Annual check up

Hi everyone:

I wonder if someone would be kind enough to answer my question. I had a grade 3 invasive tumour and 4 lymph nodes (no signs then of anything spreading to them) removed in November last year (after a seven week wait) and then had radiotherapy and am currently taking anastrozole. In January I noticed that I had a long swollen lump running from the site of my lymph node removal to my operation scar. Went back to see the consultant who said that all was well, so good in fact that after my annual follow up appointment he will probably discharge me.

My question is this: I’m quite surprised given that the tumour was invasive and had rapidly doubled in size during the wait for surgery that I won’t be seen again. Also on returning for the annual checkup is it usual to have a mammogram etc as the lump wasn’t picked up either by the consultant or my GP when they examined me previously. As I was put on the fast forward trial at the hospital that did the radiotherapy they will still be seeing me for the next five years.

I wasn’t particularly impressed by my consultant and I think it’s good to go to these things knowing what the norm is

Best wishes and good luck to every one x

Hi Sally47,

In my area you will not be signed off until 5 years after diagnosis, you see onc and surgeon first and second years, then they alternate for the next three. First mammo is 18 months after diagnosis. Reading other posts it does seem to be different depending where you live, hope this helps xx

Hi Sally47

I was dx with grade 3 invasive bc l feb 2012, I had 3/20 lymph nodes affected so had to have chemo as well as lumpectomy and rads, when I had my first year check I had a manual check, then a mamo I also had a ultrasound scan as I had some lumps/bumps I was worried about but it was scar tissue , I now  have to go back yearly for my mamo but if I have any concerns can ring my open access nurse who will then decide if Ii need to be seen , I thinlk this is how it is at most hospitals ( I am under the royal marsden ) , you will def have a mamo on first year and then annually after but if you are ever concerned about anything you need to be persistant and make sure you are listened to, hope this helps hun good luck hope all goes ok

x

I was grade 2 and 5 nodes - rads and tamoxifen and zolodex. I’m 40. I too would like to know this - I’m due for 12 month check in Feb - I am desperate for those scans. Looking on the positive side if they were worried then they wouldn’t be discharging you but it’s so scary - I think we all need monthly scans to make us feel safe! Hope all went / goes well xx