cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any top tips for us rads newbies???

jackx

Re: Any top tips for us rads newbies???

Hi Fiona

Nearly through my first week of Rads, it's quite good starting with two 4 day weeks because of Easter. The journey has been going well, I'm home again within 1 and 1/2 hours of leaving. I've even managed to get away with paying £1 for 1/2 hour parking, over 1/2 hr it goes up to £2.60. I see the same team everyday which is nice. I am going to ask if I can have some dressings and anything they can give me at the end of my rads so I can take it on holiday, I am a bit worried about going but also I'm really loking forward it, we are off to Madeira.

I hope you have a good birthday, what show will you be seeing? I love all the musicals, have never been to London though to see one. It's good that all your treatment is finished for it. I'm 44 now and had a quiet 40th with my family.

I think it's a very good idea taking a friend on holiday for your daughter, you will be able to relax and enjoy yourself more if you know she's happy. My brother took friends for his children last year and he hardly saw them, so it worked!

12 hour shifts must be quite hard going, I hope you're not getting to tired. I popped into my work yesterday, I'm a classroom assistant in a reception class, it was lovely to see all the children. It makes me miss them all though when I pop in.

Hope your skin is feeeling better.

Lots of Love

Jackie xxxxx

ForumMember

Hi Jackie

God is it only a week - seems like yonks ago that I last posted you. Glad to hear your dad is doing good - I bet he appreciated you being there - altho older folk can be difficult patients?!?

IT is good to be finished rads - skin held up ok all through but its now a week since I finished and the last couple of days it has started breaking down a bit and is quite stingy and sore (I knew the effect of rads could continue to work on for up to 2 weeks after - guess my skin is proof of that). It is even stingy when I am just sitting at home with no bra on or in bed but having just worked my first 12 hour day back at work - its the longest I have had bra on so that sure aint helped. It was handy working in hospital tho - I nipped along to rads dept and spoke to one of the girls and showed her skin so she has give me a gel, some non adherent dressings to put under bra band and some a gel pad thing that can be quite soothing. She also said some other women have recommended 98% aloe vera - and altho they dont recommend it during rads its fine to use after so goin to go into town 2moz to buy some - apparently holland and barret should have it.

Hope your ok for you holiday - as they say - as long as area is covered up you should be ok - but prob wouldnt advise going in swimming pool if area is broken (if your going somewhere hot?). So its your 25th anniversary then - nice for you to be away after all this. Cant remember if I said but its my 40th next month so I am going to London with my 2 best mates for 2 nights and 3 days - see a show etc.

I will go away in summer hols but not booking anything till much later. It will be me and my daughter, and I've managed to get my daughters best friend to come away too (her parents are paying tho) - the mum thought I was mad - but its as much for myself as my daughter - if she is happy and has company her own age I will be able to relax more.

It is strange being back at work but good too - nothing too taxing so far. Never mind my brain - its my body when the alarm goes off at 6am thats wandering what the hells happening!!

Dad is doing really well - hes just kind of getting on with it which is good. Not saying hes not missing mum or anything and sure he has his bad times but on the whole he is good.

Hope the dentist went ok.

Nice to 'speak' to you again
TAke care
Love and hugs
Fiona
xxx

jackx

Hi Fiona'

I am now back from what seemed like a very long week with my Dad, never mind it was lucky that I could be there for him. He is doing really well now, fingers crossed that continues.

How are you? and how is your skin? I was thinking of you whilst I was in Devon, thinking how you must be feeling finally getting through your treatment. I have not long got back from my 1st Rads, everything went ok, I did though think I was going to move whilst they were zapping me. Getting in was a doddle, I thought it would be busy with work traffic.

I have booked a holiday to fly 7 days after I finish Rads, I hope this hasn't been a silly thing to do. We had to cancel a holiday because of my Rads so fingers crossed I will be ok. I asked the Radiographer and she thought it would be fine, as long as I cover up and take some cream in case my skin breaks. We will be away for our 25th anniversary, it will be lovely just to relax and do nothing.

