Any support appreciated as newly diagnosed

Hi

i was diagnosed with invasive breast cancer on 25/8, I signed consent for a lumpectomy within 40 minutes of being told, it all happens so fast. There’s a plan to take a biopsy on lymph nodes, dyes, reconstruction and radiotherapy. I couldn’t even start to get my head round it and have only started looking into the treatment today.

i couldn’t think of a single question at the diagnosis stage, now I have loads and don’t know where to start.

surgery is booked for 17th, I’m a planner and can cope with stuff if I have control of the plan, this is all if’s and but’s so I feel completely out of it as I have no control of what’s about to happen. I just keep thinking one day at a time but after reading through all the information and side effects, and possiblities its so overwhelming.

Any insights, advice is appreciated.

Sorry to hear of your diagnosis. I know what you mean about not remembering anything at the time! My advice would be to write down all your questions and either ring your breast care nurse to go through them or take your list yo your next appointment, that’s what I did, otherwise you constantly have things you meant to ask! Good luck! Xx

Hi Blue Rose,sorry you have had to join this club!It is all a bit if a whirlwind at first you can’t possibly take it all in, it’s like they are speaking a foreign language too!!!I was diagnosed end of May had lumpectomy and I am currently having radiotherapy.There are quite a few of us talking on another thread “Just diagnosed and wanting to talk to people who understand” if you would like to join us,lots of people in similar circumstances some of us a little further on with treatment, should be able to answer most if your questions between us.Jill.

If your appointment is with the surgeon I found that was a really good time to get a lot of my questions answered ,if it’s just a standard pre op appointment where they do ECG ,blood tests etc, then I would give breast care nurse a call.They do usually ring you a couple of times so you may get a call anyway.

Hi Blue Rose, we were told it was bc but had to wait two weeks for confirmation which was horrible in itself. Then the official diagnosis, horrible again. My wife had sign for a lumpectomy there and then too. Lumpectomy and all nodes out and now waiting for those results. Told she will require chemo because of her age, we want it done asap. Oh and visits to the fertility clinic too as we are childless at the moment. No matter what you or other people have to do to get through this, trust your docs do it, and beat this vile thing. Plus getting advice from lovely ladies at the same time of course x

Hi Blue-rose

I was diagnosed with the same on 26/8 and my surgery is also on 17/9 ! I have also only started looking into things in the last few days and came across this forum earlier. 

I am quite a practical person and tend to get on with things, I’m trying to stay positive and not make a big deal of it(I have 2 kids). I’m putting a brave face on with friends and family as when I’ve been on the other side of the fence it’s hard to know what to say…

It’s a totally new world and I thought cancer was something that happened to other people but hey it’s not…however I do know it’s a lot different than being diagnosed many years ago

I have read through quite a few of the threads and thanks to all, this looks like a great place to get support and share with people going through the same. 

I did call BCC a few days ago with a question and the lady I spoke to couldn’t have been more helpful, patient or understanding, I could have stayed on the phone all afternoon only I had to go to work so I would definitely recommend calling with any questions.

Lovely inspiring post Sarah as always. You always lift my spirits, thank you x x

Hi everyone

thanks for your responses, it’s took me a while to come back on, think I’ve been avoiding things a bit.

had a mad cleaning stint before my surgery last week, so glad I did as I didn’t realise I would feel so drained.

had my first shower alone today…go me !! And back to wearing proper clothes.

has anyone else had the Grisotti flap surgery? I’m glad they could save part of the breast but was shocked at how much had gone. Having very strange stinging sensation through the breast…very odd feeling as I know the nipple has gone. I’m back at the hospital tomorrow to have the dressing off, bit worried about how it will look, I’ve googled the surgery, not sure if that was a good idea or not ?

Get the path results next week but trying not to focus to much on it.

was not impressed with the hospital, was on a general day surgery ward and they weren’t prepared. Didn’t let anyone stay with me at all so was on my own for all of it, they even questioned why I was crying after I had come round. They also had to go hunting down a support bra to go home in as they had none on the ward, anyone else have this type of experience? Really considering complaining as felt their care wasn’t good, I’m not usually one to make a fuss but was not expecting that.

hope everyone is doing well with your own treatments

love Sue xx

Sounds a horrid experience Sue. My op was delayed but my family were allowed to wait with me until op. They had no beds in ward so I was kept up in surgery to recover so they let them come up and sit with me. No complaints, they were lovely. I only had lumpectomy so can’t advise you on what you have had. It’s all a struggle but you’re on your way to ridding yourself of bc so hold that thought. Sending love Lorna x

Thanks Lorna

how long ago was your surgery?

I know we can only take it a stage at a time, I just keep thinking of getting well enough for the next bit.

hubby has struggled but been great, I’m not sure how to help him. I’ve got lots of support from family and friends but he hasn’t had an outlet. He’s been scaring himself with research on it all but thankfully not telling me what he’s been reading. Can’t see the point in worrying about stuff that might not be relevant to me.

there are so many variants on treatment, I never realised that. 

Its helping to to read through the posts on here, thanks everyone who is sharing xx

Hi blue rose
My name is Marie and I’m 45. I got diagnosed with PBC grade 3 on 18th June. I have had the lump removed and it had not spread to any other parts. I am now waiting to go on to the next stage which is 21 weeks of chemo and then 4 weeks of radio therapy. My advice would be not too look too far ahead as you can drive yourself mad! Get the op done and then look at the next stage as if there’s one thing I’ve learned as you go through the stages you think your all prepared and then realise you weren’t really!! One step at a time! Good luck lovely lady keep us posted. Xx

Hi blue, had my op in April follies by rads and taking letrozole as it was oestrogen pos. It’s true what Marie says as in step by step. I focused on the moment and despite gremlins creeping in I tried to keep busy and stay positive…Yea! Easy peazy …not! Marie why you having chemo when it wasn’t in lymph nodes? I thought that was the only reason…Oh is it your ER result? Good luck ladies…lots of love x Lorna

Hi Lorna
I’m not sure if I have to have chemo because I’m 45 or because it was positive for both targeted therapies? My mum had it when she was my age and she’s 75 this year!! Positive and strong is definitely the way xx

Great to hear about your mum Marie. Were you ERneg? I know a woman who had it all 35 years back with a limp the size of a golf ball. Still here to tell the tale…that will be all of us!!! :wink: x

Mum had masectomy of left breast reconstruction and radiotherapy. No chemo and no tamoxifen.

I know I’m HER positive?

They have a rating and affects the percentage benefit of chemo, anything over 5 and they recommend chemotherapy

Just me trying to understand why people with same diagnosis get different treatment x

Age, grading, lymph node involvement and probably the doctors choice

I know it’s so hard to get your head around…I know I’m having chemo and herceptin and radio. Do they treat it differently in different areas? I’m in Wales.