1.2M posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone due to start chemo in April? - Awesom April Angels

Judyd

Re: Anyone due to start chemo in April? - Awesom April Angels

Sandy, it sounds like your getting yourself into a right pickle over the op, don't worry about it, there's nothing you can do but worrying won't help. You will be home before you know it, mind you if you have no heating you might be better staying in longer.
I was talking to a woman in radiotherapy today, she had the tummy tuck version but within 2 days it was obvious there was infection and she had to have it removed. She is going for the Diep flap option once she has finished radiotherapy. I'm not sure if I should have told you that Sandy as it's not going to make you feel better!?!.......She did say that the tummy tuck was fab though and she was up and about within three days with no pain other than the boob not taking.
I didn't fancy the scars on my back whereas I know the tummy tuck scar will always be well hidden in my knickers. I suppose the scars on your back you never see anyway... Unless you look in the mirror, but it just didn't fancy that option.

Kate, that's not good news on the eyelashes, mine are just coming back, they're very short but they're getting there. It will be rubbish when they fall out again. Don't work too hard Kate.

I have to say as well that the nice skin from chemo has gone, other than the occasional outbreak of spots I got on chemo, the rest of the time my skin felt and looked great, now it's back to normal, looking dull!

Had my 4th radiotherapy today, got in and out early which was good. No problems at all yet, with skin or fatigue from radiotherapy..... Oh crap, I've said it now, haven't I, tomorrow I will be burn to a crisp!
Spikey

Afternoon Angels

Kim, have a great holiday, enjoy the warming sun....there isn't any here! 😞

Judy, good to hear you had a nice anniversary . Hope the weather stayed nice for your walk, it looks okay through the window here but its cold! I shouldn't complain as I think its helping reduce the hot flushes to cold spells!
Mel, sorry to hear you are still in clink, hope they let you out soonest!
Sandy, I have the expander and am going to have it replaced by diep next year at some stage. I do like the implant but don't want it permanently, is yours going to be permanent? I was told ld flap was not an option as I'm too young and it would restrict movement. I know someone who has had double ld flap and she does have restricted movement but is happy with what she does have.

I was told today by a lady who is about 8 months ahead of me in the BC journey that she is on to her third set of eyelashes! I thought now I'd got them back I'd keep them but apparently that's not the case as they have all grown together they are likely to fall out together and grow again. They normally drop out and grow again in a cycle so you don't really notice but as ours have grown together they all leave together! 😞
I've done another half day in the office, still no real work though!
Hope everyone else is okay
Kate
X
Guest user
Not applicable

Sandy - our posts crossed!  I'll be thinking of you on Thursday, hope all goes well x

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Angels

Kim - well jel!!  have a lovely time, soooo looking forward to my hols at the end of the month 😎

Judy - belated anniversary wishes, sounds like you had a lovely night

Mel - hope you get out soon Mrs, we're all thinking about you x

Sandy - soo glad your eyes are getting sorted, I had a bit of trouble a while back, it's so annoying!

take care Angels

Pauline xx

PrimroseHill

Hey Judy, weather not too bad here either near sunny skeggy. My op is on Thursday so I shall joining Mel in hotel hospital if she's still in. I'm really trying to be brave but I was up most of last night scaring myself with the "what if's" and should I have gone with the tummy diep instead of the expander implant? Three  things putting me off that though, is the massive tummy scar from hip to hip and the  extended recovery from two operation sites and the risk of the blood vessels not knitting together with partial or all of the tissue dying. The LD flap is out too as the surgeon did say I may have problems in my job with regard to pulling or movement in the shoulder and back when trying to ride or lead strong horses. So I'm just going to stick to what Ive decided and can only hope for the best. Or should I find a new job....................... No, who's  going to employ me with this DX hanging over me................... or should I................... or should i.................arrrghhhhh.

Sat here in the cold too with loads of jumpers as the plumbers are in trying to put a complete bathroom in before I get home possibly Friday (i hope) so no water, loo and the back doors wide open as there in and out all the time. It's not their fault. My original op date for WLE was for Sept 26th and I would have been feeling much better by now had we stuck to the previous plan. At least It should be warm in the hospital and the loos work. Having to go next door for now.

Happy holiday Kim. Have a great time. x

Mel - Lets hope your oncologist gets a shift on now your on the ward.

