67.9K members
1.2M posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone been rock climbing since having a mastectomy and ANC?

4 REPLIES 4
Guest user
Not applicable

Re: Anyone been rock climbing since having a mastectomy and ANC?

hi Em
I'm a rock climbing fan, love it! I had mx & diep recon in March 2008 and was back up the climbing wall 9 weeks later. Both my PS & BS roll their eyes at me and I am clearly their 'mad patient' however nearly 2 years on and I think they accept it's the normal me. I was told by numerous physios climbing was a big no no from a lymphodema perspective but I went to a lymphodema clinic and had a frank discussion with them and they were really good and supported my life goes on approach and they fitted me with a lymphodema sleeve which I wear when I'm climbing and I have had no probs. Good luck with it.
xx

valentine

I had mastectomy and reconstruction in July 08. In August 09 I went rock climbing and abseiling. This was the first time ever and I wasn't brilliant at rock climbing, gave up by the time I was 20 feet above the ground but I did enjoy the abseiling and water activities that we did. I didn't have ANC, just 2 nodes removed and all was clear so don't know if this will really help you.

fairyem

Hi,

Thanks for replying. No physio but I do have a few friends who are physios so maybe I could ask them. As far as swimming goes they have said no unless in a private pool where I know who has been in it recently and if they had any bugs, annoyingly I know no one with their own pool.

I should get my bike out actually, have to wait for the ice to melt here of course.
Em x

crispy

hi Em

Will try and pull up a thread from about 18 mths ago as i only had WLI and snb.

Am not a regular climber more of a scrambler. Found i cycled rather than climbed to start with. Have you a physio attached to your breast care team who can advise you.?

Have you discussed swimming with your oncologist 'cos mine allowed me to swim (can't rememeber if there were any restrictions)

Crispy

fairyem

Anyone been rock climbing since having a mastectomy and ANC?

Hi,

Just wondered if anyone's been climbing at all. I climbed before my surgery but know I'm meant to be taking it easy.

Op was in November and I have quite good use of my arm, doubt I could pull my weight up on it though or extend fully. I know I'd have to start easy but is it a silly sport to start again so soon or should I try building my strength up more before getting back into it. I'm aware of the risks of Lymphodema etc.

I've been doing other activity, mainly stuff on the wii balance board like wii fit and boxing. Starting back at my dance classes. Very glad to get the snowboard out yesterday. So keen to go swimming but know I have to wait until after chemo finishes.

Maybe I'm just too keen to do exercise but trust me it's just to balance out my cake/chocolate eating!!
Em x