cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone due to start chemo in April? - Awesom April Angels

fecinora

Re: Anyone due to start chemo in April? - Awesom April Angels

Angie, Judy and all,

Sorry, but my hair is definitely whiter and sparser than anyones and is not coming out in public for a long time!!

Fallen out nails are slowly growing in, but the ones yet to fall out seem to have slowed down to the speed of an ATOS claim process.

Angie, theres a thread somewhere on wrong things to say to us - its a very long thread........

I have my rads dates now, so that's my November gone. Still waiting for BRCA result, but onc said if its not in I should start rads anyway. This makes sense, but its not ideal - I'm really hoping for result before I start in case I will need mx.

Please let me know if anyone has any advice on this thanks.

Best wishes to all xxx

angiepops

hi all

been to work again, its getting better, i didnt feel tired at all today just a little bit stiff. i actually worked as well! the hair is  starting to grow now, i only wear my wig when i go out, if anyone comes here i just leave my head out as normal. one person visiting asked why i had had such a short haircut with winter coming? so i just said 'it fell out' then he said oh yea, i forgot!? we all just sat looking at each other very awkwardly!? he had been passing me in the car going to work and thought i had hair already. probably shouldnt have irritated me but it did.

caz p - cool hair, thats a nice comment  :  )

mel A  - be nice to go to wales. ive got bio oil but i havent tried it yet.

lori - thats exactly right, salt and pepper hair colour, have we all got that colour.

philomena - are you in australia? lol

kate - woohoooooooooo

lynn - ive got tamoxifen too, maybe ask when i get my eyes tested, thats worth knowing.

debra - well done you!

maisocake - hope youre feeling ok

moira - maybe we'll all have christmas pixies haircuts come december

kim - are you feeling better in yourself, i  think i am, people think i'm more like myself too

judy - yuk  ive got 2 fingernails that i snagged which i'm hoping stay on cos i look like an old bag lady with the brown nails as it is.

have a good weekend ladies.

angie xx

Judyd

Kim your gonna have to upload a photo of yourself so I don't feel as bad. I've just checked out Moira, lynn, Philomena and Mel's photos and you all look fab with even growing hair. I have the bald horseshoes at the front. It's fine at the back and sides but really thin and far back up my head.
I think my hair is the whitest too.

2 complete toe nails have just fallen off too! Yuk!😱
KimG

Hi everyone

Congratulations Kate on finishing the rads.
Mel - my skin began to break down a couple of days before my rads finished, it was very sore and weeping and gradually got worse over the following 2 weeks, the special latex dressings really helped, it turned the corner on Wednesday and it has now virtually healed and I have lovely new pink skin all along the underside of my boob and I can wear a bra again.
I'll have to try and upload a picture as I do have a good covering of white/grey hair at the back and side of my head but the front is still quite sparse and it is still extremely short. My eyebrows and eyelashes have also made an appearance, bit they are still quite short.
I called In to work yesterday and have arranged a phased return to work from the beginning of November. I'm looking forward to getting back into the swing of things 🙂 this week couple of people have mentioned that I am more like my old self and I must admit I have far more energy and I'm starting to take more interest in things that are going in around me. Hopefully this will continue 🙂
Tomorrow I'm going to start getting the holiday clothes out ready for my holidays next Saturday,
Hope everyone has a great weekend

Kim x
Mosiecat

Hello Angels,
Have been reading your posts but not posting for the last few days. Been feeling a bit flat.
Congratulations Debra on completing your treatment and to Kate for getting through the rads too. Not long now for you too, Lynn. How is the skin doing? Mine is merrily peeling away under my boob but all the pain and discomfort has gone - I'm more than two weeks post rads now.
Thank you Judy and Philomena for discussing how to upload a picture. As you can see I managed it! I have eyebrows that are about the same length as my hair but there's a lot more colour in the eyebrows.
Jessie J was on the tv last week and I was very envious of her lovely, long locks. You never know, by Christmas we might all be there too!
Moira xxx
maisiecake

Hi aangels
Just a quickie- Debra - welldone lovely for getting to the end of chemo, it's a long road for us CMF ladies but you did it. CONGRATULATIONS
Make sure you celebrate as much as you can with the ses. Hope they're Not tooo bad and go quick.
I had another CMF dose yesterday. Have been awake most of night and usual nausea. I have one more cycle to go finish on november 1St if it goes according to plan.At least rads is done! Have got some dressings now as skin under boob has broken down and is v sore.
JUDY I know exactly what you mean about scar. When the fluid was drained off mine and a cavity appeared I cried. It was a shock I think because I only had WLE and had been told there would be a scar but noone mentioned hole and lumps. I've been referred back to the original surgeon now to see if anything can be done with the scar as I think it has tethered to the tumor bed. I'm Sure we all have issues with whatever were left with and hopefully things will improve with time. I do fret about it though- maybe counselling would help me?
Loving the hair talk and can't wait to experiment when mines a bit longer.
Hugs to all love mel xxx
Mel_A

Well done Kate for finishing rads. Not long now Lynn.
Judy I was advised to use bio oil on my scar, which did seem to help it fade.
Happy retirement Philomena 🙂
Have a lovely weekend everyone. xxx
Amber_D

Evening Angels,

Just a quick post, congrats to Debra for reaching the platform, well done it's been a long journey. Kate well done on finishing Rads, party time. All the best to all the rads ladies. First outing today without a wig, scarf or hat, it was easier than I thought so think I might do the same tomorrow . Do you think Rod might take pity on my baldy head and ask me on stage !!!

