363459posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any advice please :(

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Any advice please :(

Hi Bethy, thank you for replying to my post, I am sorry to hear about your Fibroadenoma turning out to be BC, to be honest thats not the first time I have heard about this type of thing happening. I just hope like you said I will be celebrating, I have my op on the 8th April, then will receive the full results 10 days after that, I will just concentrate on enjoying Easter with my children.

Take care of yourself, I will let you know how I get on x

Hi at45,

You certainly have made me feel better reading your post, you seem to know what you're talking about, and have made me feel very positive now, as I said above mid April I should know exactly what's happening, and I can take it from the there. Thank you so much for spending the time to reply to my post. Take care, I will be in touch x

Hi Joleen, I did respond to your other thread, but can see that you are really worried about this, and I don't blame you. The thing to hang on to is that just because certain conditions have typical presentations, ie fibroadenomas are round and moveable, cancers are hard and spiky, cysts are soft and squishy - everyone, and therefore everyones body is individual and it follows that what the cells in their body do will be relatively indvidual too. So, not everyones cyst, fibro, cancer will look the same, or present in the same way as everyone elses.
When the pathologist looked at your biopsy, he/she saw cells that are typically found in fibroadenomas - if nothing else was found they have to conclude that they found a fibroadenoma. Because this finding didn't correlate with the surgeons clinical exam, or the imaging, they have to investigat further. Normally a triple assessment of clinical exam, imaging and biopsy will have all three investigations concur and can be considered 99% accurate for diagnosis. If the findings fail to agree, surgical excision is the next step - anyhting that is removed from the body will be sent to pathology ( even excess breast tissue from a reduction is sent to pathology). This gives the pathologist a larger specimen to investigate -usually what is called a frozen section is made during or soon after the operation, which will give a preliminary but pretty accurate result - after the remaining tissue is sent to the lab and various processes are applied which further characterise it in a very very through manner. If your funky fibroadenoma is anything else, they will be able to tell you.
I did a little check of the research, on rare occasions malignancy can be found within a fibradenoma - this isnt suspected on imaging because it is normally found inside the firbroadenoma. Fibros consist of over excited and prolific breast cells - it's breat tissue gone mad, therefore anything that can happen to normal breast tissue ( like cysts, fat necrosis, cancer etc) can also happen to a fibroadenoma - but this is an unusual finding.
Bethy is right, you do have a fantastic surgeon who is being very proactive and thorough - and though none of this will help much with the anxiety of waiting for a definitive diagnosis take heart that your worries are being adressed by a good doctor. That's worth its weight in gold at this time as Bethy's story shows.
I sincerely hope they get this out, it is just a bit of over excited breast tissue that is a bit on the showy side and that your surgeon wants to write a paper on it because it's an unusual presentation worthy of a mention in the literature. If it isn't, we are all here for you. Take care.

Hi Joleen
Wow...what a fantastic surgeon you have! I had what I was told was a Fibrodenoma for 2 years before it was agreed that they would remove it. The results were not good...Grade 2 and having waited those 2 years it had spread to lymph system. We did try and sue but thats another story!! Needless to say I am now treated by another highly respected cancer hospital!
Try not to worry... if its bad you will get through it and if its clear you can go away and celebrate knowing its not with you anymore.
Best wishes and let us know how things go
Bethy x

Hi Joleen,

While you are waiting for replies from your fellow forum users I have put for you below the link to BCC's publication regarding fibroadenoma's which I hope you find helpful.

http://www2.breastcancercare.org.uk/publications/benign-breast-conditions/fibroadenoma-bcc72

Take care,

Jo, Facilitator

Any advice please :(

Hi to all you ladies,
I've been reading lots of discussions on this website for a few weeks now, but only just managed to find the courage to join. I suppose I should tell you my story..... I am 37 yrs old, 2 weeks ago I found a lump on my breast, when to my gp who then referred me to my local breast care unit. Whilst I was there I had an ultrasound, mammo and 3 biopsies taken, the consultant said that the lump looked very suspicious and he was sorry that in his opinion it looked like a tumour. He talked about having a lumpectomy and discussed radiotherapy , he then arranged for me to come back in a weeks time for biopsy results.
i came back from that appointment yesterday, he said now he thought it was a Fibroadenoma, as that what the biopsy results came back as, although he did say that Fibroadenomas are usually round in shape, and tend to move around the breast. My lump isn't moveable and long rather than Round and has jagged edges, so because of this he still wants it removing to be sent off to pathology, he said he's not worried and also for me not to worry and it will be fine!!

im sorry to babble on, but I honestly don't know what to think now, I'm going to see the surgeon next week to discuss this. I would very much appreciate any help or advise on this, as I'm going out of my mind with worry
xx