1.2M posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anxious about starting FEC in Jan :(

Mezzomamma

Re: Anxious about starting FEC in Jan :(

Glad to hear the good news, Janipi. I think having treatment in the morning is definitely better for me. I realised, though, that I was up a bit too long before resting properly this morning. I didn't sleep too badly, all things considered, and at least waking briefly in the night means I sip a bit of water each time, but at 5 I decided there wasn't much point in trying to go back to sleep as I can nap during the day.

It's a bit miserable and wet here, so I don't have much temptation to go out. I'll just try to get the towels washed, and I think that's enough work for today.

Cheryl

janipi

Hello everyone! Hope you are ok and coping well. Day 3 and things all good. I am taking it a bit easy this time. I have been given cyclizine for sickness FEc 2 and 3 and it has been great to not have nausea. I feel like I want to get out and about but will keep indoors today. Have a good weekend everyone! x

Mezzomamma

Half way already seems unbelievable. Remember how worried we all were? We'll ignore the recovery period after FEC6 just to keep our spirits up! I'm definitely going to ignore the steroid buzz today and tomorrow and increase the rest-to-activity ratio.

Keeping busy during the 'good' week helps to bring the next one along and over with sooner, or at least it feels like it, as well as letting you feel like an ordinary human being, not just a cancer patient. I hope everyone gets to their next session without delays; let's get this over with.

Cheryl

Guest user
Not applicable

P.s thanks fro the eyelashes Sophie, they are fab...my 8 yr old came in the lounge with them on yesterday, he looked quite beautiful worryingly!!! LOL xx

Guest user
Not applicable

Well done Cheryl!! That's 50% done....hope you feel fine or at least not too bad for the next few days.xxx reading that you are already half way through has perked me up as it doesn't seem so long since this thread was started and we were counting down the weeks never mind days till fec 1.
I'm with you Maria, just want to get to next Friday as quickly as possible now. Planning a trip to the Eden Project on Sunday with my boys and some friends, it's a fair old walk to get down to it but there's a lovely outdoor cafe I can perch myself at with a good book if I get too knackered and the others can run off and enjoy themselves, I shall sit and admire. fingers crossed for some nice spring like weather. hugs to all xxxx

Guest user
Not applicable

hi everyone

Keep rested up for a few days Cheryl. I,ve been advised that doing too much in the first few days while taking steroids causes a bigger crash afterwards on day 4 and 5.

I know it sounds masochistic, but i really can't wait for Thursday now, just need to get to that half way point. Will be able to see the light at the end of the tunnel then. BRING IT ON!

I hope everyone is in good spirits and se's not causing too much trouble, We,re getting there and we can do it - we,re strong!

Maria x

Guest user
Not applicable

Wow thats speedy Cheryl well done you, half way there!! (i think)?? I hope mine goes as speedy next Thursday 🙂
Have a good rest now and hope the se's are kind to you
Take care
Kaz x

Mezzomamma

A record! FEC3 was finished in less time than I have previously waited. The nurses have persuaded the pharmacy to prepare the chemicals for the 9 am appointments before people arrive, so I was called in after less than an hour's wait and finished around 11. It means they have less delay throughout the day as well.

Cuppa and a nice rest next.

Cheryl

Guest user
Not applicable

sarahbeara - my eldest is almost 17, and he's still not too old for hugs... just these days it's my head that reaches his chest...lol...

Sophie xx

Guest user
Not applicable

My arm is soooooo sore, 13 days post chemo it is worse than ever. I tried carrying a basket round tesco today and didn't realise that was a bad idea.
Yeah, why cant they use other veins in your body? Surely it's all going to the same place??
Thankfully am feeling pretty normal otherwise, so shall enjoy these feelings till next Friday. Am debating going out scarf less on Saturday for lunch with a friend.. I bought what I thought was a tasteful scarf today, and a usually sympathetic friend asked me if I had a firearm with me as I looked like an Israeli Mossad agent!!! Ha ha i did laugh... My wig is still on the chest of drawers, can't face putting it on... My 8 yr old said what's the hairy thing in your bedroom mummy, it looks like someones head been chopped off !!
My sentiments towards those will children, small or otherwise is take every offer of help be it friends, family or extra sessions at nursery... Both my boys went to friends for a sleepover on Tuesday night and it was bliss not having to get up before 7! I had the house to myself, oh in London till tomorrow night......
Off to bed now, small 5 yr old in with mummy tonight, nice to have someone warm to cuddle up to, dread the day they are too grown up for hugs. Xxxx

