75.2K members
1.2M posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Another 'celebrity' diagnosis

Re: Another 'celebrity' diagnosis

Bravo Bernie Nolan! Just watched her talking to Lorraine Kelly on GMTV and I thought she was great! She is definitely out there in support of all women fighting or potentially facing this ordeal.

She was so lively and positive and with lots of fighting spirit and fighting talk as we all can be on good days. I hope she has lots of good days and not too many down days. She made me laugh with the mention of buying new garden furniture as she will be spending the summer at home having treatment - definitely lookng on the bright side!

E xxx

Yes l can fully understand what you are saying welshgirl, and sorry you had no one for you when you were hospitalised with a breakdown.
I suppose it is just how things work out for each of us, we all have our own roads to go down.
A few years ago my sil had depression, and was hospitalised for 6 months,but she was lucky enough to have all the family around and they all gave her so much support, and now she is through the other side.
I am having the same support from family and friends, but l fear l will never get through the other side as sil did, as l have so many nodes involved.
So perhaps that is the way l read the Patricia Goddard story, to me there was an end to the depression.
I wish you well, and hope you get some peace with the depression,
Sandra xxx

I can empathise with Chipper and Welsh girl. I worked in the mental health field (and now have BC)

and I know that the level of support and sympathy for anyone with BC and the financial, emotional and practical support available for us- is of a completely different order of magnitude from that extended to people with mental illness.- particularly long term illness.

I haven't suffered this myself but having been professionally involved with many who have- and their families - I do think mental illness is harder to cope with - and can be equally life- threatening.

Agree again with Welsh Girl - I had mental health issues over many years and when it was very severe I used to just want to go to sleep and never wake up. It is very hard - many of my friends know about my bc diagnosis, but few know of my struggles with OCD and the treatments I've gone through. I would find it very hard to explain and would be afraid of people looking at me in a different way...isn't that very sad.
I do agree that the Martina N reporting was a bit hysterical and over the top,and compared with what lots of people have to go through,her treatment for DCIS is comparatively easy- but people diagnosed with DCIS still have a cancer dx and their experiences shouldn't be brushed off as nothing much.

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi everybody
I think we all feel a huge amount of sympathy for anyone with bc, and would welcome anybody to this forum, celebrity or not.
It's the reporting that can be very annoying. There was a another thread about Martina, and the gripe was the way papers are portraying it. Its particularly upsetting when they make such a drama (shocking, tragic, etc) about a relatively small amount of bc with a good prognosis - how does that make those in a worse position feel?
Also, if you are struggling financially it is impossible not to draw comparisons.
But the main thing is that an opportunity to present some useful information and have informed debate, so that the public can understand more about the disease, is lost yet again.
Sarah

Guest user
Not applicable

I suffer with severe mental health issues and live with depression and now since August 2009 have been diagnosed with BC. They are very different in their form but when I was hospitalised with a breakdown no one came to visit me during my stay whereas when diagnosed with BC people around me were so supportive and open with their care.

I have found the times in between active treatment people have become scarce and I've found it very lonely indeed as I am on my own. The depressive thoughts have followed but I have always had BCC helplines here as well as a MacMillan Nurse to call on. The support here has been amazing whereas when you have a mental illness the stigma prevents friends,family and society from supporting you.

It is very different and I said at the very beginning that the difference in support made BC more possible to bear. The stigma and isolation with a mental illness is worse. My BC journey with its mx and awaiting rads is hard and it has been a lonely struggle but I agree with Tricia Goddard that mental illness is more difficult to bear and it never ends...
I am hopeful that my BC will have an ending but I am aware that others on this site do not have that comfort. My Mum died of secondaries so I speak with a little understanding as her carer.

has anyone seen the Tricia Goddard quote in the mail and mirror!!! this week............She explained: "I don't see cancer as the worst thing that can happen to you. I've often said that my mental illness was worse. It's harder to go through that because you don't have the support like you do with cancer.

