Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone In West Yorkshire??

LMB212

Re: Anyone In West Yorkshire??

Good luck even blooming phones. X
LMB212

Helen hood luck for tomorrow . Sarah have a fab holiday. Caroline and Shona sorry you have has to join us but welcome you get plenty of support on here. My company operates in Yorkshire so the place names are very familiar. Once we are all on the road to recovery I will arrange a work visit and hopefully catch up with all of you. Lou x
helen1971

Glad it went well Caroline. Good luck for tomorrow.

Sarah hope you have a good holiday.

Shona welcome to the forum. I know just how you are feeling. It's all very surreal and feels like it's happening to someone else. All I can say is stay positive and stay strong (and accept help from anyone who offers!!). You will the ladies on here very helpful and supportive. Keep in touch.

Helen xx
ShonaLeeds

I'm in Leeds, very new to all this, just been diagnosed last Friday, still waiting on more detailed pathology results and my op is on 11th April in Bradford (I was bounced from Leeds via Yorkshire clinic at Bingley to now Bradford!).  Totally in shock and in limbo

Terrified1976

Port went OK thanks Helen, I'd been dreading it so am mighty glad it's out of the way. I was almost more worried about that than the chemo! I have a feeling I need to be moderated before I can sign up for private messages but will go into my settings and see if it's been enabled yet. All the best for tomorrow x
Sarahkears73

Hi mine was ok too, I'm a large inner and medium outer cap. Feel a bit overwhelmed. Hope everyone had a good day xx
helen1971

Hi Caroline and Sarah. Pre chemo appt went well. Lots to take in and I guess they have to want you about all possible side effects. Taking bloods was a doddle with my picc line although it did sting a bit when they flushed it. Had fitting for cold cap and was surprised I need a large!!!! Just want to get chemo started now. How did the port go Caroline? Helen x
Sarahkears73

I start in 2 weeks Helen we go to Florida in Friday until 5th April start chemo on 6th. Hope all goes well tomorrow, I'm same dreading it and all that comes with it. Let me know how you get on xx
helen1971

Good luck to you Sarah. When do you start chemo? My first one is tomorrow and I'm dreading it. Think it's the fear of the unknown. Read so much on here about side effects that just don't know what to expect. Take care. Helen x
Sarahkears73

Hi Helen good luck today I also have my pre appointment and cold cap fitting today but at York. I've joined an April monthly thread (started by Leo I think?) on here too so there's tips and things available there, Sarah xx
helen1971

Morning Caroline. All my appt and surgery have been at Pinderfields and staff have been great. I've chosen to have chemo at Dewsbury as it's more convenient (and cheaper from taxis as no doubt i won't feel like driving). I have my pre chemo appt and cold cap fitting later today so will let you know how I get on. I've tried to send you a private message with my contact details but it says your settings won't allow it. Have a good day. Helen x
Terrified1976

Ah I might have got that wrong about the Herceptin then, maybe I will be having it in my thigh - there was a lot to take in! I'm being treated in Halifax & Huddersfield, and everyone's been lovely so far. All seems very well organised. How have they been at Dewsbury?
helen1971

I take in you are having treatment at Halifax. I'm having mine at dewsbury. I've been told herceptin will be an injection in my thigh every 3 weeks for a year. Strange how different hospitals do things differently. Take care x
Terrified1976

Same here, it's been so surreal, almost like it's not really happening. A very big thing to get your head round in a short space of time.

I'm having a port in my chest, oncologist said it was a good idea and easy to look after which is important as it's going to be in for a year for the Herceptin.

I'm having my chemo first, before surgery as they already know it's in my lymph nodes - I had a raised one biopsied at the breast clinic when I was assessed. I'll have a mastectomy or lumpectomy + ANC when my chemo finishes. Hope you get on OK on Tuesday, keep in touch x
helen1971

Hi Caroline. Which port are you having? The one on your arm or chest? I've got the one in my arm. Oncology suggested it as soon as I told her I had a needle phobia. It's been uncomfortable for a few days and bathing is difficult as told me not to get it wet. I've also got hats ready in case hair goes. Not had appt with wig lady yet. My friend also told me to get a silk pillowcase as they minimise drag on your hair while you sleep. I've bought a sleep cap too as don't want this her wake up to hair all over my pillow. I'm dreading Tuesday but at same time I just want it over with. What surgery have you had? I had lumpectomy and sentinel node biopsy on 17th Feb. Nodes were all clear but they couldn't get clear margins around the lump (28mm) so I will have a mastectomy after my chemo. Lump was grade 3 and HER2+ so will need herceptin too. Still can't believe this is happening to me. When I found the lump i was convinced it was hormonal due to my age but luckily my partner made me go to doctors. Take care. Helen x
Terrified1976

Hi Helen, I'm not bothering with the cold cap as I've got rubbish fine hair to begin with and have been told it probably won't work for me! Went to choose a wig last week and have had my hair cut short and ordered some hats etc so am as ready as I can be for it all to fall out. I get a port put in tomorrow morning which I'm dreading but I think it'll be worth it in the long run. Best of luck for Tuesday and yes let's keep in touch for when we're feeling better x
helen1971

