1.2M posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone due to start chemo in April? - Awesom April Angels

Mel_A

Re: Anyone due to start chemo in April? - Awesom April Angels

Hi everyone, I''ve  not been on for a bit as I've had a busy few days. It's been lovely to do more and not feel sore and drained. The big news for today - wait for it................I've actually needed to shave my bikini line - lol. My hair is doing well and I'm starting to get stubble  where my eyelashes should be' but my eyebrows are a bit slow on the uptake. Nothing happening there. 

I've signed up for a free online course, called 'coping with cancer stress' with Paul's Cancer Support Centre. It seem's to be centred around mindfulness and teaches you how to cope with stress and anxiety in general. I was struggling with that before diagnosis, so I'm hoping it will help. If anyone is interested you can find information on their website.

Judy - I'm so glad you've been given the all clear and glad you're starting to feel a bit more like yourself again. It's such a shame you and Fecinora can't make the meet up in April.

Lori - It's good  to hear you can post again.

Mel - you're doing so well with the chemo and rads. Not long now. xx

Sandy - I'm 11 Days post rads now. My skin is starting to heal in some places but break down in others' so it's uncomfortable and very sore around my armpit, but I should be through the worst of it soon.

You will enjoy your holiday if only for the change of scenery. Just take it easy.

Pauline I hope the decorating is coming on ok. 

Hi Kim, Moira, Amber and anyone else I've missed. Sorry if I've not commented in your posts, I can't tab back on my tablet and I have a rubbish memory. Have a lovely day everyone.   🙂 

Philomena_b

Evening Angels, lovely to here from Lori and Angie, glad your both ok.
Mel, I am 18 days post rads now, and it was painful until about 5 days ago. Although multicoloured and peeling, fortunately the skin didn't break down. I know what you mean about the lumps, I thought the same but not due to see my ONC now until November but think I will also get her to check.
I've got my angiogram on Monday and not allowed any tea or coffee ( or anything with caffeine ) until after the test! God only knows what I will be like by tomorrow evening as I drink about 8 cups of tea a day. May have total melt down.....but at least I will have an idea what's gone wrong. If the damage to my heart is anything like what it's done to the veins in my arm I'm in deep do dos. Sure it's not as I would have been carted off weeks ago.
The Delrosa seems to have brought back happy memories of youth, I can say that it really does taste just like it, hope your all in the hedgerows tomorrow picking those rose hips.
Happy weekend girls xox
angiepops

hi all

just been reading all the posts and we seem to have multitudes of different s/e's and treatment paths going on at the moment.

my one is chemo muscle pains like i had with the tax. it seems that it can come and go for months, how lovely.

been back at work since wednesday, full time, managing okay but a bit tired. I dont care because i feel just like i used to, everything is as it was, its great.

hope youre all keeping well,

angie xx

lori28

Ha brilliant this time it worked.....nice to be back!
lori28

Hello Angels!
Apologies for my absence but been having trouble posting from phone. It's like being relegated to the sidelines of a football game....watching you all (reading) but unable to play!!!
Pauline your proposal for meeting place sounds lovely who wouldn't be temted by a spa day and meeting the women who have played s huge part in how we all feel and where we are
today.
Judy so so happy to hear about your scan happy dancing for you!
Hope the s/e of rads and those still on chemo not getting the better of you girls, I look forward to you all getting to the end so you can start to get over this crap and stop just plougjing thru it!
I've been finished chemo now since July 10th with no rads but for some reason emotionally I have been feling up and down like a blooming yo-yo. Had a bit of a melt down one day when having my Herceptin so have for the ladt few weeks been talking to a psycologist...thankfully she has told me I'm not depressed just very anxious and my feelings are not unusual in any way so that is encouraging. I have also been signed iff work for an additionsl 3 months so I guess I'll take this time to pull myelf together and recuperate, getting my strength back physically and emitionally.
Lots of love to you all, Lori xx
KimG

Good evening everyone

Judy - absolutely great news about the scan 🙂 sorry that you won't be able to make it in April.
Sandy - the trip to Centre Parcs sounds fab.
Philomena - I loved Delrosa as a child,

I have been taking it easy today after having a wonderful time at the wedding yesterday. I ate and drank far too much and even had a boogie....it was great I felt quite normal again 🙂

Hope you all have a great weekend

Kim x
maisiecake

Hi all
Judy glad you're scan was ok- such good news!
Sandy hope you enjoy your holiday with no hitches. Enjoy those foot massages!
Philomena my boob is also multi coloured but very painful/sore. How many days post rads are you now? Was it painful and isn't now or was it never painful? I'm Also very lumpy, so much so that I asked onc to check it was normal because I do worry that if the tumor was growing back I wouldn't be able to tell. She was vdry reassuring which helped me a bit.
Had chemo again yesterday, after a two hour wait. Seems to be a long wait every time now so frustrating. Not the nurses fault just not enough c hairs for the number of people. Went ok, just chilling at home and feeling sick as usual
Have a good night angels
Love mel xxx
Philomena_b

