70472members
370690posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anybody shaved their new post-chemo hair?

6 REPLIES 6
geewhiz

Re: Anybody shaved their new post-chemo hair?

Thanks to everyone for their input. My newly shaved head is now definitely bristly, and the good news is that it feels equally stubbly all over, so will hopefully grow in much less patchy than when it first came back. If anyone else is debating what what to do, would recommend shaving as I did (although it's only 4 days, so haven't got much experience to talk from!). Only problem so far is that the bristles are catching on my hats!!

Julie
x

Cat

I saw my wig lady this Monday - she said to pop back and see her when my hair grows out to about 1.5cm so she can 'trim' it to an even length. She said it grows back weak and baby-like initially and a little tidy up will promote growth and strength. Hope this helps.

geewhiz

Back to being a baldy!

Shaved my head yesterday - felt strange doing it a second time (I shaved it first of all when most of my formerly long (bottle) blond hair had fallen away thanks to the chemo). Feel much better, and just hope that the regrowth will feel a bit thicker and be less patchy. Less grey would be nice too, but guess that is in my dreams, but my BCN said its ok to dye it right from the start....

Julie
x

eal69eal

Hi geewhiz
My head was like a fluffy egg when my hair grew back! and it was really patchy. I kept shaving the fluffy bits off with a grade 1 blade but at the time my hair was hardly long enough to be caught by it but it did keep the fluffy bits in check and after about 2 or 3 shaves it came back thicker and even. My hair is really thin and fine though so it didn't suprise me that it took 5 months from finishing chemo before I stopped covering my head with wig/scarves.
Hope that helps
Good luck xx

cherub

Mines started coming back stubbly when I was on rads 2 years ago. It really used to irritate me so my OH used to use my ladyshaver on it. I was completely bald again a few weeks later due to Taxotere. I had to let it grow for about 4 months before I could get it trimmed and have been having it done regularly since Jan of last year.

Fletchjet

HI Geewhiz

When my hair started to regrow it was patchy as some bits (top started to regrow before the sides. I left it for a while and then had it all evened up to about a grade 3. I am schedule now to have a proper cut at the end - couldn't face losing it all again and going back to square one but its a matter of personal choice
Kind regards
Helen

geewhiz

Anybody shaved their new post-chemo hair?

I finished chemotherapy 5 weeks ago, and have more than a cm of hair on my head, but it is very patchy and wispy. My BCN said that some women decide to shave off this first regrowth, and then the hair seems to grow back stronger. Has anyone tried this?