Hi Caroline. Thanks four your reply. My first chemo is Tuesday too so maybe when we both feel something normal again we could meet up. I'm 44 and live in Liversedge near Cleckheaton/Brighouse so not far from you. Are you cold capping? I am definately going to try it as losing my hair is freaking me out. I had a picc line put in last week ready for chemo as I have a needle phobia. Good luck for Tuesday and keep in touch. Helen x
Terrified1976

Hi Helen, I'm 39 and have recently been diagnosed, I live in Halifax and start my chemo on Tuesday - 8 cycles of EC then DC (or something), plus 12m Herceptin. If you're still looking for a chum to meet up with then please message me - when I was diagnosed I asked my BCN if there was a younger women's network I could join, as I feel I would benefit from chatting to others in the same position. Unfortunately there were no groups on the go but it would be great to chat/meet up if you want?

Caroline x
Sarahkears73

Hi Lou and Helen. Sorry to hear results weren't clear Lou. I was same with nodes so they removed 21 more, all clear! Helen I'm starting chemo 6 April, get back from Florida 5th. I'm not a needle fan either. At least we are all on the way to recovery now, xx

LMB212

I know it is strange Helen re different procedures. Wish the Op was tomorrow I hate waiting. Most of my margins clear just one area less than .5mm so not classed as clear plus the little blighter in one of my nodes. I am having an expander fitted at the same time as they are conserving the skin for my reconstruction at a later stage. My chemo with probably start May deep joy. I am starting to feel very emotional and annoyed at the same time. Why me etc. Think I took everything in that the consultant and BCN said. They don't want to take chances and it will be a belt and braces treatment. All my new friends on here will get me through this. X
helen1971

So sorry to hear that Lou. I'm having chemo first then mastectomy. Strange how different hospitals do things differently. I too am HER2+ so will be on herceptin too. Joy!!!!
LMB212

Results weren't good. Didn't get full clear margins and 1 node out of 3 had traces of cancer. Oh plus it's Her2 positive. Mastecomy 30th March plus node clearance I can't take the chance another lumpectomy would give me cleat margins. They are going to put an expander in at the same time so they are saving the skin. Felt ok at appt as I was half expecting it. But since I have come home and had to tell people it is starting to sink in more. I have further surgery followed by chemo then radiotherapy as they are going belt and braces. It is sh*t but I have to be positive and try to be as normal as possible. Lou x
helen1971

Hi LMB212. Had my oncology appt today and 1st chemo is 22nd March. Having a picc line put in next week as have a needle phobia and decided getting stressed just the once is better than 6 times!!!! In a strange way can't wait to get started now as just want rid of this evil and unwelcome guest in my body. Hope you are feeling OK today. Helen xx
LMB212

Thanks Sarah went back to work today enjoyed it despite the fact my computer wasn't working and still wasn't when I left this afternoon. Helen hope the chocolate has made you feel a little better I would wash down with a large glass of wine. Lou x
Sarahkears73

Hi Helen, sorry to hear that, I bet you are cross. I was opposite way round, clear margins but 2 nodes involved. I felt angry as they had said they didn't expect them to be. Eat as much chocolate as you like, at least now you have results and can start to move forward. Lou hope you've had a good day too, Sarah xx

LMB212

Oh Helen I am so sorry. I have been thinking about you. You will feel better for a good cry and some chocolate. Glad you can have reconstruction at same time as mastectomy. Take care love Lou x
helen1971

Hi Sarah and Lou. Results have not gone well. Lymph nodes clear but didn't get clear margins. They could be a "shave" and take more tissue but still no guarantee of clear margins. So they are doing a mastectomy!!! However I will have my chemo first and then mastectomy with immediate reconstruction. I'm very angry at the moment as I originally said I wanted a mastectomy but they said it wasn't necessary. Nurse said I have to look at the positive that lymph nodes were clear but I feel like I've taken a step back again. Oncology appt on Thursday so at least chemo will start soon. Just sat stuffing myself with chocolate and having a good cry. Hope you are both having a better day. Helen xx
LMB212

Good luck for tomorrow Helen will be thinking of you. Enjoy your day Sarah my 3 are arguing as I type. Lou x
helen1971

Hi Lou and Sarah. No kids from me but did get some flowers from the dogs!!!! Enjoy your day both of you. Will let you know how my results appointment goes tomorrow. Helen xx
Sarahkears73

Hi Lou, hope you have a happy Mother's Day with your boys, Helen you too if reading this today! My degree is business and finance with quite a bit of law, I was a manager for Yorkshire bank before having Katherine when I did a PGCE and went into teaching. I love it, couldn't imagine doing anything else. Hope everyone is well today xx

LMB212

I took RE and history at A level . My 2 boys school is smaller around 680 pupils. I was going to study history at Uni and was thinking about teaching. Ended up taking Law but didn't go down the solicitor route in the end . I work in house for Arriva in the Insurance Department as a claims Manager . X
Sarahkears73