Good afternoon angels from lovely sunny norwich.
Judy, great news on the scan, you can relax a bit now 🙂
Sandy, go for it girl. Centre parks is great even if your not up to to much activity. Which one are you going to? Just being with all the family will be a huge boost. Last time I went for my daughters hen weekend I was not feeling brilliant on the last day and spent it on a heated waterbed, lush! Which one are you going to Sherwood Forest?
Thank also for the encouragement on the job front.
Kate the rosehip is supposed to be excellent for any type of arthritis, there are so many around at the moment and it's so easy to do have a go. I don't think it matters what type you use, just go easy on the sugar as they say equal amounts to the rosehip, which I find a bit sweet. Were all taking it it neat in shot glasses.
Moira you did make me laugh with the gripe water! But years ago it was made of alcohol, no wonder the babies recovered so quickly from gripe, they were drunk! And didn't care!
My hair is growing really fast now, and it is really dark. My eyebrows and eyelashes are also back. My right eyebrow is black and the left is a mixture of white and black! Considering it was completely white prior to chemo I think that's a bonus. The boob is really multicoloured from black to pink, but no pain or tenderness. Only thing is don't recognise the feel of it as it is really lumpy and bumpy from all the scar tissue. I feel I could be back to the hospital every week with a new lump! Hopefully will settle down soon.
Hope you all have a good weekend Angels xx

Spikey

Sandy,
Good idea about the hols, hope it all works out and you just spend a week eating and drinking in your swimming costume! 🙂
I am 10 down 5 to go on rads and so looking forward to the end now, its a frustrating experience and I wouldn't wish it on anyone. I also found out on Thursday that lots of BC ladies had been offered the compressed rads, 15 sessions in 5......not impressed that I wasn't offered that as I'd be done now and lots less frustrated with how the dept runs!

Lynn, good to hear your OH managed to get up and make lunch. Hope he's feeling lots better now.

Judy, great news on the all clear, hope you are still dancing and celebrating that. I keep wondering whether to push for a body scan or whether I should take their words that I should be fine and leave it......sometimes I'm sure I want the scan, other times I want to stick my head in the sand and get on with my life in oblivion!
Philomena, does rosehip syrup work well for arthritis, my mum is really bad and hates taking painkillers so if this can loosen her joints maybe its worth a try?

Hope everyone else is having a good weekend.
Kate
X
PrimroseHill

Our holiday is at centre parcs, only two hours away from home. So weve decided to give it a go after reading your posts on scar healing so a big thank you Judy, Moira, Kate and Mel and anyone else ive missed .  However, my visions of happily bombing down the rapids, tree treking, and segway, have all been well and truly quashed. (Quiet rightly so. What was I thinking). There are around 14 of us family going too with kids so I just couldn't cancel and let them down.

So I give in. Who can blame me if my only option is to look forward to food, food, a humugus fire work display on the tuesday night, and more food followed by a choice glass of vino or two. Oh and copious amounts of foot massages. (Sorry, reflexology if your posh).

Damage limitation will have to be review after as I did have the sense to buy the swimsuit one size larger complete with that stuff that tightens at the tummy. (Just think tummy tuck, one inflated boob, prothesis popped on the other side to level. Whats not to like? LOL) Seriously though, any problems and I'm hoping we can head back and get whatever sorted and rejoin. That's the plan anyway.

Judy - Great news about the all clear. Sorry you can't make Manchester like Pauline say's mabe the year after eh?

Kate - Im glad Angie is well and back at work. Hope your rads are over soon. Our hospital is 3 quarters of an hour away and I got there on friday to that all the car parks were full and people were just driving in and out. I parked on yellow lines and couldn't wait to get a ticket just so I could let rip for this week. Lol. I'm beginning to enjoy speaking my mind now. Didn't get one though.

Moira - Gripe water?? Really??? Te He...Haven't used the quick reply yet. I do the "View Discussion Popup" thing. Will have a go next time.

Philomena - I can't think of a better nurse I would love to meet in our chemo suite. Fill out those forms hunny. I made Roship Syrup last year for my mums arthritus. Ive always picked wild rosehips found in long established hedgerows. Lovely on pancakes or semolena. Yum. 

Lynn - Have a great weekend with your OH and look forward to that holiday when the rads are over. 

Mel A - Hope your not too sore. How many more rads to go?

Wishing you all a good weekend angels.xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

LNMcG

Hey Judy glad to hear from you missed your humour great news about your scan results sorry you can't make Manchester you would have kept us all laughing just what we need too. You will be sadly missed. My hubby made lunch today with help of lem sip cold and flu 10 down 9 to go have a good weekend angels Lynn x
Mosiecat

Really good to hear from you, Judy. Brilliant news re the all-clear. You can happy dance all the way to Sewerby and back!
Sandie, sorry to say but I think Kate and Judy have hit it on the head. It looks like it's either postpone the holiday or postpone the op. Although, if the holiday is in this country I'd just go for it.
Philomena you brought back lovely childhood memories for me. I loved Delrosa syrup, straight from the bottle, especially when it was meant for my two younger brothers. I had more than a passing fancy for gripe water as well!
Have a lovely, happy weekend Angels,
Moira xxx
Guest user
Not applicable

Hey Judy - so glad to hear from you girl and what fabby news about your scan - wow!  Really gutted you can't make April get together.  You have made me laugh and smile so much over the past few months and I was really looking forward to meeting you Woman Sad maybe 2015??