Moira - It's good to hear from you. Your right about the age thing at least this disease had taught me to live every day now. We went to watch OH grandson play football yesterday. I was in tears as soon as I saw his little 5 year old legs fighting for every chance to defend the goal. I wasn't biased either he really was third best player to the goaly and there goal scorer. In fact the wind carried the ball so fast toward the goal he jumped to head it away and it knocked him clean off his feet. It hurt him so much he cried however the goal was averted. We were all so proud. Later, my daughter and I made a lovely milkybar cake. Some thing I didn't have time for before as I worked every weekend teaching. I really do feel I have missed out on so much of the little things with my kids now. Still I'm making up for it and the farm Ive worked so hard for is mortage free.

Got to go, have to make a desicion on whether the tiles should go on longways or sideways.

Hope all other angels are keeping wrapped up and warm. Lv and Hugs. Sandy. xxxx

Judyd

Good morning kim, my chemo brain is obviously still insitu, I didn't realise you were going on holiday. It sounds like your having a great time, a strol in the sun is just what you need, keep slapping on the sun cream and enjoy.

Mel, so sorry to read you are still incarcerated, I do think if there was an award for the angel that has had the crappiest deal through all this, you would be the winner. Thinking of you and hoping that they let you go home today. Take care.

Sandy, it's good to read your eyes are sorted, and by a young doctor too, good for you. How're you holding up with regards to your forthcoming op?

Thanks for all the well wishes, our anniversary was very nice, had fantastic food and a lovely night out with all the family.

Off to walk the dog now, the sun is shining, the wind has dropped, not a bad day at all, take care angels
Xxx judy
KimG

Good morning from sunny Portugal 😄
Judy - Congratulations on your wedding anniversary , hope you had a lovely meal with the family.
Sandy - hope the new medication clears up your eye problems
Mel - I hope the WBC is on the up and the ONC lets you go home soon.

I' m having a great time, yesterday we had a lovely walk /stroll to and around the marina, I was really pleased that I managed to walk for so long (about 3 hours) with no problems to my bad hip. We are planning a lazy day around the pool today.

Hope you all have a great day
Kim x
fecinora

Oh Mel, I hope they let you out soon!! Keep asking if results are in, do they know when onc will see you, etc.

I've found it works sometimes if you keep asking all and sundry!!!

Thinking of you and hope you get some sleep xxx

maisiecake

Hi all

glad you're feeling better Mel.

Judy Happy anniversary!

Sandy_ glad eyes are improving. Another tip for dry eyes- johnson's baby shampoo is really good to wash them with. I know it sounds a bit mad but I was told this by eye consultant and optician. just use it like you would a face wash. works really well for me especially now I have no eyelashes.

Well angels i am still incarcerated. have just moved to oncology ward as they finally have a bed. bit sad because i have been moved from my lovely ensuite single room with a view to a room for 4. Oh well - hoping the onc might actually get round to seeing me here! Still having iv antibiotics, have had blood test yesterday but don't know what neuts are now as haven't seen dr yet. my tongue no longer looks like a slug in an organic vegetable patch and i can swallow again. I WANT TO GO HOME!!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks for all your supportive comments- it really helps to know I'm not alone.

love to everyone Mel xxx

Mel_A

Hi everyone
I hope you had a lovely day yesterday Judy. Happy anniversary.
Sandy I'm so glad you got your eyes sorted out.
My mood has lifted this weekend, though it feels good having everyone home with me. My OH is feeling and looking much better too, which has helped. I enrolled the kids to help me sort out the playroom yesterday, while my OH took the dog out and despite bagging up loads to go out there is still a lot to do. I feel better for doing something on it though. I've been out for a good walk with the dog today today too, so my energy levels have improved again for now. My legs are still driving me daft though as they are really weak. Has anyone else noticed this? I know what you mean Sandy about feeling like you should be doing more, but I suppose it is still early days after treatment yet.
Mel how's the wbc? Any sign of release? I hope you're feeling OK. xx
Moira glad to hear you're doing OK. I know what you mean about the cold ears. I've swapped my Chemo hat for my woolly hat 🙂
Mosiecat