Have a great weekend everybody xxxx
Spikey

whooohooo rads is finished! Lynn, hope the 4 boosters aren't too bad and you get that champagne next week! I shall be having a glass with my afternoon tea tomorrow in London as a celebration! I feel so glad the treatment is all over, I'm just counting the days (maybe I should stick to years as days is too big a number) until tamoxifen finishes now!

Hope you all have a great weekend, whether it be home or away! Its great to see everyone starting to get out and about a bit more.
Kate
x
LNMcG

Evening Angels

Congratulations Kate last rads today I had no 15 today just 4 boosters to go. Roll on next Friday champagne on ice.

Phenomena I hope you are pleased to be finishing work, no more work stress for you.  You are so brave to go out wigless I have not been brave enough yet, the most I have done is answer the door to the postman and today I got a Tesco delivery and did not wig up, I will get there eventually it is just so short still.  Your eyebrows are looking good I booked an appointment today to get my nails and toenails done for my holiday, if I have enough eyebrows by then I will definitely get mine tinted they are so fair.

Amber hope you have a great holiday.

Judy you are the technical one, I have a virus on my. Laptop think I need you to help me fix it, my son has promised to have a look hopefully tonight.

Lori enjoy York lovely place spent a weekend there a few years ago.

Mel a enjoy your break in Wales my daughter lived there fir a couple of years just outside Cardiff.

Debra congratulations s on Surviving chemo  welcome to the platform.

I had my regular check up at the opticians yesterday as I wear contacts he was really pleased with my eyes no deterioration I think he was surprised he says the tamoxifen can leave a film on the eye surface so wants to see me again in December. He is an independent but I have been really pleased with his service and concern.

To everyone else I have not mentioned have a great weekend. Lynn x 

Philomena_b

Cheers Judy for the help, but seem to have some how uploaded it upside down!
Thought I would show you a picture of my hair and eyebrows. They are really coming along now. I have been going topless for months and will find it really strange when the hair grows long again. I love just showering and go.
I popped into work today to give in my latest sick note, it's the first time in work without a scarf, but they all thought it suited me.
Iam being put on pensionable pay as of next month, and am waiting to find out when I will be leaving officially. Will miss my colleagues, but not my managers.
Congratulations to all those completing rads today, and very have a great weekend. Xx
Judyd

Judyd

I've just had another go on the iPad, it doesn't show an option to load a picture but you can do it on the iPad, as follows .......

My profile
Upload an avatar
Browse
Choose existing
Select photo
Save

Brings up new page: main avatar
Turn iPad around so your looking at it portrait to see and click on the save and continue at the bottom of screen

Now nothing happens
If you select about ... And your username at top. It will show you your about page, the image you just uploaded will be in your images. If you select it and click on the drop down image option and select the use image as avatar, it will become your avatar image.

It comes up success! You have a new avatar.

Hope you can understand the gobbledygook above, it does work, I promise.

Thanks for the reassurance kate, regarding the scar, as I say, I was quite happy but now it looks rubbish. I've just done the breast cancer care excercises DVD and I think that will help a lot.
Spikey

Philomena - think you can't load a new picture using an ipad as the option to load one isn't there! I've just logged on through my laptop and found the option on the avatar page which wasn't there on ipad.
Judy - keep up the walking, might not feel like its making a difference to your body but hopefully it will be helping your recovery. My scar didn't look particularly good until about a month after surgery and then it seemed to settle down and become less obvious.
I haven't been out in 'public' without hat or wig but have removed my hat in the radiotherapy waiting room as its been so hot I couldn't cope so I'm hoping that in the next few weeks I'll get more confidence to go out without head coverings. I'm going back to work next Thursday but will be wearing a hat as I think I'd feel odd without my head covered. My hair is all there now, just very short so I'm hoping that if it grows the 3/4 inch per month they say it should I'll have a pixie style soon!
Weather here is miserable too Judy, rained for most of the morning but its so humid too, hopefully it will be nicer tomorrow as I'm off for a day out in London.
Have a good afternoon, I'm off for my last rads session shortly, whooohooo!
Kate
x
Judyd

Hi philomena, I've just tried and I think you need to go to your profile page and then upload a new avatar. Once you've got the image on the forum, it's a bit of messing to look at all your images and select the latest one as your avatar. It's not straight forward .

I've just uplo ded a photo of my hair, I've not had a scarf, hat or wig on since it started sprouting. I'm thinking if my head is cold, my hair will grow quicker. It's a bit breezy on the cliff tops on a morning but I think it's working.
I don't think I will be getting compliments on my hair anytime soon Caz, mine looks thin and bald on top still but it's coming on round the back.

Debra, well done for getting through chemo, really pleased for you x

mel a, I'm really proud of you, going back to school without the wig, what an inspiration for the kids.
you too diggywiggy, I've gone out bald quite a lot during all this but to go into work takes a lot of guts, well done.

Lori, enjoy York! hope you have a lovely time.

Sandy the drain is fine, it's just a pain if you get up and forget to pick the bottle up. When the bottle is full it's quite heavy so if you forget it, it gives quite a tug. The tube just goes into your body under your boob which can get quite uncomfortable with your bra by the end of the day.

I was really pleased with my scar at first, it was quite tidy but since the excess fluid was srynged out last week, it's all lumpy and bumpy, with hollows where the fluid was drained. Hopefully that will sort itself out.

I keep doing the excercises for the cording but it's not doing anything at all yet, my arm is still really painfull.