Guest user
Not applicable

I dont mind you asking at all Donna.... my veins on the top of my hand are tender, my wrist aches and the top of my arm up to my elbow is tender it feels really bruised!!! Do you have the same feeling??
Kaz xx

Guest user
Not applicable

hello ladies,,

kazza, how does your arm feel? if you dont mind me asking
thankyou
Donna
xx

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi all
Donna they used a different vein for my 2nd fec and i have to say that they did have to have a couple of goes to even get a vein!!! Hopefully they will get yours straight away.. I have my 3rd next thursday but the way my veins and arm are feeling at the mo i dont want them coming any where near me!!
Good luck for your next dose of cocktails...... just keep ticking them off
Kaz xx

Guest user
Not applicable

well done janipi on your 3rd fec,i hope the se stay well away from you, my second is on tuesday, do they use the same vein then?
love and hugs
Donna
xx

janipi

Keep strong everyone! FEC 3 all done. Nice smiley nurse today in contrast to the miserable drippy nosed one I had the last two times. What a difference it makes. She answered all my questions and chatted away instead of "I don't really know" response last time. I feel so much better being halfway and after chatting to her feel much happier about tax. She says keep talking to us we can find a solution for most se's so don't worry. Same woolly head and fluttery tum but feeling good it's for the last time. Den 42, don't feel guilty about extra nursery days. I couldn't care for a young child with this chemo head on. I feel my head is detatched from my body and the body can't keep up. Take care everyone I think we're doing just great. x

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi ladies

I like some of you feel like abandoning the chemo as fec2 was pretty bad and I was not up to leaving the house until day 8. I also do not trust myself looking after my 11/2 year old on my own due to light headiness, so am booking her into extra days at nursery which I feel really guilty about but I know she needs to be safe.

Re the veins, I know I have said before but the port catheter does avoid the vein thing. I did struggle with how I felt for a few days after insertion but my chemo is pain free and I'm really glad I have it.

Kaz is right though, we need to keep going with this and I just focus on the fact that I will be half way through chemo after next tuesday. I will also be having radio but I have heard it just makes you tired rather than making you feel sick, dizzy etc etc.

Good luck ladies

Den42 x

Guest user
Not applicable

Hey ladies i am in full agreement with all of your comments on continuing with chemo i myself keep thinking the same "DO I REALLY NEED ANYMORE OF THIS C*** INSIDE ME"???
But ladies i think we all know that we do need to complete the course.... So come on we CAN do this so we must all keep positive and keep our chins up and together we CAN do it....... (Oh who am i trying to kid here!!! Its S***)
Keep strong everyone, hugs to all
Kaz xx

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi everyone

Hi Sarah, I like you can't imagine my veins going through another 4 fec. It,s looking like the picc is the best option to me.

Excuse me if i,m being a bit thick, but why can't they use a different vein each time, ie the legs?

I never wanted chemo in the first place, as i have metaplastic Bc (metaplastic has a high recurrance rate but gets poor results from both chemo and rads). My Oncologist just told me i'd kick myself if i got a recurrance and i'd never even tried chemo. On reflection i thought she was right and that's why i decided to go ahead with it, however small the chances of it working.

It really is a rollercoaster isn't it? Not just in SE,s but emotions too! When you feel ill - you feel miserable, feeling slight better - get angry, feeling well - on top of the world. start again

Anyway, i hope your all on the up!

janipi, good luck for tomorrow.

janipi

Sarah, I understand that feeling that you can't go on. I remember thinking that at times in FEC 1 and 2. Somehow I have and after speaking to onc yesterday I felt better when reassured about some of my worries. I'm not looking forward to tomorrow FEC 3 and I shouldn't think I'll sleep much tonight. Onwards and upwards and I will be halfway through. The delights of TAX s e's next.

Mezzomamma

Sarah, I certainly wondered if the dizziness was from coming off the steriods, but that doesn't mean I didn't have low blood pressure just then. OH has a blood pressure machine from Boots as his was going up for a while, and he has suggested I should try it if I feel very tired or dizzy again. (Of course I won't be able to find it then.)