I hope all is going well back at work, it will be really strange to be back working. The old brain won't know what is happening.

Hope your Dad is well, bet he loved playing on the laptop.

Got to go to the dentist now, broke a cusp off my tooth on Saturday eating a sweet, better not tell him that.:(

Love and hugs

Jackie xxxxxx

ForumMember

Hi Jackie

You are maybe already away to your dads - dont know if you have internet access or not - but so glad he is getting home.

Dad was over for tea tonight and he has never been near a computer before. I got laptop out to show him piccies of my friends wedding from last friday - told him just to press the arrow to see the next one - he was chuffed with himself!!! was quite funny.

Skin is holding up fine - bit more fiery but hopefully will be ok - altho I believe the redness can come out more for a couple of weeks after it finishes.

I have appointment at OHS tomorrow so will start back at rehab next week at work - oh my god!!!! Need to sharpen up my brain a bit - I will be double and triple checking everything!!!

Take care and speak soon
Lots of love
Fiona
xxx

jackx

Hi Fiona

You are nearly there, I do hope your skin is holding up.

I got the call today, Dad is being allowed home today so I'm off to Devon in a while for a few days, he is so excited at being let out. It will be strange for me helping him but it will help next week pass quickly before the start of my Rads.

Hope all is well in Scotland.

Love Jackie xxxx

jackx

Hi Fiona

Glad you had a fab time at the wedding, it must have been fun with your daughter. It probably did you good to put everything that has been happening to the back of your mind and have some quality fun with Suzie and your friends.

I still have two weeks to wait before my Rads start that will be 10 weeks after my surgery, I was hoping it would be coming to an end by now. We had to cancel a holiday to Cyprus as it clashed with the end of my Rads. We booked a special holiday for our 25th anniv in April before I discovered the bc. Never mind we will book something else when it's all over.

Dad is settled back in Barnstaple now and happy to be there, I spoke to him on the phone earlier and he thinks he will be there till Fri, I am on standby to go down and help out.

We didn't get any snow, we have had lovely sunny days, a bit chilly though!!

Sending you a big hug

Love Jackie xxxxxx

ForumMember

Hi Jackie

Really really happy your dad is better and nearly home - must be such a relief for you.

Had a great day at the wedding - it was just fab. Had was not too sore on Sat but was very very tired - was awake till about 3am with my daughter gigglin and stealing my pillow - then she woke up before 9!!! Didnt get up till after 10 on Sunday which was great.

Yep - last week of rads - quite hyper knowing this - its a good feeling.

No snow here - its beautiful blue skies but really cold - so its maybe not far away.

When do your rads start?

Take care for now
Loads of love and hugs etc
Fiona
xxx

jackx

Hi Fiona

I hope you had a fab time at the wedding even with the wind blowing, it must of been good watching everyone struggling with their hairdo's!! Bet you had a quiet Saturday nursing a sore head!

Dad is doing really well now, not talking twaddle any more. He had me in stitches with what he was saying. Today he is being moved back to Barnstaple hosp, and possibly home tomorrow. I will go down for a few days to care for him, it will be good to do my bit and not leave it all to my brother. Good job I've got a couple of weeks before Rads.

Have you got snow today? we might get some later on but I doubt it.

Into your last week you lucky thing, hope all is still well.

Love and hugs

Jackie xxxxx

ForumMember

Hi Jackie

Its rain and wind!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
At least I dont have to worry about my hair tho!!!
Will have a wee dram for you

Speak tomorrow
Fiona
xx

cally2108

HI had my first planning session today and got my 3 tattoos yeh , first tattoo of my life !
they told me about the aqueous cream too , but good tip about the hairdryer horace.

a;;y x

jackx

Hi Fiona

Only 7 left you lucky thing, I hope your skin is still holding up. I've just had a soak in the bath and washed away the pen markings from my planning today. I wish I was at your stage, I'm not looking forward to driving in everyday in the morning rush hour, they shouldn't be behind at 8.30 though!

I hope you have a lovely time at your friends wedding and the sun shines, you will enjoy getting dressed up . I am going to a wedding in May and am looking forward to going shopping for something new to wear.