Angie, you really crack me up, I think I would have thrownt he wii out the window.
I'm still doing 5minutes a day walking on the treadmill and about half an hour walking the dog..... It has no effect on my body but I feel like I'm doing something.

That's interesting Lori about the acupuncture, I don't know if I would dare but it's good that it seems to be working.

I was going to get new glasses as it's been a few years since i had my eyes tested, might have to wait now.

Crappy weather here today, hope you all have better weather.

Amber have a lovely holiday in Spain.

Philomena_b

Hi angels, I have been trying to upload a photo from my iPad but it won't let me? Any ideas??? Xxx
lori28

Hey Debra I'm sooo pleased your finished now - well done!!
Carol I too am out and proud with my new baby hair albeit salt n pepper coloured I'm liking it short and looking forward to a little more before getting my Jessie J!!
Mel_A

Hi everyone,

I'm feeling a bit exited tonight as we've just had a mental moment and booked a last minute holiday in Wales at half term - just before I go back to work. I'm really looking forward to it. My pooch can come too so lots of nice walks and fresh air.

Debra - well done. You've got through it all despite how hard it has been for you. Get dancing on that platform. I'm really interested in going to that talk. It would be lovely to meet you in person if you are going. 🙂 Have you got any rads to go through or have you finished now?

Mel - I've got to admit I was worried about falling asleep and snoring when I went to yoga. It's bound to happen at some  point. 🙂

Amber I hope you feel good after your pampering today.

Philomena - eyebrows and lashes! I'm so jealous!

Sandy try dry eye drops for the runny eyes. It sounds daft but dry eyes can cause them to run.

Lori enjoy your time in York. I think you're right about the hugs and tears when we meet up. I can't wait.

Caz - what a lovely comment about the hair 🙂

Diggy - well done for getting that first week at work done. Good for you going wigless. My daughter asked if I will be wearing my hat when I go back to school but I said no. I'm not hiding  who I am. I told her to just tell the other kids I think I'm Jesse J if they say anything. That lady has been an icon.

Have fun on your wii fits ladies 🙂

lori28

Hi again
Thanks Debra I've been seeing a psycologist at fortnightly appointments and it does help.
Hope you have a good sleep diggy well done to you n Angie for being back to work....dunno how you do it! I've been signed off for another 3 months.
Take care all,
Lxx
diggywiggy

Evening all
I did it - went back to work! Usually do 30 hours but managed 7 hours this week over 2 half days. Feeling really tired now. Simple things were difficult -like what's my office post code. Took the plunge and left my wig off. Got grey hair but I think we should let people see us as we really are. Especially as it's breast cancer awareness month.
Lori - I've got tingling hands and feet and muscle aches too, finished chemo 2 months ago. Hope you are over your bug. I've been taking the anti depressants since DX in Jan. Helps me!
Sandy - I had the runny eyes for months and it's horrible. Got Drops from the onc but didn't really work. I wore sunglasses as the light set them off. They are okay now.
Angie - be kind to yourself and don't let the Wii put you down! You are an awesome angel and you deserve your pies!!!!
Sorry folks just don't have the energy to write more. Wishing you all a se free night . I think I'll be in bed by 9pm.
diggy wiggy
CazP

Was out shopping yesterday and a young girl commented on my 'really cool haircut'. Was well chuffed, so just thanked her rather than explain anything...

I didn't lose all my eyebrows but they got very thin and very fair. I used to have them tinted and shaped and was thinking it was just about time to try getting them done as they are now a mixture of light and dark, so look a bit strange.

Good to catch up on lots of posts. I am also loving the energy, humour and general positivity!

Carol xxx

Philomena_b

Hi Sandy, just reading about your eyesight! Before I started my chemo I had full health checks including the optician.he said don't do anything until a few months after chemo as it can affect your eyes temporarily. Also finished my chemo end of July , you should see my eyebrows now after having them tinted and waxed. Will try and take a photo.
Lots of love xx
Louis

Hello Angels,
Well that's me finished treatment too.
Lori, please contact your BC nurse and you will strart councelling which I am finding beneficial. For anyone in the Cheshire area there is an evening for ladies considering a reconstruction at Betty and Belle in Altrincham. A surgeon will be there and several ladies who have had reconstructions are willing to share their experiences.
It is on the 17th Oct from 18.30hrs.
Details on their website.
Debra. xx
lori28

Hi Ladies,
Great catching up with your posts.
I dont have a wii fit but could relate to your workout Angie, I prob would have finished off the same way.....thank god the taste of coffee and chocolate had come back!!
Ive been going to physio and pilates to try and help cording on one srm and hardened veins on the other. My other half is also helping out with massage in between sessions so think its improving.
Going to accupunture sessions too for the hot flashes, its done over 10 weeks, only had one so far and it appears to be working. I only wish there was a quick fix for my numb toes, tingly hands n feet and very achy muscles. This seems to be at its worst trying to get out of bed or out of a chair once up and on the go its not too bad. Apparently weight bearing exercise is best so since ive not shedded any weight yet im bearing my own weight just getting up ha! Think I need to try harder!!
Caught a bug so been feeking rough last two days. Cant believe I got through 6 sessions of chemo without being sick then a bug floors me with swift evacuations at both ends...nice NOT!!!
Just waiting on my In-laws arriving from Ireland for a few days, we have booked a nice little hotel in York from Saturday si hope I'm on the mend for that.
I had a dream about our meeting and we all spent the first few hours crying and hugging....probably a premonition rather than a dream me thinks.
Happy about my hair growth, not so about the grey but I'm letting it get a bit longer before I decide on colour hope youve found the dye ok. I always wrnt dark brown before but I'm thinking of doing a jessie j first off and take it from there!!
Lots of love to you all. Hope you all continue to improve.
If I dont get another post in before the weekend I wish you all a good one. Hope you have a good holiday too Amber, let us know how the spray tan goes I've always fancied getting one but too scared!! Lxx
PrimroseHill

Angie and Mel - Both of your posts had me in stitches and have inspired me to drag out the Wi- fit to charge up for tomorrow. (I too snore, so going to any kind of classes with post chemo fatigue is out for me now). Maybe we can encourage each other with our virtual decreasing Wi - Fit ages. Will let you know mine tomorrow. (Honest).