Hi yes we do give them a lot!! Standards have raised these days. I teach mainly RE, but I work in a small school (950 kids which is small for secondary) so I also teach PSHCEE and drama, I've also taught history, business studies and maths! Bit of a mix, love Sarah xx
LMB212

That's made me feel better thanks Sarah. Yep kids these days get too much and expect it for nothing. Suppose it is our fault for giving them too much. Enjoy your wine. Meant to ask what subject do you teach. X
Sarahkears73

Hi Lou, my boob is lumpy too if it helps. I'm using emollient cream, the skin is smooth the scar great but underneath it's lumpy. ANC scar not so much. Kids are shocking these days, I had millions of chores and wouldn't have dared complain!! Your Mother's Day sounds nice, we are out of Prosecco, I'm on villa Maria Sauvignon blanc which is lovely too. Watched ant and Dec and now onto take me out. Have a fab day tomorrow xx
LMB212

Hi Sarah feeling more sane now but that could be the Prosecco and just had a nice bath and applied bio oil to scars. My right boob is still lumpy above the scar line and when I have put bio oil on the SNB scar that feels a little lumpy too. No significant pain and still have good arm movement. Boys footie matched called off tomorrow so planning a sleep in the a nice get to gether tomorrow afternoon round my Mams. My 14 year old son thinks asking him to move his size 10 trainers and footie boots from the hall is a step to far and why should he help out he is a kid. Am looking forward to going to work on Monday to be normal for a few hours. I am just wondering how long it will take for one of the team to come in office to have a whinge about one of their colleagues. Enjoy Mothers Day Lou x
Sarahkears73

Hi Lou. I know what you mean I look and feel fine apart from a sore arm. My (usually cooperative and lovely) 13 year old daughter told me it was child slavery asking her to clean her own bathroom!! Trouble is I worry about coping during chemo as by the sounds of it it's not very nice. Enjoy some time with your brother, hope you are doing something lovely for Mother's Day, Sarah xx
LMB212

Totally Sarah I had a mini melt down with my lot earlier when I asked them to help tidy house. Because I look well and am acting normal they assume I am. I have told them I am supposed to avoid heavy lifting and not using a hoover but it goes in one ear and out the other. I left them to get on with it and went to pick my brother up from the Station. I felt better for a cry. They simply don't understand the emotional and mental side of this bl**dy disease. I threw all the get well cards that I had been sent in the bin along with all the flowers. Lou x
Sarahkears73

You are right, we will. Makes you feel less alone doesn't it, having people who do actually completely understand xx

LMB212

Sarah that is exactly how I feel. But if it has to be done then we will get through and we will support each other through it. X
LMB212

Fingers crossed Helen. X
Sarahkears73

Thank you Helen, I've ordered the products, feel better for taking action. I just feel like chemo is the public sign you have cancer because of the hair loss and I don't like it. So if I can keep my hair I will feel better. Thanks for the support everyone xx

helen1971

Hi Sarah and Lou. I've just had a letter with my oncology appt 10th March but I don't get my results until Monday 7th. Hoping this means no more surgery. Fingers crossed. Have a good day. Helen xx
LMB212

Oh Sarah I feel for you. I am dreading been told I have to have chemo and in the main due to the hair loss. I was expecting to get a treatment plan at my results appt on the 10th but think it might be a separate appointment. I am prepared to try the cold cap if it helps. Driving fine . Hope you both have a good weekend. Lou x
cjrd

Hi Helen,

Thank you so much indeed for sharing these links! X

helen1971

helen1971

Sarahkears73

Hi Helen I will order those too, and like you say need to get a wig in case. I'm really hoping to try it so fingers crossed we can cope xx
helen1971

Hi Sarah. Sorry to heat your oncology appt didn't go well. I'm definitely trying the cold cap despite all the horror stories I've read. The thought of losing my hair is freaking me out more than the chemo itself so I have to give it a try. Will be getting a wig just in case though. Have already bought Nioxin shampoo and a silk pillowcase as recommended by someone on here. I usually colour my hair and it's due for one now but it been advised to leave well alone now. My friend went through chemo 2 years ago so I'm prepared for the side effects. I think we just have to accept that we have no choice and it has to be done to be cancer free. Stay strong. We are all here with you. Take care. Helen xx
Sarahkears73

Hi Helen and Lou, had oncology yesterday and spent the rest of the day in tears after hearing about every side effect possible. I feel very overwhelmed and it makes it all feel real again. I would like to try the cold cap I think but the consultant was quite dismissive he didn't have time to discuss it and it didn't seem to matter to him. Luckily a lady health care worker (he was a man, the consultant) stopped to talk to me when I burst into tears whilst she was doing my ECG. Apparently an ECG before chemo is standard. So today starts the task of picking myself up again. Chemo starts 6th April, we are back from Florida on 5th. Hope the driving going well and you both ok pain wise, love Sarah xx

LMB212

I am going to try driving tomorrow Helen. I have good arm movement and have been doing the exercises. I am waiting to hear re critical illness for our mortgage. Think the Insurer was waiting to hear from my Consultant. My boob is harder today and lumpy above the scar assume that is scar tissue. I have been using bio oil so will continue doing that.