One of the nurses put in a note that 100%FEC might be too strong for me, but the Onc recommended keeping on with it in order to finish more quickly and I agreed. Two weeks ago I wasn't sure how I would ever finish if that was how much 2 affected me, but after I had had a couple of better days I felt stronger about the whole thing. How I feel in a few days after FEC3 is an open question, of course. I'm planning to go straight to bed when I get home this time.

I'm sure you can bring it up, because perhaps something can be adjusted and if you are really struggling they need to know. I suppose I'm in the insurance category as well, but the percentages and the Onc's recommendation were pretty strong for me. (I had a DCIS as well two years ago.) But as we know, we are all affected differently both by BC and by the treatment. Talk to them, make notes and tell them why it so is difficult.

Best wishes

Cheryl

Guest user
Not applicable

Just to add to that, I only had 4 nodes removed and I was told never to use that arm, blood pressure, blood tests, extra care with insect bites, even putting hands in very hot water...isn't it amazing the differing advice we are given.
I would dearly love to use my other hand if poss, my whole arm up to my elbow has been very tender this week, I have one spot I can even put the slightest pressure on. Can't see it surviving another 4 doses!
Shall mention it to my onc. I have my appts 3 days before chemo which although means an extra 3 hour round trip they have time to sort out any issues.
Cheryl, I also had a couple of big dizzy spells after fec 2, even sitting down I felt like I could have rolled off the sofa. It was about 5 days after chemo, do you think it was steroids? I don't have low blood pressure at all.
I was wondering what difference it makes to the overall end result if you don't complete the full 6 cycles? The way I have been feeling I don't think I can face another 4 lots. What if you say no to the last one or 2 .....would it have done enough by then? I had my tumours removed before chemo so I am one of the insurance policy candidates. Shall broach the question seriously on Monday at my appt.
Love Sarah xxx

Guest user
Not applicable

Cheryl / Donna
I found it really interesting how each hospital say and do different things. I had 6 nodes removed and they told me that they wont use that side for bloods or the chemo!!! I have had my second fec and due for my 3rd next week and my veins feel really tender and aching...... i wish they could alternate each hand the veins may not get so much of a bashing...
Hugs 🙂
Kaz xx

Guest user
Not applicable

thanks again cheryl x

Mezzomamma

It's only when you lose all the lymph nodes that they can't use that arm. Four nodes isn't very many.

Cheryl

Guest user
Not applicable

thankyou cheryl,,
the nurses said they would be able to use right arm if needed even though ive have SNB just 4 removed, has anyone had there arm used when undergone SMB?

Thankyou
Donna
xx

Mezzomamma

Donna, I had FEC1 directly, but the PICC was inserted before FEC2, because the nurses thought I would develop vein trouble otherwise. I had an AC, so they can only use one arm and also I'm a bit older than a lot of you. I didn't actually have any vein trouble with FEC1 or with any of the blood tests.

Best wishes

Cheryl

Guest user
Not applicable

Cheryl, thankyou so much for your quick reply,
i took one steriod x3 a day for 3 days, so im sure my prescription will stay the same next week,
how was your veins?
I so hope its just the extra rest i need as thats no problem for me, i just hate the thought of feeling nausea,
ive been very lucky with fec 1, and i know we are all different, but i do hope all goes well again next week.

Take care
Donna xx

Mezzomamma

Hi Donna. The Onc changed my steroid prescription for FEC2; 2 days at a higher dose instead of 3 days at a lower dose. I had no queasiness at first (instead of just a little queasiness), but had palpitations and shaky hands, so I asked to have the dose changed back.

I was suddenly exhausted and shaky a few days later, had to go to bed and had a bad dizzy spell when I got up to go to the loo in the night. The Onc thinks this was probably low blood pressure and that I need more bed rest in the first 1-2 days. This, of course, is very individual--my bp has been at the low end of normal most of my life in any case. Over all, I would say I needed a little more rest this time, but by week 2 I felt fairly normal, just needing to rest every day. I did have some signs that my blood platelets might be lower than normal, but not in the danger zone. Things like a cut finger bleeding longer than I expected and bruising easily, nothing serious.