Philomena - You have eyebrows and lashes. Really?? How long did you finish chemo, I can't remember now. Wish Niamh happy birthday from us. Sounds like you all had a great day. Were going to Notts Centre Parcs. Sherwood Forest. Teaming with lots of squirrels, ducks, birds, and wildlife. Our favorite. We went to the one up north Winfell and not nearly as much wildlife there for such a rural location. Surprising.

Amber - Tangoed or not have a lovely time in Spain. Have a sangriare for me. (Or two).

Fecenora - My OH often sticks his big toe up the tap to relieve his athelites foot. May have to stick some super glue up there and call the Fire Brigade. Lol.

Rozz - Drains for 3 weeks. Really??? Oh joy!

Judy - Are the drains painful? How big are they. Sounds like something out of a horror movie.

Lori - It's lovely to hear from you. Were all so close now. When I was DX I had to have anti- depressants which got me through that tough time. They worked a treat and I stopped taking them 3 weeks later on my own.(Figure I might need the repeat prescription I kept for when I wake up with the drains). Lol.

Pauline - I too have the muscle aches and pains. It must be from the docetaxol as ive had no rads yet and my joints are ok. Do you have eyebrows and lashes yet?

I also have extremely runny eyes. Mostly if I go outside but can happen indoors on occasion. Has anyone been given anything for this? My eyesight is worse too. Never needed glasses for anything (apart from red vino) but now have shop bought low strength reading glasses. I am going to ring specsavers after this post to see if I should wait for an eyetest until the chemo effect is out, and things have had a chance to recover, or if I should have one now. I'll let you know how I get on.

I also still have the odd indigestion bout but don't know how long to take the Lansoprozole for. Any of you still on it?

All angels going through or just finishing rads my thoughts are with you and wishing you minimal side effects. Lv n hugs to you all. Sandy. xxxxxx

Philomena_b

Good afternoon Angels, nice to see there is plenty of energy out there, I'm still with the relaxing crew, snoring every where.
Had some great news this morning, my niece gave birth to a baby boy, so I am off down town to buy some baby clothes. Also going to have my eyebrows waxed and dyed as they are now back to prechemo as are my eyelashes.
Had a great time yesterday celebrating our Niamh's 13th birthday. We had a typical child's tea party with sausages on a stick, cheese and pineapple hedge hogs and lots of lovely sandwiches with the crusts cut of ( cos were posh ), washed down with Proscecco and red wine. So nice to be able to drink wine again after it tasting like poison for so long.
Forecast here for later is horrible rain..... So better go shopping.
Lovely to here you all getting better by the day. Angie so admire you, you really are a star xx
Amber_D

Morning Girls,

Lots of talk on the excercise front. I intend to join a Pilates class and maybe Yoga when I get back I've heard its good and not too strenuous. Mel, you made me laugh about falling asleep, that happened to me when I had a massage one time and I woke myself up by snoring, how embarassing!
It's a cold miserable day here so going to pack my case then getting my nails done and a spray tan this afternoon. Thought I deserved a treat, never had a spray tan before so hope I don't look like I've been tangoed!
A few of you suffering itchy boobs, it does go away so hang in there. As for the aching legs I still have that along with sensitive feet.
Angie, did you buy the Nice n Easy?
Hope all goes well with Rads girls today , take care everyone xxx
maisiecake

I used to do yoga for a long time, but I always fell asleep during the relaxation bit at the end, and embarrassingly sometimes woke myself up snoring. The teacher used to pointedly remind us to try not to fall asleep as that was not the point, but to deeply relax ,while looking in my direction. Thing was I never knew how long or loud Id snored before I woke up.  Think I might try it again......

Mel xxx

fecinora

I do some stretches every morning, a combination of excercises given by a physiotherapist for a lower back injury and some of the BCC post surgery arm  movements, but guess what - none of them were new to me, they are all variations on yoga moves from various classes I have attended over the years!

The physiotherapist said to regard the back excercises as ongoing maintainance.

If you can find a good yoga teacher, go to classes. Your body and mind will thank you. There's no substitute for a good teacher talking the class through the moves and ensuring you are doing postures safely and correctly.

Pilates is good also for 'core' strength.

Teaching relaxation is an art, not like one class I went to, when we were to envisage relaxing in the bath with all the scented tea lights and pamper stuff, then slowlt and gently put your big toe into the tap, THEN, realise it was stuck and have to call the fire brigade  (at which point we were all knotting ourselves), then a team of hunky firefighters bursts in and rescues us............Yes, honestly, we were all creased up by this point, I don't even like baths, much rather have a shower....

