1.2M posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anxious about starting FEC in Jan :(

pattymi

Re: Anxious about starting FEC in Jan :(

Pat, another pat here, I've had 5 chemo now only one to go. I live with a grown daughter but she has her own lifeband is not round much. I had my mastectectomy pre chaemo and rads start on June! I have good and bad days, must say I sleep well at night apart from the few days pre chemo. I cope by storing up the good days and try to do nice things on the days I'm well. On my bad days I veg on the settee and just hunker down, I saw my BCN and go to see the psychologist attached to the oncology service and she helps me lots. Keep reading and chatting on here it helps!

Guest user
Not applicable

I sympathise with you and feel the same as i have been newly dialgnosed with grade 2 poss 3 with lymph node involvement. Have just commenced chemotherapy, of which I need 8 treatments. I will be having a mastectomy post chemo and then rad. I am obviously very concerned and have good and bad days, not sleeping, waking up at 3 am which is a very lonely time. I live alone but have a fantastic family to support me. My next chemo is on the 12th April and I know that I will be apprehensive again. Does it get any better, I would like to know that I am not the only one who is overly worried and stressed out. Thanks Pat

Mezzomamma

The Onc said if might be possible to have rads more quickly, but asked if I'd rather wait until after the holiday. I think I would prefer more rather than less recovery time before starting rads, to tell the truth, but it may depend partly on how many people they've got booked in at any one time.

I haven't had any of the really terrible reactions that some have, so far, but the tiredness dizziness are pretty persistant. At least I haven't got children or a disabled relative to look after.

I hope your treatment is finished in time for your friends' wedding so you can just relax and enjoy it all. We really need something to look forward to at the end of it all, don't we?

Cheryl

Guest user
Not applicable

hi

Glad to hear the laryngitis is nothing sinister Cheryl. But you do seem to be having a hard time of it. i hope your heart test are equally not sinister and just another effect of chemo.
You should only have a max of 31 days between chemo and rads so hopefully you'll get treatment out of way before holiday. I,m hoping this is the case because some friends have booked there wedding around my treatment dates. If i get my rads much later than anticipated i'll have to go to wedding with 1 boob missing lol. not good.

I know your still feeling wiped out from fec 4 but your getting there and that light at the end of the tunnel must be beckoning now, and it's nice that you,ve got something to look forward to at the end

Maria x

Mezzomamma

Saw the Senior Onc today. He said sore throat, laryngitis effect of chemo, not a problem if no fever. But he's sending me for 2 heart tests: fairly routine repeat of echocardiogram and one for heart rate--I think this may be a 24 hour monitor or something similar--because my heart seems to race with the slightest exertion & because of dizzy spells.

They'll either get my rads over before the holiday we booked for summer half term or start them after.

Still rather anaemic, but no worse than last time, so FEC5 can go ahead on Friday. Also still feeling rather wiped out from FEC4 most of the time.

Cheryl

Mezzomamma

I tried holding a folded hanky over my nose while I did a bit of gardening today, but of course that really limited what I could do. Still it got me out in the sun for a little while and the laryngitis seems to be giving up at last. So let's see what the Onc and the blood tests say tomorrow.

With the sore throat and broken sleep, I've been too blamed tired to take advantage of the sunshine most of the time anyhow.

Cheryl

Guest user
Not applicable

hi everyone

Day 11 fec 4 - feel normal at long last, thank goodness i thought it was never going to end.

Been for a long walk in the sunshine. Saw a few of my customers whilst i was out(i,m a barber). It's really cheered me up. I didn't realise how much i was missing people. It was lovely seeing them and they were soo nice and encourageing. One bloke gave me his card and made me promise i'd ring if i needed anything. How lovely is that!

Cheryl - hope your managing to get out.

Maria x

Mezzomamma

I'm taking antihistamine tablets as well as my prescribed nasal spray but unfortunately it's going to take a while for the whole thing to calm down. Normally I'd have taken some paracetamol or ibuprofen as soon as the sore throat didn't go away after a hot drink or two to reduce any inflammation, but of course I can't do that now.

Cheryl

Guest user
Not applicable

Oh Cheryl i hope your throat is better so that you can still take part in the concert. The things we do, that we love ( like your singing), make chemo much more bearable don,t they? We all certainly need something to look forward to. Can you not take anything for the hay fever so at least you can enjoy this lovely weather?

