1.2M posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anxious about starting FEC in Jan :(

Mezzomamma

Re: Anxious about starting FEC in Jan :(

As far as I can tell the scan was ok. I expected to have it before FEC1, but with snow and holidays, schedules got scrambled. The idea is partly to establish a baseline so they can tell if there is any deterioration over the course of treatment. I'll get a copy of the results; they were checking for volume and flow. I'm not sure whether everyone gets this, or whether it's age-related. The checks I had before surgery were ok.

Take care and get your rest, everyone.

Cheryl

ChoccieMuffin

Sophie, sounds to me like you need to resurrect the WIND!!!!!!!! thread!

Guest user
Not applicable

Oh, and I hit wrong button. Chest pains must be scary - huge hugs, hope if they can't see anything, then there's nothing there to see, and that the pains do the decent thing and go bug someone else soon. Yup, sometimes we just have to grit our teeth, hang in there, and hope that someone knows what they're doing...

Huge love your way

Sophie xx

Guest user
Not applicable

Janipi - my oh spent yesterday evening in conservatory on his laptop, and when I went to tell him that Poirot was starting, he shamefacedly admitted he just couldn't stand the stink in the sitting room!!!!!! Oops. I'd spent most of day in there, and it had gradually enveloped me, I think! I hastily opened the window and squirted some febreze about in a vain attempt to disguise it. He's sleeping in spare room at mo anyhow as I can't sleep unless the window is wide open, and even then, only for an hour at a time, so we both retain a little sanity this way!

janipi

Sarah Beara! You are doing great! This is day 7 for me and I would not be safe in a car doing the school run. Keep those jammies on as long as you need to. Children are very adaptable and you being below par will bring out the best in them. I'm all for children being independent from an early age (teacher in me) so go with the flow. My highlight of today was putting the bin out and having a blast of fresh air. Who knows what tomorrow will bring. Sophie the smell of chemo is following me around the house. I wonder if we are major polluters? Some leaves have just fallen off a house plant. Could it be chemo pollution. Who knows. OH offered to go into the spare bed so I could sleep. He might just be avoiding the stench.lol Cheryl hope the heart scan was ok. I was sent for ecg other day. Still got chest pains. Just lots of blank faces and hoping for the best. Our lives are in the hands of experts I suppose. x

Mezzomamma

I know what you mean, Sarah. I expected to get on with my project on Monday, but couldn't sit up and concentrate long enough.

Although I only had a short wait for the heart scan and was lying down through it, I feel ready for another rest.

I breezed through a WLE and rads two years ago--but I had so little pain with either, the rads tiredness didn't build up until about half way through (plus I had a slightly reduced workload), and I probably went back a little sooner than I really should, so I didn't take much time off. I didn't drive the first week back, either. Having had more extensive surgery this time means I have more to contend with in terms of discomfort and low energy, even if we leave out chemo being a tougher treatment.

The point is that you can't really generalise: two people having the same treatment may react differently, and there are variations in treatment as well. Having children is a tiring job all by itself, as I recall.

Cheryl

Guest user
Not applicable

I suppose it goes to show how different we all are.. I honestly thought LiF was going to be running a million miles a day all the way through - (and Val, I wish you HAD been able to, don't get me wrong!), and make me feel utterly useless.. but it just shows how hard chemo can be. I think, too, that there are so many variations of chemo, depending on what cancer you have, that the se's can vary enormously from very little to utterly appalling. BC is a b*tch of a cancer, so chemo is too.. in my book.

Yes, after first week of first one, and prob. all the way through second, I 'could' have worked, tho I'd have been exhausted, but this time around, uh uh, absolutely no way. And that's nothing to do with what sort of job I do.. I've had desk jobs, and I couldn't summon the energy and enthusiasm to deal with customers by phone now, not safely, anyhow! I'm very glad some people can and do swan through chemo - but the rest of us have nothing to feel guilty about if all we can do is pull the duvet back over our heads. Though I'm not doing that at the mo, did I mention I STINK.