Mel_A

Angie your post made me laugh. I started some yoga on the wii fit last week. I found the leg exercises much easier than the arm ones. I joined a class too but had to delay it due to the soreness with rads. I'm going back next week and really want to keep it going. The stretches and relaxation will do me good and just about everything I've read about returning to health and relaxation mentions yoga or tai chi.
I've been enjoying a longer walk with the dog each morning - about an hour - but my legs are starting to feel it. They're like jelly in the afternoons. I really need to build my muscles up 🙂 The annoying thing is despite more walking and less 'enjoyable' food the scales told me today that I've put weight on in the last fortnight. I dread to think what the wii fit will say to me when I next get on it 😉
Rozz

Hi Angie,

I've been doing yoga for a few years, despite gradually getting less flexible! A class should start and end with relaxing (we all think these are the best bits!) with some movement & stretching in between. You do it within your own ability, 'listening' to your body. You won't see any immediate results, but if you concentrate when you're doing it, it should help you be calm & relaxed.. and I haven't had a backache since I started doing it.

Have fun,
Rozz
angiepops

hi rozz

believe me, i wouldnt waste a kitkat on a wii !

do you think the yoga thing is worth doing? i know nothing about it but ive seen it done at 'maggies' when i was in inverness. it looks like a steady, gentle way of getting some decent movement back and the wii does have a good selection of exercises. got to start somewhere, i wouldnt go out to do it, so i might as well use what ive got.

angie xx

Rozz

Hi Angie,
Your post made me laugh, but I hope you're not allowing a machine to make you feel bad?! You should have stuffed the kit kat into the battery compartment instead! I've been doing a yoga class on and off throughout chemo and recommend it, but chemo made all my muscles stiffen up so I'm struggling to do the basics now. I couldn't manage 3 days at work on the trot, and I don't think any of the other AAAs could either,yet, so be nice to your body - its doing its best!

Hope those of you still on chemo are ok; it won't be long before you're done. Also those with rads burns; keep slapping on the stuff.

Virtual hugs to all,
Rozz
angiepops

hi all

had a crappy day at work, legs didnt want to walk, arms didnt want to stretch so i thought i'd get my wii fit board out and loosen up a bit............

it might as well have said 'oi fatty, how many pies have you had?'  it weighed me and did my bmi and said i was obese and 6 years older than i am - bit cheeky isnt it!! so i did a bit of slalom racing and had a walk with a virtual  cat and burned up some calories lol. then the batteries started playing up so i put the telly back on and got a coffee and a kitkat.

actually i got it out to look at the yoga options to try and loosen me up a bit, when i get new batteries i might get to have a proper look.

hope you are all well, we seem to be picking up just lately dont we.

angie the pie gobbler

xx

Mel_A

Hi everyone,
I'm loving the energy in the group as we're reacjing the end of treatment and doing more. This week is the first week in months where I've not had loads of aches and pains and I've had enough energy to take my dog for a decent walk in a nature area after dropping my daughter off at school. Up until this week we've been walking around the block and playing fetch on a nearby field.
My rads area is a lot less sore now, but peeling like crazy. I've been able to wear my genie bra and comfy today for the first time in a while. I've been going braless and monoboob for over a week, with big baggy tops. The advantage of an A cup 😉
Amber it sounds like you've got some lovely treats in store. A concert and a holiday -fab! Have a great time.
Judy massages can also help with the cording. I had tingly pains and nerve pain for a little while after my op. It felt like my arm pit was chapped. I was told it was all the nerves etc settling down.
Kate that was a good turn around for a clear out. I wonder if my daughter will go for that as a motivation to actually get rid of some of her toys.
Lynn your energy will start to come back after rads. The appointments themselves are very tiring. Rest while you can.
Enjoy the rest of the afternoon ladies. xx
LNMcG

HI Angels

I've had the itchy skin too saw nurse last week after rads she gave me hydro gel to put on skin and told me to take ani histamine said the rads makes the body produce hystemine.  The gel is really messy. Sticks to everything but the itch goes for a while. All the dressings I have are too small.

Glad your energy returning Roz mine is still low my appts are all in the afternoon this week so that's all I've done go there and knit hats.

Hope you get back out and about soon Mel nothing worse than being stuck in doors.

Take it easy with exercises Judy you don't want to do yourself an injury.

Hope the ticket is a winner Kate, one of my school friends worked  beside a guy who won 2 million just last week needless to say he has resigned.  Someone's got to win it.

I think it is expected we will have some tingly  pain during after Rads Angie  read it somewhere I think. Can't remember where.

Amber hair back on my legs too absolutely no eyelashes, eyebrows are so fine and fair can't see them hair on head not growing fast enough wish I had the confidence to go au natural.  I got another wig which is better than the original  should do me untill I've got a bit more mine is all different lengths and fuzzy at some bits.

Kate I could do with having a car boot sale so much unwanted stuff in my garage will get the strength to get rid of it some day lol.

Mel hope the last Chemo is not too bad.

Everyone else sleep well I've become a bit of a night owl these days. ( knitting)

Take care Lynn x 

Rozz

Hi all,

Judy – I had twinges and itching on my mx scar for a while – I still get occasional twinges. I have a big patch of skin with no feeling in it – although sometimes that bit itches and when I scratch it I can’t feel the scratching!  Weird, but normal I think.  Hope the cording gets better soon.

Phillomena – fingers crossed for the angio results  Don’t go mad on the power trainer in the meantime tho!  What cake did your daughter decide on?  I used to love making cakes for my boys when they were young.

Angie – thanks for the tip on camisoles & tight t-shirts.  I did a bit of googling but decided to wait and see if I get a problem. The skin on my chest is quite pink and a bit itchy but I haven’t resorted to the hydrocortisone cream yet. (apparently better to use this than scratch the itch!)   I’m over half way there now, but 5 weeks feels like a loooonnnng time!  I know exactly what you mean about walking like a starfish – me too!