Hello Angels,
Just to let you know I'm still around.
I've been away for a few days catching up with a few people we hadn't seen for a while, including my mother-in-law, who isn't aware that I've had cancer. I'm afraid she isn't aware of very much at all these days - she's 93 and failing rapidly. This getting old business isn't all its cracked up to be!
I'm feeling quite well at the moment. Other than the odd twinge in the legs and the odd tummy upset I feel - dare I say it - normal! Just wish the hair would grow back a bit quicker cos it's a constant reminder and it's getting pretty chilly around the ears.
Sorry it's dragging on for you, Mel. Hope your bloods improve and you get out asap.
Glad the eye drops have worked, Sandie. You are so right - the support system on this site has been wonderful. Long may it continue.
Keep smiling Angels
Moira xxx
LNMcG

Hey sandy glad your eyes are feeling better hope it clears them it was a young locum. Who prescribed me them they not all bad hope every. One else ok x take care x
PrimroseHill

Afternoon Angels,

Lynn a huge thank you to you. I fought for another appointment at the Dr's yesterday and got in at 9am. I found myself in front of a young practitioner who I couldn't understand. I gave him a copy of your post with the eye gel you suggested and after a swift look at my eyes he gave me the prescription. Mostly because i was getting hysterical as he was suggesting I go back to the eye clinic after he had "spockin wid de oncoolageest wheech gud dake a wick or do".

Got home and squeezed twice the recomended dose in and guess what? Within an hour the constand pain of slashing eye sydrome gone. YES GONE. Yaaaaaaaay. 

Judy - If anyone wanted any clinical trials they need look no further than all our posts. Girls doin it for themselves eh?  Love that were  all looking  out for each other. Have a lovely anniversary and family meal. Your hair looks good on your pickie by the way. 

Mel - Wish we could find a quick solution to getting you out of hospital. Hopefully they can get you the correct dressings now. Rant all you like sweetie. Makes my eye trouble feel so minor after all you've been through. x

Pauline - Good to hear from you. Really praying your dad is better soon and the scan is so much better than thought. Hope your not woking too hard. Must be tough worring for another family member as well as yourself. Take it easy sweetie. x

Mel A -  Im still getting those muscle aches too and I can't do a lot either. Don't know about you but it makes me feel guilty at not pulling my weight like everyone else. It's a lonely feeling isn't it. But like your MIL, there some lovely people out there ready to help.x

All other angels have a good weekend.x

Got to go haven't hugged my eye solution tube  in over an hour.  LOl.

Lv and Hugs. Sandy xxxxx

Judyd

Hello angels, mel you poor thing, I hope they are looking after you in hospital, you must be well fed up of it all by now. Hope they can get your BC up so you can get home quickly.

Pauline, so sorry to read that your dad isn't doing too well, it must be very worrying for you, keeping my fingers crossed for your dad.

mel a, how're you doing, hope your feeling a bit better, don't be too hard on yourself, hope your energy levels have returned.

Rozz how's your leg, that sounds painful, hope you can sort it out with excercise or something. I've noticed my cording is easing a bit with excersise, it's still there but I have a better range of movement now.

Lynn have you finished rads now? I'm glad I started mine mid week, it's a pain in the bum all the travelling.

It's our 25th wedding anniversary today, my sister has come up from Worcester for the weekend and my brother in law is home from working in Saudi for a week so were all off out tonight for a family meal. Not very romantic, I know but it should be nice, I might even gel my hair to make it stand on end, that way it will look longer 😄

Sandy, how're your eyes, did you manage to get anything for them?

Moira, kim, Kate, Angie, how're you all doing. Take it easy at work next week Kate.

Amber I hope your having a lovely holiday in the sun, at least you've got better weather than were having here.

One thing, these hot sweats are keeping me warm even though it's freezing in the house, my hubby and son have both got thick onesies that I bought them cos I keep turning the heating off and they're looking frozen but I'm all toastie warm sat in a tshirt and shorts.

Sorry for anyone I've not mentioned, hope you all have a good weekend
Take care
Judy x
Mel_A

Hi Pauline. I'm glad to hear you're on the mend and out and about. I'm so sorry to hear things aren't looking too great for your dad though. xx
Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Angels, ages since I have been on as a lot going on!

Congrats to those who have finished treatment recently, now for the road to recovery.  Mel, so sorry to hear you are back in hospital, you really have had a crap time of it.

I've been ramping up on the work front and have had a few days away here and there.  Was at a lovely hotel / spa on the outskirts of Glasgow last Sunday (Mar Hall) and bumped into Rod!  Sorry Amber, we were ushered away before I could get a photo op or autograph! Also waiting on scan results for my dad, he has not improved at all post rads and had another scan last week...not looking too good...

