrats on your progress NEd and on your retirement too, cheers N

Highlighted

Meant to say I retired in December 2011! What do I blame .........age or chemo or pills!

Highlighted

Thank you Thistle...that's a lovely post especially for the ones like me who are just coming to the end of chemo. Really inspiring xxx
Love
KQ

Highlighted

hi, thats lovely , i have just completed my 5 years since DX 2007 (ned) but i am still scared to say that, and still get nervous as i feel its tempting fate ,
hugs to all and hope it sends you comfort.
Annie

Highlighted
Community Champion
Community Champion

Thank you thistle that gives us all comfort and inspiration. xx
Highlighted
Community Champion

That's lovely thistle, sooooooooo good that you had "forgotten" the dates, it is inspiring!! xx

Highlighted

Anniversary

I don’t post very often; maybe at the back of my mind I thought I might be tempting fate.
This morning I was cutting the grass and just noticed that this was the first year the date had slipped by before I realized, so I hope this might help someone.
I was always very aware of the date of my diagnosis and was on tenterhooks during July and into August.
I was diagnosed on 21st July 2006 with lobular breast cancer in my right breast.
I had a mastectomy and immediate reconstruction and was in hospital for my 60th birthday.
I had chemotherapy and radiotherapy and took part in Tact 2 trials.
I went back to work (admin in school office) and retired at Christmas 2012.
I never thought the date would slip by me like that so I hope it inspires someone to know that at sometime it will go to the back of your mind. (believe me, I never thought it would).

Love and take care
Thistle x