Have a fun day, not too many wee drams though!

Love

Jackie xxxx

ForumMember

Hi Jackie

Good to hear your dad is improving but sorry he is confused - it will be confusing for him being so far away from home with people he does not know - and as you say its a distance for anyone to travel.
My rads was cancelled on Monday as the machine was broken so I will have one added on at the end - so thats me with 7 left. I am going tomorrow morning instead of afternoon as I have my best friends wedding (not the film) - at 3 - it will be so good to get dressed up for a change.

Take care - I have been wandering how you are your dad were.

Love
Fiona
xx

horace

I think I've said this already somewhere but the best tip I was given when my skin broke with rads was when my GP said to blow a cool hairdryer on it for a few minutes several times a day it really helps it to heal quickly and is so soothing.I also used melolin dressings between skin and band of bra.I found the intrasite gel dressings horrible to use.

jackx

Hi all

I have just got back from my planning appt, it took about 45mins, got quite a few markings to wash off in the shower later. The tattoo is just like a pinprick, I had two one either side of my breast, they said it is like a freckle. Once again all the members staff I met today were lovely, I'm now raring to go on 17th March. They said it was good to be creaming up twice a day so will continue.

Fiona - I hope all is well for you and the week is passing quickly. Dad's recovering from his op but is very confused, my brother is going today to see if he can be transferred back to Barnstaple I think he feels we have abandoned him, he needs to be where people can visit more easily.

Love to all

Jackie xxx

cally2108

Hi all
just joing this thread after having my last tax today .
I'm having my first planning appt tomorrow at the north middlesex london and second one April 3rd. Will have 30 rads is this standard . I had one lymph node involved and an 18mm tumour.
It'll be interesting to see what they say re creams and is it really a tattoo ? Also I've never had a scan and have been told conflicting things about having one . Onc says I wont have a scan but chemo nurse say I will so we'll see tomorrow.
Cally xx

custard

Hi Pauline,

I am very fair, freckly, dry skinned and so pale I'm almost blue!!! (my mum is a scot, true readhead and I have inherited her skin colouring but not the fab colour) I have used this thread a lot for advice and am 5 rads down with 14 to go. I started using the aqueous creamon the breast and armpit area for 2 week before rads after reading it in here and so far so good. I have gone a bit pink and prickly today but slapped a load of cream on staight after and a couple of timessince and so far so good.

Good Luck Shonagh xx

ForumMember

Hi Everyone

I'm due to have rads after a mastectomy on 13th March, how soon after surgery did everyone have rads?

Also I'm a redhead (well usually!) with white skin and I'm interested to hear of anyone else with the same colouring - how did you get on?

love

Pauline

mousy

Unfortunately I have weeping skin already over here, about a 2-3 inch split and still 4 zaps to go. Hate to think what it's going to look like a week or two after I finish.

No matter what happens we will get through this though. A couple of weeks of inconvenience and soreness is nothing really.

At our hospital they handed out the cream at the planning appointment and a few days ago they asked me if I wanted another one (which I did as almost finished the first).

mousy

corsa

Hi Have another four months of chemo before starting on rads, but often glance through different areas on the site. Two friends of mine took EVE Primrose oil (orally) before during and after rads , and had no probs with burning etc So I have been taking 1000mg a day , as anyone tried or tested or heard of this working before????
Bobbie

milli

Hi All,

I'm into my second week of rads and am finding it really tiring and over the weekend and today have felt really lightheaded and giddy. I've been very thirsty and have increased my fluids. I mentioned these symptoms to the staff today but they say its not related to the treatment.
Has anyone else had this sort of problem?
Milli
ps The Hospital never offered aqueous cream - got mind from ASDA, big tub £1.99.

ForumMember

Jackie

I am so glad that your dad is improving - that is just brilliant news.

Suzie is still absolutely fine - which is good - away to her dads now.

You take care and good luck for your tattooing - I only have 2 tiny dots and a litle pen mark each time I am there. Luckily I dont get a gown either - its just strip off top half and lie down!!