Hugs to all

Sophie xx

Guest user
Not applicable

I hate to say it but I'm so pleased everyone else is as tired as me.... I thought I was being a wimp, wondering I could possibly have been tired every day for the past 3 weeks. How on earth do some people manage to keep working?? Anybody still working?? I have a relative who works in cancer research and oncology and she said to me, oh you'll be fine, some people just breeze through it, might be a little tired sometimes..sometimes!!!!!
Since getting back from the35 mile school run this morning I have been totally useless, managed to make an omelette for lunch, now I'm going to scrape my sorry ass off the sofa and do something productive before the boys get home... It may just be making a cup of tea mind you but thats kind of productive isn't it??!!

Guest user
Not applicable

Good luck this afternoon Cheryl, hope it's all fine for you xxx I know exactly what you mean by the loo urgency and chemo stink...yuk, that's where I was at 2am this morning! It HAS to co-incide with the very point when I'm most sensitive to smell, ugh, I was gagging. Felt loads better this morning, so went to Tesco to stock up on larder stuff, half way round, had to abandon trolley and dash to loo - apologies to anyone who was in Tesco Amesbury today because it wasn't pleasant!!!!! (I did leave it clean, tho..honestly!)

By the time I got home I knew for certain that I wasn't actually feeling as ok as I thought I was.. so back on sofa for this afternoon. Fed up! I am not a patient person... and this fatigue is driving me batty. Or it would, if I had the energy..

Chin up girls, this too shall pass.

Sophie xx

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi all

The exhaustion seems to be hitting us all. I am still in jammies and not done a thing today. Fec2 felt better than the first but I am not getting excited as it seems to me that anything can happen at the moment. Week 2 was the best last time but I still had to rest in the afternoon, so any cooking etc had to be done in the morning.

I had cold cap again and still have my hair but my wig is ready for collection so will get that early next week. There is still no guarantee that I will keep my hair. I also have a 5 year old boy and I think he will be upset to see me bald (he gets upset at the sight of me wearing a small plaster!).

Jane - well done on volunteering at the show, it's good to have a positive goal to aim for.

Take care all and remember to rest at every opportunity.

Den42

Mezzomamma

Gosh, Sarah, no way could I drive 35 miles at the moment. Today is better, but I'm resting at least twice as long as I'm up, which seems to keep things ticking over. Time for my pre-hospital rest.

Cheryl

Guest user
Not applicable

Oh Cheryl, poor you, you really are having a rough time of it... Rest up, every day that passes is a day closer to it all being finished and then we can all get on with the rest of our lives. Xxx
I tackled the 35 mile round trip that is my childrens school run this morning. We have to leave at 7.50, 8am I was still in my jammies!! Luckily I don't have to do it this arvo too, kind friend up the road will bring them back. Now curled up on the sofa and needing a nap.... I am turning into a small dormouse....xxx

Mezzomamma

The concert sounds wonderful, Jane.

I'm going to have to miss choir this week, I think, as I haven't quite recovered from my crash. It's better today, but I had to rest after breakfast and need to rest again very soon. My heart scan is this afternoon, so I should rest as much as possible first, I'm just desperately bored by a couple of days in bed. My OH is taking time off this afternoon to drive me, as he doesn't want to trust me to a minicab. (I hope we can use my parking pass for this as well.)

The night before last I got up to go to the loo with some urgency and nearly passed out. In fact at one point I found myself leaning against the wall of the loo and not too sure how I'd got there for a few seconds, so I may have actually fainted, but fortunately while sitting. Ask any male members of the family to make sure the seat is down last thing at night! Wrestling it down while dizzy in the middle of the night did not help. (And then of course, I had reached the horrible chemical smell stage. Ugh.)

Back to bed for another rest. I hope things are going better for everyone else.

Cheryl

Alto

I believe strangled budgies are the latest Youtube sensation!

Speaking of charities, a group of my friends from work are doing the Pink Ribbon walk, so go Team W-ONE-der Bra! (We produce some software called "One").

Also another group of friends are putting on a concert for three cancer charities, one of which will be BCC (as chosen by me!) because they had so many friends involved with local am dram groups who've had cancer of one kind or another. My diagnosis was the catalyst to get it going.

I don't usually go on stage - I'm usually behind the scenes or in the band (I'm a drummer!) but my DH is often a Musical Director and my daughter has acted and sung on stage many times. However, I will be on stage singing for this one (FEC3 permitting), in all my headscarf glory.