So all in all, I would say I felt it just a bit more, still no sickness, but I needed more rest than with FEC1 especially in the first week. I know I'm still pretty lucky compared to some.

Cheryl

Guest user
Not applicable

hello cheryl,
im due for fec 2 next tuesday, ive been fine with the first one, just a wooly head but no sickness at all
how did your 2nd one go? did you have more se?
thankyou
Donna
xx

Mezzomamma

Yes, Maria, the drill at my hospital is that you see the Onc and have your routine blood tests at least one day before a chemo session. It's a big centre, so different Oncs have different days for this and I suppose this helps them to organise the chemo sessions as well. I don't have far to go, so that makes repeat visits more feasible.

I'd certainly take extra care with keeping your thumb clean--I sliced a finger at a similar stage, and nearly panicked at the bleeding. I stuck it under the tap to make sure there was no dirt in the cut and then put a plaster on good and tight to keep it clean and kept it covered longer than I normally would, partly because things like typing hurt. I know exactly what you mean about the worry, because all yesterday I kept wondering whether it was all right to wait for today and looking to see whether the sore spot looked infected or not.

Three chemo nurses advised the PICC, so it would have been foolish to disregard their advice. I wish I didn't need it, though.

Good luck with the thumb.

Cheryl

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi everyone

Am feeling great at the moment, but yesterday i grated my thumb while making a cheese sandwich. Great! day 11 as well, couldn't have choosen a better time. So today is spent watching my thumb, is it going red? anti septic cream? manuka honey? should i phone doctor? Anyone not on chemo could not understand the dilemas of a very small cut, they would think im mad lol

Cheryl i think your very brave, you seem to be dealing with you picc very well. Think that's why i,m reluctant to have one - can,t cope with a sore thumb never mind a picc line.

Do you see your onc on a different day to chemo. That seems like a better and more logical way to do it. I see onc 15 mins before chemo, which really doesn't give youn much time if you have any problems. Especially when doctors late as he was last time. Saw him for about 2 mins last time.

Maria x

Mezzomamma

Just back from oncology appointment prior to FEC3. The Onc I saw today thinks my dzzy spell a couple of weeks ago was probably low blood pressure and reminded me about extra fluids, which I'm doing anyhow. In theory, extra fluid around that time will mean my bladder is less irritated and I won't have to jump up so suddenly. She has also put me on the 3-day steroid prescription rather than the 2-day one, so we can see if that helps.

The nurse who took my bloods also repositioned the little clip section of my PICC, cushioned it and gave me a different dressing as I had developed a sore red spot where it was pressing on a part of the adhesive.

I hope everyone is now cruising into the good period.

Cheryl

Guest user
Not applicable

Happy Valentines everyone, Hope you all have someone special in your life to make a fuss of you today, even if it 's a friend or relative. I,m sending you all love and hugs today x x x

I,ve been asking around about the veins and yes i think your right Cheryl, heat is supposed to help. Mine seem to be settling down a bit now.

Mezzomamma

I wonder whether heat would help relieve sore veins. It's recommended for pain following PICC insertion, and I was told to keep that arm and shoulder warm.

Cheryl

Alto

Hi all,

Feeling much better now - even mamaged to go to the theatre in Milton Keynes last night where DH's band were playing in a concert in aid of Marie Curie Nurses. I was totally shattered by the end though. My first outing in a headscarf!

I've got sore veins as well. I had FEC2 on Wednesday and they were sore that evening but then OK. However last night my arm got sore again and is now. 😞

janipi - my ocncologist has prescribed the Corsodyl mouthwash for me and has given me four bottles, so it's worth asking and seeing if you can get it for free!

Jane xxx

janipi

Morning fellow wig wearers.
Mine is getting an airing today as I am popping into work for a short visit. The longest stretch I have worn it is 2 hours. It gave me a slight headache last time. I wouldn't want to adjust the tightness though, even though the wind has dropped today. Re sore mouths I would recommend corsodyl non alcohol mouthwash 3 times a day. A bit pricey, but well worth it as I have had no mouth problems so far. My dentist recommended it. Look after those sore arms! x

Peachez

Oh and sore veins too....