Maria x

Mezzomamma

The nurse agreed the laryngitis is not a serious problem unless there's a fever with it. It's just very inconvenient to lose my voice just before a concert I was looking forward to taking part in, and some of the time my throat is painful. It gets worse as the afternoon goes on and if I am out of doors, which also suggests allergy.

I suppose I should just be glad that there isn't an infection, but it's hard to have to stay in when the weather turns fine.

Cheryl

Mezzomamma

I'll see what the nurse has to say when she flushes out my PICC tomorrow.

Guest user
Not applicable

hi Cheryl

i'll keep my fingers crossed for you that it's not the start of an infection. That's the last thing you need.

I got a sore throat and lost my voice on fec 1 and spent the day in hospital having various tests. Totally wasted day - think it was the chemo just drying me out.

Mezzomamma

I've noticed that too. Whether it's the anti-sickness wearing off or the chemo hitting home, I seem to get laid out just about the time I think I'm getting off lightly.

I've had a sore throat, probably from hay fever, but today it's turned into laryngitis. No fever, but I'll have to mention it when I go in to have the PICC flushed tomorrow. Well if I have no more voice than today, I'll be demonstrating rather than mentioning. It's difficult to look down your own throat for signs of infection.

Cheryl

Guest user
Not applicable

hi everyone

Not posted for a few days. Thought i was getting away lightly with fec 4, but nooo! Day 4 came along and knocked me sideways, just about got some energy to try to catch up here today ( day 7).

Had a bit of a panick yesterday. Got up late for injection. In my rush i just injected without taking air out of syringe. Can't believe i did that! I was so tired and generally off, i just coudn,t concentrate. Anyway, i phoned district nurse and told her what i'd done and she said that she thought i'd be ok but she couldn't promise me. Great that helped alot!

Silvershar - hope your feeling a little better. I personally think losing my hair has been the hardest part of the treatment. I seem to have come to terms with the hair situation now except for on day 4 and 5 of fec. I seem to get a little weepy on these days, so obviously everything becomes exaggerated. And why oh why do people think it's a complement to tell me i look like Annie Lennox?lol

Jane - good to hear that they managed to get the hickman in, hopefully everything else will be alot easier for you now.

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Silvershar i am sending u hugs 🙂 I know exactly how u are feeling as i also had long hair and after my first fec had it cut really short but one thing i will say to u is believe me u made the right decision. After my 2nd Fec it came out in handfuls and this was far more upsetting!! I cried and cried seeing it coming out in such a big amount........ It really DOES get easier please trust me!!! Like so many of us my hair was really important to me and i actually hated the fact that it was coming out........ In the end my sister (Bless her) shaved it all off for me and you know what i can actually say it was a relief not to have that constant reminder seeing my hair everywhere!!! Please keep your chin up, it does get easier honest..... I have some good websites for scarfs etc... if you need them. Take care, thinking of you
Kaz 🙂 x

pattymi

Jane so sorry you had a difficult time having hickman, I loooooove mine to pieces, being a nurse person who knew about these things and having tiny awkward visna anyway asked for and got line before started chemo. Holder and stitches at exit site come out after a few weeks then is much more comfie.
I do my own care & change the dressing etc as had prior knowledge & skills. I don't mind not soaking in the bath or swimming so that's not too bad of a negative for me and the line is stored neatly behind the prosthesis in my bra so not visible from the outside.
Have had a lovely day out pre Tax 2 (reduced dose due the fluid retention & dizzy spells) my friend and I headed out to the countryside as weather lovely, visited country house, cream tea, wander through the woods, spotted frogs doing the spring thing, pheasants and squirrels too lovely time keep mind off tomorrow.
Good luck to all for minimal se's
Pat

Guest user
Not applicable

Post FEC1 12 days, just had waist length hair cut to neck im in bits

Alto

Yes, my mum is 70 and my dad is 72 and are very fit and active - they put me to shame!

Jane xxx

janipi

Sounds all good so far Jane. your mum sounds like mine. She's 74 and has got tremendous energy. I feel a bit guilty as it would be nice if I could do things for her at her age but she's having none of it. Three cheers for mums!

