72K members
1.2M posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anybody else having minimal side effects ???

30 REPLIES 30
Suzie68

Re: Anybody else having minimal side effects ???

Glad you feel ok (ish). For me the constipation had been one of the worst side effects and have not been able to go to the toilet for a week after each chemo. There is a recipe on here for a 'go cake' just put it in the search bar it should come up, it didn't work for me but may well for you. Speak to your Bc nurse or team they will be able to give you something that will help. I'm on fec and have the last one on the 16th and thdn start radiotherapy in August . The fatigue can get worse as you go on but I'm still managing to do most things. Stay strong you can get through this just listen to your body and rest when you need to sxx
WP23

Hi Suzie68

Hope your treatment was ok yesterday. You are a star working full time, partying and walking 20 miles!!!!

I haven't felt too bad to be honest, tired and feel awful after steroid injections, oh and constipation!!! need to sort that out for next time.
I seem to be on different regime to most, 4 x TC.

Are you finished once you have had your 6 FEC? light at the end of the tunnel if you are eh?

Take care

Wendy xx
Suzie68

Hi Wendy how dud you get on ? Sxx
WP23

Thanks coffe girl and hbunny,

had a very busy day with family, and just had lovely walk on beach with hubby, it is a beautiful evening here.

Not sure about steroids making you lively , i have felt wrecked all day!!!! trust me to be the odd one out 🙂

Trying to stay calm and positive re chemo tomorrow, we cant change it so may aswell just face the b***** head on 🙂

Hope to be able to comment tomorrow evening on July thread.

Fingers crossed for you hbunny in getting dates.

Lots of hugs

Wendy xx

hbunny

Hi Wendy. First of all good luck for tomorrow.  Hopefully will find out on Wednesday when I have my chemo assessment. Will let you know when my first date is.  Sending love, hbunny xx

coffeegirl

Hi WP23, hope things go ok for tomorrow, will be thinking of you x
WP23

Thanks hbunny

first steroids taken in preparation!!! this is going to be a long day.

First chemo at 2pm tomorrow

How are you getting on? will you find out this week when you start your chemo?

Wendy xx
hbunny

Hi donna, thanks for the link, interesting reading about the the chlorine, I thought it evaporated from water if left for a couple of hours, or filtered out when using filters - more research needed I think!  Hbunny

hbunny

Hi wp23, just wanted to say good luck for Monday, will be thinking about you.  Take care. Hbunny

Donnaandfamily

Hi hbunny

I had heard about crystalised sulphur previously ....but read the page below......just cautionary .....it does appear to be good but I was not aware of chlorine etc...... Donna x

http://www.cancertutor.com/organic_sulfur/

WP23

Thanks for your positive words suzie68,

I think the apprehension of what is to come is the scarey part.

We are just going to take one day at a time, and hopefully get some weekend breaks when possible.

Good luck with your treatment on Wednesday

Wendy x

Suzie68

Hi ladies very glad you found this useful, it really hasn't been as bad for me as I expected. I have my 5/6 FECS on Wednesday and have managed to work full time all the way through (my choice) I've been to parties, bbq's and a spa break and did a 20 mile walk 3 days after my 3rd chemo with no problems at all, you know your own bodies just done what feels right for you and if you feel tired or unwell then take it easy. It's not a walk in the park by any stretch of the imagination but it is doable and the time flies by. Everyone reacts differently and you cant predict what will happen but I do believe a positive attitude can go a long way. Wishing you all the best with your treatments sxx
hbunny

Hi coffeehouse.  I've got the same treatment plan as yourself. Have my chemo assessment on 2nd july, so will probably be starting the following week.  Will always be around to chat as well. Already getting started on the july thread and swapping stories.  

It amazing how accepting children are of situations like this, I'm sure she will be fine, but kids clubs would be a great way to occupy her whilst giving you some guilt free time when needed.  Hopefully you will have minimal side effects and everything will run smoothly.

Sending love. Hbunny

hbunny

Hi Wendy.  It took some finding. The only site in this country appears to be aggressive health, who I use a lot but they are out of stock and quite expensive.  I've ordered direct from America from e-bay.com/itm/organic-sulfur-msn-flakes-1lb-purest-quality-product-made-in-USA-free-ship-/161299468003.  Only ordered yesterday but already on their way - just hoping I can use them! Good luck bunny xx

WP23

Hi coffeegirl

We will be able to compare notes!!

Sorry to hear that you are going to have the added pressures of looking after your little girl, bless her, are there any summer clubs she could maybe attend? do you have support of family or friends.

