370372posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Another newly devastated of Bury St Edmunds

Gennie

Re: Another newly devastated of Bury St Edmunds

Glad to hear you got out so quickly Carole. I found the first couple of days quite easy going apart from post op fuzziness, but yesterday evening and today I'm in a bit of pain again. My shoulder is very stiff still and, although the wounds seem to be healing ok, the rest of my breast and around the side from my breast under my arm are a very deep purple colour and very sore and I'm back to regular paracetamol. I don't think there's infection or anything, I don't feel ill or feverish and DH says it looks "ok" to him (as much as an aubergine colour can!) but one of the wounds is bleeding a tiny bit and I'm very swollen. However, I wasn't given drains or dressings after the op so I suppose all the gunk that's accumulated in there from the op and healing needs to slowly drain itself away before I feel better. It's eased off a bit since I've got up and about but I have to be careful what I do with my left side. I think maybe I expected a quicker recovery than is reasonable in the circs. Patience is not my strong point.

I'm dying to be able to wash that side properly but I'm scared to. I've showered with DH aiming the spray at my undamaged areas and washed my hair a couple of times, but I want to give my armpit a proper good washing. All I've managed so far is a flannel wash there, which just feels really bizarre because the whole area is numb. I want to feel proper CLEAN.

Aside from that I'm ready to kick this barsteward's bottom from here to kingdom come. I'll do whatever that takes and I know a lot of it isn't going to be pleasant, but anything other than a complete recovery from this is NOT an option.

Here come the girls....... ;o)

salopets

Thanks Carole

Didn't get to the gym this morning - woke up with a thumping headache and didn't think it was a good idea. Not sleeping too well at the moment - I think I'm overtired, but sick of sitting around. Bl@@dy Christmas! Went for a long walk on the downs this morning instead of the gym and feel a bit better now. It was lovely up there, sunny but freezing and hardly anyone around - just what I needed. Hopefully, I'll sleep tonight - might just do some yoga before bed too, just to make sure!

Sal

CaroleD

Hi Sal

Don't beat yourself up too much about getting down. This isn't exactly an easy thing to go through. A bit surreal in fact. At least you get to go to the gym for a bit longer. I'm soooooo bored! Can't lift anything heavy till I'm healed, and I took the dogs out for a walk today and definitely felt the ouch factor under my arm just from walking for 40 minutes. I absolutely hate not feeling like myself, but I haven't needed more than paracetamol today though, so that's good. I'm going to try lower body exercises tomorrow, just for something to do. Good for a solid alien a@@ kicking I was thinking.

Apart from op recovery, I'm finding myself far more clear headed now that the lump is out. I suppose, even though I don't know what's coming next, or even if we've got it all, it's the fact that something has happened. Hopefully you'll get a bit of an up after the MRI when you know what surgery you're getting.

Strange times indeed.

Carole

salopets

Di, congratulations! Glad you were out so quickly. I agree, time just disappears when you are under - I had shoulder surgery last year which lasted about three hours, but it felt like a second. It's amazing isn't it? Apart from the throwing up afterwards!!

Well, from alien fighter to jibbering wreck in less than 12 hours - that was me yesterday. 12 of us out for a curry Christmas lunch and I was doing really well until about 4:45 pm, when I suddenly got REALLY tired. Working 8 consecutive days before Chrismas just got to me I think. Anyway, I suddenly got all emotional and that was it for the rest of the day. Christmas has been a bad time for me over the years - I lost my mother at the age of 46 on 22 December 1976 and I think all this has just brought it all back. I know that's a long time ago, but I think something like that always stays with you. Sorry, I'm getting morbid now. That was then, this is now and I WILL get back to being laid back about it, like I was a few days ago.

Anyway, think I'll go to the gym in the morning and try to get back to some sort of normality for a couple of days before my MRI on Wed. Maybe that will make me stop feeling sorry for myself - really hate that! I will get my brain in gear. I will get my brain in gear. I will get my brain in gear....... Now where did I leave my alien exterminator?