Alto

Hi janipi,

The Hickman was a dream for getting the chemo in! Sore and bruised so the dressing changing wasn't much fun, but apart from that it's great. I'm very tired from yesteday but the steroids have disturbed my sleep so I'm definitely not doing much. My parents are staying and my mum is a gardening and cleaning freak, so it'll look like a new house by the time they go on Friday!

Jane xxx

janipi

Jane.Good luck for the TAX going in. I found it OK and had at least 48 hours before SE's kicked in. I even managed a lovely pub lunch with OH by the river on the way home. Did all the washing/cleaning/shopping courstesy of the steroids. Here's to a quiet couple of days for you so you can recover from yesterday. Don't even think of housework! Delegating is the way to go.x

Alto

I don't get hayfever but have had a very drippy nose since being on FEC. Some days it's almpst constant and is VERY annoying. I don't think it's just the lack of hairs - I think you probably get drippier anyway as another SE as I'm sure I still have some nasal hairs.

I've got TAX 1 today - wonder what new joys and delights that will bring?

Had my Hickman line in yesterday - fairly traumatic due my peculiar veins (in the wrong place and very small). The whole gory story is on the Dark Woods thread if you really want to know all the details! Still, at least it'll make chemo and bloods a whole lot easier and less painfull.

Jane xxx

Mezzomamma

That's my reasoning.

Cheryl

janipi

Cheryl.
i am a fellow hayfever sufferer and although not on FEC, I am sneezy and sniffy today and yesterday. I too am paranoid of colds and getting a cough because of chest infection/pneumonia etc. I don't want any more days in the Oncology Hotel thankyou. Let's keep checking temp and fingers crossed it's just the lovely weather bringing all the pollen out. My leaflet says phone for cough, sore throat and fever. Well if you haven't got the fever it's likely to be allergy?

Mezzomamma

Aaghhh! Where's my post? Ok, second try.

Is anyone else having unusually bad hay fever or having hay fever when they don't normally suffer from it? I've been wondering if this could be an effect of FEC, like a sore mouth.

Besides very heavy congestion, streaming nose (with no nose hairs to help) and sneezing, I've had some headaches and a sore throat. Not normally anything I would worry about beyond my allergy prescription and pain relief as needed, but of course now I am neurotically checking my temperature in case it's an infection.

Has anyone been given information or advice on this? The leaflets say a sore throat is reason to phone, but I'm *almost* sure it's just part of the allergic reaction.

Cheryl

Alto

Shar, the CI was done by the district nurse for my friend who was so badly constipated after FEC1 that she was in agony. It was done for medical reasons.

It's the anti-sickness drugs that clog you up, then when you go on the antibiotics in the second week they can have the opposite effect - you can't win really!

Jane xxx

Mezzomamma

The chemicals leave your body through the normal ways; just have plenty to drink and eat whatever helps you to be regular. You may even find that you have a bit of looseness at some point. If you have noticed a chemical smell when you go to the loo, that's them. I hate the smell, but at least there's a good reason.

Personally I don't want to do anything to upset my system more than it already is unless it's absolutely necessary.

Cheryl

Guest user
Not applicable

Alto i notice u mentined colonic irrigation, someone suggested that as a good health move but didnt know, is it wise to have even when started FEC, not had any constipation but just on a get toxins out of my body kinda note........

janipi

Cheers Cheryl! I'll have a go.

Mezzomamma

Janipi, when I go to the profile area, I don't see a button, but where it says About me, there is a bit of link text that says edit your profile. If you have the same, and click on it, that should take you to the edit profile page. Right at the bottom, under the Optional information area, there should be a section with a browse button where you can upload or change a picture, and the Submit button is nearby. This is all still there for me now.

Cheryl

Mezzomamma

Better to be a pain in the bum than a helpless, hapless victim. Who's body and health is it, if not yours?

I'm not sure about the pictures--I managed to change mine over the weekend, but all I remember is that it took me a while to work out how to. I'll see if I can go through it again and let you know if no one beats me to it.

Almost everything is a little more bearable when the sun shines, isn't it? I always feel the true start of spring is when I don't need to turn on a light to make my morning coffee (6 am when I'm at work).