"With breast cancer, at least people talk about it, wear pink ribbons, people are open about it and there's far more support there."
Wish l just had to wear a pink ribbon!!!!!!!!!
Think there may be a book coming out!
Sandra xxx

Guest user
Not applicable

some times dont you think it whats level of celebrity who do the big spreads and boasts on how they are positive and will beat it and kick its arse.

plenty of A listers have had cancer - yet I haven't seen them doing NOTW double page interviews or front page on OK magazine.

i really dont agree with cancer interviews being used to promote next years tour!!!!! perhaps it was tongue in cheek or wishful positive thinking but profiting from cancer really riles me while so many are struggling, if money is to be made from having cancer - give it back to NHS......which is also suffering.

i also found the quote on node cancer very bizarre and agree that martine should be using her fame to promote DCIS and explain the difference and variety of BC and why she will be able to climb a mountain this year wile other women diagnosed the same time as her will still be of sick or even hopsitalied through chemo.

Debbie

I agree with Welsh girl's post - it's not a competition to see who is suffering most. I'm sure those with 'morsels' of DCIS feel great reading that their particular diagnosis is being brushed aside so lightly.

Guest user
Not applicable

My reference to Martina's tiny morsel of DCIS is that she is lucky enough not to have any experience of chemotherapy, mastectomy, Herceptin. She does not have mets and her prognosis is so good it is likely that she is cured.
Her experience does not reflect the experience of the majority of women with this disease. And yes - she doesn't have to worry about how to pay the mortgage or what to do with the kids.
My son was 14 months old when I was dx-ed and I am a single parent.
I don't want or need Martina wittering on about 'kicking its ass' and climbing Kilimanjaro. I just need to pay my bills and try to stay alive long enough to bring my son up.

She does not represent me as a normal woman with breast cancer and I do not wish her to be my spokeswoman. That's all.

As for educating people about this disease via the media - all I keep reading is utter rubbish. In connection with Bernie Nolan some paper said she had "node cancer not hormone cancer". What meaningless rubbish.
Then some DJ has been given the "all clear" eventhough she was only diagnosed in May 2009!
Highlighting this disease in the media is only of value if the facts are accurate. And if women aren't made to feel inadequate because they haven't jogged to chemo (Trisha Goddard) or climbed Kilimanjaro.

Guest user
Not applicable

When I found out about the ILC my first concern was my children, how do I tell them, how do I look after them if I am not well. And you are right, you just do because they are your first priority and I will do anything to make sure my kids don't suffer because I have BC.
And if any of this media attention make people more aware of the disease it can only be a good thing!

Welsh girl - I do hear what you're saying, but I did have a chuckle at 'Martina's tiny morsel of DCIS!'

To all of you with young children, how do you cope? Not that you have a choice, you just have to.

Guest user
Not applicable

Seems theres quite a few celebrity stories around BC at the moment - here's another one:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/8643129.stm

Theres a charity single being made aswell, a cover of Cyndi Lauper's Girls Just Want To Have Fun - proceeds for Cancer Research UK.

If it helps make people more aware of the disease, and check themselves more often then hopefully some good will come out of all the recent headlines.

Guest user
Not applicable

Tina totally with you, i have had no help and have 2 small children. Once i get through this i will certainly be putting pressure on the governement to reprioritse their funding for mothers who are too ill to look after their children. But dont get me started. Thank god i have the best husband in the whole world!

Guest user
Not applicable

Oh dear, I am very alarmed to read some of the comments here.
Surely each and every woman, regardless of being a celebrity or not has to deal with a tremendous amount of emotional turmoil when diagnosed with BC whether it be 'a tiny morsel of DCIS' or a tumour... How this is represented by the media is out of their control and bears no reflection on how they are dealing with this news. They have a number of issues to contend with that may be different from ours, in our non-celebrity lives but they all have to be dealt with.