Sal x

CaroleD

Merry Christmas one and all!

Glad to hear you're out Gennie. Have a wonderful holiday time, stay relaxed, and we'll take the next step as it comes.

I was first on the list yesterday and got to go home at 4 in the afternoon provided I took it really easy last night, and again today. Actually I feel pretty good. I'm taped up to about a G cup (interesting size to say the least!), and go in on Monday to have my surgeon check the dressings, swelling etc. The general anaesthetic was amazing! I've never had one before. I asked the anaesthetist what she was putting in now, she said "This is the stuff that makes you sleep", then I woke up! Unbelievable. I'll never be scared of that again!

So that's the first stage over. Phew! Next is the results day on 6 Jan to see what's still there (hopefully nothing), and what the treatment plan is.

Sal, with realisation comes great strength! Terrible Spiderman misquote, I know..... Love the Sigourney Weaver idea. Yes, strong, fighting women. I'm also thinking Lara Croft (with all this post surgery padding, I can definitely do the bosom!). I'll give it a day or so to make sure I'm clear of op fuzziness, but then it's into the crunches, leg lunges etc. Might as well be strong in body as well as mind and attitude! I've never been a great meditation person or anything, but I thought I'd give visualisation a go, so I've been visualising myself full of brilliant, white light that blasts everything bad away. Kind of like Fiona in Shrek when she "takes loves true form", lifting off with white light blasting out of her. Great scene! I know, I know, I'm 45 and should be watching deep and meaningful stuff.

Di, glad to hear you're going in so soon. It's not exactly the your top pick of ways to spend a day, but stay relaxed and it's not that bad. The hospital sandwich they give you in recovery is by far and away the worst part!

I'm happy to go through my experience in more detail if it helps at all. Let me know.

Have a wonderful day everyone.

salopets

Happy Christmas everyone! I've been too busy working this week to post, but I've now got 6 days off - bliss!

Glad everything went well Gennie, just enjoy Christmas.

Carol, welcome - there are loads of us out there aren't there? I think I've got to the bolshy stage now too. Think Sigourney Weaver in the Alien films! I had the realisation a couple of days ago that I am now officially a cancer patient. How pathetic, feeble etc does that sound! Well, I'm none of those and I'm bu@@ered if I'm going to let this beat me! So look out cancer - I'm out to get you!

Sal x

Dizzydi

Hey Gennie, glad you are home and ok.

I agree, parking the whole thing till after christmas is a good idea.

We're standing on the road with you...sparkly shoes at the ready!

Hugs

Di xx

vertangie

Congrats on getting home so quick Gennie. Glad you did and quite right about parking it until after the new year. You enjoy Christmas and New Year... have a very very very merry time.

Angie

Gennie

Carole - you'll be on the first few steps down the road as I'm typing this - hopefully they'll let you home later today so you can have Christmas at home. I got home from hospital yesterday, so was only in for one night, and would have been allowed out the same day if it hadn't been for my pesky blood pressure. One lady went home the same day with a mastectomy!

I get my results on 7th Jan but I'm parking that thought until after New Year. I'm going to put on my ruby slippers and have myself a bl@@dy good Christmas with my family.

We're off to see the Wizard..... ;o)

CaroleD

Hi
I just started a post, and then I found this one, which is exactly what I was after! Thanks. Mind if I post here? We all seem to be in the same boat, diagnosed a few days ago in effect.