Judyd

Hiya ladies, sorry I've been AWOL for a few days, it's been a bit hectic here, my mother in law fractured her femur so we've been rallying around getting her and father in law and the dog sorted.
I've just come back from the hospital, I went to have fluid drained off my boob as it was killing me, I've put up with it for the last few days but I had almost grown a new boob and it was solid, anyway it's been drained now and I'm one happy bunny. Plus I have really good news the Ct scan I had on Monday has come back all clear! they were a bit worried that the cancer may have spread due to the size of the tumour and the number of lymph nodes affected but there's no spread to other organs. I'm now doing the HAPPY DANCE!!!!
I had my planning meeting for rads on Tuesday , I got my tattoos, the BC nurse said they may have to do them again though due to the amount of fluid she drained off today. I start the radiology on the 9th October.

Pauline sorry for not letting you know earlier but I'm not gonna be able to make the April gathering.

Sandy my wounds were healed a week after the MX, I would quite happily have gone out and walked the dog the day after. The only problem that you may have is the fluid build up. They have to remove the drain 7 days after the op but the fluid may still be building up. I've had the fluid syringed out twice now and was well and truly ready for it. I think this week is the first week following the op that I've really felt back to full strength. I'm walking normal, no sleeping through the day, but still can't sleep properly through the night. The worst thing I have is the cording, which is agony down the surgery arm, I can't straighten my arm, I can see the tendon popping out right down my arm. I think if I was in your position, I would try and delay the holiday, if it's at all possible.

mel, glad your feeling happier, I don't know how your managing to keep going, your obviously made of strong stuff xx

Kate how's many rads are you having in total,, hope your over half way there, I too get so frustrated at being kept hanging around in the hospital.

Amber, I don't know how you've coped with all this without your OH. Hope you have a fab day at the ideal home exhibition.

Your all going nuts with the decorating and being busy, I feel quite a sloth compared to you lot. I've got a dog portrait to paint and can't even be bothered with that yet.... Gonna have to pull my finger out.

Lynn I hope your skin survives so you have a good holiday, at least by then OH should be over his "man-flue"

Philomena, after reading your post, re the rose hip syrup, I googled how you make it as there are loads of rose hips on our dog walking route but they're on dog rose bushes, I'm not sure if they're any good for rose hip syrup but I think they may be.

Moira your bedroom sounds divine. Cazp I love lime green but I'm not sure I would dare to put it on my walls, I bet it looks fab! Pauline, I would go for the green, but only because we once chose some peachy coloured paint that turned out to be a horrendous orange..... It haunts me still!

Amber, now you really are making me feel like a sloth, ..... Christmas shopping already! Boy you are organised.

Kim, poor you, I hope your skin is getting a bit better, there's no way you can return to work till it's sorted, I hope you can get it sorted.

Angie, I'm amazed your back at work already, you are another superwoman..... You go girl!

Lori hope your doing ok

Have a good day eveyone, enjoy the rest from chemo and rads over the weekend xxxx
Judy
Mosiecat

While I'm at it, can anyone tell me the difference between a 'reply', a 'quick reply' and a 'reply to this thread'?
Wow! When I use quick reply I can see all the posts. Problem solved! 🙂 no smiley faces though.
Mosiecat

Lynn, thanks for the tips on viewing posts but, sorry, I had to smile. I still use a PC. My mobile phone is a phone and nothing more and I don't own a tablet. Computer stores and phone shops scare the living daylights out of me. Oh, and what's a hot shift?
maisiecake

Whoops! AMBER have great weekend at ideal home. LYNN  hope OH makes it out of bed for holiday weekend!

maisiecake

Hi angels

Thank you all sooo much for all your positive comments. You are all truly wonderful  and I'm feeling better now. Got back to my what will be will be attitude. You all just gave me the lift I needed.

Moira I know EXACTLY what you mean about the black nipple. You made me laugh! 

OH is off today. Sun is out and we are going for breakfast and a walk before chemo this afternoon.Decided Making the most of every day is the only way for me to cope.

Debra-have you finished now, is last cmf today? Good luck if it is.

Sandy- we're all here to cheer you on however long it takes. Great that you've helped educate a Radiographer!

Lynn- have a great time with OH at ideal home.

Pauline- like green and orange but would go for orange- nice and warm for winter. If you keep it just in the accessories you can change them to green when you've had enough!

Love to you all

Melxxxxx

Spikey

Sandy

I was told I couldn't drive/work/lift/carry for at least 2 weeks after mx with expander. My wound healed sufficiently for them to take the dressing off 1 week after surgery but I'm not sure i would have felt up to going on holiday 2 weeks after surgery. If they have pushed it back to mid oct is there any problem with pushing it back to after your hols rather than trying to fit it in before? I struggled to get insured 7 weeks after surgery so assume you have checked that out if travelling abroad only 18 days after surgery. Good luck and hope you can work something out that fits with your hols.

Amber, have a lovely time with your OH and at the ideal home exhibition. How long is he home for this time, long enough to do all the interior design work you will be planning after today!?

Off for my 10th rads today, SOooooooo looking forward to this being over as the travelling and waiting around is beginning to get me frustrated now, the hospital seem so blasé about the delays.