I'm feeling ok, still tired lots and a bit achy but that is definitely getting better.  Still have hardly any hair or brows but can feel lashes starting to come back.

Holiday season seems to be upon us so may need to wait until that's over before booking up to ensure we all get rooms at the same time.  Amber is away just now and Lynn, I think you go soon and IO go on 31st Oct.  Maybe need to wait until November to book.

Sorry for not mentioning everyone but just too much to read and reply to since I was last on.  I am thinking of you all though xx

Take care Angels

Pauline xx

Rozz

Ooohh nooo! Poor you, Mel. This ******* treatment regime stinks. At least we all understand so moan and rant to your heart's content. Fingers crossed your wbc recovers within a few days. Lots of virtual hugs, Rozz
Mel_A

Oh Mel what a sh*t time you're having. Moan away that's what we're here for! Fingers crossed for a quick escape. Big hugs to you xx
maisiecake

Hi a ngels
Sandy I get clinitas soothe off internet now. They used to sell it at boots. Some opticians sell it too. Can't tell you website atm for reason below but I think amazon sell it. Just google.
Do you all mind if I have a bit of a melt down on here? I've Had a s*** week. All the palava over dressings followed by 24hours of terrible wind and then awful diarheoa then my tongue swelled up so it is really difficult to swallow. Went to hospital for line flush dr said he hadn't Seen that before but probably an se. Did a blood test:
Dr: did you do the neulasta injection;?
Me: yes.
Dr: well it hasn't worked your wbc is 0.03.
Bit of a doc martin moment. Am now incarcerated AGAIN for at least till after the weekend.thoroughly p****d off. I want to be moving on with my life and I'm Just stuck in the same place. We were meeting my dad( of garage fame) in wales for the weekend. He's Already there so now he's On his own for the weekend. Very miserable.
Moan over
Mel xxx
Mel_A

Hi everyone. Where does time go? There have been loads of posts since I was last on.
Lynn - one more - woohoo! I was given hydrocortisone cream too for itchy, rashy skin, but not for broken skin. Not long for you now Rozz 🙂
Sandy I hope the eyes are starting to feel better and you're feeling a bit better in yourself. It's awful waiting to start new treatment as you don't know what to expect. Chemo was much worse and you got through that!
I felt better after an early night on Monday but had another mini meltdown this morning because I didn't have the energy to take the dog for a decent walk or do some cleaning. It's so frustrating! My leg keeps buckling at the knee when I'm tired. My OH isn't good at the moment either as he is feeling the pain and fatigue caused by MS. My mum-in-law came round to help with the housework (a star!) and we went out for lunch for a change of scenery, which did us both good. I've just been for a taster session of reflexology, which was quite relaxing and my auntie is coming to do some reiki tomorrow night.
Fecinora I hope the brca results are good. Fingers crossed for you.
Angie - your boss sounds like a real star. Good for him! That's so supportive.
Debra - thanks for posting that number. Hope to see you there 🙂
Judy - I'm glad you're starting to feel better and getting into painting again.
Kate - I'm glad you had a good first day back at work. That must be the hardest.
Mel - I hope the discomfort eases soon. I was told not to cover my skin with anything if it broke down after rads - just let the air get to it. Not too easy given where it is 🙂
Hi to everyone I've not mentioned. Hope the sleep angels are visiting all and not being hogged by Kate 😉 lol. Night all 🙂
Rozz

Hi All

It’s nice to feel more normal again, but unfortunately the Achilles tendonitis that plagued me last year is back with a vengeance! Every time I get up and start walking I have to crank my ankles up again - so more starfish walking!  I’m back to doing the exercises and Pilates again.  I’d nearly got rid of it before my DX, but 6 months of “resting” didn’t get rid.

Debra – I was surprised how long it took me to get over the last chemo. My head wanted to be getting on with life, my body wasn’t so keen.  Don’t expect too much too soon and before you know it, you’ll start to realise you’re feeling normal again.

Sandy – the drains have a slight vacuum to help with the drainage so they need to be fitted in hospital; they’re replaced rather than emptied.  If the treatment for your eye didn’t work, you have to go back.  Its frustrating but the specialist needs to know what doesn’t work.  I’m with you re Ruby – she seems so under-confident I hope she keeps it together. Kimberly’s good too, I think. It’s a very good job we don’t have tasty-vison!

Fecinora – fingers crossed for your test results – the waiting is awful, isn’t it. 