Mel – I’m with you on the boob-outing.  If my skin reacts badly I’ll stay indoors (except for dog-walking, in a big coat).  I can cope with stupid hair, but not unfettered mono-boob!   Hope your skin settles down soon.

My energy is coming back, unless I do something really stupid like running up stairs. I’m planning a trip to John Lewis tomorrow as a test run.  BTW – my recent weight loss was water, now watch out fat!

Hope all you other ladies are coping ok (or having too much fun to post!)

Rozz

maisiecake

Hi all

All of you who are itching - i have very itchy boob following rads. I'm 6 days post rads now also skin started to peel off today. Finding it difficult to leave the house as can't wear bra and I'm an FF as well.  Just not happy to take them out in public so to speak.

Amber - Rod Stwart - so jealous. sounds like you've got a fab weekend planned.

Kate- I'm dreaming of hair too! I have a fair smattering that starts to grow then when I have CMF it thins again on top and receeding hairline. It's stuck at about 2 mm. Had to shave legs today though- still no eyelashes! How unfair!

Angie - hope you're feeling better after couple of days off. look after yourself.

Enjoy centre parcs Sandy- make sure you relax!!

Judy - I've had all sorts of pains and tingling/numbness etc for ages after surgery. Most of it has settled down now, but not cmpletely gone. Registrar said it may never go completely, especially round lymph nodes because of nerve damage. It's not bothering me any more though.

love to everyone else sleep tight!

Mel xxx

Judyd

Angie, I've got a lot of tingly itchy pains around my scar , plus a feeling as if I've been punched where my boob should be, but I think that pain is down to me going overboard on the arm exercises as I'm trying to get the cording to snap. I thought the tingle, itchy thing was just the scar heeling. I wonder if it's the tamoxifen.
Spikey

Amber - sounds like you have a busy weekend ahead including getting on holiday! Enjoy.
Angie - I haven't got pain but I have tingly itching which I assume is the start and I did have soreness around my drain scars last week and they said scars feel rads first so I'm assuming the itching is rads too.
I'm not brave enough to go out without a hat on yet so colouring my hair isn't going to be high priority - growing it is more my focus, just not sure how to get it to grow quicker! Mine certainly isn't an inch long, I dream of having hair that long! 🙂

My rads appt was over and done and I was on my way home before the appt time........I thought it was a miracle and on the way home I saw 8 magpies so I'm getting a lottery ticket for tonight! 🙂

Hope everyone is okay
Kate
x
angiepops

i all

quick question to mastectomy girls - i'm getting  a lot of tingly pains around my scar - is anyone else? wondering if it may also be a delayed rads thing?

had 2 days off work so its not that ive done too much.

angie xx

definately going to get a nice & easy tommorow amber!

Amber_D

Afternoon Angels,

Gosh we've all been so busy over the last few days, great to read all your news.

Kate, I have had to shave my legs all be it fluff , eyebrows are comming back but eyelashes very sparse. It's them I want the most! I have nearly an inch on my head, got hubby to measure it last night how sad is that. Used Nice n Easy colour last night and really pleased with it, the grey is covered yippee . It only lasts 8 washes so can apply again easily. Well done on the car boot sale, I could probably make a fortune if I set my mind to it and have a good clear out in the process.
Pauline, congrats on the weight loss well done. I still haven't got round to trying the ifit but have lost 6lbs so chuffed. My legs and feet are very sore, how long can this last! Be good to get booked for the meet up , exciting times ahead.
Angie, good to know the muscle aches are from Rads at least if anything we are all in the same boat and hopefully it will go soon. Well done on being back at work, try not to do too much though.
Philomena , hope your results are ok
Judy, great news on your scan results, I see my Onc in a couple of weeks and am going to ask for one. Treadmill, you go girl.
Lori, lovely to hear from you, glad your getting some support, take it easy and be kind to yourself
Sandy, hope you enjoy Centre Parcs it will be a nice break.

Apologies for not mentioning everyone my concentration is limited and Iam so tired today.
Ideal home exhibition went well, we will be doing some alterations to the house hopefully Nov so it was useful. Oh has bought another car, boys and toys but we won't get it until after our hols. So off to Spain on Sunday, weather is going to be high 20's according to forecast so that will be good. Got a date with Rod Stewart at the new Hydro on Sat night and staying at Knock Castle Fri night so I need to get my butt in gear as I haven't looked out any clothes etc.

Take care Angels have a lovely evening xxx
Spikey

Afternoon Angels

Judy - great news on the treadmill, I was told to do as much walking as I felt up to after surgery so I walked every day but outside rather than on a treadmill. I have 4 more rads sessions and then have to see cosmetic surgeon in Oct or Nov about reconstruction - expecting it to be scheduled sometime the middle of next year but will have to see what he says. I am 85% sure I'm going for diep with the 15% being that I want to hear him say its the right thing for me too or at least for him to sound comfortable that its right for me.

I have hair on my head that is about 1/2cm long, my eyelashes and eyebrows are back, my lady garden is on its way back. Shockingly I had to shave under my arms and my legs at the weekend - that's just not on! I also have very fine white fluffly hair growing at my sideburns, suspect it was always there before but I didn't notice it as I had hair over it but now its got nothing to hide it I've noticed it! So far I haven't found any other hair I don't want! Smiley Very Happy

Angie - good to hear you are taking it easy at work and that you have some answers about your aching muscles. My stiffness is definitely muscles so I suspect its tamoxifen for me too, hopefully what the nurse said on livechat on thursday is correct and all side effects normally settle down in the first 3 months - I'm relying on that being true as I can't cope with hot flushes for ever!

