Anyone around Boston Lincs interested in buddying

Hi there im 52 newly diagnosed with breast cancer in Feb 09. I would like to get to know others in my position which I hope will lead to friendship and mutual support. I am married with 3 children 28 27 and 22 only youngest remains at home. I enjoy going to carboot sales, eating out, cinema and consider myself to be fairly social. I am coping reasonably well and trying to remain positive - not always easy. I have now had my surgery wide lumpectomy and total node clearance and await further treatment. After devestation mode, I have now gone in to practical mode doing whatever I can to help myself - this is something I really believe in that we need to do whatever we can in a positive way to get what we need to help ourselves - easier said than done sometimes.
I feel like the salmon trying swim against the flow - but hey gonna get there - xxx

Hi Hubbles

Welcome to the forums. I am quite sure that you will get lots of support on her very soon. If you are looking for support and information from people in a similar situation to you, you can always call our free phone helpline on 0808 800 6000, which is open 9-5 Monday to Friday and 9-2 Saturdays. They can refer you to our Peer Support Service as well as offer you information and support.

Best wishes
Annabel

Hi Hubbles, i’m in Leicester so not a million miles away.I’m 53 with four sons all grown up with just one still at home, so far though son no2 might be heading home soon as well.
I was dx in Jan 07 and had mastectomy chemo and radio now on hormmone therapy for next 3 years.Do you know yet what treatment is planned for you? I know its a really scary situation to be in but you do get stronger and amaze yourself at what you can get through.

Any way hope you get all the support from this fantastic site that got me through my treatment, they really are a great bunch

Hi Hubbles & Mounties

I live in Lincoln. I was diagnosed in October 2007. Have had a mastectomy, chemotherapy and radiotherapy. I am currently taking Arimidex. Had a reduction on my good breast at Leicester Royal Infirmary in December last year and am returning to Leicester on Wednesday so they can view their handiwork and to get in the queue for reconstruction. I am 57, single and more than willing to chat and share experiences.

Lynda x

HI LINDA

I LIVE 10 MILES FROM GRIMSBY. I WAS DIOGNOSED IN JULY 2005 HAD SURGERY AND RADIOTHERAPY.WAS ON TAMOXAFIN FOR 2 YEARS WITH THE ONLY SIDE AFFECT WAS BEING VERY EMOTIONAL CHANGED ME TO ARIMIDEX, PUT A STONE ON IN WEIGHT, MY BCN SAID IT WASN’T ARIMIDEX AS THERE HAD BEEN NO REPORTS ON WEIGHT GAIN AS A SIDE AFFECT. WOULD BE INTERESTED TO KNOW IF YOU HAD ANY SUCH SIDE AFFECTS.THANX.
SHIRLEY

Hi Shirley,

I thought it was common knowledge that Arimidex and Tamoxifen were the culprits when it came to putting weight on. I’ve had it said to me by nurses and doctors. Now here’s the tricky bit. I gave up jumping on the scales years ago. It was always bad news and I don’t like bad news so the scales and I are not friends! I’ve been on Arimidex since July last year and have to say I do feel porkier. I looked in the mirror the other night and if I stand sideways I look like Alfred Hitchcock - not pleasant!

I was told I would get aches and pains on Arimidex but wasn’t too bad until the new year. My neck, shoulders and upper arms are quite stiff in the morning and can be painful. Knees and feet aren’t as flexible as they used to be. I think twice about bending down! Started gettng cramp in my toes. Didn’t get emotional when I started taking Arimidex and apart from the above I’ve got on with it quite well. I started taking glucosamine, chondroitin and MSM which is supposed to be good for bones and muscles. It’s costing me an arm and a leg and can’t say I’ve noticed much difference.

Hope this is helpful.

Let me know how you are.

Love,

Lynda x

HI Hubbles

I live in Boston. DX last September - op in October - rads December/Jan
now on Tamoxifen for next 5 years!

I would be glad to buddy you.
Look forward to hearing from you

Helen