Lots of love to you and your dad
Fiona
xx

jackx

Hi Everyone,

Just got back from seing Dad and I'm pleased to say that he had made good progress. His speech is a lot better and they had removed the feeding tube,he was allowed sips of waster and was looking forward to a cup of tea. I am feeling so much happier tonight.

Anneli - I am pleased to see that the RUH don't provide a gown I will be much happier whipping off my own top. I made the mistake in buying my cream in Boots nearly twice the price of Sainsburys. When do you start your Rads? let me know what time you'll be there, we could meet. Got my tatooing on Thurs at 12.15, fingers crossed I won't have to wait as long as I had to to see the Onc.

I agree it all seems confusing different regions different advice, I don't see that the cream can do any harm though.

If I were you Lynnietom I would make sure you have a nice pair of trousers to go with your new gown:) but whilst you're waiting for the 17th I would hide it in the corner of my wardrobe, perhaps a quick iron for the big day.

Fiona - Hope Suzie has had a good weekend and you manage to fill your week. Fingers crossed for a sunny week.

Thanks for the advice Jenty

Love and huggs to all

Jackie xxxxxx

lynnietom

Hi magz175 - believe me, you are not missing anything in not having your own gown!!!!
I'm in a dilemma - where do I put it till I start rads on 17 March? Does it go with my casual gear? Or I should I hang it up so I don't look like a wreck of the Hesperus (sp?) on a daily basis? Or do I stuff it well out of sight and enjoy 3 weeks of 'nothingness' (apart from exercises, seroma and chording!!)?

Seriously though - it is interesting how treatment varies from region to region, isn't it? I haven't been given any cream. I think I get aqueous cream day 1. What do you do, go with what your region says or ...?

Take care

x

ForumMember

Just a gentle warning that the worst burning can come in the week after you finish the rads which is a bit of a nasty shock - had weeping skin at that point. it clears up pretty quickly but was unexpected. The whole thing is a walk in the park after chemo, unless you have a long journey.

magz175

Hi all

Hope you don't mind me butting in on your thread again - I just can't get over how different the procedure seems to be all over the place. I'm being treated in Edinburgh (my own health board is Dumfries & Galloway but they dont do radiotherapy) - and was told not to use any cream at all on the area. When I asked if they would be giving me something they just said they would monitor my skin reaction and give me cream as and when/if required, and it would be provided by the hospital pharmacy.

I have 8 tattoo marks (though I'm still drawn on every day) - have never been given a gown or anything - just turn in in my jeans and tshirt - whip the tshirt off - have the treatment and whip it back on again lol

i wish they'd all do the same thing - I was whacking the aqueaous cream on before I went (having read this thread) - don't know now if it was worth it or not?

Margaret x

Anneli

Hi Jackx,
I went for my planning session at RUH Bath last week - got two nice little tattoo dots but no gown and certainly no aqueous cream. I did get a badly copied info sheet on how to use aqueous cream - the last sentence reads:" - can be bought at a small cost from any pharmacy"........ service on the NHS is obviously variable. Anyway, I picked up a 500 gr tub of aqueous cream in Sainsburys at £ 1.99. Let me know how you get on.

Hope your dad continues to improve.

Hugs
Anneli

lynnietom

Hi sparkler
Just got back from the theatre - Matthew Bourne's production of The Nutcracker. Very good. Felt very vulnerable though with all those people about (3 weeks from WLE). I've never felt so protective of my left boob!

Hope you're all having a good weekend and those around you are dishing out some TLC.
x

ForumMember

Linnietom - thanks for the good wishes

Jackie - glad your dad is improving

Suzie got home this afternoon and is doing absolutely fine now - thank goodness. We aree going to have a quiet weekend now - and she will go to her dads some time on Sunday and is with him all the following week as he is on hols from his work so will have to fill my time next week.

Love and hugs to both of you. Hope you both have as nice a weekend as you can

Fiona
xx

jackx

Hi Fiona

What a time you've been having lately, and how worried must you have been about your daughter. It's horrid when your child is in pain and there is nothing you can do to help. I do hope she is home now with you. You are lucky living close to the hospital with all the visits we have to make.