Kate – Christmas cake … mmmmmm!  I had a flu jab at work last year – within 6 hours I started to feel ill…. and was in bed for 6 days!  I know its not supposed to be a “live” virus so can’t give you flu, but I think I’ll give it a miss.  Hope you enjoy being at work again, take it easy tho’!

Judy – good to hear you’re painting again.  Hope the gales stop soon. I think our bodies are still overreacting in case we chemo them again!

Angie – I’m with you on the eating well front.  I think my body needs some proper looking after now; but I keep reminding myself that means veggies not chocolate!  Your colleagues sound wonderful; must make working much easier!

Lynn – Onc said use 1% hydrocortisone cream on my itchy skin (better than scratching) the radio ladies also suggested Aloe Vera gel which I think is better (mine is double strength from Holland & Barrett).  I use HC cream am & pm and the aloe vera when I’m home for the day -I smear it all on & go bra-less (I discovered a stash of camisoles!).  I forgot the aloe one day and really missed it.

Only 4 more rads to go – then I’m having a lie in on Thursday – I’ve missed getting up when I feel like it, especially when the hot flushes have kept me awake.

Nightie night,

Rozz

x

Spikey

Thanks Angie, Next week I'm planning 21 hours plus 4 hours driving so I should be okay based on your success!

Hahahaha, I wish I didn't have to wear a bra either!

If I'm still awake by 8.30 I will be on live chat yes, see you there

Kate
X
angiepops

hi kate

the first week was tiring, i did have a few wobbles but i did 30 hours. now i'm back to full strength so its ok and i'm full time as well.

i will certainly make the little pinky bra man send me a photo, he tried his costume on today, he's glad he doesnt have to wear bras all the time bless him.

live chat tonite ?

angie xx

Spikey

Sandy, I had 2 fills post surgery where they filled it with 200ml i think (one 100ml and one 80ml) and its not quite the same size as my other but close and I'm an E so it shouldn't take much for a b cup. There was no feeling for me when they filled it which is why they did 100ml in one to, normally they start with 50 but decided I was fine so carried on! Hope you get something for your eyes soon, its never nice having sore eyes.

I have been to work today, left home at 8.40am and got home at 1.50pm with 3.5hours in the office. I didn't do any work, just got my laptop working again and chatted to a lot of people. I went without my hat or wig and everyone said my hair looked fine, one chap even said 'pixie cuts are in right now so you look trendy'! I was impressed. I did take my asda comfort bra off as soon as I got home, I'm thinking camisoles might be better for work with the driving bit as well as sitting at my desk.......will have to see how I feel Monday.

Lynn, I have itchy and rashy skin from rads but am just using the aqueous cream and clarityn anti histamines, not sure if anyone else has been given anything else.

Angie, are you going to get us a photo of your boss in his bra?? 🙂

Off for a nap now, hope everyone is feeling okay and getting a step closer to 'normality'......whatever that is! 🙂
Kate
X
LNMcG

Sandy I had Celluvisc the first time too, they are just for dry eye. It did not clear it up. I then got chloramphenicol drops brand name tubilux they did not help either. The ones which cleared my eyes were fucithalmic. Eye drops it is a tube comes out as a gel and goes liquid in the eyes.
I have a day off rads today machine down day last one tomorrow roll on , my skin is really itchy and rashy what were you recommended to use afterward to heal it ? Lynn x
Judyd

Sandy, I'm pleased to read that they can't find any damage to your eye, just a thought, my dad had mouth cancer a few years ago and had radiotherapy and chemo for it. At the end of treatment he was prescribed lacri-lube which is for dry eyes. He's had it on prescription ever since and uses it daily. I've just had a look hogue and you can buy it from amazon : Lacri-lube Ophthalmic Ointment 5g, I know my dad can't manage without it now but it might work for you.

as for the drains, mine was a 750ml drain bottle which I had to have changed at the hospital, they just clipped the tube off and connected it to a new bottle. I ended up with 2 full bottles of fluid and then 7 days after the op they had to take the drain out. I then had the fluid syringed out twice and that was another 500ml. Please don't stress or the drains as it's no big deal, it's more an inconvenience and a bit painful if you forget to pick the bottle up when you go for a walk.

Well the rads went fine yesterday, were gonna have to set off earlier though, I think we need to allow an hour and twenty minutes to get there but the hospital where they do the radiotherapy is new.... Very posh with lots of beautiful gardens around the place, it would have been nice to have chemo there as well.