I go to surgery tomorrow, Christmas Eve, age 45. This was definitely unexpected! I was pretty numb Tuesday and Wednesday last week, started to get my head round it on Thursday, then got thrown again when the biopsy confirmed what the surgeon had already told me (and I think I knew in my heart anyway). Saturday was a bit of a daze again, but now I'm thinking, just get on with it, get the thing out, and let's move on to the next stage. I'm the same, I won't actually know what it is for another couple of weeks, or if it's spread, but what the heck. Like my surgeon said, go to hospital on Christmas Eve with cancer, wake up on Christmas Day without it. Ok, a bit simplistic, but I understand the psychology she's using. It is just one day at a time, each day moving forward, staying positive, and staying in fight mode. Am I going to let a bunch of bolshy cells ruin my day? Like heck I am (see, I'm being good about not swearing, at least on line!). I am going to kick its other word for donkey!

We can do it. Yellow brick road here we go!

salopets

Gennie & Di

Good luck both - you'll be sorted before me. MRI on 31 Dec and probably won't get decision on treatment until 9 Jan. Still, they found it early, so I'm not too bothered about the wait, (if I say that often enough, do you think I'll eventually believe it?) although it would be nice to have something to focus on.

Too busy at the moment to think too much. Just got back from work (my 5th day in 8 consecutive days up to Christmas) and about to put my feet up. Well, I've got to keep my strength up haven't I?

Great image of the yellow brick road - we've got a customer at work I call the wicked witch of the west! Do you think if I click my heels together I'll wake up and this will all be a dream? I still can't believe its true! You're right Di - someone else must be wrong, because there's nothing wrong with me. ( I think I'm in denial)

Thinking of you tomorrow Gennie. If I could give you some nerve I would, but hope it helps to know that we're out there rooting for you. Let me know how you get on.

Somewhere over the rainbow......
Someday I'll wish upon a star
and wake up where the clouds are far behind me
Where troubles melt like lemon drops
away above the chimney tops
that's where you'll find me

You better believe it!!

Sal xx

debbi

i was scared in bury st edmunds too ,thats why i have moved back home,doctors r crap down there,was only there a yr but thank god i am not there anymore,hubby in forces thats y i was there ,gone back to normal life ,normal docs etc,but i was under west suffolk and it was rubbish.......sorry guys...............

Dizzydi

Gennie your post made me smile! The thought of several tearful women walking down the yellow brick road..I'm off to the shops to buy my sparkly shoes.

I too am NEVER ill. Never off work. Going through a total disbelief stage. Someone must be wrong (never me).

Saw consultant today, booked in for lumpectomy the monday after christmas. .....

Holds out her hands and starts to sing in a wobbly voice.."we're off to see the wizard..."

Hugs

Di x x

Gennie

That's exactly how I feel. I feel so well, how can I have this awful thing in me?

I had a bit of a hiccup this morning as I went in for my pre op stuff and I was in such a tizz my blood pressure was through the roof! I was very tearful and frightened and everybody kept saying "it's only to be expected" but it didn't help. There was talk of not doing the op on Monday, which freaked me out even more, but now the anaesthetist has said he's happy to do it so long as I start taking beta blockers tomorrow to keep a lid on me before I completely boil over!

I just had an image of those of us who are just beginning this journey holding hands walking down the yellow brick road like in the Wizard of Oz lol!!

I'm feeling a bit cowardly lionish today - I need some nerve!

salopets

Di

We're in the same boat - I think I'll feel better after the MRI, when I know if it's a lumpectomy or mastectomy. Although I'm now in the disbelief stage. I'm so fit and healthy, I hardly ever even get a cold! So this now seems all a bit unreal. Is that normal guys?

Sal

Dizzydi

Hi Gennie

I was diagnosed last week, I am waiting to hear what I will have done and when........

Holding your hand tight...you aren't alone

Hugs

Di x x

Zippy

Hi Gennie,

Just want to echo what the others said - I was diagnosed nearly 6 years ago now when I was 29yrs old and I cant deny its not a big shock when you are first diagnosed, but it does get better in time, each day, each week, each month, each year gets better and you realise that yes ok its happened to you but its better to live your life and not mope too much and appreciate everything and everyone around you. I appreciate you prob feel this is easier said than done at the moment, but it will get easier.