Angie was on the live chat last night and is doing good, she is back at work.

Have a good day angels
Kate
X
PrimroseHill

Amber- Have a lovely weekend with OH. Ideal Home Exhibition sounds just what most of us need at the moment. 

Everyone else have a lovely weekend and for those up norf a lovely holiday. xxxx

PrimroseHill

Back to hospital yesterday to sign paperwork, blood test, and measure for the expander. I also had to have an xray. I think it was so the surgeon could see where the marker is. The radiologist came to find me to see if i was wearing any jewerly during the xray. I told him about the marker they'd put in pre chemo. He'd never come accross one before. (Should I be worried)?

My op has now been changed to Oct 17th which is time critical for my hols with the family on Nov 4th. Angels how long does it take for the wounds to heal. Do you think I will be well enough to go. The surgeon said that it is possible but I mustnt do anything but rest and heal. He also said I may not feel like leaving home and everyones different. I'm absolutely gutted as I had ordered a mastectomy swimsuit, cap and prothesis. Also depending on what they find I still may have to have rads along with the 3 weekly infusions of herceptin with a day in hospital for a loading dose.  So for me i feel I'm starting yet another uphill climb. Oh whoa is me again. Going to order new bathroom suite. LOL. Happy decorating angels. Lv n Hugs. Sandy xxxx

Amber_D

Morning Angels,

Think we should set up an Interior Design business on here, good to get different opinions.
Good luck to all on Rads today, hope you all have a nice weekend, off to the airport to pick up oh been away a month this time so can't wait to see him! Then guess what, going to the Ideal Home Exhibition so will look for inspiration.

Take care xxx
LNMcG

HI Philomena,Kim  glad your skin has recovered hope yours heals soon Kim. I had no 9 of 19 rads today skin is,so itchy saw the nurse today she gave me  hydro gel  and told me to take anti histamine for the itch.  I am so worried my skin will break down as I am going away on 22nd October for a week. Just,wanted to enjoy the break without having to worry about any medical issues.

're viewing previous posts, if you use,a phone to post you cannot see them, but if you use,a,tablet or laptop you can.  You click on add comment and under the box  you type your reply  in click on "view discussion in a popup" this will open a new tab which you can hot shift between to view,any previous posts hope this helps you.

It is a holiday weekend here in Glasgow my husband is off tomorrow and Monday,he Said he would come with me tomorrow morning for rads then we would ho a run in the car and have lunch.  He is away to bed early tonight with a man cold,  would not like to see him going through chemo!!   Hope he is fit enough tomorrow to enjoy lunch . Lynn x 

Philomena_b

Evening Angels, well certainly some budding interior designers here! Seems the energy levels are starting to return. I am now day 16 post rads and tenderness and pain are now gone. I have a multicoloured boob where it is now peeling, but it has settled. It is quite a. Lot smaller now than the other, but I think I proberly notice it more than others would. Hope yours settles down soon Kim .
Well not quite up for decorating yet but I have today made rosehip syrup for the first time. Those of us of a certain age will remember this from the 60s. Apparently after the 2nd world war all children were given this free as it was a really high source of vit c. It was sold as Delrosa. Really easy to make and tastes wonderful, which is surprising as the rosehip isn't fragrant at all. Those of you. With arthritis should also try this as supposed to help.
Fecinora , if you have worked in the prison you will understand why I won't be going back there. Prior to diagnosis I had already decided to return to Renal dialysis, so the unit at the local hospital are just waiting for a date for me to start. It's not heavy work so should be ok. I am also looking out for any jobs on Chemotherapy, as I found it really interesting when going through chemo and feel I could hopefully really help people going through it. I definetly think I will be a better nurse from this experience.
Moira, I'm like you and haven't quite worked out how to go back on the posts whilst typing, so to all angels hope your all doing well! were almost there xx
Mosiecat

Hello Angels,

You all seem to be posting like man at the moment. Apologies in advance if I miiss anyone. I haven't yet worked out how to look at our posts whilst writing a post myself.

Well, the bedroom decorating is coming on a treat. I managed to make a decent job of wallpapering the wall behind the bed - Laura Ashley grey/beige flowers with curtains to match and OH is doing the painting. New carpet coming soon and nice high hotel-style headboard. Now considering getting sofas recovered but as expected having hard time deciding on fabric and colours. Bc has certainly galvanised alot of us into action!

Amber, Christmas shopping!!! Though I do agree wholeheartedly when you tell the kids to get on buying and doing what they want right now. You never know what's around the corner. Think you've made the right decision workwise too. Much better to look after the grandchildren.

Pauline, I'm more a green sort of person. The colour of the moment is chartreuse. Fabulous for accents, darling!

Kim sorry to hear the boob is playing up. Keep on with the dressings and enjoy the wedding and remember a few glasses will help numb the pain.

Mel, you're allowed to feel a bit sorry for yourself at the moment and don't worry too much about the black nipple. I've got one too and it seems to be on permanent alert - if you know what I mean. I'm now 9 days post rads and things are starting to settle down painwise although the colour underneath where my scar is is still horrible.

Kate, your rads sessions sound quite like mine - a pain to get there then never knowing how long you're going to be waiting around. Soon be over.

