Anxiety or reality, help?

If anyone can help with this it would be much appreciated. A little history- diagnosed with breast cancer on 15th sept, mastectomy 13th oct- appointment this friday to find out when radiotherapy and chemotherapy will start. Her 2 positive, oestrogen 8/8.

Both tumors found were small (7mm and1.7mm) and after SNB told that my lymph nodes are clear (tumor 2/3 agressive)

The problem (and I have searched on here for similar feelings)- I have felt nausea for sometime- also drop in weight (about a stone and cant put it back on) and when I lie down at night I frequently wake feeling like im going to pass out? I occasionaly feel this during the day- its not like when you feel faint and you sit down and it goes away. It washes over me for sometimes a couple of hours.

Ive not started any treatment yet so it cant be anything like that. Has anyone else experiencied anything like this- I dont know if its just anxiety? I mean if my lymph nodes are clear surely things should be ok.

Its so horrible not knowing what your body is doing to you and if this is anxiety or something to be concerned about. Any help would be appreciated

Yvonne x

Hi Yvonne,
It could be delayed shock, but its early days since your Mastectomy and I know that the Anaesthetic can make you feel tired for a few weeks. Dx is a really terrible time for all of us and its only 6 weeks for you, so you need to rest up and maybe speak to your BCN.

Hope your treatment goes well. I tolerated Chemo pretty well and Rads were a doddle, so I hope its the same for you.
Lots of love Andrea xx

Thanks for your positive comments Andrea. I guess you just become really concious of every little feeling in your body - I think I do need to take things easy for a bit. Everyone keeps telling me Im coping well, so it maybe is delayed shock x

Hi Yvonne and welcome to the BCC forums.

You may find BCC’s resource pack helpful, it has been designed for those newly diagnosed. If you would like a copy just follow the link below to order a copy:

breastcancercare.org.uk//content.php?page_id=7514

In addition to the support you have here, if you feel it would help to talk to someone in confidence about the concerns you have, then please give the helpline a call, the staff here are all either breast care nurses or people who have personal experience of breast care issues. They can offer you a listening ear, support and information about other services we can offer you to help you through this difficult time. The number to call is 0808 800 6000 the lines open Monday to Friday 9am - 5pm and Saturdays 9am - 2pm.

I hope this is of some help to you.

Best wishes
Lucy

Sorry you are feeling like that - it sounds horrible. I would see your GP or your BCN - perhaps it is a delayed shock reaction but you should chat to someone medical to make sure.
Hope all your treatment goes OK
Kate

Hi Yvonne

As Kate says, you should get it checked out by a medic. However, my friend (who hasn;t got breast cancer or any illness) has recently had exactly the symptoms you describe. She couldn’t eat because it made her feel sick, her head would spin and often lose her balance. She lost 10llbs in about two weeks and when I saw her, I was horrified. Turns out to be anxiety caused by work stress. They offered to give her medication, but she has sorted it out by rest etc and now is putting the weight back on. I am not saying that is what is wrong with you, but it could well be - best get it checked - she did.

Hi Yvonne,
I lost about a stone in the year before my dx and haven’t put it back on. My GP says anxiety tends to keep your weight down. My aunt who is a nurse said tiredness and weight loss are common even when you don’t know you have BC yet. It is probable that you would lose weight because of shock even if you were eating exactly the same as before.

I felt just as you describe after my surgery and when I was waiting for the results of the operation (3 weeks) - sick, light headed, vaguely panicky, couldn’t take a deep breath, pins and needles in my hands (caused by overbreathing.) It was anxiety inmy case, but the physical symptoms are quite strong and are frightening in themselves. I would talk to your GP even if it’s just to reassure yourself. The shock of the diagnosis can take a while to kick in I think. A book called “Self Help for your Nerves” by Dr Claire Weekes is very useful - you can get it fom Amazon. Also 4 or 5 drops of lavender oil in your bath can be calming (you can buy it from Boots.)

I also work with young people who suffer with acute anxiety and the symptoms are as you describe. Sometimes just knowing it’s nothing medical can make you feel calmer. Really hope you feel better soon,
Irina x

Hi Yvonne,It sounds very much like anxiety to me.After diagnosis and before my op I felt exactly like you.I lost best part of a stone in those 3wks.I’d also wake up at night with my head swirling and feeling as if I was going to pass out! Once I got the all clear with my scans and knew that I was in with a fighting chance I started feeling a lot better…Take care - it’s a horrible way to feel, and I hope like me you’ll feel better once your treatment starts.

Josie x

Thankyou everyone for your comments and advice. What a wonderful site this is. Since Ive been posting on here I looked up anxiety symptoms and I could tick nearly every box! Reading others experiencies has seemed to help and since Ive found out my planned course of treatment I have felt a little better- I feel I have some plan now which I much needed. If I do have any more problems I will get in touch with BCN- but like they say- one day at a time xx

I know how you feel… on being diagnosed I went from feeling no symptoms at all wondering if this was really happening, to then feeling tingly before my op like my aunty explained she felt, and now I feel tired and lithargic pretty much most of the time and my head feels like mush… saying that I have just come out of hospital following my lumpectomy so I am still recovering. Anesthetic is pretty harsh stuff, and I would agree it takes a while to fully get it out of your system. Such a lot happens in a short space of time from diagnoses, surgery, treatment and recovery that you barely get chance to think so I think we are all forgiven for feeling a little anxious and shocked by it all - Like its been said one step at a time, each stage of treatment is on one stage closer to recovery. Hope everything goes well for you. Mx