The treatment nowadays is so much better than when I was first diagnosed so please dont worry there are amazing treatments now.

I had a lumpectomy, and it was fine, I think I was back at work 2 weeks after.

At least you can get this all out of the way before christmas with the op, cant believe you can get the op so quick ! please enjoy christmas with your family, and also make sure you accept all offers of any help dont try to juggle the christmas dinner, etc on your own! im sure all your friends and family will help and dont feel bad about asking or accepting help, get as much rest as you can it will help healing faster.

Take care, and good luck for your op on Monday, and enjoy christmas. (you can do it!)

Rachel 🙂 xx

tawnyowl

Hi Genie and salopets, I can read your posts now and I am so sorry to hear that you have had this terrible news just before Christmas, but as has already been said, it dose not matter what time of year - its horrid.

I had the same as redders my op was in September this year. I know how you feel and yes, this is the worst time for you. Not knowing what your diagnosis will be is the very hardest part and its natural to feel scared - we all did. But things really do get better.

Be assured that you will not be kept in hospital for very long, I too was discharged the next day after my op. They were even considering letting me home with my drain still in, but decided at the last minute to remove it. They really do want to send us home asap....promise!

I hope you get the best possible news and be assured that once you know exactly what you are dealing with and going through treatment, you will be fine.

If you want to ask anything....I mean anything just fire away I will be happy to reply. Meanwhile I send my possitive thoughts to you and a big hug (((((((Gennie)))))) and ((((((salopets))))))

Best wishes Chrissie

Jo_BCC

Hi Gennie and salopets,

Welcome to the forums! As both of you are newly diagnosed I have put below for you links to some of BCC's publications that you might find helpful. These are all free of charge and can either be downloaded or ordered on line (except for the first one, the resource pack which is an A5 binder full of useful information which has to be posted out to you)

Resource pack: http://www.breastcancercare.org.uk/content.php?page_id=7514
Treating breast cancer: http://www.breastcancercare.org.uk/content.php?page_id=670
Your operation and recovery: http://www.breastcancercare.org.uk/content.php?page_id=714

If you need someone to talk to in confidence then the BCC helpline is there for you. The staff here are all either breast care nurses or people who have personal experience of breast care issues. Calls to the helpline are free, 0808 800 6000, lines open Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm and Sat 9am - 2pm

I hope some or all of this is of help to you both.

Kind regards,
Jo, Facilitator

redders

Hi Gennie!

As others will tell you the shock will wear off as you start to cope with your treatment etc. I had a lumpectomy in June this year and was in for only one night and out the next morning at 10am. I had full use of my arm despite Sentinal Node Biopsy and felt really okay. I was told that on the NHS some people come out the same day, but as I was treated privately I could stay the night!! It must be awful for you so close to Christmas, but you are being treated VERY quickly and at least you will know that its been removed and after Christmas you will be able to cope with whatever you need next. Very good wishes to you.

V.

salopets

Gennie

Don't worry about what other people have. Everyone's situation is different and therefore everyone's treatment is different.

Your mind will slow down. Mine did yesterday, very suddenly, after being diagnosed last Friday. Have to wait for an MRI on 31 Dec to decide whether I need lumpectomy or mastectomy. I had all the what-ifs too - it's crazy, but I think everyone has to go to the worst place before they can come back up again, and YOU WILL.

Don't worry about them not letting you out of hospital, especially at Christmas - they want to get rid of as many people as possible before Christmas day! I keep telling myself nothing can be more painful than the broken shoulder/torn rotator cuff injury and subsequent surgery I had a couple of years ago!

Good luck - I'm sure you'll be fine.