Lynn, hope all goes well for your mum. Are you going with her every day?

Caz, don't worry too much about your energy coming back I'm sure you've got a head start on most of us. I'm still managing a half hour walk each day and feeling quite proud.

Sandie, al this work with the horses must be building your stamina and making you feel like life is getting back to normal - if our lives can ever be normal again!

Angie, Judy and Lori, let us know how you're doing.

All the ither Angels, keep plugging away!

Moira xxx 

KimG

Hi everyone

Pauline - I like the sound of the orange accents, I'm also thinking of adding more colour to my neutral Lounge. We have started stripping our bedroom walls and have bought line green and duck egg blue curtains to inject some colour. It looks like a few of use are injecti g a bit of colour into our lives 🙂

Mel - my skin has broken down on the underside of my breast, the skin is all black and looks to have died , the blisters are now spreadi ng along the side of my breast towards my armpit. I was given some dressings at the hospital which have been really good, had to go to the GP for replacement dressings yesterday , I explained that the 6 x 6 dressings were a little small so he gave me a prescription for 10 x 10 dressings.......when I collected them from the chemist he had prescribed 10 cm x 10 cm dressings, when I was expecting 10" x 10" dressings ! Luckily the pharmacist rang the surgery and sorted out some larger dressings. ....apparently the newly qualified doctor has never heard of inches lol. I'm going to wedding tomorrow so have had to get a camisole with bra support as I' m unable to wear a bra at the moment.

I'm also looking at returning to work on a phased return at the end of October if my skin has healed. I don't think i could manage full time straight away .

Kim x
PrimroseHill

Mel - Well done for finishing rads and only 1 cycle left after tomorrow and we are all waiting for you here on the platform sweetie. That lady was unfortunate and from what ive read it is quiet rare. You are bound to feel low too with us all talking about work, decorating, diets etc, but you are still on chemo and i just couldnt think about doing any of it whilst I was on that dreadful stuff and neither should you. Rest much, with munchies,  and look forward to us all meeting in April. All the best for tomorrow.

Judy and Moira - Forgot to mention you too last time  hope your good. Sandy. xxxx 

Guest user
Not applicable

Morning Angels - thanks for all the advice, I'm still undecided but will def be green or orange - bit scary being so bold!!

Mel - you need to remember you are still on the chemo train and none of us could have contemplated going back to work at that stage so don't be too hard on yourself.  That poor woman, what must she be going through.  It's so sad but that is the reality of this blasted disease.  I have to say it has crossed my mind, that given our numbers, chances are that one or two of us may discover further issues down the line - sorry to be depressing Angels but that's the very sad reality.  I'm sure we'll all be here for each other come what may!

Lynn - glad to hear your mum is getting on ok

Amber - I'm planning on starting xmas shopping when I go to Florida on 31 Oct.  You must be going away soon?

Looking forward to a busy weekend.  Going for dinner with my daughter, her boyfrined and his parents tomorrow night.  First time we have met them so need to be sure not to embarras Lauren Woman LOL  Then out with the girls on Saturday night for a few refreshments at the local.  Needless to say, Sunday will be a quiet day....

take care Angles

Pauline xx

LNMcG

Morning  Angels 

Oh Mel I feel for you when you hear other people's stories and they have been through the mill , it is depressing.  We just need to hope it is not going to happen to us, we are all the good news stories we read.  Congrats in finishing rads , another step over.

Amber get you Christmas shopping  it must be nice shopping for your grand children.

Pauline hope you manage to decide, I have lime green and shiny beige cushions although my one wall that is papered is a,cream flower,   Orange would look good too.

My mum got on fine yesterday she is just taking it all in her stride, spoke to her last night and she gave,me a row for doing too much, I went into town yesterday after my rads,and had lunch with a friend then by the time I walked back to the car park I was exhausted.  May be I should listen to her.  Hope all the rest of you Angels are doing ok  take care Lynn x 

Mel_A

Mel well done for finishing your rads. Don't worry about work until you have to. My skin is very sore now and turning very dark. I wasn't given any dressings, just told to avoid putting cream on and let the air get to it if it breaks down.
I'm hoping to go back to work after half term. In some ways I want to go back now to see my friends and have some normality, however I am a bit nervous about going back to a stressful job and finding it too much.
Well done Christmas shoppers and decorators 🙂
Amber_D

Mel, congrats on getting through Rads, well done., good luck for tomorrow you're nearly there xx
maisiecake

Hi all

I'm in awe of all you people who are going back to work. i feel so far away now from my job I can't imagine going back. like you Lynn I'm going to have to really build up my strength and stamina before i will be able to cope. I suppose i've still got 2 cycles of chemo to go so i'm a bit behind the rest of you. My pay stops in January, but i don't think i'll be up to going back then, so i'll just have to take longer. i will definitely get a phased return. at the moment i still sleep at some point in every day! feeling quite pathetic! keep thinking i should be trying to eat better, but just can't face it. have just eaten a whole bag of popcorn in bed.

i had last rad today. Thought i'd feel a bit of a high, but it was completely overshadowed by meeting a woman in the clinic whose tumor was back just 2 months after being given the all clear in January. She spent all last year going through this crap, 8 weeks off and then started all over again with a mx. i know this is unusual, but it has really depressed me.

