Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any suggestions about night sweats

15 REPLIES 15
Guest user
Not applicable

Re: Any suggestions about night sweats

I find my chillow wonderful at night. It only takes a couple of minutes to cool me down well, lying on it on my front, then turning over. I also find a 'Cobber' fantastic. A bit like a chillow, but looks like a small scarf. I got it by Googling. cost £12.
Following soneone's advice on here, I started Starflower oil 5 weeks ago. It took 4 weeks, but since then my hot flushes and night sweats are definitely better. I've tried most other herbs etc, and this is the only one to help me. Good luck!

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi girls

I too have a chillow pillow and I love it. When you cool down just put it on OH head he dont notice lol xx

Hi ladies the lady care magnet can be ordered via a freephone no cost around £24 ben using mine for months and not had any full blown flushes however usually have at least 6-8 on day of chemo, I often feel as if my face is red but have been assured by my oh that it,s not good luck x

Guest user
Not applicable

A few weeks ago, I googled menopausal night sweats and found a company that makes special bedclothes here in the UK. They weren't cheap, and I was worried about sending off my money- but I was getting desperate, and so was husband, who was waking up in a swamp too. Anyway, they arrived within two days, and they've been life-changing. I got a bottom sheet, two pillowcases and a duvet cover. All the surfaces which touch your body are special material. It is lovely and soft and smooth. Goodness knows how it works (although it does explain on the website), but the material somehow keeps dry even when I have been really, really, really sweating pints (Sorry if too much info, but if you have shared the experience of soaking wet hair, pillow, and freezing cold aftermath of soaked sheets, you know what I mean!) I am not sure if I am allowed to give the name of the company here, but you can google it like I did. Clue:The lady who runs it is called Wendy and I promise she is not paying me!. If I was reading this I would think this was an advert or something, but it's not, honest. The stuff washes and tumble dries really easily, too, and don't seem to need any more washing than 'normal' people's bedclothes either - they stay bone dry and not niffy (sorry if too much info again but trying to address the sort of questions the website didn't address). Lord knows where the moisture goes, but it doesn't seem to stay in the duvet, pillows, etc. Husband loves them because he gets to be dry and comfy too - and he says they feel much nicer than our ordinary bedclothes, so that's a bonus. They are pure white and have pin tucks so they look just like normal. The whole set cost £170 which seemed rather a risky amount to spend at the time, but it is the very best buy I've made during the whole of this BC experience.

hi andie,
i put a towel on my end of the bed and it soaks up the water leaving me feeling a bit drier, also a fan in the bedroom is an amazing idea and i also sleep with a light throw over me saves trying to push back the duvet 10 times a night. good luck x

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Andie,

My night sweats and hotflushes have almost gone since I started taking Evening Primrose oil. Check out the post
" Should I take Evening Primrose " started by Christiane.
Best of luck with your Chemo, it will be over with quicker than you think.
Lots lof Love Andrea xx

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi

Thanks to you all for your suggestions. I was beginning to think it was just me. I tried the magicool last night and accidently missed me so the sheet got slightly damp.That helped though. Going on the internet now to order a chillow.

Hugs and kisses

AndieT

Hi,
I too have the chillow pillow and find its great. I also have a sheet under the duvet so during the night I can move between having full duvet, just the sheet, or nothing at all...!!

Katie

Guest user
Not applicable

hi everyone!

I'm so glad I found this thread! I'm suffering with this too.I told my doctor and he just said its the chemo, really helpful. I'm on the TAC regime.I've just had my fifth out of six session.I started getting the night sweats from about the third session when my periods also stopped.I agree about the steroids etc too.I always look flushed with them.

I'm afraid I haven't got any more advice but I do have a can of magicool next to my bed.It's a fine water mist and occassionally it helps.Also I have some facial wipes that help,like a wet flannel but smells refreshing.I think I'll invest in a chillow pillow too!

I f I have any other ideas I'll let you know! Thanks Jen x

Guest user
Not applicable

hi Andy et al

I've found the Chillow pillow fantastic - layit on the bed, blue side up and allow yourself to roll on it when you need to. I'ts a bit hard and gets hot to keep just as a pillow. It's around £26 and worth every penny. I also wear coton pj's so that I can get rid of the bed clothes without freezing when the furnace sets in. And I agree - I think it's the chemo, odenestron and steroids that do it - it's only really for the first week or so.

Td x

Guest user
Not applicable

Never undestimate the power of a wet flannel on the back of your neck either... if you can have one soaked in some chilled chamomile tea even better, not sure why it seems to help but I've used it in the past for heat stroke style side effects, The chamomile does seem to make a real difference IMO.

Angie

Guest user
Not applicable

I seem to get them on the 3 days after my chemo, ie while taking the ondansetron and steroids. Had last dose of the for this round last night and OH pointed out that my hands, feet and face were like little furnaces (feet are usually blocks of ice). I'm not convinced it's the menopause either as chemo can apparently cause temporary cesation as well as menopause. I'd talk to the chemo nurses rather than your BCN as I've noticed each dept has a difference of opinion on these things sometimes.

I keep water next to the bed to keep hydrated during those few days. It tends to calm down after the first week, e a few days after the FEC has left my system, how about you?

Hi all

You may be interested in one of our publications which addresses some of the issues you are discussing here. It is a factsheet entitled Menopausal Symptons and Breast Cancer and can be either downloaded or ordered from the site. I have given the link here:

http://www.breastcancercare.org.uk/docs/menopausal_symptoms_jun_2006_0.pdf

Hope it is of some help.

Kind regards

Louise
Facilitator

Hi AndieY and Jameva- Someone told me about the chillow pillow - google and you'l find it - I also treated myself to a silk pillowcase to go with it and find the two together are as good as I can get - which is pretty good!

Love and good vibes xx

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi AndieT,
I have been suffering from severe hot flushes day and night, the only way i cope with them are Fans, lots of fans, ceiling fans in sitting room and my bedroom, plus portable fans in every room and then handheld fans for when i go out. At night I have the ceiling fan on and a remote control box fan on the chest of drawers aimed at the head and upper body, its on all night on the lowest setting and when a flush comes on then out comes the remote control and turn the setting up til the flush passes.
I have tried numerous things to control the hot flushes but nothing works for me, hope this helps you get a good nights sleep

All the best

Jameva

Guest user
Not applicable

Any suggestions about night sweats

Hi
Although I was suffering mildly with night sweats before diagnosis now that I have had the 1st chemo they have become abolutely awful. Has anyone else had to deal with this and if so did you find anything that helped. My bcn doubts that it is the chemo but it seems too much of a coincidence to me. Slepp has become very elusive at the moment.

Love and hugs to everyone who is on this site

AndieT

XX