Sally

Gennie

Thanks Angie, hugs are most welcome!! At least I don't have long to wait until we get cracking with getting this horrible thing out of me. I have no idea what sort of cancer it is or what grade, he didn't tell me and I'm not sure I want to know just at the moment really. I have my pre-op tomorrow and go in on Monday. It's interesting already from reading here the different approaches that are taken. Some people with tumours the same size as mine seem to have chemo to shrink them before removal because they are considered big, whereas the first step for me is a lumpectomy with no question of attempting to shrink it first. I was given the choice of mastectomy, but the consultant said he's happy that lumpectomy will be sufficient at the moment. I asked him what he'd recommend if I was his wife and that's what he said.

My mind keeps racing too far ahead and going over all the what-ifs. I need to slow it down and take it one thing at a time, I know. I just want to be home for Christmas. The doc seemed to think I'd only be in for one night, but I know what hospitals are like - once they get you in there it's very difficult to get out again!! I'm really not good with hospitals - I have a bit of a phobia thing going on.

Argh!!!

vertangie

Hi Gennie

We can see your post now, really sorry you've joined us and really annoyed that you've been made to wait for your referral.

I'm sure that you'll get loads of advice and help here. You're right about being in shock. I'm afraid to say that it takes a while to wear of but once you start the treatment it starts to get a lot easier although I can appreciate that with 3 young kids and christmas around the corner it's extra tough.

The surgery probably won't be as bad as you think and you'll be home before too long. I'm sure you have a lot of questions so do fire away and we'll help as much as we can.

I was diagnosed aged 33 just after the new year this year so I know it's a bad time to be dealing with this (not like there's a good of course) and like everyone else was practically paralysed by fear for a while and couldn't believe this was happening to me but nearly one year on I've found I can cope a lot better than I thought and have just had my birthday and starting to feel a lot better about life so hang in there, it's a rough road for a while but where you're at now is the hardest bit in my experience. Good luck and hugs (I expect you need them right now).

Angie

vertangie

Chrissie... It's probably a case of the person has just joined the forum and is waiting for a moderator to approve the signup before we can see her/his post.

Anyway, I'm sure one of the mods will let it through soon so we can help.

Angie

Gennie

Try again - for some reason my posts are blank even though I can see them?

Gennie

That's odd - it's showing up ok on my screen. This is what i posted:

Hello all

I am in a total state of shock, having been diagnosed with breast cancer today. My GP originally fobbed me off in September, then sent me as a non-urgent referral last month so I wasn't too worried. Then today the devastating news that I have a 3cm tumour and am to have a lumpectomy next Monday.

I really don't know how to feel. One minute I'm upset, the next I'm postive but mostly I'm just numb. I'm 41 and I have 3 young children. It's Christmas next week!

In need of some kind words and reassurance more than I can say right now.

I hope you can read this ok?

tawnyowl

Hi there,

Saw this post and found it empty? If you are, as you have posted "newly devastated", then maybe you just don't know how to start saying whatever it is you want to say?

We all probably found it very hard to start a new thread, I know I did! So, if you don't feel able to reply to this then maybe you could come in via a 'moderator'? They are very helpful and would be pleased to start a post for you.

I will check back to see if you have replied. Don't be scared, anything you want to say will not shock us, or be judged! Thats not what we are all hear for. We just support each other. Be brave and join in, it makes me feel a lot better and am sure it will for you too!

Best wishes Chrissie xxx

Gennie

Another newly devastated of Bury St Edmunds

***FOR ANYBODY WHO IS INTERESTED, THIS THREAD IS THE ORIGIN OF THE STORM RIDERS - WE'VE MOVED OVER TO THE TREATMENT SECTION NOW BUT THIS IS WHERE IT ALL STARTED***

Hello all

I am in a total state of shock, having been diagnosed with breast cancer today. My GP originally fobbed me off in September, then sent me as a non-urgent referral last month so I wasn't too worried. Then today the devastating news that I have a 3cm tumour and am to have a lumpectomy next Monday.

I really don't know how to feel. One minute I'm upset, the next I'm postive but mostly I'm just numb. I'm 41 and I have 3 young children. It's Christmas next week!

In need of some kind words and reassurance more than I can say right now.