Another newly diagnosed member

Hi everyone.

I was diagnosed with grade 2 invasive ductal bc on 19thJune.

At the time, my family were amazed at how well I took the news but now I just feel an emotional wreck…I suppose it didn’t really sink in at the time plus I was having an unrelated operation the following day which probably took my mind off it a little.

In spite of my roller-coaster of emotions, I’m determined this bloody disease isn’t going to get the better of me. I’ve loads of things I still want to do.

Maggie xx

Hi Maggie

Like you I have Grade 2 invasive ductal and DCIS. I was diagnosed 17 may and had another wle and sentinel node 2 weeks ago -results from that this tuesday. At first I took it all very calmy but the constant waiting for results to fill in another bit of the jigsaw takes its toll!! My sleep is very broken which doesn’t help. I am trying to just accept the roller coaster and put my energy into fighting the blasted thing. I have found this site invaluable for info and support. It’s a steep learning curve. Be kind to yourself.

Cyber hugs winging your way.

Jayne xxx

Hi Maggie.
So sorry you find yourself in this ‘club’ no one wants to join. I’m glad you’re remaining positive. I too have never thought this is going to beat me. I am just looking forward to 2014!! This site and the wonderful ladies on here have helped every step of the way. I couldn’t have got this far without them. Good luck with your treatment and come and chat whenever you feel like it.
Take care
hugs Emma xx

I too was diagnosed with grade 2 IDC on the 4th April have since undergone WLE and SLNB no nodes or vascular invasion and start my rads on the 3rd of July all has been straightforward so far, when you have your treatment plan organised you will feel in control beware tho there is an awful lot of waiting hope all goes Ok good luck hunni :slight_smile:

Thank you for the good wishes and cyber hugs xx

I’ve now got a date for surgery (wle and snb) on 9th July

When I saw consultant today she said it was quite small (12mm) and ER+, Her - and there didn’t appear to be any nodal involvement so I’m feeling very positive.

Hi Maggie this all sounds very hopeful for you and all I can say is try and “clear the decks” so you can relax after your op and enjoy being waited on. When all is said and done, fighting cancer can be best done on the sofa. If you have chemo after your op don’t forget there are usually threads on here where people who are going through it at the same time can form informal groups and lend support to each other and people iin other groups. Having said that there doesn’t appear to be a group for July…yet!

Thanks Penny
Yes, it does sound very hopeful. There hasn’t been any mention of chemo just rads.
I’ve been keeping myself busy since the initial diagnosis last week so that I’ll be able to relax and have “me” time after the op.
The only thing that’s getting me down is that my partner, who I don’t see very much of anyway but we speak every day, is off to the States to work for 4-6 weeks on Saturday. Could really do with him being here but needs must. We don’t even get to chat a great deal when he’s there because of the time difference and the hours he works. Still, never mind that, I’m putting myself first…for once in my life having had 4 children, most of the time as a single Mum… and Im not going to let it get me down (too much lol)

Hi Maggie. Your results sound good, if ever having BC could be good. What I mean is that hopefully the op will be successful and you won’t need any further treatment.
Good luck and have some ‘me’ time before the 9th xxx

Thank you Melrose.

Does it seem strange that in some ways I feel guilty because it’s all looking straightforward at the moment?

xx

Just a quick update.

I had my WLE and SNB yesterday and it wasn’t as bad as I thought. I’m sore but it isn’t painful.

It turns out that that the lump the consultant found wasn’t the cancer but glandular tissue being pushed up by the cancer which is, or should I say was, near the chest wall. 2 lymph nodes had turned blue so the surgeon removed them.

Back to the waiting room for the 2 weeks before I get the results but I’m going to try not to worry.

dd u get home today maggie? Any drains in? i

I got home at 7:30 last night. Went in at 7:30 am, had to have ultrasound to mark where the tumour was and went to theatre at 11:30.

No, no drains, just dressings over both incisions.

One thing I’ve found is that, because it’s my right breast and I’m right-handed, I do things without thinking and then think “ouch! Shouldn’t have done that!” Also going up and down stairs can be uncomfortable…bouncing boobs…maybe I should have bought a smaller size of crop top but it felt quite tight when I tried it on in the shop.

Maggie that is good news that you got home last night. No drains that is great. I see what you mean about using your right hand without thinking. I am lucky in that it is on the left side and I am right handed. Hope I get home tomorrow night too, fingers crossed. I hope you make a speedy recovery and I will let you know how I get on tomorrow if I can.

love Maggie x x

There are pluses and minuses to having surgery on your dominant side. One of the pluses us that because you naturally use it more, you regain better functionality in that arm, than if it were the non-dominant side, which is easier to “baby”! :wink:

Thanks Morwenna. I hadn’t really thought about it that way but I see what you mean x

I went for my op results today and I have to have another wle in a few weeks because the surgeon didn’t get clear margins.

On the positive side the nodes from the SNB were clear :slight_smile:

Good news about no +ve nodes. Disappointing about needing a second op, but you started with quite a small lump, so fingers crossed they’ll have satisfactory margins next time.

I started out with what they thought was a 4cm tumour, but they took an 8cm slice, and had still had +ve margins on both ends, so naturally the next step was mastectomy in my case!

All the best for your next op xxx

Thanks Morwenna. The surgeon is hopeful of getting clear margins next time.

Hi Maggie and everyone else. I have just been diagnosed with the same cancer and it is also on my right side. I have felt that emotions have been a rollercoaster, although I am generally positive. I am booked for a SNB on July 29th, so am glad to hear it wasn’t too bad! The part I’m finding hardest is making the decision between prothesis and implants…as the 12mm cancer is just behind the nipple…so I’m having a mastectomy. The biggest problem is all the ifs and buts as the only thing that is certain at the moment is the mastectomy and that I have cancer!