Any other younger women wth breast cancer out there?

I am 27 and was diagnosed with DCIS and an invasive tumour 2 weeks ago. It is 3.5 cm and I have a mastectomy and LD Flap reconstruction next Thursday. Are there any younger women who can share their experiences of this procedure? I am finding lots of blogs etc by women in their 40s, 50s and 60s and wondering if I am the only one out there!

Hi Cassie, I had a mastectomy and LD flap recon last year. I was also 27 when I was diagnosed and also had a lot dcis (about 9cm) and a bi-focal tumour which means there were two tumour sites in the breast. The surgery takes about 4 hours and I was up and around the place the next day. It is not painful just uncomfortable for a while after, like you can’t sleep on that side for a few weeks. Please ask me any questions you have but it’s a wee bit late now and I must hop off to bed so I’ll chat to you tomorrow. Take care and hope you’re doing ok, x

Hi Cassie

Welcome to the forums, I have posted below for you the link to BCC’s publication on breast reconstruction, I hope it’s helpful. You can either download a copy or order a free copy to be posted out to you. If you wish to discuss breast reconstruction or any other issue, our helpline staff will be only too happy to have a chat with you. The calls are free, lines open Mon - Fri 9am to 5pm and Sat 9am - 2pm. Tel. no 0808 800 6000. Hope this is all of some help to you.

breastcancercare.org.uk/content.php?page_id=663

Best wishes
Lucy

Hi Cassie,
I was diagnosed in april with bc & dcis and have had a mastectomy but no reconstruction as i’m having chemotherapy & radiotherapy first.
I’m 25 so a little younger than you but not much!! Feel free to chat whenever u need to, we are also on facebook which makes talking to each other more personal if you are too and wish to add any of us (let me know n i’ll give u my name if you are)…
Hope you’re ok and have a good lot of support around you at such a hard time…
Things do get easier as time goes by-i promise!Lauren.x.

Hi Cassie,

I’m 24 so you’re not alone, there are also a couple of other girls I speak to who are 25 and 26… I started a discussion called Starting TAC Chemo and Nervous which has them both on so there are a few of us little uns on here!

I was lucky because I didn’t have to have a mastectomy but will still need a reconstruction, but it won’t be until 6 months after my treatment.

I had a 4cm tumour and it had spread to my lymph nodes… they thought that it was terminal at one point but luckily it hadn’t (I was owed a bit of luck at some point! lol). I had my first chemo 2 weeks ago, I’m having 6xTAC chemo because I’m triple positive it also means that I’ll be on Tamoxifen and Herceptin.

So, although I don’t know about this specific procedure I’m obviously starting the next stage of treatment and would be happy to share any experiences I’ve had… but chemo is so not as bad as I thought… in fact I’m off to go and buy a new bike today so I can get some exercise in the sunshine!

Be strong!

Erin
xxx

Hey!

I was 28 when I was DX… then 29 when I had my mastectomies… this was last year, and I happily celebrated my 30th last week in style…

I’m back in tomorrow - I see you are having your surgery on Thursday… Good luck - make sure you take extra comfort with you for your operated side… extra pillows are always a bonus!!

Stay positive xxxx

Hi Cassie

I was also 27 when diagnosed last year. My tumour was 4cm and I had chemo and then surgery - my mastectomy was in January. I am having a different type of recon to you - with a tissue expander - so I can’t help with that I’m afraid.

I have just “celebrated” the first anniversary of my diagnosis. The first couple of months are a bit of a whirlwind but I can’t believe a year has passed now. It does go quickly I promise you.

BC sucks no matter what age you are I suppose but I think you feel a bit more cheated - not to mention a bit of a freak! - at our age. Hopefully because you’re young, you’ll bounce back from the treatment and the surgery quickly like I did.

All the best for Thursday and for the rest of your treatment.

J xx

There’s several of us in our early 30’s too. I’m 33.

It seems the younger an fitter you are the faster you recover generally from surgery which is one piece of good news at least.

Afraid I didn’t go for recon so can’t offer any advice but was out walking the dog as soon as they took the drains out (a week post op). I had bilateral mastectomy.

Good luck with it hopefully like me and quite a few other people you’ll have very little pain.

Angie xXx

Hi,

I’m also 34 and was dx at 21.7.08. I class myself as young and have 3 young kids. initially it frightening but at time goes by it does get easier to deal with. The fears are there but you get use to living and enjoying the day rather than looking to far ahead into the future.

Good luck with your treatment.

Sukes

Hi ya,

I have been desperate to speak to people my own age who have been diagnosed, for ages now. I was diagnosed in February this year, with a small, grade 3, tumour. I had a WLE, and full lymph node clearance. No cancer in all 16 lymph nodes, but having the works as far as treatment goes. Ive just finished 6 x FEC (on day 10 post last one), and am about to start radiotherapy, Herceptin and Tamoxifen.

I used the cool cap for my chemo, and so far, Ive lost about 50% of my hair, but its come out evenly, so it doesnt look too bad (just thin). Im desperate for it to stop coming out now. I found chemo s**t, but not as bad as I had imagined. I had 2 admissions to hospital with neutropenia, and was very poorly the first time. I have put on 1/2 stone as I find eating stops the nausea! Just suffering from mouth sores, phlebitis in my left arm (following admission to hospital this week for IV antibiotics) and anaemia at the moment.