It'll be on March 11th and 12th in Turvey Village Hall, Bedfordshire and I'll publicise more details when I have them. It includes songs from Les Mis, Rent, Spamalot, Jack the Ripper, Sweet Charity and many more.

Been to rehearsal tonight - singing is wonderful exercise and great therapy!!!!

Jane xxx

Guest user
Not applicable

Oh good heavens, I have in theory already raised £180.... Don't these people realise I have a singing voice like a strangled budgie!!! Perhaps I could just mime it to sineads voice actually singing!!??
5 yr old now screams very time he sees my shaved head so am being forced to wear a beanie hat at all times.... "I don't want a new mummy!!!!!!!"..... Going well then..LOL.... Must endeavour to maintain a sense of humour at all times..
Sophie, will send you a message with address, thanks for that, they are going to good use, can't quite believe I am doing this OMG.... Well I never really was one for running marathons to do my bit for charity.
Fingers crossed for blood tests on Thursday so can have fec 2 on Friday, moving hospitals so I don't have to travel 50 miles to get there, nice little cottage hospital in Tavistock, oh goody, smart shops there.....easy parking, will be soooo much easier than trekking to the tardis of a hospital in Plymouth.

Guest user
Not applicable

Janipi - lmao - love that image! A friend of mine took photos of me with her five week old son.. he has more hair than me! (and less chins, alarmingly....)

Guest user
Not applicable

Cheryl, the fatigue is a shocker, isnt it? Don't you dare drive tomorrow unless you feel dramatically better.. and the thing with chemo is that you might! Get your OH to take you xxxx

Sophie xx

Guest user
Not applicable

Sarah, pm me your address and I'll stick 'em in the post - much better that they go to a good home than languish in a drawer...lol. But, you have to tag me on your fb singing so I don't miss it!!!

Mezzomamma

Mine's still falling out gradually from a very sensitive scalp. No way I'm pulling it!

I'm just taken aback by my exhaustion. Not sleeping well hasn't helped. I'm supposed to have a heart scan tomorrow, but unless I'm dramatically better, I'll either have to get a minicab or the OH will have to take some time off. I can't drive even a short distance like this.

Cheryl

janipi

Baldies rock! I have just made my 10 week old grandson giggle by taking my hat on and off. Mind you, he's as bald as me. At least we can entertain our public.

Guest user
Not applicable

I know, we spend all our time worrying how we are going to feel, but we are the ones who actually have control over it. Easy to forget how it all affects our nearest and dearest... Eyelashes would be great!!!!! Xx

Guest user
Not applicable

Go Sinead!!!! Lmao.. looks like you've dug yourself a lovely hole there! I can send you some great long false eyelashes.. bought them in a random moment, but will never wear them.. any good??!!

I was captivated by how my hair pulled out, when it first started.. and delightedly showed the kids my new 'party trick'.. kids were fine with it. Then went out to show OH what I could do, and really, really upset him... oops!!! I was just so intrigued that so much hair could come out without me feeling a thing, that I never considered how much it might have hurt him to see it! Never mind, he wielded the clippers, and later the razor, so got his revenge..lol.

Sophie xx

Guest user
Not applicable

Loving the baldy comments!! My 8 yr old said the other day at his brothers birthday party... ' you should see my mummies party trick, she can pull her hair out in handfuls!!"
I jokingly posted on facebook this morning that I would don a long pair of eyelashes, sing "nothing compares to you" and upload it on YouTube if I could raise a grand.... Already have £150 pledged... B****r, bet learn the words then!!!!
Xxxxx

Guest user
Not applicable

Maz - spluttering into my coffee!! That's a really good new one to get a girl upstairs fast!!!!

My son brought a friend (male) round the other day, who I hadn't seen since they left school, as both boys have gone on to different sixth forms, and I completely overlooked the bald head thing.. I've got so used to assuming all their friends know.... until after about an hour I realised that this usually chatty friend wasn't looking me in the eye, so I had to say 'you did realise I have cancer?' and the look of relief on his face that someone had said something.... after that, normal service resumed!!!

Sophie xx

Guest user
Not applicable

hi everyone

fec 2 on thurs after a 6 day delay because i.ve changed hospitals. Started on my high fibre diet today, it seemed to work well for me last fec - no constipation at all.