Philomena - hope your 13 year old doesn't request a cake that's too complex! If they are off school hopefully there will be helping hands in making it as well as requesting it!

Pauline - well done on the weight loss! I would love to lose a stone but having lost over half a stone last year I got diagnosed with BC so I'm not risking that again! 🙂

We had nice weather at the weekend which was lucky as my OH and I did our very first car boot sale! We sold a lot of my mother-in-laws ornaments and nick-nacks that no-one wanted. We sat in the sun making money - £128 profit in 3 hours! My OH even said he'd do one again as long as we have some stuff to sell which I know we have in the loft!

Hope everyone else is okay and not having too many SE's

Kate

x

angiepops

hi all

i consulted my macmillan nurse today about the muscle aches and why am i walking like a starfish? but it seems its not the chemo, its the rads. delayed side effects being muscle aches - chemo would have been joint pains as well. so it should be gone soon, paracetomol if its too bad. so pauline - if youre joints are ok - its the rads.

mel A- had a look at the pauls cancer website, it looks good, especially with the input from the centre.

Rozz - i had no bra for rads but had a crop top instead with a softie pinned to it and then had a bit tighter tshirt over that,  to keep the boob(s) in control. theres nothing to stick too tight to your skin then.

Judy - ive got eyebrows, the white hair but no eyelashes too. Got hairy legs though.........  ive been refurbishing rooms, sewing and doing really lame jobs at work, so not really wonder woman.

Philomena - yes i'd make them all have a picc line too.

hope youre all well

angie x

Philomena_b

Afternoon Angels,
Sorry to here some of you are still getting s/e from the the chemo, as I've always said it is really nasty stuff.
All you angels back at work are an inspiration. Thanks for the support for chemo nursing! Fortunetly I have always been good at cannulation, but think I would suggest that all chemo patients should have a PICC line to prevent the mess that is now my right arm,
I had the ct angiogram this morning and will now have to wait for it tobe reported on then for my cardiologist to call me up with the results, so the wait continues. Very impressed Judy with your starting on your fitness regime . I was going to start when I got my results but think I will take a leaf out of your book and start now. We have got a brand new power trainer that my neighbour was through ing out. I will just stop if the pain comes back. Also very impressed about your rosehip syrup. It's amazing that these hard red seeds can produce such a lovely taste. I am now constantly on the lookout. Also looking out for sloes to make some gin for Xmas. With this endless supply of fruits I could almost turn this into a small cottage industry and wouldn't have to go back to work.
Now off to pick youngest up from basketball practice, she will be thirteen on Wednesday ! Where did the time go!!!!!
We have got the day off tomorrow as the schools are on strike, so she will be putting in her order for birthday cake, let's hope it's not too complicated!
Have a good week angels xx
Judyd

Well I'm really chuffed with myself, I've just done 5 minutes on the treadmill.... Only walking mind, don't want to get carried away, but I've started. I finished with a ginger biscuit to celebrate, I know I shouldn't have, but I intend to go on again for another five minutes later on.
Another reason to celebrate, I've just shaved my dads hair with the number 3 blade, don't know how long that makes it, but my hair is now officially longer than my dads again! I've still got the bald receding horseshoes at the front but it's getting there... Mostly white though but at least it's hair.
My eyebrows are back but I still don't have any eyelashes at all.

Pauline I had the leg aches and pains yesterday, what's that about eh! I'm not taking any chances today, I had my tamoxifen first thing this morning followed by an ibuprofen.... No leg pains today!

MelA glad you had a nice meal out. I'm thinking of getting the razor out for my legs but it's just starting to come through really fine. It's sickening that the hairs already started to come through where I don't want it and yet I've no eyelashes.

Rozz, I don't know how you put up with drains in for three week, I was well and truly fed up just for the week. In Scarborough hospital they said they had to remove the drain 7 days after the MX due to the chance of infection, even though there was still 100ml of fluid still going into the bottle each day. I be had it drained twice now, thankfully it seems to be settling down. All I can suggest Sandy, if you have a drain in, get the bottle emptied just before your holiday or if they've removed it and your filling up, again get the nurse to srynge it off just before you go on holiday, you will be fine for the week then. It should be a good holiday Sandy with all your family around you, put your feet up and relax.

Philomena, firstly, good luck with your angiogram today, hope they can tell you the results ASAP. My hubby thinks I've gone nuts, but I did pick the rose hips yesterday during our dog walk, had to use a clean, poo bag to store them, but I made some rosehip syrup yesterday and it's lovely, it was bright orange to start with but I strained it through cloth a second time and it's like honey now, but delicious..... Domestic goddess here I come!

Angie, good to hear from you, hope they're treating you kindly at work and cutting you some slack, you get my vote for wonder women.

Lori, lovely to hear from you, I thing the depression thing your feeling is all quite normal. It's been really intense for the last few months. Take care, don't beat yourself up.

Kim, how're you doing?

Mel, hope the sore boob, is feeling better, I think you've got the **bleep**iest stick out of the lot of us, with radiotherapy in the middle of chemo. How many more do you have to do? Sending big hugs xx

hiya kate, just this week to do and your rads will be done with, how're you doing with it? Do you need to have further surgery for reconstruction?

moira and lynn, hope your both doing well, keep swigging the gripe water Moira!