Im so angry when I go to the hospital, as Im the only one in their 20’s. If my mom comes with me, the doctors start to speak to her, as if shes the patient! Im fed up with being off work, but was encouraged not to work due to the infection risk (I work in a hospital). I plan to go back as soon as radio is finished, but am worried about the burns I may have, after reading some of the discussions on here. Im also concerned about my fertility, but know that I cant think about this too much as the treatment comes first. Luckily, I had some eggs & embryos frozen before I started chemo.

I have a facebook account and would love to chat to anyone on there.

It was good to read your comments so far.

HOW STRANGE!

Anne, I too was diagnosed in February this year, had WLE and full lymph node clearence with no cancer in the nodes. I too have just finished my 6 x TAC on 23/7 and also have had fertility treatment. I am 26 and find it frustrating and embarrassing sometimes about my age and hate sitting in waiting rooms full of pensioners sometimes. Have met some lovely younger folk too but no-one near my age.

The work issue is a weird coincidence too - I’ve been off 6 months now as I work in a hospital as a midwife so wouldn’t risk the germs. I’m having 6 weeks off following the radio to give me time to recover. Have learnt to be selfish and listen to my body, which is tired tired tired!

Would to chat some more x

Kate x

Hi guys

I’m not as young as any of you at 42, but am apparently still classified as young. I have a young son who’s 2 and 8 months. I got my diagnosis on 22 July and am scheduled for a right mastectomy this coming Wednesday.

Fingers crossed for all of you Im just waiting for test results from Biopsie,My heart goes out to you all having to deal with this crap disease,Im 35

Hi all
I was 29 at diagnosis (grade 3 triple neg 2.5cm no lymph nodes affected, no recon yet) and celebrated my 30th just before my 4th of 6 FECs. Had right mastectomy in April and started rads 3 weeks ago. I’m married, but no kids, managed to squeeze in fertility treatment before chemo (my mum loves to tell all her friends that she is a grandmother of 12!). I was v sick during chemo, but no blood problems (got phlebitis too).

Like Anne and Kate, I’m always the youngest in the waiting rooms - I see the same crowd every day having rads and the youngest one is 68!

Anne - I’m on Facebook too (look for the fat ballerina…), would love to chat

Good luck dids, fingers crossed for you…

Should have added that my surname is

:slight_smile:

Vicky

hiya all
Im 35 and was diagnosed in February this year after lots of changes to minds I had a grade 3, 3cms lump and lump under arm which they assumed would be in lots of lymph nodes, was only in the one and surrounding tissue, in the end had masectomy and having to wait for recon - this terrifies me and so wish I could have had it done at same time as not sure how I will put myself through more surgery. Had 3 fec, 1 tax and another 2 to go before rads and then unfortunatly my overies out due to a family history, Ive no kids and widowed so a bit upset about this but needs must.

im on facebook under lisa but not fully addicted yet
xx

hi there …i’m 29 diagnosed at 22 now diagnosed with secondaries but still as strong as ever …he…he… i’m working in a hospital as a pharmacist…and is working between cheno…good luck on your treatment …

love
izzati

Hi everyone

I just wanted to let you know that one of the services offered by Breast Cancer Care is a telephone support group for younger women. This group provides an opportunity to share experiences with and gain support from other young women with breast cancer. The groups last for an hour a week for 8 weeks and usually take place in the evening. The next group starts on 21st August – if you want to find out about joining this group or a group later in the year please call the helpline on 0808 800 6000 or e-mail <script type=“text/javascript”>eval(unescape(‘%64%6f%63%75%6d%65%6e%74%2e%77%72%69%74%65%28%27%3c%61%20%68%72%65%66%3d%22%6d%61%69%6c%74%6f%3a%74%65%6c%65%70%68%6f%6e%65%73%75%70%70%6f%72%74%67%72%6f%75%70%73%40%62%72%65%61%73%74%63%61%6e%63%65%72%63%61%72%65%2e%6f%72%67%2e%75%6b%22%3e%74%65%6c%65%70%68%6f%6e%65%73%75%70%70%6f%72%74%67%72%6f%75%70%73%40%62%72%65%61%73%74%63%61%6e%63%65%72%63%61%72%65%2e%6f%72%67%2e%75%6b%3c%2f%61%3e%27%29%3b’))</script>

Best wishes

Ann

Hello Everybody

I am 36yrs old and was diagnosed in february after IVF with a Invasive Ductal Carcinoma Grade 3, I had a right masectomy and 7 lymph glands removed with were all clear (thank goodness). I then was rushed into hospital with a ectopic pregnancy (my 3rd), right tube removed. I haven’t any children (just 5 embryos), I have just gone through 4 cycles of epi and cyclophosamide and I am due to start first cycle of 4 of taxotere. This forum is brilliant, it really keeps me going even when I am feeling CRAP.

You are all fab

Lots of love
Emma
xx

hi there all

Im a newly dx with BC on the 11th july i’m only 33 with 2 children never thought i would get BC no family history. Just qualified as a nurse in September 07 best day of ma life thought everything was going good till now. i have a grade 3 aggressive cancer in my breast plus swelling under my arm i’ve had all ma scans which i get resultson friday am well worried. Having chemo first then surgery and rads. Had first FEC two weeks ago had few side effects strange taste in mouthe, constipation and tierdness thats the worst but otherwise fine am taking everyday as it comes and feeling stronger as days go by being postive will help you and anyone else i really agree with that stay strong take every help that is offered and just keep ya heads up we are all young women and can fight this so called gremlin as i call mine good luck ive just started my long journey and so have you we will get too the end

netty33 xxxxxxx