Peachez

Keep trying with the wigs! I've been wearing mine for longer each day and now can go about 6 hours. I now prefer it in public places, but use scarves/hats at home or with friends. I don't like anyone seeing me bald even my OH.

I am Fec 2 day 13, taste impaired and VERY sore tip of tounge, which means I'll be seeing my GP this week. Have been using Biotene toothpaste and Difflam mouthwash since start of Chemo.

Mezzomamma

I don't quite know where the reluctance comes from. So far I would say scarves and hats are more comfortable over the stubble than the wig and the wig felt warmer after a while. I wear glasses, which conflicts a bit with the ear pieces.

I haven't lost my sense of taste, but I think it is impaired. I find myself putting more salt on food than I normally would, then only tasting the salt. I'm going to try lemon juice instead, on veg at least.

Cheryl

Guest user
Not applicable

hi everyone

Cheryl i,m going to take a leaf out of your book and try to wear my wig for a short time tomorrow. I think if i don't do it soon i never will. Why is wearing a wig a bigger deal than being bald - i just don,t understand myself lol.

Sarah i,m sorry you,ve not been so well. Wouldn't wish sore veins on anyone, but i,m relieved i,m not the only one. I knew we were likly to get sore veins, but i was under the impression that it was much further on, not after fec 2.

No taste at all today. B****r, I love my food. Had lovely food day planned, hardly ate anything - waste of time. Grrrr

Guest user
Not applicable

Well done cheryl on going out in your wig for the first time. I collect mine on wed and I just know that if I have to wear it then it is going to be a major hurdle for me on that first trip out. So well done.

Silvershar - try not to worry about what's ahead of you. Just deal with each stage as it comes. The treatment itself is not too bad , it is the subsequent days that can be a drain. just be assertive when it comes to making sure you have enough/ the right medication to manage the side effects from the treatment. In fact be assertive throughout. I hadn't realised I could have a copy of my medical reports until just seeing a recent message on here. I am going to ask for mine as I cannot remember everything about my results. I found that I was in a daze for the first 6 weeks and just went along with the flow. It has only been since fec1 that I have started to research and question.

Lastly, build in some nice activities for your good weeks. You can always cancel if you are suddenly not up to things but it is nice to have things to look forward to. I found that my Friends thought i wouldnt be up for going out so I have taken charge of organising social activities.

Good luck

Den42

Mezzomamma

Oh, I should say I wore my wig out for the first time today, and people were nice about it. It was a bit itchy after a few hours, though. I'm trying to get used to it gradually.

Cheryl

Mezzomamma

Silvershar, I found that nibbling little bits of fruit helped keep my stomach settled in between and that I mustn't go too long without a nibble or a light meal. I don't normally eat breakfast until I've been up for an hour or more, but in the days after a treatment I needed a something like fruit or biscuits as well as a drink when I first got up.

Glad you're feeling better, Sarah, even if still emotionally fragile.

Cheryl

Guest user
Not applicable

First day of normality into fec 2 today, so I make that 8 days of crap then human again then... Haven't stopped all day, shal probably feel it tomorrow. Went into purposeful mother of the year mode today insisting the children only eat healthily, they have been rubbish lately I know it's been a tough few months and I have been really soft, too many sweets and ice creams... Eldest son s complaining of tooth ache and has an evident hole in back tooth so it's a tripmto the dentists this week. So have been cooking all day, all good stuff except for an amazing chocolate fudge cake which I iced with chocolate ganache and the boys went crazy with choco curls and smarties, it really was delicious...
Felt so bad when youngest was having screaming abdabs about having to eat something he didn't want and I lost it, so determined he would be healthy..." if yo don't eat your fruit and veg you will not be big and strong... And you don't want to end up looking like this do you??!!" pointing at my shiny bald conker head!!! I burst into tears and had to rush out of the room.. Horrendous.....
Arm still really sore, am contemplating asking for a picc line, not sure my little vein is up to another 4 sessions of brutality...
Silvershar- my only things I can't be without so far are laxatives!!! Lol... Tonic water which I drink by the litre, and salty foods the first few days, and it's true for me pineapple tastes delicious and is about the only thing tha does for a few days. Other than that just listen to your body, everyones different and you'll know wha you nee d when it happens. Yes, it's not pleasant but it's doable and the days will soon turn into weeks and it will fly by.
Love and hugs to everyone xxxxxx

Guest user
Not applicable

hi silvershar

I know it's easy to say,but do try not to worry that much. The not knowing is def the hardest.