My Dad is making slow progress, he is off most of his drugs and his speech is a little clearer. He is still nil by mouth as his throat muscles are weak and his food and drink might go down the wrong way. He is jaundiced so they are trying to find out why. I am going down again on Sunday and can't wait to see him.

We went to a small village called St Fillans near Crieff, Perthshire for most of our holidays, but I also went to Ullapool and Pitlochry. My mum used to love finding all the little white roads on the map, she said these were the most scenic! It would take us about 12 hrs to travel up, Dad would drive up over night so we could sleep. We went up for 5 yrs on the trott in the 70's when I was at secondary school.

I do hope your Dad is doing ok, it took my Dad a while to sort himself after my Mum died, he had lots of support from friends in his village. They had had lots of plans for their retirement, Mum was 63 and Dad just 65 when she died so their plans didn't come off. That was 5 yrs ago May a day I will never forget.

I have 2 children Hannah 23 who now lives with her partner and 2 little boys and Richard 21 who likes his home comforts. My one and only claim to fame is I delivered my first grandchild on the backseat of my car!!

Good on you for going commando, I am lucky I don't need chemo but I would have got through it if need be. My mum went commando, her hair came back really curly and less grey.

I do hope you have a good weekend with your daughter, and she continues to get better.

Why is it life always throws everything at you at once!!

Love to you aand your familly

Jackie xxxxxx

Lynnietom - thanks for the tip about the bag, I go for tattooing on Thurs at Bath. Thanks for support for Dad

lynnietom

Hi all

I've been tattoed ready for radiotherapy to start on March 17 - same as you jackx? I've only been given that date and time and no cream to slap on either! They said I'll be given a pot of aqueous cream that day and if I have any skin problems they'll give me specific creams for that when needed.
It was all fine except one of the tattoos made me wince a bit. I think that was because of where it was and my boob is very tender.

As this is a 'tips for newbies' thread - If I'd known I was going to be given a lovely blue, standard NHS issue, very fetching gown to keep for the duration I would have taken a bag with me to carry it home in. Nothing like broadcasting to Nottingham 'I am having treatment for breast cancer' when I walk out of the hospital grounds!! I shall find myself a cheery bag to take on my daily trip to carry my gown and put my clothes in when I change.

Anyone else having radiotherapy at the City?

jackx - hope your Dad continues to improve.
sparkler - hope your daughter is doing fine now.

Take care all
x

ForumMember

Hi Jackie

I am glad messages are helping you - but just saying what I feel and have been through a lot so can understand a lot of how you feel.

Really glad your dad seems to be on the mend - and they would not have moved him to HDU if he was not ready. He would still be very dopey from all the drugs so dont worry about him not seeming to be able to see you. As you said - it is quite draining being in an environment like ITU/HDU - theres only so much chitter chatter you can do eh??

Have had another wee problem of my own. My daughter was admitted to hospital last night (she is 14) - without going into too much detail she needed to go to theatre today - kind of a rare gynaecological problem but one which is fixed now. She was in so much pain last night for hours I could do nothing to help her bar be there. I had no sleep last night as I stayed with her but I have come home tonnight. Nothing should happen to her tonight and she should get home tomorrow so hopefully I will get a goodish sleep tonight and go back first thing in the morning - I am only 10 mins from hospital if I am needed. With everything else that has happened the last 2 years this problem was quite minor - but unexpected and stressful all the same. Going for my rads as usualy tomorrow afternoon and will take her home after that for a quiet weekend.

Where abouts in Scotland have you been then? - North Devon - how long did that take??

Please let me know how you and your dad is getting on - I do feel for you - sounds like he is progressing well tho - and he will know you have been there for him

My dad was admitted a few months ago with a second heart scare, and mum was in another hospital and I was torn - but without sounding cruel - mum forgot so quickly when we visited that it was more important to make sure he was ok and I sent some other relatives to see mum.