I am on a slightly different chemo regime to yours but will definitely be around to chat, mine starts next Monday, go for bloods tomorrow and start steroids Sunday. I have not been offered a PICC line they say my veins are good enough!! hopefully they will hold up.

I also haveto have the radiotherapy and then herceptin injecctions for a year as i am HER2 +

Takecare

Wendy xx

coffeegirl

Hi everyone, I am so pleased to read all your posts. I will be having my PICC line fitted tomorrow 24/6/14, then chemo starts on 1/7/14. I am extremely anxious about my treatment as I've to get 3 Fec and 3 Tax then radiotherapy. It's so reassuring to know that I could have minimal side effects.
I raise my 8 year old by myself and as we are heading into the school holidays I am really uptight how I will be able to cope with side effects and being there for my daughter.
I will post regularly and keep you updated on how things are going. Hopefully I can say that I am one of the lucky ones that has managed to get through this without too much horrid side effects.
WP23

Hi hbunny

I have googled the crystalline sulphur, sounds good to me, worth a try at least. Do you know where we would get this form of the stuff??
Ill ask breast nurse about it when I see her on Friday, I start chemo next Monday so if I can have it I will need to find it quick :):)
hbunny

@pen wrote:

HI

Im on day 10 after first FEC and apart from feeling tired and a little naseous for a few days, am now feeling quite normal.  I was worrying in case the damn stuff wasnt working but obviously for some lucky people the side effects can be minimal.  I know its early days but the staff at the hospital said I probably wouldnt feel much worse.  Im keeping my fingers crossed.

Ta ra for now

Oh how refreshing, thank you ladies, I will be starting chemo in a couple of weeks and was beginning to think I was the only one having to work throughout (no company sick pay) and starting to worry I wouldn't be able to do it.

Apart from diabetes, im not normally a sicky  person and have quite a high pain tolerance so hoping this will be beneficial. Have 3 FEC. and 3 tax to get through, but am sure I can cope with whatever is in store.  Sometimes I think it's harder for those around you having to watch.  Have also been told I will need the injections to raise blood count, but not bothered about that obviously needles are a part of my life and great if it means no nasty infections.  

Are there any supplements anyone can recommend, if allowed of course.  I'm hoping to be able to take crystalline sulphur, have a Google ladies, just not sure if it's too good to be true!

Take care all. Keep plodding onwards.  Hbunny xx

pen

HI

Im on day 10 after first FEC and apart from feeling tired and a little naseous for a few days, am now feeling quite normal.  I was worrying in case the damn stuff wasnt working but obviously for some lucky people the side effects can be minimal.  I know its early days but the staff at the hospital said I probably wouldnt feel much worse.  Im keeping my fingers crossed.

Ta ra for now

Wildpurl

I have just had my first Tax after three FEC, while I didn't like the tiredness, bad taste and feeling sicky and burpy on FEC, I got through it each time in about 7 days and then had two fairly normal weeks. My oncologist said he felt FEC had "treated me kindly"! I did not work week 1, worked at home week 2 and in the office week three. I am hoping to be able to continue the same pattern during Tax, as I too feel that working takes my mind off the treatment and helps me focus on other things.

I am feeling OK now on day 2 after Tax, a bit tired but nothing like FEC, and expecting SEs from Sunday night/Monday. Hoping they will not be too bad!
Suzie68

Busyanne I agree that working helps me focus on something other than BC, I would drive myself potty if I stayed at home all day I understand that there are many people who are unable to work because of the setting or side effects and I feel extremely grateful to be able to have kept life as normal as possible. I've also found it useful to try and focus on 1 part of my treatment at a time rather than looking at the whole thing, I've got 2 more fec sessions and should finish that mid July then 3 weeks of radiotherapy and 5 years of tamoxifen, and am just taking each stage at a time. Wishing you all much love and strength sxxx
Suzie68

Glad I'm not the only one was being to think I was a freak lol. While I wouldn't say it's been a walk in the park it is definitely doable. While I do feel really quite nauseous for a couple of days after ( had fec 4 on weds) I spend the next 2 days going for walks and gardening to get out in the fresh air which really helps, I think if I stayed in bed in my pjs I would feel worse.
budcat

Hi ladies
I had my 1st tax chemo with herceptin. It went well and I had no problems apart from a cold
Which seemed to worsen the side effect . Worst hangover ever. Cold now gone but left cold sore . Had 2nd tax today and so far really good just bad taste in mouth. Will see what the next few days bring. Hopefully nothing to bad to come ad I would like to go back to work
All my fingers are crossed . Wish everybody well and great idea for this thread
budcat

