cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone coloured their hair?

5 REPLIES 5
Sky Writer

Re: Anyone coloured their hair?

My hair grew back curly. I dyed it to straighten it. It worked. But I think it was about 3 months after treatment too short before to bother I expect you have already done it as your post was in June. Hope it looks fab
funnyface
Community Champion

I've never stopped bleaching mine. When it first came back after losing it, I bleached it when it was about an inch long. I never pretested. Just got brave and did it. Worse thing I figured was if it was a mess I'd pop my wig back on. FF

Snoozysuz

Thank you both, I will have a look on the chemo threads.  I never actually thought about the effects of chemo, but it all makes complete sense as my skin and nails are both showing obvious effects so my hair must be too.  I'll speak to my hairdresser and she what she knows.  Thanks again x

Ms Merton

I think there are 2 issues - possible skin reaction (skin more sensitive following chemo) and the first hair growth you get through after chemo is still affected by the chemicals and is in effect damaged.  If you colour this first hair growth (esp bleach) according to my hairdresser it will just go orange and frizzy.  So she has told me I need to wait until it gets long enough that she has been able to trim off all the chemo-damaged ends.  She says she will then test a few cut strands with the dye to see whether it will take the colour ok.  So you need to patch test both your skin and your hair in effect.  I would suggest trying to find a hairdresser near you who is experienced with treating chemo hair, at least for the first colouring.  Frustrating, isn't it?!

Anniej
Community Champion

There's quite a lot of info on another thread re hair colour. Think it's the chemo one. 

Snoozysuz

Anyone coloured their hair?

This may seem like a frivoulous question, but after 7 months of treatment (chemo/surgery/rads) my hair is coming in nicely, and I'm thinking of colouring it before the big reveal.  I have about half an inch of regrowth and finally feeling confident enough to think about ditching the wig and scarves.  Has anyone coloured their regrowth?  I read somewhere that you should wait 6 months or so but I can't think why.  Any tips?