My 17 year old boy has recently got himself a new girlfriend. The other night he was bringing her round. He said to me 'mum i'll take her upstairs to watch a film, i know you wouldn,t want her to see to see you looking like you do'. Charming. Do you think he may have had ulterior motives.

Maria x

Guest user
Not applicable

Oh Sarah.. didn't know whether to laugh or cry at your son! Bless him... I'm sure you'll be able to laugh, one day! My son's best ever one liner was in a shop, when he was about three, and I'd refused to buy him whatever it was he was bleating on about. Right in front of the cashier, he turned around and in a piercing voice announced 'I wish my REAL mother was still alive'.

Bless...

Sophie xx

Guest user
Not applicable

Biff - I found second FEC much easier, none of the woolly headed/hungover feeling at all, and I haven't had that hangover feel with the third dose either.. BUT the tiredness has def. come on apace - so whilst it's fab not feeling 'ill'.. I still don't have the energy to do anything! I have picked up at around day seven before.. so roll on Thursday! The first dose was def. the hardest for me, although I had no real nausea.. but the disgusting mouth/foggy brain/lethargy was hard to cope with. I think perhaps knowing what it is like makes a difference as to how we get through the next one... 'knowing' that the vile mouth will pass, 'knowing' that the fog will clear.. it all helps. But do be prepared to get more tired xxxxxxxx

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Kazza I am due to have my third fec next week then i go onto 3 x tax then radio, mine was also a grade 3. I find that I have felt tired and sickly for 5 days after have really sore mouth and have little appetite so i drink complan soups so at least i get my vitamins and minerals. My hair hasn't all gone yet its about a number 1. I had a bad chest infection after my first cycle so its important to look after youself. Its really difficult as I think everyone feels something different so don't compare yourself too much. Best advice is to drinks loads of water as it flushes the fec out, keep warm amd get some difflam mouthwash and use it daily and don't do anything you don't want to. I get a burst of energy about 7 days after so I catch up with everything then. Take care of yourself and let me know how you get on.
Sharon xxxxx

ChoccieMuffin

Hi Sarah, that must have been a bit of moment for you. It reminds me of a time more than 20 years ago when my son was about three. My hair had gone very scrappy after two babies, so I wanted it all cut off. I told him it was happening, but when I came home after the haircut, he burst into tears, ran out of the room saying "I want my other mummy back". But he got over it very quickly, if leaving me rather shaken for a week or so...

Kids are "of the moment", and I am sure your little one will be back to loving mummy within moments, so please don't brood on it.

Guest user
Not applicable

P.s my 5 yrs old came in the kitchen and said, "who are you and how do you know my name" .... That was a bit upsetting.

Guest user
Not applicable

All my hair gone!!! Shaved it off last night... Couldn't stand it any longer, I had lots of hair and was getting sick of picking it out of the cooking... Feels very weird, very cold!!! But I'm sure I'll get used to it.
Planning a sofa day today, log fire on, some old movies, heaven!
Hope everyone ok with fec 2, I'm waiting to hear when I can have my blood done again and get on with it!!
Lots of love xxxx

Guest user
Not applicable

Thank you Den42 and Ragamuffin for the welcome- it has been very reassuring reading the threads as the unknown is very scary!! I had 1st fec 20th jan and due round 2 on 10th feb. I was fine on day 1 but from day 2 until day 9 i felt as if i had a constant hangover- does this happen everytime or does it actually settle down any?

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi

I am having FEC and no TAX as I was allergic to it. The FEC I'm having is 90. I went today and asked about the different types. Normally 75 or 100. Taking into account my height and build the highest amount for me is 90, which apparently is very high for my body mass, etc.

As for the tiredness - week 3 caught me unawares! I had this idea that I would gradually feel more well and then normal. I did feel normal, but knackered! Hey ho, least i know for next time.

FEC2 delivered successfully today.

SarahBeara - I have been given injections that I take at home for a week precisely to keep up my WBC, maybe you could ask about those.

x

Mezzomamma

I've checked the forms I have, and there's nothing to indicate a reduced dose of FEC. The Onc said at the time 'you're healthy enough and young enough (63!) for FEC.' This could be something to chat to the nurse about, though. I think the first time, the nurse said something about the number of syringes, but by that stage of things I wasn't taking much in.