My skin under my boob is turning black and nipple, and is v sore. i was given ONE dressing in clinic in case it actually breaks down ( not sure what this actually means) and told to go to gp for more. feeling really miserable so i'll stop before I depress you all!

next chemo on Friday- blood count was ok.

sleep well angels, Mel xxx

CazP

I have been making a few changes round the house too and have opted for a lime green wallpaper on one wall to go with my new dark grey sofas. However also a fan of orange - just bought an orange skirt on a recent retail therapy outing - so both get a thumbs up from me Pauline! Smiley Happy

Amber_D

Evening Girls,

Dare I say it but I've started Xmas shopping! Just hope I remember where I've hidden things when December comes. Retail therapy is great! Pauline sounds like your living room will be lovely, I like orange and green but think I'd maybe go for lime green but whatever you choose will be nice. We certainly look at things differently now , I keep telling the kids if they want something just get it and live each day to the max.
Those of you on the Rads train seem to getting there, at least it will soon be over and you can dance on the platform again. Lynn hope your Mum gets on ok tomorrow .
I truly admire all you ladies going back to work or already there especially when the s/e are still lingering. I was fortunate enough to be able to give up work a couple of years ago. However it gave me the opportunity to be able to look after my grandchildren so my daughter could work, so I'll be getting back into the school run on a permanent basis after the holidays. It allows me the best of both worlds especially spending time with them and getting all the news from their day at school.
Wishing you all a goodnights sleep xx
Spikey

Pauline,

I have oak wood floors, beige leather sofa and cream walls accented with red and orange cushions and rugs so I'd vote for orange in your house too! Well done for getting stuck in to decorating, I haven't got that side effect yet! 🙂

I like your return to work plan, maybe I'll do something similar where more of my days are at home than in the office for a good few weeks. I'm hoping that long term I can plan to work from home one day per week permanently,  not sure if I'll get that but I'm going to try for it.

Kate

x

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Angels - just back from shopping - new lamps for the bedroom, cabinet for the en suite and armed with wallpaper samples for the living room.  I'm determined to get all the things done that I have been putting off!  A bit of advice please from the creative among you.  I've bougt a new sofa which arrives in November - lovely deep tan leather.  I have wooden floors in darkish wood and dark wood side tables etc.  I'm planning on keeping walls light / neutral with a feature wall papered  -need to decide on splash of colour for wallpaper and accessories.  I'm not that creative but thinking either pale green or Orange - what do you think????

I'm also ramping up work from next week.  Plan for next few weeks is to go into office one day a week for a few hours and do a few hours from  home each day.  I'll gradually build this up between now and the end of the year and hopefully more or less back to full time in the new year.  I work from home 2 days a week anyway, which will really help.  I've also agreed not to take my team back on until the new year so thats an added bonus as will take away the risk of getting dragged back into things too quickly.

Hope Judy, Lori and Angie are ok?

need to go for now, friend just chapped door !xx

Spikey

Morning Angels,

Sandy - my treatments aren't over yet, I am still doing radiotherapy, 8 of 15 in about 3 hours time so I will be just passed half way. I'm also doing Tamoxifen for another 9 years and 10 months or there abouts Smiley Wink

Your job sounds a lot more strenuous than mine, my drive to/from might be longer but when I'm there I don't have horses to look after!

Lynn, I work full-time normally too but I'm going back phased return and am not expecting to be full-time until before Xmas and some of the time I'm going to be doing will be from home so I won't have the drive to/from on top of the hours I do that day. My first day is expected to be about 2 hours in the office so all told that will be about 4 hours out of the house.........I'm looking forward to it but a bit worried about how I'll feel the next day if tiredness does hit.

Philomena, do they retire you with an ill health pension if you aren't fit enough to work for them? I hope so and you can then get a part-time job to keep you busy rather than need to work for the money as much. Hope it works out right for you.

Caz, I have the same mindset as you, I thought I'd be running around as normal by now but that isn't the case, I still do stuff but then sit down and can't get up again - I'm either asleep or too stiff to move! I'm hoping that doing a little often will make the progress quicker so my walking to town has increased in speed over the past few weeks (doesn't do the hot flushes any good but hopefully is doing me some!) in the hope that this will kick start every joint into life!

Off to get my place in the queue for rads, with my sandwiches as my appointment is 12.36 so expect to be there until at least 1.30! 

Hope you all have a nice day

Kate

x

PrimroseHill

Morning Angels

Kate - I'm so glad your port removal went well. Are all your treatments over now? That is a long drive to and from work.

Mel A - I'm going to look up the chorella. I'm too being really healthy at the moment with lots of fresh fruit, veg and fish and toast. Still can't shift the weight even though i have one working pony back and three living out. So am back to work looking after 4 equines and teaching one hour per night and one on Saturday.

Cazp - I know when I have done too much physical exercise. My legs go like lead weights and with the nature of my job I have been told not to overdo it and not to take any painkillers to get by. Not easy when youve got a skitso thoroughbred on the end of a lead rein when it's windy. But i'm doing everything I can to reduce any risks but the surgeon did say I may have to look at a career change due to right arm strain and Lymphodema risks. 