This cancer, parents, kids etc are just a fekin nightmare!!!!! At the mo - my hair is very very short - but I am going commando - but why it is not white instead of dark brown I will never know - just hope it does not fall out again with all the stress.

You take care
Lots of love and keep smiling (even tho it is just painted on)
Fiona
xxx

jackx

Hi Fiona,

Thank you for your lovely messages, they are really helping me.

Todays visit went well, not long been back. Dad was off the ventilator, but still quite sedated, he knew I was there talking to him and he tried to talk back, but i couldn't understand him.His eyes were open but I don't think he could see me. He had been moved to the high dependency unit which is good, the nurses are calling him their star patient as he has made such good progress. I feel much better for seeing him.

I can understand why you read to your daughter, I wish I had taken something to read to him. I found it quite drainig being with him.

Hope all is well with you in Scotland, I always spent my holidays in Scotland as a child, my parents loved it up there. , it was a long drive from North Devon though!

Lots of love

Jackie xxxx

ForumMember

Hi Jackie

Sorry I havent posted till today. I am so glad the news is better. Maybe your dad is off the ventilator by now? I am sure if they have been cutting back on all the drugs in preparation for taking him off the vent he will know you are there - but just keep talking to him anyway. My daughter was ventilated 2 years ago and I read a whole book to her - she has absolutely no recollection of this but it made me feel better.

Let me know how todays visit went if you can

Take care
Loads of hugs
Fiona
xx

jackx

Hi Fiona

Better news today, the nurses have been gradually cutting down on the amount of support Dad has been having and he's coping. They are hoping to remove the ventilator today, he has opened his eyes and squeezed the nurses hand when she has spoken to him. My friend is driving down with me tomorrow for a visit, I hope he will know I'm there and maybe able to talk. I am feeling so much more happier today.

I hope you are well. The sun has come out and life is feeling ok again.

Take care

Jackie xxxxx

ForumMember

Thank you jackie

You take care
Fiona
xxx

jackx

Hi Fiona

Thanks for your message. I am so sorry to hear about your Mum, I know how hard it must be for you. I was lucky having my brother he was great when we lost Mum, and he is being great again now. I only wish I lived closer to them.

Why is it everything happens together.

I will keep in touch

Love Jackie xxxx

ForumMember

Hi Jackie

Really glad you have a date for your rads - it will come round in no time at all

Really sorry to hear about your dad - I will keep everything crossed for you and of course your dad. Having just lost my mum just over 2 weeks ago I know what you are going through. My dad has also had a couple of heart scares the past year so my heart goes out to you. I am glad you have the support of your brother - I did not have that.

Not really got anything warm for the wedding but hey ho - its a nice dress and just a wee shruggy/cardigan thing - but can chuck a big coat over the top just for getting from place to place.

Let us know how your dad is when you have time

Lots of love
Fiona
xx

jackx

Hi everyone

At last I have my Rads start date 17th March, still quite a way off but at least I know. Was hoping for about 10am appts but no, they are all 8.30ish so bang goes my lie in.

Into my 3rd week of Tamoxifen and touch wood things are still going ok.

I have had a terrible weekend, my Dad is in Derriford Hospital following a by-pass op which went well but his heart is very weak. He is in a critical but stable condition at the moment, we had to dash to Plymouth on Fri night because it was touch and go. I know he will be fighting hard, I just hope he has the strength. I lost my Mum to BC 5 yrs ago, so things are hard for me and my brother. THank goodness the sun is shining, it is helping me to be positive.

I hope you are all well, I hope you have something warm to wear to the wedding Flona, still I bet those wee drams will go down well and do a good job in warming you. 🙂

Take care everyone

Jackie xxxx

ForumMember

Hi Jackie

Thanks - hope the sun does shine cos I live up in north east scotland and the wedding is inland - and if it snows there is really snows so fingers crossed - still a few 'drams' and we willnae feel the cold - lol

Good luck to you to

FIona
xx

custard

Hi all,

I have been following this thread for a while and would just like to say thank you to all you ladies for your wonderful advice. I have now been rubbing the aqueous cream on twice daily in preparation for my rads. Got my planning on the 19th, not sure when I will start. I am having similar to jackx 15 on the whole breast and 4 on the lump position.

