Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any help, suggestions or words of wisdom greatly received please

6 REPLIES 6
Guest user
Not applicable

Re: Any help, suggestions or words of wisdom greatly received please

Hi Debbie

I noticed your post is not that long ago and you have not posted since. I can completely understand this, however when you do come back on this site, I can only give my version of events.

I currently have bone mets to every vetebrae in my spine, my pelvis, skull, sternum and right scapula (diagnosed Dec 11), was given anastrozole treatment for 3 months as initially diagnosed (Dec 09) as +er. However, treatment failed and now oncologists are unsure of my hormone status and saying that the cancer has probably changed. March scan showed multiple lesions on liver (grown in 3 months), started taxotere chemotherapy in March and May scan shows significant reduction in liver with only one spot remaining and still 2 chemotherapy sessions to go.

Therefore, if I was in your position, I would definitely have chemotherapy for the liver, and to be honest that's the one you have to tackle first and foremost. And if scans show that this is not the case, bone mets can be stabilised a lot more easily, so there is still a lot of hope.

Wishing you all the best

Debs x
celiab

Hello I've had liver and bone mets for a few years now. The treatment has tended to alternate between chemotherapy and hormone treatment as well as zometa. The liver mets have responded to both the hormones and chemo in their turn but for different lengths of time. I had a particularly good response to one hormone treatment that kept my liver mets stable for ages so if RFA is not an option there are lots of others out there.Cx

VerityC

Hi Debbie,
I am sorry to read of your situation. I think m1yu has answered the points very clearly. As one with (previous) liver mets I certainly found her explanation very clear. (Thank you m1yu!).
Hopefully you will be told that the cancer has not spread to your liver, but if it has you might wish to ask your oncologist if the tumours are suitable for radio frequency ablation (RFA). A probe is inserted into the centre of the tumour and that effectively microwaves the tumour. (That is how my medics explained it to me). There are several threads about RFA on the site. Mine was done after chemo and was a success. That is not to say that I will not develop further mets in my liver, but I am hoping and praying...(!!)
However, I hope this is academic and that your liver is clear, obviously.
So sorry you have lost you husband and have the added worry of the effect of this on your daughter having already suffered that loss. I too am in that boat. It can be very tough. I take comfort from the fact that treatments have improved so much over recent years and continue to do so....
Good luck and best wishes.
Verity.x

Sam_BCC

Hi debcat
It sounds like you're having a pretty tough time at the moment. As well as the support you are receiving here it might help to talk things through with a trained member of staff on the BCC helpline. Here you can share your concerns with someone who will offer you a listening ear as well as support and information. The number to call is 0808 800 6000 and the lines are open Monday to Friday 9 to 5pm and Saturday 9 to 2pm.
Best wishes Sam, BCC Facilitator

scottishlass

Hello Debbie, I have got extensive bone mets and have had them since 2000. I am on The infusion you are on Zolidronate and WA|S on the Letrozole/Femara until I started oral chemo and am on round 5 of that right now. I have been "lucky" in that I have not had any spread oer the last 13 years. I do have bone mets in my spine, ribs thorax and the pelvis. The pelvis is the area most affected. I had lymph node involvement whan I was first diagnposed in 1989 and had 10 years getting on with life until I found out about the bone mets. If I can help in any way I am here to help with any questions. Wishong you all the best on yourfuture treatment. Take care, val

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Debbie,

I have liver and bone mets (inc. spine), too. Liver currently stable thankfully. I'm also strongly ER+ and PR+. From my own experience and what I understand, I can suggest the following, but if you are still worried, I suggest you to speak to your oncologist or your BCN.

Liver usually responds better to chemo then hormonal treatment and is considered to be "urgent" for chemo. Thus, if your liver MRI comes back positive for cancer, chemo is a must.

Bone usually responds quite well to hormonal treatment and zoledronic acid. I'm being the unfortunate few, so just about to switch to a new bone drug. So, you should be safe without chemo. As for the slight cord compression and op. It all depends on whether you get any symptoms from it. I had a partially collapsed C7 since 2009, no symptoms whatsoever until recently. So, they did an op for me about 1.5 months ago and all the symptoms are more or less gone. Still waiting for the follow up appt from the surgeon.

Any op carries riskes. In my case, my tablet chemo had to be stopped for the op to go ahead. But cancer came back while I was off all medication, which made me quite ill during my recovery from the op... and now I'm back on IV chemo, not happy, but I didn't have a choice.

I hope it helps with what they've decided for you regarding your treatment options. If you have more questions, feel free to ask.

M xx
Guest user
Not applicable

Any help, suggestions or words of wisdom greatly received please

Hi all
I found out back in 2009 that I had cancer in just one vertebrae, about 4 weeks ago I was told that it had spread to multiple areas on my spine and that I had slight spinal cord compression, it was decided that surgery was not in my best interest at this point so I was told that I would have chemo. I had a ct scan that came back as clear apart from several lymph nodes being enlarged so I went on my merry way waiting for a clinic appointment. I went to clinic where I was told that on my spinal mri they could see part of my liver and it had been reported that they were liver lesions, which was a shock after being told organs were clear. I have been waiting for an appt to start chemo but got fed up waiting so I called my bcn. I spoke to her after she had spoken to the doctor and I will be having an mri on my liver. I have now been told that if the liver is clear they may not do chemo, this is where I'm confused and worried. I am a single parent with a 12yr daughter, she has already been through loss as her father died not long after i have my bi-lat mastectomy.
I would be grateful for any advise/words of wisdom. My gut says push for chemo, I'm worried that if the lymph nodes have cancer in them then surely it will go to my organs faster. I have zoledronic acid infusions and I'm on letrozole, I've been told that they will change the letrozole (I'm P+) but I'm not sure I trust hormone therapy alone,
I'm sorry this is all over the place and probably doesn't make much sense, my brain is scrambled.
Thank you
Debbie x