Philomena - So I know how you feel. The whole BC experience forces you to make decisions that none of us would have dreamed about this time last year and the chances of my getting employed now with this dx is low. But for you having  worked in the NHS hopefully it will be easier,  maybe working in the BC field. A BC nurse from Boston NHS was sent to see me at the beginning when I felt really low. She was 8 months after treatment and had a huge arm affected with lymphodema wrapped in a bandage and thin spikey hair regrowth and clearly only one boob. Made me feel soooo much better. Lol. But she was lovely and so happy and upbeat despite it all that her visit did the job.

Lynn - Don't feel guilty for not going back to work. Look after you now and only do what you feel.

Moira - How's the decorating coming along. Looking lovely I hope. (Maybe I could become an internal decorator). lol.

Rozz - Hope the rest of your rads treat you kindly.

Pauline - and Mel -  Amber - Saturday sounds like a great plan. Can't wait.

Lori - How about you?

Debra - How are you doing?

Diggy - Another one. Fab.

Fecinora - Sorry you can't make it. Maybe the next April after eh?

Going to hang the washing out now. Take it easy angels. Sandy xxxxx

fecinora

Pauline, sorry I wont make the April get together.

I had my last chemo 23rd July, finger and toe nails still coming out, feet still tender and numb, not much happening with hair or eyebrows. I'm Triple negative also. 

Philomena, will you be sorry to give up work, or can you take the money and run?

I did some prison  nursing, but I'm not getting my rads till November, so dont think I'll be doing any sort of nursing for a while - raggy finger nails look awful and probably an infection risk,  long wig not allowed, dont suppose  head gear would be allowed......

Best wishes to everyone xx

LNMcG

Evening Angels
Glad I am not the only one with heavy legs, getting in and out of the car today I felt like an old women.
I had my no 7 rads of 19 today skin is a bit itchy,and warm to the touch, trying not to scratch.
A lot of you are back at work or talking about going back, I don't feel ready yet, I work full time and feel it would be too much just now even with phased return. I want to get my fitness up to a higher level before I go back to the stress factory. Feeling a wee bit guilty I don't want too, as I know it would be back to normal.
My mum starts her 15 rads tomorrow, she has been really well and back at the bowling.
Looking forward to meeting you all in Manchester . Have a good night sleep well Lynn x
Rozz

Hi everyone,

I’ve just had a nearly normal day!  This afternoon I walked back from our kitchenette to my desk, at my normal pace, without even thinking about it (instead of feeling every step until my legs got going again). Of course, the day started with a dose of rads which isn’t normally on the agenda, but after work I walked home from the station took the dog for a walk in the gathering dusk  (bit scary in the woods!) then came home and cleaned my kitchen, made my dinner and sorted some washing out. I may pay for it tomorrow, but its nice to be able to string activities together again without collapsing. I’m quite glad not to be going into work again this week though – 2 days is enough to start with, but I can do some stuff from home too.

Mel – my Onc mentioned hydrocortisone cream too, my skin had started to itch a bit, but to wait until it got a lot worse; not needed it so far.

Kate – thanks for the info on the portacath, its helped me to decide on the local – I don’t want to waste a day recovering from the general. Hope your scar’s invisible! Mine was perfect to start with, but suffered from a large droopy boob pulling on it while I got over the MX. 

Pauline – I’m getting used to the idea that SE’s will be part of life for a few more months. I guess they may pop back again now and then too.  Yesterday I was stiff as a board, today practically normal, I guess we have to just go with the flow.

Weather’s gone mad, warm and balmy this evening I’m back to no socks (good with mitchelin feet!) and no coat neither.  Just a pity its getting dark so early.

Night all, sleep tight!

Roz

CazP

Pauline, sorry for late reply but count me in for 2 nights in Manchester and happy to share. 

When I went for my rads today I went in search of my nurse from chemo to ask about the muscle/joint pain as it isn't lessening and is also keeping me awake at night. She suggested oily fish in diet and taking cod liver oil as chemo can affect the lubrication in the joints, also paracetamol as preferrred painkiller for joint pain. As for muscles she said I am effectively in the same position as someone who had not done much exercise pre dx, and so should build up slowly, rather than attempt to resume what I was doing. I don't think she thought my 20 mile bike ride was building up slowly, although I did!

Mentally, I am finding the last couple of weeks harder than the last few months, maybe because I thought I would feel better than I do at this stage and the reality is that some of these s/e's could go on for months.  Only one week into rads so 4 more to go. A work assessment should take place towards the end of this when at least I will be more aware how well I think I can cope with a return to work, but already phased return has been mentioned.

Take care, angels.