Thanks also to mrsblue for the excellent web site address. I think there should be a link from this web site to it. Love and Luck to all Shonagh xx

jackx

Hi

Just had a look at web site it was worth a look.

Flona - I have been slapping on the cream for two weeks now preparing for my rads, I hope it helps. I found out on Mon that I would be having 20, 15 on the whole breast and 5 concentrating on the position where the lump was.

I'm glad your treatment is going well, fingers crossed it carries on ok. Lucky you off to a wedding, lets hope the sun shines for you.

Jackie xx

abismum

Hi,
I have just started too, have had 5 out of 25. Using aqueous cream as everyone seems to suggest and so far so good!
I am only having the chest wall done as a precaution as the tumour was so close. I didn't think I would be having any other treatment, the surgeon said the mx would be enough, then I got offered chemo or rads. I refused chemo, (4% seemed too small an increase to suffer for) but decided to have the rads even though I have had an LD recon. (no implant). Has anyone else had rads on their reconstruction? My surgeon says it should be OK as it is all my own tissue, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I don't get cooked.
Good luck to eveyone

ForumMember

Hey there

I'm a newbie too - just had my 5th session out of 20 and so far so good - no redness or nothing - just keep rubbing on the cream. I am only having it to chest wall so spose thats better. Hope my skin does not flare up as I have my best mates wedding 2 weeks today.

Good luck to you all
FIona
xxx

jackx

Thanks for that MrsBlue, I will have a look in a bit.

I have my planning meeting on the 28th and hopefully my 20 sessions of Rads will start soon after.

Jackie x

magz175

Thanks MrsBlue - that is so good !

mrsblue

www.goingfora.com (Royal College of Radiologists) "has virtual radiotherapy and chemotherapy [and also nuclear medicine, i.e. bone tracer scan] departments with pictures of what patients will see as they attend for treatment. Also has accounts of patients' own experiences." There's a link that plays 2 minutes of radiotherapy equipment sound effects.
[added later] Sorry, I'm not sure how to make this into a link. I clicked on "link" underlined and I got a warning about "using a scripted window".
I found "goingfora" in the Cancerbackup BC booklet. There's also
www.dipex.org
database of individual patient experiences.

magz175

Hi all

Thanks for all the great tips - I go for my planning appt next week (19th) and treatment starts on the 21st - 20 sessions in all. I have to have rads to the chest area and collarbone as large lymph node involvement - I hadn't thought about high neck t-shirts either!!

Although I am hoping the rads will be a 'breeze' after chemo - I'm not particularly looking forward to it cos my health board don't administer radiotherapy, so I have to move away from home to live in a hostel in Edinburgh Mon-Fri to have it - the one time you want to be near/with your family - my 9 year old is already moaning she doesn't want me to go away.
Guess I'll just have to treat it as a wee holiday - no cooking, ironing, washing etc - hubby has been forewarned that if I come home ot housework on the weekends he's in big trouble !!

Margaret x

Tracy1961

Hi Justme,

Thanks for you advice, I have always been a bit of a drama queen, hence the 'wiping layers of skin off!'

I shall go and get a huge tub of aquaceous cream this weekend and start putting it on, I am hoping my rad start within the next couple of weeks I'm having 25 in all.

Thanks again,

Tracy xxx

lynnietom

Isn't this a brill site!
I'm down for 25 sessions but don't have a start date yet and was wondering how I could best prepare myself as I reacted badly to the core biopsy.
Thanks to you all for sharing your tips.
Lynne x

justme

Hi Tracy,

I was told to apply the cream each day before the rads, but to do it at least two hours before treatment. I used to do mine morning and evening. As I said above, I have had no reaction at all to my skin, although I know others have. I don't think for a minute you will be wiping layers of skin off!!

Good luck at your planning....and for your treatment (I found it was a doddle after chemo)!

xxx