I hope if any of these recent women who we've read about were to come on this forum, they would be respected for their personal circumstances and supported. None of this is a competition!

We happen to know more about these celebrities' lives from the media but they too deserve our compassion, just as we offer support to all the anonymous women on this site. I have benefitted greatly from the support here. I would not wish to condemn another woman because of a news report of ambiguous information.

Best wishes to anyone suffering the curse of a BC diagnosis.
I hope more research into this disease can help future sufferers and their individual circumstances. Living with BC on your own, with a family, with a partner, or in the public eye all present unique circumstances that are difficult to tolerate.
Welsh girl

Guest user
Not applicable

Martina N does not have to worry about childcare, cost of hospital parking or making sure the family is looked after whilst recovering from major surgery, however, she is still facing the BC dx.
I wish that the reporting would focus more on how much more research and funding BC needs and ensuring women like us who are not front page news get as much support as they need! Every woman in this country diagnosed with BC should have the reassurance that her treatment is the most up to date and effective treatment available not just the most cost effective! xxxTina

double ditto janey, i hate 'the brave fight' stuff....got no bl**dy choice have we......but i do wish her well, wouldn't wish this on anyone, luv pauline xxx

Guest user
Not applicable

ditto lillythepink!

x

Guest user
Not applicable

I think i must be a bad person, i has just angry when i saw that it is being sensationalised, front page news, the brave fight. We are all dealing with it, but do we shout from the roof tops for sympathy, we just get on with the sickness, hair loss, fear, and alot more.
I wish her all the best, but do hope a book or dvd doesnt come out of it

There is an interview with her in the NoTW today where she says she was diagnosed last week and they will tell her whether or not she is Her2+ when she goes back to the hospital this week. I didn't think they could give you the answer on Her2 that quickly, but I believe this was the diagnosis Linda Nolan got a few years back.

The standard of research into the story was even more appalling than the stuff you get in the Daily Mail - I didn't think anyone could beat their health pages lol! Also, the Dr Hillary Jones summing up is quite poor as well. I think a lot of women could read this report and be very confused by it.

I watched Bernie on that too, & really warmed to her. Wish her all the best with what's to come.
Missed Martina on Loose Women, now that I'm back at work part time I'm missing my daily fixes like this.

I wish Bernie all the best for her treatment...we all know what a tough road she now has to tread, I hope all goes well for her...and treatment isn't too harsh.

I watched her recently on pop start to opera star and thought she performed fantastically..she is a very down to Earth Lady with no airs and graces and funny too..

Fiona xxx

Guest user
Not applicable

If the Daily Mail is to be believed (and that is a BIG if!) Bernie Nolan's is triple neg and has spread to the nodes. She is due to have a mastectomy and chemo.
This disease certainly appears to have a grip on that family.
Let's hope the media spares us all of that Trisha "jogged to chemo" Goddard stuff that makes women feel so inadequate.

Martina with her tiny morsel of DCIS has annoyed me enormously. We need "spokeswomen" like her like a hole in the head.

Guest user
Not applicable

Yes I saw that in todays paper too. It will be interesting to see how its reported - it must be very worrying for all her sisters. Did anyone see Martina Navratilova on "Loose Women" a couple of weeks ago? Maybe it was just me but she really made light of breast cancer (despite saying the day she found out she had it was her 9/11). She made a joke of not needing a masectomy or chemo (saying she needs as much boobs & hair as poss) which I felt was really insensitive. I was fortunate too and didn't need a masectomy (in the end) or chemo but my heart went out to all the ladies that may have been watching that did have to go down that road........
She hadn't had radiotheraphy at that time so she is only half way through her treatment. Mind you she said she is going to climb Mount Kilimanjaro in December so had to admire her for that!

Anyway just thought I would find out what others thought.
Love to all
Kyra
x

Another 'celebrity' diagnosis

I see in todays news that another of the singing family, the Nolans, has been diagnosed with BC-the third in the group.
It will be interesting, as usual, to see how this is reported....