Lovewine

What a great idea for positive posts- I agree with other ladies in saying it's not the nicest experience to have, but I think the fear of it and what you expect it to be like is so much worse, I have also been lucky so far with having manageable side effects, my nausea was brought under control very quickly on first round and helped for the others and in between I manage to work and walk my dogs a couple of miles a day too!!
The hair loss is upsetting at first, but it's amazing what you get used too, I wear a realistic wig and a beanie around house and now I hardly notice , and of course it will grow back, you have to keep thinking of that!
rolicarpit

Hi all,

Thanks for starting this Suzie, none of it is completely plain sailing but those glimpses of normality are important to share and having a place to locate those positive experiences easily will be great.

For me it's being able to share and read about others experiences of milder side effects or even how we are positively managing those niggling annoying side effects that on their own would be fine but together have the power to make you feel rotten (I can cope with blisters in my mouth but do I want them with oral thrush, impetigo and cold sores at the same time .... No ... But I can manage it now with a range of potions and lotions, I know when it's happening and it doesn't last long )

I'm just sitting here waiting for chemo 5 to begin, so nearly there. I started my chemo mid March and think (so far) that I've tolerated the regime quite well. I have found Tax easier than FEC, easier on the veins, no sickness, no fuzziness, but nasty mouth and sore fingertips. I have managed to work from home throughout my treatments when I can, I work in a school so have not been in much ... Too many germy children. Managed to get through an ofsted inspection though (this was on a steroid day which I have to say helped immensely lol, chemo the next day was a breeze in comparison to ofsted !)

When I start to feel normal again, usually after a week or so I pack in as much as I can, catch up with friends etc and generally try to get my life back for a while before the next one. I find those normal experiences really important and distracting from anything breast cancer, no matter how small they are.

I think I have been pretty lucky, it's no joy ride and I would rather not be here but I am, I have my low bits but search for the silver linings all the time .... I'm glad I lost my hair as I can't imagine having the hot flushes I have with hair, it would be constantly dripping and so not an attractive look lol ! I've actually found it quite liberating being bald....

There ... That's my positives at the moment

Looking forward to hearing from others

Lisa
Jj1981

I had symptoms of Labyrinthitis which i was about to go to gp for diagnosis but lump showed first. This is where u feel dizzy and floor moves. Chemo stopped these symptoms so thats one good thing to come out of this
busyanne

Suzie68, I agree with you.  It is very important that we have some positive news to focus on.  For me the journey as the medics call it has not been too bad.  In fact I still wonder how fast the time has passed since I started my treatment - Feb 13.  I worked through the last chemo and all of radiation and herceptin.  I think it is true to say that some days I feel quite tired however I felt going back to work stopped me from focusing all my thoughts on breast cancer.  I still read too much from Dr google which is bad and I need to stop it.  I have four more treatments to do then only need to attend hospital three months, then six, etc.  Regards

Jbf57

Good morning Suzie68

How brilliant to read your post! I start chemo next Wednesday (picc line goes in tomorrow) and am so grateful to read your positive feedback on your experience of chemo.  There is so much on the site about the negative side of chemo so well done you, for pointing out that not everyone has a bad experience (apart from hair loss, bowel issues ..!) I've just returned from a weeks holiday in Kefalonia and unfortunately spent Tuesday night hardly sleeping because of stressing about what might happen instead of thinking about holiday memories ... Yesterday I spent the day with my darling daughter ( her 26th birthday) and had a great time, and was not worrying about what could go wrong because it was her day and there was no way I would put a downer on it! I can't deny I'm not concerned about certain things (hair loss isn't one of them, possibly down to my age - 57 in a couple of months) but who knows what might happen - I'm staying positive and know that the treatment will be helping my road to recovery. Thanks again, hope you have a good day

Janex

Suzie68

Oh and baldness, I forgot I've got that too !
Suzie68

Anybody else having minimal side effects ???

Hey ladies although I find the threads useful I find they can sometimes be scary reading. I personally have had a positive experience of chemo, ok may be positive is a bit too strong if a word but I have experienced minimal side effects (nausea and constipation) have remained active and still working full time. While I wouldn't have chosen this journey it really hasn't been that bad and would liken the way I feel after chemo to a stonking hangover (I've had some shockers in my time !). This site is invaluable but we do all have a different experience and I feel it is really important to those starting out to have some positive experience to draw upon as I now most people look to the monthly threads before treatment to get an idea of what to expect. I think it would be really great for there to be a 'positive' thread for them and everyone else to view . Anybody with me on this ? Sxx