Anyone any luck getting travel insurance for 2 cancers?

Diagnosed July 2007. Surgery, chemo. radiotherapy, finished Feb. Got insurance OK for Italy and for Germany. Now I want to travel further to Thailand and the best offer I can get is £800.00. Every other company simply refused - that is Mia, Age Concern. Insurecancer possibly will do it but only 2 weeks before travel and again at an exorbitant cost. I’ve just been signed off for 6 months, for heaven’s sake.

It’s so sickening when I feel perfectly fine to travel. It seems that it’s because of the lung cancer which has given no symptoms or problems for nearly 4 years. Or am I missing some other dreadful possibilty?

Sarcath

Hi sarcath,
I think the insurance is high for certain countries because the medical care isn’t as good as,say,Europe.I got reasonable cover with them for Turkey £68.50 but the lady I spoke to had to go away and check with her colleagues before oking it.

Yes, I’m sure that’s it. I was told that treatment in Germany would have been mostly free if needed but that in Thailand it is private and pretty expensive.
It’s just so infuriating when really what are the chances of anything to do with the cancer causing a problem. You just feel you need that safety net.
You may notice I posted again - I had forgotten Insurepink and they came up trumps - dearish yes but vastly better than the others.
Sarcath

Hi … I have a Citibank Sterling Bank “Plus” Account - and this gives me full worldwide annual travel insurance for both me and my partner (along with other perks), for £10 a month. Their cover was well documented, and seemed to cover me, but I spoke to them several times on the phone, to be absolutely sure.

My case is simplified by the fact the I already had a citibank account before diagnosis (admittedly not the “plus” account - but it was their choice to upgrade me). And also by the fact that I’ve only had primary BC - and am in full remission currently. Anyway, you might want to invesitgate, the full terms and conditions are online.

Thanks for that. It does make a difference once you are talking two different cancers though - it seemed to be more the first cancer, from which I have had no problems for 4 years now, that was causing the stumbling block.
I still think it is worth looking into.
Sarcath

Hi … I had some problems last year when I had a hysterectomy and was dx with osteoporosis …it’s not the same I know but I used the fact sheet on this site - Insurance and Breast Cancer (am sure lovely moderator will chuck in the link, please?) and I just worked my way down the list. Lots of people said no, some said they would only cover certain things but eventually I found cover and not too expensive. I found each company approaches things slightly differently so it’s worth persevering. Good luck - holidays are very important. Also Macmillan have done a lot about insurance and cancer so it may be worth having a look on their web site too.
Jeanie
x

Hi ladies,

Here’s the link to insurance and breast cancer.

breastcancercare.org.uk/content.php?page_id=680

Kind regards,
Jo, Facilitator