Any back suffers had a DIEP?

Hello ladies I was dx 30 April had mx 8 May had large tumor with 2 lymph nodes had chemo and rads. I had an implant with exspandern, unfortunatlly this has moved to under my arm and has gone very tight, so has to be removed. I have sufered with my back for many years I had crumberling dics two in my lower spine and one in my kneck, so suffer lots of lower back pain left leg pain and weakness in it, had surgery many moons ago. Saw PS spoke to him about my back and the surgery for reconstruction, the one from the back not possible as I don’t have enough fat on my back plus use the mussle at the back to use my stick on the right side which is the side I had my mx. Have a very fat stomach so enough fat and skin to make a new boob, but as they take so much skin from my tummy i have been told you stup for a few weeks after surgery and it is always tight. So PS and I are worried this would play my core mussles and affect my back getting worse. Although I suffer quite a lot with my spin and weakness in my leg my qualaty of life is ok It has improved with new meds so before dx my oh and I had just started fostering which we will go back too.
So if any of you loverly ladies have had a DIEP who also have back problems, but have had the surgery, would be good to now how it went for you and how it affected your back. Iam 47yr old and on Tamoxifen for ten years.
Thank you ladies for your time and surpport.
Carol.
xxxx

Hello Carolann7

While you are waiting for replies may I suggest that you give our free helpline a ring on 0808 800 6000 and have a confidential chat with one of the breast care nurses who are here to support you. Lines are open to Monday to Friday 9.00 – 5.00 and Saturday 10.00 – 2.00.

Best wishes

June, moderator

Hello Carolann7,

My name is bunty and just 4 weeks ago I had a DIEP at the Marsden, I have a bad back L5 S1, after the op I was told to walk about, It hurt my back so much but because I have arthitis and a trapped nerve in my spine, my back and leg was uncomfortable. However I was given pain killers that took the edge off it, It was so much better when I got home to my own bed, chair etc.
Its not as bad as they make out because when you suffer from back pain your just used to it! I had a double mx and immediate reconstruction with a DEIP. the only problem I have is that my wounds are dressed daily by the district nurses, cause I got an infection. I am healing nicely and I can sit, walk a bit and judge my own back. Hope this helps you. Bunty x

Bunty thank you so much for your reply, so glad to hear you are doing well, double mx you must be one brave lady. I get what you say about once you suffer with back pain, only when I saw the PS he said he was worried about me being on the op table for 6/8 hours and how it would effect my back because of the stupping after the op. I’m having my implant removed on the 12 March, and will see how i feel without. The only time it bothers me at the moment is when I’m buying new clothes, but as I don’t do that very often may be I will be ok without the DIEP.
Thank you again
Carol.

Hello Carol and Bunty
I had a MX, ANC & DIEP done six weeks ago and although I do not suffer from a bad back I can appreciate the problems you face/faced.
I was in ICU for 24hrs after surgery and was very impressed by the airflow mattress I was put on. Did you have the same Bunty? It gently undulates under your body releaving pressure. It might be worth asking your consultant if it would help for the duration of your hospital stay?
All the best
Suzy

sorry Suzy, just saw your post, yes in critical care ward after the op, they gave me a warm huggy cover, it was soooo lovely that I kept asking for it on the ward!! Alas they declined. I was expecting to get an email if someone commented on this thread?

The special mattress is a Nimbus and the warm cover after surgery is a Bair Hugger - known in the trade as a Huggy Bear for obvious reasons!

I have a bad back - Osteo Arthritis from C1 right through to T5 and my mother developed scoliosis when she was in her 70s. My BS prefers an LD flap but I expressed my concerns about my back and we are ging to have a discussion about options in May.

Hi Ninja, thanks for replying. I saw my ps in Febuary when i explained about my back problems, my sicatic nerve is damaged so I have mobilaty problems as my left leg is weak and gives way. He said he would not do ld flap as I don,t have enough fat there so he would also have to use implant, which I would not like as the one I had put in after my mx with exspander has moved to under my arm and gone hard and painfull. This I am having removed on Tuesday, but ps said if I had the DIEP, it could affect my back badly with the stupping after the op plus he did not like the idea of me being on the table between 6-10 hours. He said if I could not live with just one breast then he would do the op as long as I have took into account what it could do to my back.
So I’m going to see how I feel with just one, as two boobs would be great but not if it makes my back worse and in that affects my quality of life. Hope your discussions go better in May would be great to now how you go. Thanks again.
Carol. XXX