Cheryl

Guest user
Not applicable

Just had phone call from hospital. WBC not good enough to do fec 2 on Wednesday.... Gggrrrrrrrr...getting myself all psyched up for it. If it's like this after 1 dose what's the rest going to be like, obviously have rubbish immune system. Not happy.....

Guest user
Not applicable

Janipi, best of luck with your appt... and I dont think our mums ever expect to have to stop 'mothering' us.. so allow her to revert back to looking after you again, just for a little while!

I am now day 4 post FEC3, and feeling utterly wiped out and exhausted, tho still no fuzzy head, fortunately - that was def. confined to the first session, and was horrid. My mouth is just starting to go claggy again, time to bring out the Difflam. I think I can definitely feel that each chemo cycle is getting a little tougher, prob. because we don't really get back to 100% in between. Hey ho, all FEC done now, bring on the TAX!

I think the percentage FEC you are on is all down to age and general health before starting.. once again, 41 is apparently young and fit (still makes me giggle every time I think of that referring to me), so I'm 100FEC and 100TAX. It also gives the onc. the option of toning it down if it's too much to deal with. They will have picked what they believe is the best course for each of us, but always query/ask questions.. this is your body, so in that consultation, what's on your mind is the most important thing, after all!

Sophie xx

janipi

Me too Cheryl. Jelly legs today. Have to go to Docs in a minute for ECG as pains in chest all last night and today. Fec is full of surprises. I'll be glad to get back to bed when I get home from the doctors. I'm going to hang on to my mum (74), she's taking me FEC makes you feel OLD. She should be hanging on to me.

Mezzomamma

Hi guys, having one of those crash days today, FEC2 day 4. It may be the change in steroid dose & timing, so will have to discuss this next vist to oncologist. I know how to deal with mild queasiness, but I had to give up and go to bed mid-morning and will go back there soon. OH fortunately in at lunchtime & brought me an omlette. I'm just too tired and shaky to do anything, even sit up for long.

I was hoping to feel better today, not worse.

Also, my scalp is very sensitive to any pressure, movement, even very gentle brushing to remove loose hair, but at least it's ok if covered with something smooth. Body hair, inc. lady garden thinning.

Back to bed I think.

Hope it's better for the rest of you!

Cheryl

Guest user
Not applicable

hi everyone

I didn't realise there were different types of fec. Having fec 2 thurs - will ask which one i,m having.

Maria x

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Den42
All i can say is snap i spent most of the morning in bed having no energy and very tired. I have had a busy week relations staying and a funeral so i did put it down to this but reading ur post i am thinking it may just happen in week 3. I have my second fec on Thursday. Good luck for Tuesday, take care

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi all.

Re: the tiredness in week 3, I am going to raise on tuesday at my 2nd fec as I had to spend this morning in bed. I took my 5 year old son and his friend to a party this afternoon and I had to have 2 large mugs of hot chocolate to keep me going, even though I sat down and chatted most of the time. As much as I crave the social bit of seeing the other mums it still tires me out. I have to get my head around the fact that it's not just the boring household chores that are tiring, it's also the fun social stuff.

For those of you who are always looking for nice body lotions etc I am using the sanctuary body oil spray at the moment. Because I just spray it all over its really quick to use and it is minus the effort of having to rub it into the skin. Also, it doesn't mark your clothes. It costs £5 from boots.

Re: wig - hair to ware in hertfordshire was excellent. It is only for clients with hair loss and people cannot see in from the shop window. They were considerate and knew their stuff. I tried on loads and they also trimmed my own hair for me for £12 whilst I was there. I am really happy with my final choice.

Good luck to all those with treatment tomorrow and the rest of the week.

Den42

janipi

Sarah, thinking about you. Well done you for going ahead with a party. Make sure you include the party game where they help clear up lol.You must think of yourself later and have a good rest. I'm Day 4 and I can hardly get up and downstairs so I think you had better pass me over some of your energy vibes. Are we all on FEC 100 or 75? I wonder what makes the decision for a lower dose. I'm FEC 100 and feel like I was hit by a train. Roll on the good days.!!

