Annual Mammogram and Sleepless Nights

My annual mammogram is due on 21st October. I’ve had the date for 6 months now, but here I am, 4 years post mastectomy, starting to worry, worry, worry. 

Am I unusual in this? Does anyone else worry to the point of sleeplessness? It’s the same every year and I hate it!

Hi Loubee, 

I’m really sorry to hear that you are feeling worried about your upcoming mammogram. I am sure many of our users have expereinced this worry and will be along to support soon. 

In the meantime, if you would like to chat it through you can always call our helpline on 0808 800 6000 who will be able to talk through any fears and questions you may have. The opening hours are below. 

Monday-Friday, 9am-5pm
Late opening Wednesday 9am-7pm
Saturday, 9am-1pm

Best wishes,

Lizzy 

I know exactly how you feel.  It’s the same every year for me too.  I had mine on Monday 12th September and managed to wait until Wednesday 14th before emailing my Breast Care Nurse to see whether she’d heard anything.  She hadn’t but by the end of that day she had e mailed me the good news that all is well.

I didn’t eat or in fact do anything for the whole of that day.  When you get a good result the relief is immense and you think ‘I won’t worry as much next year’ but when next year comes along …

I’m sure all will be well.  You are not alone in feeling like this - everyone I speak to feels the same.

**bleep** Luck

I know exactly how you feel.  It’s the same every year for me too.  I had mine on Monday 12th September and managed to wait until Wednesday 14th before emailing my Breast Care Nurse to see whether she’d heard anything.  She hadn’t but by the end of that day she had e mailed me the good news that all is well.

I didn’t eat or in fact do anything for the whole of that day.  When you get a good result the relief is immense and you think ‘I won’t worry as much next year’ but when next year comes along …

I’m sure all will be well.  You are not alone in feeling like this - everyone I speak to feels the same.

Good Luck

I have mine every 18 months which seems to be the thing where I’m living and 2 years post surgery I’m just concerned this is often enough . Do other people have to wait this long? My last mammogram was November last year and now my next one is June next year?it seems so long to wait .its a horrible time and I think we all feel the same way . I for one certainly panic big time waiting for results ,it’s reliving it all is the problem I reckon ?

I understand completely. I had my 4th annual mammogram early on in December. Two days later I was contacted by the radiologist asking me to go back for an ultrasound and I was given an appt for 3 days later. On the day I was told that it looked like a cyst but to be absolutely sure I had biopsies taken. I lost half a stone in a week whilst waiting for the results. It was confirmed that it was fibroadenoma. Phew! The relief was indescribable. When I saw the breast consultant I asked about having the breast removed. He agreed to do it in 3 months time and was very understanding and empathetic. He could see the black rings under my eyes. I cannot think of anything else in my life causing this level of stress. I am looking forward to my first xmas in 5 years without the worry of pending results. I wish you well. Sending big hugs to all xx

Hi, the waiting is torture isn’t it? I’m not due my first annual mam until May but I also have to have other parts of me checked out on a regular basis (underlying genetic condition) - I had biopsies taken from my oesophagus about 10 days ago and haven’t been given any date or idea how or when I will get the results. It’s driving me round the bend, not sleeping much, not eating very well, constant high state of anxiety - horrible. I don’t know if the people on the ‘other’ side of the system really appreciate how much stress it puts most folk under.