Any tips for the agonising wait for the Oncotype results

Diagnosed 16/8/17 with ER &PR positive BC HER 2 negative. Lumpectomy and sentinel node biopsy on 28/9/17. Surgery was successful, clear margins and 42mm lump removed. Isolated cancer cells found in one of the 2 lymph nodes taken out but Lymph node negative (not sure I understand that bit).
Had my post surgery appointment on 17/10/17 and was hit with the news that I may need chemo. Up until that point I was only told rads and hormone therapy. At that point I hit rock bottom. I was told that they were going to do an Oncotype test but I’m still waiting for my results nearly a month on. I’ve been told it’s areived safely in California but the waiting is having a huge negative impact on my menta health. I also suffer from cervical spondylosis and significant disc bulges in my neck and the stress is playing havoc with my tension migraines.
I’m trying to stay busy and positive but the not knowing is just awful.
I know so may of you lovely ladies have been and are going through this mental torture, does anyone have any tips on how to stay sane?
Xx

Sorry that you find yourself here CW and have had no replies yet. I have not had oncotype text but know tbat waiting for results is absolutely the worst time!! Our minds play havoc with us, going into overdrive.

You m8ght be better goiing onto the newly diagnosed thread as you might get more answers there. Good luck with results and please let us know how you get on xx

Hello CW,

Your situation is stunningly similar to mine. I had a lumpectomy on September 28 also, and then a second one on October 12. Clean margins, etc., but that’s when I found out that the expected plan for 3.5 weeks of rads in December was potentially out the window, and that the surgeon had ordered the Oncotype. She told me that a score below 18 would mean that chemo was out of the question. In the meantime, we had a death in the family and I was going to need to organize the memorial service, which would take place October 30, around the time the Onco results would be back. I asked the surgeon and NP not to phone me with the results, good, bad, or indifferent, because I figured the information would do me no good whatsoever until I could sit down with the oncologist on November 6, and have her go over the Onco and other path results. with her. 

The anxiety was pretty overwhelming, even though I had a lot to focus on with the memorial service and other tasks. When my husband and I got into the November 6 appointment with the oncologist, it became increasingly evident, the longer she talked and explained what the treatments were for different types of cancers, that my score was going to indicate chemo. At last she revealed the score: It was 35. And so, I am looking at 4 rounds of chemo, starting November 27. I found out on Nov. 8 that I will need 7 weeks of rads, starting in late February, then a hormone drug for 5 years.

By now perhaps you have your Onco score. I send heartfelt hopes that it was under 18. At the time, the mental torture, to borrow your term, was horrible; that part is overwith, and now, for me, it’s time to face the fact that chemo is on the horizon. 

Hope you are OK . . . 

Xx

Oh hun, sending huge hugs. It looks like we’ve both been struggling through the same path at the same time. No one really can prepare you for the mental stress this horrible illness causes you can they? I spoke to my neurologist who’s wife had BC a couple of years ago, he said physically she’s well but she’s not mentally and I can fully understand where he’s coming from now.
My Oncotype score came back as 22 at the lower end of the intermediate risk so my Oncologist said that she wouldn’t recommend chemo to me as the benefit to having it was something like 3-4%. So I was whisked off to the CT scanner, had my little tattoos and due to start rads on 27/11. They’re doing one week of target rads where the lump was and then 3 weeks of whole breast. The only down side is that where they need to do it is only 2mm away from my heart. They’re going to try the breath hold tecnique, but I am slightly worried that I cough half was through holding my breath and they zap my heart by mistake. Also I’m very fair skinned and have a very ample Breast (32J) and apparently I’m prone to more skin blistering and burning. That’s my next worry…
Started taking Tamixifen in Saturday, so far only one mild hot flush last night. Drove home in a short sleeved top in the middle of winter!
Do let me know how you get on with your journey, sending you all the positive vibes in the world that it’s manageable. Anyone that goes through this are wonder women in my eyes! Xxx

Thinking of you tomorrow PinkRibbonUSA xx