Annoying curly hair!

Hi all

Has anyone got any ideas what to do with three inches of tight curlY hair?
I have tried all kinds of products on it, it is so curly and is annoying the hell out of me!
It does not suit me and i have no idea what to do with it.

HELP!

NAZ X

Oh bless, your poor thing! Was it curly before?

I am ‘blessed’ with curls (when not bald that is) and really short curls never looked good on me at all (too middle-aged or grannyish or something, just not good) but if you can wait it out it may all come right in the end when you have some flowing pre-Raphaelite locks…!

In the meantime, I reckon trying to straighten it may be best so you can try to get it into some sort of a style. I reckon when mine is growing back I’ll stick with the wigs until it looks half decent so I may be in for the long haul wig-wise.

Suggestions: Gel, straighteners, more different gel, wax may work as it makes the hair sort of heavier and less curly…
Good luck
xx

Hi naz i to have realy curly hair but i did b4 it fell out so im used to curls i use studio curl power mouse and a curl spray it just seperates the curls scrunch in dry and wax have a good mess about with it you mite be pleased with the results happy hair day

Thanks Guys

Suzy, yes i did have curly hair before, but it was much much longer and thicker with a proper fringe and everything, so it was alot nicer and more stylish.
Now it is short with tight curls - has aged me about 20 yrs (i am 38!)
I have treseme serum, trevor sorbie wax, mousse and it still looks ridiculous! Arhhhhhhh!

Elaine, i might try some of the studie curl mousee although i fear it will still look the same!

My best bet is to let it grow, but god that is taking ages too!

Sorry for the rant…i don’t want to sound ungrateful, but i so miss my old hair…

xxx

Hi Naz

This might be a daft question but … have you had your hair cut? Mine has grown back just like yours and looked horrendous. I had a blonde poker straight shiny bob before and now have course,frizzy black and grey frizz! Looked like a granny :frowning:

I went to my hairdresser who has cut it into a proper style and thinned out some of the bulk. I’ve had to buy a load of new hair styling tools and products - a hot air curling brush for drying and narrow hot brush and mini straighteners for styling. I’ve found that the Clynol Look at Me glitz shine serum really controls the curls and gives them shine & definition.

Hope you find the solution as without sounding vain it’s awful when you look in the mirror and see a stranger peering back at you.

Good luck x

Hi Lella

Do you know what - i haven’t had my hair cut - the reason being, i swore after it all went i would never get it cut again once it grew back.
It is three inches just about - do you think it can be styled at all?
It is soooo curly - it drives me nuts!

I might venture to the hair dressers in the New Year and see what they can suggest.

Grrrhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh…

xxxx

I know just what you mean - I was initially reluctant to cut my precious hair but I’m afraid vanity got in the way as I looked so hideous lol.

Mine was about 2 inches long and he’s cut it quite short at the back which controls the curls and gives shape and left the top longer which i can style and control with the tools and product.

Honestly … you won’t believe the difference - Go for it!

PS: My hairdresser told me that post chemo hair doesn’t last and hair will eventually grow normally - I didn’t know that - so I think the more regularly I have it cut the sooner I’ll have my ‘old’ hair back.

Naz - my hairdresser found a product which was a hair “smoother” rather than straightener which has taken most of the major curl away from my hair. Called L’Kerabelle and is suitable for post chemo. Other products are around - technique is called the Brazilian straightener! Lasts about 3 months after which I’m hoping the weight will get rid of most of the curl…

Delighted to report that hair now looks like mine again - in shape with just a shorter fringe than I would usually have - wahoo!!

Ooh Whitey that sounds very interesting … how long was your hair when you had it treated?

oh god I wish I had curly hair, I finished chemo 26/8 and todate I still really only have bumfluff!!! my bottom eyelashes have returned but no eyebrows to speak of and I now feel ugly. I have been positive throughout but I must admit this is adding to my post chemo/treatment blues. I long for a short crop beit curly or not it is gettin better but is taking far to long.

I really thought by now I would have a short pixie trendy crop. I am considering having my eyebrows tatooed but it costs around £350 and with the reduction in our income am struggling.

ahhhhh this is the depression I read about I assume and I thought I has got away with it, almost feels like the world is closing on at me at times (sorry to spoil your thread)

Hi Girls

I posted a very similar thread two years ago. My hair was like cork-screws and I hated it. Looked in the mirror and just didn’t recognise the person looking back.

Also posted about a year ago when I went to the hairdresser and she blew my hair straight. I was in tears. I had ‘me’ back.

It has taken over 2 years for the curl to grow/and be cut out but now it’s back to pre BC. I really didn’t think it would happen but it has - but it has taken a while.

You’ll get there.
Mal x

Awww Molsid…I am sorry you are having to experience this with your hair, it is so not nice.
How fast did your hair grow before?
It is still early days for you…the chemo drugs wil be working their way out of your body and that may slow things down a little.
Also, are you taking any hormone drugs e.g. Arimadex or Tamoxifin? I have heard that these can also slow hair growth down a bit too.

Have you got some good eye brow make up to hand , until yours return?

Sending you a big cyber hug and willing your hair to grow and grow for you!

Naz xx

Lella - hair just has to be long enough to get mini straighteners in. Mine was about 3 inches when I had it done.

Molsid - hang on in there. My hair took a few months before it really got going. Like Naz says think the after effects of chemo take a while. 8 months post chemo mine has got to 4 inches with most of that sprouting in the last few months. Eyebrows are still a little sparse but back. Encouraged my hair using a hair serum to keep the scalp soft - not sure if it helped but may be worth a try…

Going to take the plunge and get a trim in the New Year! NEVER thought I would say that! But the ‘fringe’ needs to be evened up and i think some of the weight taken out…so here goes! x

Good on you NAZ new year new woman go for it