Hope everyone can enjoy at least a little sunshine today.

Cheryl

janipi

Good morning everyone!
We can look forward to some Spring weather and warmth this week so that will be a tonic to us all. I have found that sunshine is the best medicine.
Maverick lady,i hope you get some help "moving" because it will make you feel much better. My prescription was molaxole. I only used it once but it worked and was "gentle."
Anybody know how I can add a photo? The edit profile thingy doesn't seem to be happening.
Jane , I know what you mean ! I am a bit less of a shrinking violet lately. I surprise myself sometimes now. I suppose I was quite passive before this bc. In hospital I found myself being quite feisty and questioning everything they did. I going to be a pain in the bum from now on lol.

Alto

Maria, I do all my moaning on here. I didn't need a re-excision, I only had a WLE and not an MX and I had bad lymph nodes but I've no secondaries. Things could have been worse - I thought they were for a while as I had a cough for so long I'd convinced myself I had lung mets, so I've decided that the worst hasn't actually happened and there's too much I want to do to let it get me down for long.

I'm hardly ever ill and felt perfectly healthy before finding my lump so I resent being made ill by the treatment and just want to carry on as before. Funnily enough I was really quite shy before but now I just think sod it - life is for living, not hiding away!

I'm sure I'm not the only person who feels that way.

Jane xxx

Alto

Mavericklady, a friend of mine had this problem and it got so painful that in the end the district nurse came round and did colonic irrigation on her that did the trick. Maybe that's what you need? Do contact your nurse asap as you really need to get this sorted out - it must be awful for you.

Jane xxx

Mezzomamma

Mavericklady, have you asked for a prescription? I believe suppositories are the final weapon. I assume you've tried lots of dried fruit, especially of the prune/apricot type and figs? Syrup of figs? Or a big vegetable stir fry with lots of onion? If you haven't yet, phone and ask for something serious to help at this stage.

Some people start taking something like senna or their prescribed laxative if they have one a day or so before treatment. Just so you know for the next one.

Constipation is miserable; hope you get it sorted soon.

Welcome to the thread, by the way.

Cheryl

Guest user
Not applicable

Just had my 1st FEC 10 days ago, feel very tired quickly and he worst is i haven't been to able to open my bowel yet, its agony. Tried everything nothing works. Apart from that, i had the cold cap and still have my hair, i have put a posting on hairloss with some tips, things i am doing just in case it goes. Don't worry yourself silly, i did i was more worried about that than the op and more scared about the op than the tumour, op on 25 Jan at long last i am just about normal again, still using my sport bra but maybe could manage without it. Keep doing the excersizes.

Guest user
Not applicable

Alto

Your such a trouper. I,ve been reading some of the other threads and i think your a star. Your not letting it get you down.
Yes i tried to get some sun today, even braved no make-up. Am so b****y pale, had to try.

Maria x

Alto

Hi Maria,
My veins started to go with FEC2 but FEC3 really did for them big time. I can't actually straighten my arm now and the pain and bruised feeling goes from my upper arm right into the back of my hand. Even gently smearing ibuprofen gel on is very painful! My onc has told me I've got it particularly badly but it's the luck of the draw and they can't predict who'll be affected and who'll escape scot free.

She said it will take a long time (months) to sort itself out but it will eventually. In the meantime I'm taking ibuprofen, rubbing on the gel and trying to stretch it when I can.

It's been by far my worst SE and not one I'd heard about before at all! Having got the cording in my op arm sorted and got good movement back I'm now struggling with the other.

Ah well, it's a sunny day so I'm going to catch some rays and listen to the birds sing rather than moan on here - life is for living!!

Jane xxx

Guest user
Not applicable

Cheryl

How lovely to see your photo, it's nice to put face to the name. NOTE TO SELF:MUST GET ROUND TO DOING IT MYSELF!

Maria x

Guest user
Not applicable

Oh janipi

What a rough time you,ve been having! Hope your getting on the mend now. Don't worry about moaning, if you need to do it, do it. I,ve been moaning about 1 day of sickness, how soft am I? Sending you cyber hugs.