Philomena_b

Evening Angels, hope your all well with minimal s/e.
I am now 2 weeks post rads and all is well, no longer tender just looks the same colour of an antique mahogony dresser.....
Really looking forward to the get together and not bothered which dates as should be able to make it either way. As I lived in Manchester for 10 years it will also give me a chance to catch up with my mancunian mates.
Just some advice required from the Angels who had problems like me with there veins during chemo! My veins are still a real mess and the problems has now gone to the upper arm and have noticed today that I have significant lymphodema in that arm!!! Spent so much time worrying I would get it in the affected arm I never really checked the other but it's about twice the size of the other. Just wondering if anyone one else has noticed similar.
Nice to here all of you getting ready to return to work, this will not be happening for me as I work for the prison service and due to the nature of the place I will no longer be fit enough to return, so awaiting decision on retirement. Either way I will not be returning, so back to the NHS for me.
Onwards and upwards Angels xx
Amber_D

Evening Ladies,

Diggy, congrats on finishing your treatment , hope your toe heals soon.
A lot of us seem to be still suffering from the aches and pains , wonder how long it lasts mine have been very sore today.
Rozz, well done going into work, got everything in the right order!
Kate bet your glad Portacath is out now
Sandy , you won't miss us, Iam sure we shall have a presence in the hotel ! We should start with lunchtime drinkies and see what happens
Mel, never heard of Chlorella must look it up
Pauline, it's getting exciting now, so looking forward to the meet up
Judy, Lori, Angie you all ok ?

The sun has gone, been cold here today, doesn't it get dark early now? Meeting a friend for lunch tomorrow so will try and stay healthy, take care everyone xx

Mel_A

Hi Sandy
My hubby's not into spas etc, so will probably just come for the evening meal and night out if other partners are going too. If not he'll pick me up at the end of the night.
Pauline I'm still getting random SEs. The other day I had some nerve pain on the inside of my right knee, which hurt to touch. That had gone the next day. Bizarre! I'm ploughing myself with healthy food and supplements now to try to boost my immune system. Chlorella is an interesting supplement and worth looking up.
Glad the portacath removal went ok Kate. 🙂
Guest user
Not applicable

Morning ladies

Had a bit of a strange day yesterday!  I've still been having some aches and pains since finishing chemo but yesterday my legs were really sore - it felt like I was in the middle of tax, what's that about??  Had to take strong pain killers but woke this morning and seems back to normal - very strange!!

Sandy - sounds like a plan for the Saturday, I'm sure we will def do pre dinner drinks and an evening meal (and post dinner drinks !!) so hopefully you will be able to stay over with your SIL and not have to go home! I imagine during the day there will be people floating about the hotel doing lunch, drinks etc in between spa's so I'm sure there will be some of us around when you arrive Woman Very Happy

There's still a few ladies we've not heard from yet so will give it another few days before we finalise and book up - very exciting Woman LOL

Take care Angels

Pauline x

Spikey

Morning Angels

Sandy, I'm hoping for all three.....evening meal, afternoon tea and drinks!
Rozz, I was only offered local for the port removal but it was fine, some odd sensations but no pain. I went to theatre at 2.30 and was back in my room at 3.15 and allowed to leave about 4.30 having eaten, drunk and been to toilet. They are the same checks you have for day case general so I think it was just a routine they do. I have no stitches on the outside just glue so scar should be minimal. The surgeon decided the initial scar wasn't good enough so he cut that out to allow new skin to heal rather than the existing scar tissue. Not sure what difference it will make but he seemed to think it will give a better result.......the previous scar looked fine to me! 🙂
Diggy, your toe nail problem doesn't sound good, hope it gets better soon.

I keep reading that you all seen to be heading back to work, I have another 2 weeks before I go back and am actually looking forward to it....although not sure how long I'll be there on the first day, its a 30 mile drive to get there so however long I do I need to make sure I can stay awake to drive home again!

Have a good day
Kate
X

PrimroseHill

Morning Angels

Pauline - Absolutely forgot to look to see when Easter Week was when I posted yesterday so I do apologize . Anyway we are going to travel early Saturday to spend the day with you all and then head back late evening or stay with OH son in Manchester. That way if we are called back we won't be tied to a hotel but will still manage to meet on the Saturday. Thank you for organising us all.

Mel - Are you still bringing your OH? I would still love mine to come. 

Would we be meeting for evening meal, afternoon tea, or evening drinkies. Would hate to get there and miss you all. Sandy. xxx 

Rozz

Sorry, forgot to say 2 nights please!

Rozz

Rozz

Hi All,

Pauline, thanks so much for organising our get-together.  Apart from preferring to avoid Easter I'm completely flexible and happy to share with any of you lovely ladies.

Kate - I'm still "wearing" my portacath - chap who deals with them seems to be moonlighting as he only does them in the evening, which means an overnight stay, which interferes with rads. Are you having a general or local?  I'm thinking I'll be brave and avoid getting over the general again...  Good luck anyway.

Diggy - toe problem sounds very painful, I hope it heals soon.  So annoying that the SE's continue while we're trying to get back to real life again, isn't it.

Been to work today (after rads, and massage so not exactly a full day!) then yoga - only 90? I felt 104 at least!  Really stiff muscles as if I'd been running or something equally silly (for me).  Water retention isn't helping, apart from making me look like the michelin man's daughter, it also makes my arm and ankle really inflexible.  Can't wait for it to sort itself out.

I started Tamoxifen last Thursday. Hot flushes not too bad, but becoming more frequent. This is annoying as I'd just about finished with the menopause and now it seems to be starting again.

Moan over.  I'm still planning my 'healthy eating plan'. Instead of spending hours planning every last morsel I intend to put into my mouth, then ignoring it, I'm thinking of just changing one thing a week (e.g. eat 5 fruits/veggies) but as I say, I'm still planning.....!

Love & hugs,

Rozz