Another newbie, sorry to see so many of us!

Hi,

I’m 34 and was diagnosed last week with invasive ductal, HER2 and estrogen +ve, already spread to my lymph nodes and unsure about the rest.

I’m having a double mastectomy with latissimus dorsi reconstructions next week (no implants), then chemo, radio, Herceptin etc.

Having to try to work though it all as I only get Statutory Sick Pay and my husband has no recourse to public funds (I sponsor his visa) so no welfare benefits for us (confirmed by Macmillan and the CAB).

Lost my mum last year to breast cancer, losing my best friend right now (she had a late diagnosis in June, has brain, liver and bone mets).

Husband suffers from depression so is trying to support but struggling. I’ve signposted him to various support networks and he can access counselling and carers support networks through work, which is a damn sight more than I can! No family support, that died with my mum.

Feeling ok so far but would love to hear from other younger women who have had a double mx with LD recon as I’m a bit scared about that. Worried about muscle weakness and losing my strength etc.

Work aren’t good with me making phone calls during the day and I don’t always get lunch breaks, so I can’t access most helpline support services, so I may be on here quite a bit!

Feeling strong so far, expected this to come for some time. I’m not BRAC1 or 2 +ve but I have a really strong family history of this. Just hoping I can buck the trend and beat it!

So, hello from me :slight_smile:

Hi Fearn

Welcome to the BCC discussion forums, you’ve come to the right place for some good, honest support from the many informed users of this site, who I hope will now see your post and get back to you.

The helpline here is open weekdays 9-5 and is also open Saturdays between 10am and 2pm, calls are free 0808 800 6000, the staff are here to support you.

Could I also suggest that you try posting in the newly diagnosed area of these forums where I think you may get more response  here’s the link:  forum.breastcancercare.org.uk/t5/I-am-recently-diagnosed/ct-p/recently_diagnosed

Take care, Jo, Moderator