68527members
360444posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any link between BC and Pancreatic Cancer?

7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted

Re: Any link between BC and Pancreatic Cancer?

Message for midget Hi Emma

to be honest when i posted the question I was going through a very \'why me...why my dad?\' stage. I\'m now in a happier place and got the all clear from a breast lump of my own so have not done anything else just yet.

I do work for the NHS and have access to some top quality clinicians and advice so I will pick this up perhaps after my holiday. Do have reservations though mostly incase it drags up more pain and turmoil for my mum.

I will let you know if I make any progress in the area of course - I truly hope that your aunt is not too ill or uncomfortable.

Take Care

Mel
x

Highlighted

Similar Situation Hi MelJane,

I hope you are well.

Thanks to your kind response to my previous post in the Family, partner and friends section. I think you are aware that our situations are very similar.

My family history is that not only my dad died of pancreatic cancer (age 55), but my dad\'s uncle also died of the same disease at the same age. My dad\'s grandmother died of cancer, but we don\'t know which type. On my mum\'s side her sister now has advanced breast cancer.

I too have read that there are strong links between the two cancers. At the moment the University of Liverpool is doing research into hereditary pancreatic cancer (Europac), but it seems hard to find details of the link between the two.

As dad died so quickly (and was in such terrible pain), it was all a very confusing time and I have no understanding of what tests were done. I have put off joining the Europac study as I think it would be too hard to drag everything up at the moment especially with my aunt being ill.

Please let me know how you get on with your research...

Love and best wishes
Emma

Highlighted

Thanks Thanks for your responses.

My dads primary tumour was his pancreas but it was the lliver cancer that ultimately resulted in him dying and it was very quick and painful for him.

I will explore his family tree a bit more to look for any patterns or recurrences. On the plus side my mums family are all trojans - living well into their naughty nineties.

Thanks again -

Mel Jane
xxx

Highlighted

not sure.... but Hi MelJane,

My cousin and I were both told we had the BRCA2 mutation last year, this was passed onto me from my Mum who died 17years ago now with breast cancer.

My Mum\'s Dad (my grandad) died when I was 12, and from what I can remember I was told he died with liver cancer, but I was never told where the primary was.

Mum\'s sister was diagnosed with bilateral breast cancer, and shes fine, and we also have a great uncle who had breast cancer and great cousins who died with ovarian cancer, all from my Grandad\'s side of the family.

My cousin and I have talked about this and do wonder if our Grandad\'s primary was his pancreas, he was fine and died very quickly. We have also read about families with BRCA2 having risks with pancreatic cancer, melonoma, and also occular cancers... great eh!

So sorry to hear about your Dad and Auntie, maybe you should have a look at your family tree and see any other members of your family on your Dad\'s side.

Good luck, I hope everything turns out ok.
Lynne xx

Highlighted

Hi MelJane I have a strong history of bc (mum & 2 aunts). In our family history as far as I can trace back we also have bowel cancer (great-grandmother in early 40\'s) and my great-uncle who had prostate cancer at a young age. These are all on the same side of the family, and the genetics clinic believe that the faulty gene (as yet unidentified) was passed on to mum and her sisters from my grandfather. Both of my aunts were diagnosed in their 40\'s with bc and my mum was diagnosed aged 52.

There are believed to be some links between bc and other cancers, and the breast cancer care section on genetics does list a few I think.

Good luck with all your research

take care
Justine

Highlighted

Hi MelJane Just wanted to welcome you to the forum and hope you get some answers.

Although I have a terrible family history of cancer, there\'s no pancreatic cancer in it, so I haven\'t explored any links between that and BC.

I\'ve just found a site all about risk managment for people with faulty BRCA genes or other hereditory factors, and they mention pancreatic cancer but with only small risks. The site is really interesting, it\'s at

http://www.facingourrisk.org/risk_management/other_cancer_risks.html

Hopefully someone else here will be able to give you some more help.

Cheers
Sue

Highlighted

Any link between BC and Pancreatic Cancer? Hi - this is my first post here, i have read some of the archives and some of the stories are inspiring.

My question is that my lovely dad died from pancreatic cancer in 2003 and his sister died 6 months later from BC. I have recently read some american journal articles lining these 2 cancers and indicating that they can be passed down from father to daughter.

has anyone else stumbled accross this link and for those of you with strong histories of BC - were tere any cases of pancratic cancer in your male relatives?

Thanks for any help

MelJane

Highlighted