Peachez

Pat, The film is good isn’t it? You’ve reminded me I have to get down to be properly fitted with new bras now I’ve got my ‘proper’ falsie too. I haven’t managed to give it a name yet, apart from a very unimaginative one, I definitely haven’t warmed to it, it gets dumped unceremoniously in its box every night - though it is a lot better on than the bean bag effort.
Two weeks post FEC1 I also came out in spots in random places. Some painful. Skin has been drier than normal but am now using stuff from LGFB goodie bag which seems to be helping. Central heating at this time of year is always drying too but I’m sure some of it is down to the Chemo.
Btw, you don’t need to excuse yourself from treats! In fact I would positively encourage you!! I have been playing with some scarves pulled from the back of the wardrobe this morning. (there are a couple of useful scarf tying videos on YouTube).

Den42, I concur with others, I had much more energy week 2 than 3.

Sarah, hope the party went off ok and the entertainer did his/her job! Should be lots of exhausted 8 yr olds by the end!

Cheryl, agree totally about taking it easy. Sorry you didn’t get to hear your daughters concert. Hope you feel well enough to get to choir on Thursday.

Pxxx

Mezzomamma

Hope the party is ok. I'm sure the collapse will be well earned.

Cheryl

Guest user
Not applicable

Good luck Sarah - birthday parties are an ordeal at best of times, but it won't last forever xxxxxx

Guest user
Not applicable

Trying to summon up the energy for the birthday party this arvo........ Shall collapse in a heap no doubt later. Bandana on head, only half a head of hair left!!!! Xxxx

Mezzomamma

Good morning, all. I've got the first small thinning-to-bald patch at the back of the top of my head, near the end of my parting, along with the straggly edges. Not too noticeable, but scarf time is drawing near.

Red face is fading, I think, but still getting shaking hands--the dex, probably, but at least I don't have to take that for long.

I am less queasy on this regime. I can eat more normal meals, but the queasiness comes on if I go too long without eating or drinking something, so I still need a snack or two in between.

I hope you are all well and enjoying the weekend. I need to go down and sort out some lunch following a nice long chat with DD2. I think it's got to be leftovers, Sunday or no.

Cheryl

pattymi

Hi ladies thought I'd just pop in with an update, had a hard time with the constipation Wednesday!!! But been smashing since. Ventured into town Thursday, visited Bravissimo and now have real bras that fit me and the wobbly (my name for the prosthesis) into boots for lovely face creams ( anyone else got dry & spotty skin, oh wrinkles too but can't blame bc for them) wandered into John Lewis for a bacon gutty and a jaeger cashmere jumper leapt into my hand, well it was a sale and it'll last ages, sorry ladies I sometimes miss having someone to make excuses to. Oh there was a sale in tie rack too so got several scarves to play chemo chic with.
Friday had a quiet day waiting for GP and district nurse just to sort out sick notes prescriptions line care etc. Then went out with pal for meal out and cinema to see the kings speech, really good film.
So all in all not doing bad at all, oh yes new room coming on apace, carpets tuesday, sofas Wednesday la la la life is good, hope I'm not going to fall flat on my face.
Best wishes to all enjoy the good days, hope the side effects are kind
((((hugs)))) Pat

Mezzomamma

Cheeks are turning bright pink again, so I guess I'll be red again by morning.

I'm very cheesed off because a concert my DD is playing in was supposed to be webcast, or part of it, and it's over an hour past the start time, so clearly nothing's going to happen beyond 2 boring publicity photos on a black background. I couldn't go because of the distance and chemo yesterday.

Oh well I'd better clear up and start getting ready for bed.

Cheryl

Mezzomamma

I found that I needed to rest more after everything, even an easy night out with friends. This has actually been a fairly busy week with me, with 4 appointments in total, two of them fairly long and involving procedures and I was pretty tired before the chemo session.

I found going out in the cold wind even for a short time was hard, too.

Next week should be a lot quieter for me, so I'm not going to push anything until I feel more energetic. I hope I'll be ok for choir on Thursday, though.

It looks as though we all need to rest a bit more, and concentrate just on things that are really necessary or enjoyable, and go by what our own bodies tell us and not what someone else does.

Cheryl