Maria x

janipi

Hi everyone!
Missed you all over the last week. Just out of hosptal after wbc s took nosedive to 0.015! and temp shot up to 38.2. Neulasta didn't kick in quick enough after 1st tax. I also had low blood pressure Cheryl, that was nasty, and feels like you don't really belong to your body. Day 10 now and sore fingers and feet, hurts to type. No more moaning though because a stay on the oncology ward really puts life into perspective. Sun is shining and great to be back. x

Guest user
Not applicable

hi Alto

Nice to have you back. They don't really warn you properly about the veins do they? Most people seem to struggle with them or so it seems. Mine became very sore after fec 2 but don't seem to have got any worse since so hopefully i'll manage the last 2 fec as i am. Hopefully once you,ve got the hickman line fitted you'll start seeing a quick recovery of your veins. Have they told you how long it will take for them to recover?
maria x

Alto

Hello all!

I've done 3 FEC now and have my first Tax on Wednesday, WBC permitting - it's a tad (OK, a lot) low at the moment. I'm having a Hickman line fitted on Tuesday as my veins have totally given up the ghost so that'll be a relief. No more stabbing at veins that have gone off in a huff!

Jane xxx

Guest user
Not applicable

hi everyone

how you all doing? Need to do some serious catching up!

Cheryl i got your last pm thanks. Glad you,ve managed to get out today, i did too, it makes you feel loads better to get some fresh air doesn't it?

Mezzomamma

So how is everyone? Maria and I have passed FEC4, where's everyone else?

I thought this one wasn't too bad, but my blood pressure still seems to get hit pretty hard and that puts just about everything into the yuck category, even though I'm not really ill or nauseous or anything else. On the other hand, I managed to stay upright long enough to prune the roses in this afternoon's sunshine, so that's a plus.

Cheryl

Guest user
Not applicable

hi guys

Anybody else having problems posting. Not going to be able to post after today anyway. Don't know what i,m going to do.

Maria x

Mezzomamma

Fortunately the dizziness wore off around the end of week 1, but it still took longer than with FEC2. I hope the low blood pressure stage doesn't increase each time.

I'm wearing scarves and hats more than the wig, but I get cold if I don't wear something on my head.

Cheryl

Guest user
Not applicable

Thanks Cheryl - i may try the idea of old tights, but i think i,m going to keep gillian for times when i really need to look less thuggish ha ha. I didn't really - wore plenty of make up and i still managed to look femanine. OH thought i really suited a bald head. He always had a thing for Siguorney Weaver in Alien.

I know what you mean about facial hair, i,ve got fine downey hair all over my face that i never had before treatment, and i,m really miffed that i still have to shave my legs. It was the only good point of chemo. Same with my under arms.

Seem to need sleep at regular intervals now, but can't manage a lie in.

Good luck with the dizziness, hopefully that will wear off shortly.

Maria x

Mezzomamma

I also spent most of the first FEC3 week horizontal--just sitting to rest wasn't enough, my feet and head needed to be at a similar level, and if I felt very dizzy my head had to be flat. At least that was only once or twice and brief at that.

I still find my wig a bit uncomfortable, but my head is covered in fuzz. I'd shave it again and try to get closer, but the fuzz is shedding, so there doesn't seem to be any point. Why couldn't FEC take out the hairs on my chin first? At least the wig doesn't seem to slip on the fuzz.

Does anyone else find that they need a bit more sleep, even during the good weeks?

You can get nets to go over any remaining hair and keep a wig from slipping, and I think someone said that you can improvise them from old tights, which is probably worth trying if you aren't going the cold cap route.

Cheryl

Mezzomamma

I also spent most of the first FEC3 week horizontal--just sitting to rest wasn't enough, my feet and head needed to be at a similar level, and if I felt very dizzy my head had to be flat. At least that was only once or twice and brief at that.

I still find my wig a bit uncomfortable, but my head is covered in fuzz. I'd shave it again and try to get closer, but the fuzz is shedding, so there doesn't seem to be any point. Why couldn't FEC take out the hairs on my chin first? At least the wig doesn't seem to slip on the fuzz.

Does anyone else find that they need a bit more sleep, even during the good weeks?

You can get nets to go over any remaining hair and keep a wig from slipping, and I think someone said that you can improvise them from old tights, which is probably worth trying if you aren't going the cold cap route.

Cheryl