Guest user
Not applicable

Afternoon Angels - hope you all had a good weekend.  It was beautiful up hear, spent most of yesterday in the garden!  I intended to go into the office today for a few hours but woke this morning with really sore legs and arms, worse it's been for a while.  Angie - you seem to be still getting pain too, it's wierd how it comes and goes!!  I decided to just do a few hours from the house instead, hopefully I'll get in later in the week.

Lori - great to hear from you, sounds like your doing the right thing in getting some extra support

Mel - lucky you with the hair, I'm still a  baldy!  a few wee spikes here and there but that's it!

Sandy - I'm sure you'll have a lovely relaxing time at centre parcs, i've been to one before and it was brill

Rozz - well done on the weight loss, I'm still doing well too.  Nearly at the 1 stone mark and hope to lose another 7/8 lbs before Florida at end October....then I'll put a chunk of it back on no doubt!

Have a good week Angels

ps think we have heard from everyone now about April so shall we get booked up soon??

pauline xx

Mel_A

Angie - well done for getting back to work so soon after rads. You must be shattered. I bet it feels good to have some normality again though. Take care not to overdo it. I'll look out for that book.
Sandy, with regard to the drains I didn't have one at all after my mx, but I'm an A cup so not much there anyway :-).
Moira I'm like you with the walking. After 2 previous failed attempts I'm looking forward to getting around the trafford centre. Keep slapping on the cream. I found that it helped ease my skin when it started to feel tight.
Philomena I forgot to say before that you would make a wonderful chemo nurse with a good understanding of what it's like. Go for it! The only thing I would say is I hope you're a good shot with a cannula 😉
We've just been out for a meal in town and really enjoyed it. It was one of those last minute ideas to get us out of the house for a bit. I feel very full now. 🙂
Rozz

Hello all,

Good grief, haven’t we been busy!  It’s getting harder to keep up now most of us are up and doing stuff.

Pauline – I’d get some cushions in the colours you like and see what works in situ – as long as you can take them back and get a refund.  I looked at some swatches recently and the one I liked had light green, orange and browns all together so I’m sure either or both would work.

Hope your return to work went well. I find being at work ok, but notice it when I get home.

Mel – I hope you feel ok now.  It must be really hard having chemo and rads at the same time and of course you can’t think about going back to work yet. It must be hard for you hearing how some of us are getting back to normal and doing more, but your turn will come soon and you’ll gradually feel better too.  Only one more chemo to go now? Hope your SEs are bearable this time.

Kim, Moira, Philomena & Mel hope your skin is improving.  Mine is slightly pink, but I still have 13 more sessions to go so I’m quite worried about it getting worse. There’s no way I’m leaving the house without a bra!

I remember rose hip syrup!  I’ve never had it “fresh” though – my aunt makes wicked elderflower cordial.

Amber – hope you enjoyed the Ideal Home Exhibition. OH suggested we went, but I’m not up to it energy-wise yet.  I can do lots of short walks, or up to an hour with the dog, but not several hours of being on my feet. I’m still waiting to feel up to a wander around John Lewis!

Sandy – I’m going to fess up. I didn’t mention it before so as not to spook Judy but I had drains post-MX for 3 weeks. One of them gave up after 2 weeks, but surgeon said depends on the size of the boob. Mine was FF so a challenge! I didn’t need to have any fluid drained off though.  So, assuming I was a worst case scenario, you should be drain-free before the time of your hols and up for most things. You may need to avoid the pool though, depending on how the healing takes.  But you’ll be able to sit with your feet up by the pool with your new cossie on looking glam and get your family to chat to you now and then.  You should also know that the spas at Center Parcs are excellent….

Judy – good news on the scan! Woo hoo!!  A massive relief, I know.  Hope the mx is healing well now and the cording is getting better.  Sorry to hear about your MIL, hope she recovers quickly, but do try to keep the arm exercises going – my mx arm now has better rotation than the other one – weird! 

Lori – well done for getting some help. There’s no “normal” way to react to the situation we’re in. Hope the anxiety gets better; have you tried meditation? My friend suffered really badly from anxiety after a brain tumour (non malignant, fortunately) and this really helped her.  Me too, but I’ve lapsed a bit recently. I recommend Headspace – its available on line & you can try it for free.

Angie – good to hear you’re enjoying work.  Yes, I still get the occasional tax-twinge, but less often now.  I still have the water retention, which is gradually improving – and I lost 7lbs last week as a result! I can’t feel the middle 3 toes on each foot yet either, but its so good to feel so nearly normal isn’t it.  The book you recommended is now on my Kindle. Did I mention I was a readaholic? 

Mel - Who’d have thought shaving a bikini line would be cause for celebration?!  I live in hope.  My “lady garden” is still pretty bare.  Eyelashes seem to be reappearing. Eyebrows sprouting in all the wrong places though.  I’m booked in for a haircut next week; straggly old hair to be cut back towards up the new (very short) growth.  I’m hoping they’ll meet up by Christmas!

Have a great week everyone, whatever you’re up to.

Rozz  xxx

angiepops

hi all

just to say, re the coping with anxiety and stress, ive had a few strange thoughts but i found a book called 'The cancer survivors companion' written by Dr Frances Goodheart. The first couple of pages are an analogy of someone having cancer, it made me sob, so true, i couldnt have put it better myself -  the rest of the book is very practical, makes you think about what you are thinking, just self help stuff.

angie xx

p.s.  anyone who had tax still getting the aches?