If your the kind of person who needs to know everything, i would ask the doctors for all your reports. YOU ARE ENTITLRD TO THESE!, don,t let them fob you off. I wasn't given my reports and now find that i can't remember most of what i was told and am constantly frustrated because i,m at a stage where i need to research my own diagnosis. I,m in the process of trying to get my reports now.

Been trying to think of things that i,ve really needed while having chemo and i think the only thing i,ve needed everyday is lipsil, my lips are sooo dry.

Good luck for tues and your ct scan.

Love Maria x

Guest user
Not applicable

Well mine could be Feb - have my first onc appt on Tues 15th then my CT scan, any advise appreciated. sooo scared of the unknown but i know good for me, i will write notes of things to ask but heard such alot re have stuff ready ie bonjela, sparking water, dark nailvarnish, anything to add.... Sharxxxxx

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi all.

Glad to see everyone is getting through though some of you have had a particularly rough time. I can empathise with Sarah, my fec2 has really knocked it out of me and I didn't get out of the house until day 8. The fatigue was a lot worse along with the sickness. My husband had to get me extra meds on day 7. I also wonder if the chemo is worth it due to how bad it has been but I know that it is belt and braces and I have to minimise any chance of it coming back. Just the thought of fec3 makes me feel sick.

Am going to ask to see my onc to discuss what can be done to improve things for next time and I am going to insist on more/stronger anti nausea drugs next time.

On a positive still have my hair so the cold cap has worked so far. Also, I still feel very positive in general. I certainly make the most of the good weekends and really appreciate life. This is our first spring in our new house and I discovered the other day that innate snow drops all over the lawn, it really made my day!

Good luck to all of you having your next treatment In the forthcoming week.

Den42 x

janipi

Hi all! Glad to hear you are all up and about. I have been busy today and making the most of the few days before FEC 3.Well done Pat,no more FEC for you then. I've even enjoyed a couple of glasses of wine! Hope I don't suffer for it later. I don't know about sore veins because I have a picc line. I was persuaded to have it because they told me FEC damages veins and it would be more comfortable and covenient for treatment. I wasn't keen at first but I don't really notice it now. Sarah you did really well to go to the cinema. Have you tried shopping on line? Brilliant. Worth the 3.50 delivery charge. Jane glad you are improving. Start making those plans for the good days ahead.

Guest user
Not applicable

What a sofa week it's been for me... Cannot believe how fatigued and uninterested I have been in everything...and how much tv I have watched!!
Actually managed to make it out today, family shop.....always a bind even without chemo...then a promised trip to the cinema for the boys as I have been bribing them all week....they have been remarkably well behaved and good for mummy as oh works away in London so its me n them most of the week. Went to see gnomeo and Juliet, brilliant, and managed to stay awake with the help of some pic n mix!! Sadly a power cut half way through ruined the afternoon, so we'll have to go back and watch the rest another time.
Still on the constipation sachets, 8 days on and there has been a mild improvement but I am seriously asking for some strong stuff before fec3, can't keep doing this to my insides.
Maria, my arm is also really sore today, the nurse warned me it might be as she had such a hassle getting needle in and she said it does get tireder as each treatment goes on. Have had a warm heat pack on it tonight and that has helped. Strange it's taken over a week to start hurting.
Enjoy the rest of the weekend everyone xxxxxxxxx

pattymi

Hi ladies, managed FEC 3 on thurs, FEC all done! Nearly didn't make it as neutrophils low, but considered to be ok. Seem to have mastered the drug treatment of se's, lanzoprazole for heartburn add in bisocodal for constipation. Rest as needed. Too bad next time it's Tax and have no idea what too expect!
Hair all gone, using wig (a bit itchy) scarfs dangly earrings etc, eyebrows/ lashes are going, it's really annoying when they tickle, have booked up for LGFB can't get till late march but sure will enjoy.
DD and I off to London next week, I will catch up with BBF who was diagnosed with melanoma 2 months before my bc so that meeting will likely need tissues to hand.
Ladies enjoy the good days take as much joy as you can from life.
Best wishes to all
Pat xx