Debra, Kate's right, I think I was more tired and unwell after the last chemo than all of the others put together, get plenty of rest, make the most of it.

Kate don't work too hard, I hope they break you into work nice and gently.

Angie your boss sounds like he's a right laugh. I've been really surprised by how supportive some people have been. It's interesting you saying you've lost a few chins. I still have the turkey neck but the round face has gone. Isn't it great having eyelashes again!

It's freezing here today... Thank god, I'm fed up with the hot flushes. I think I'm going to buy a cooling gel pad for my pillow, hopefully that might help in the night.

Well time to set off for rads, have a good day ladies x
Judy
PrimroseHill

Morning Angels,

Thank you for your posts. I went to the eye specialist on Tues. First she put anasthetic drops in my eyes which gave immediate relief. (Wanted to grab the bottle and make a run for it). Then I had an eye examination for which she could find nothing wrong with the eye itself. So then I got a prescription for Celluvisc which i think is another tear drop containing a substance which lubricates the eye. Ive been using since and it has done nothing to help. Where to go from here I have no idea. 

Mel - Where do I get the Cinitas from Ive never heard of it but am willing to give anything a try. You sound really sore too and I know how you feel about making all those extra appointments. It's just so tiring isn't it but you do need those dressings so I hope youve seen the district nurse and got alternatives that work. Looks like we still have to fight for what we need.  You have really been through mill though what with chemo and rads so demand what you need and no waiting in waiting rooms or surgeries. (Failing that, and with your new condition,  just let rip and clear the room). Lol

Judy - Rozz - Can you empty the drain yourself or does someone have to do it for you. 

Judy - Best wishes for your rads. I really hope all goes well for you. And it's lovely to hear your painting again.

Kate - How long does it take to get the expander to fill? All they said to me was that it depends on what you can stand during and after each fill and on what size. I'm a 34b. Xmas cakes already, working too and only just finished rads. Get those power naps in.

Rozz- Ticking off those rads. I hope it's just the itchy skin you get. Love the British Bake off too my monies on Ruby to win as long as she stays consistant. No diet for me either yet. Nope Sirrreeee.

Off to give the drops one last go. Lv n Hugs. xxx 

Spikey

Thanks Angie, when you finished rads were you tired in the first week or were you okay? I seem to have gone back to falling asleep in an afternoon for an hour or so, hopefully I'll be home today before I need sleep! I'm trying my asda comfort bra for the first time post rads for work so fingers crossed it will be comfortable and not cause any skin problems.
Debra, my finger nails got stronger through chemo and are still strong now, 8 weeks post chemo. After chemo finishes the tiredness for me took a good 3 or 4 weeks to wear off, don't be hard on yourself and take time to get over the treatment. Plan rest into your days so you don't miss out on doing things, you just manage the rests in between.

Hope everyone has a good day today, I'm off to work shortly, hopefully for lots of cups of tea and catch ups rather than too much work!
Kate
X
Louis

If anyone lives near to Cheshire and would like to go to the talk about reconstruction and meet other ladies who have already have this procedure please contact a lady called Tracey on 07796126506.
The shop were this evening will take place is called Betty & Belle. This will launch a new charity called keeping abreast in Manchester. Tracey is part of this charity.
I am 2 weeks post chemo and feel more tired now than on the chemotherapy.
Does anyone else feel like this. My fingernails are very strong at the moment, they were never strong pre chemo.
Debra. xxx
angiepops

hello ladies

hope youre all keeping well.

kate - back to work does very quickly turn back to normality, i dont feel like ive been away at all. hope it goes well tommorow.Smiley Happy

rozz - i'm not losing any weight but i think ive lost some fluids from round my chins. i think we have to eat well to stay strong though Smiley Very Happy so i'm not dieting yet! i'm 3 weeks almost post rads and i'm wearing my asda post surgery bras as normal, so its not long to recovery.

judy - glad youre painting again. i found i had eyelashes today, i felt them when i was rubbing my eyes, i was showing everyone at work, i keep touching them!  i have bingo wings too - did i have them before? not sure. Smiley Frustrated

i have to say, there are some relly kind people in this world. its breast care awareness month?? apparantly, i didnt know. one of my bosses ( jocky - a short stout man) is going to do the carvery at my work on sunday wearing a pink bra so that customers can donate to breast cancer charities, because 2 of his staff have had it (me and another woman) i just think thats great. ( i will ask if its just so he can wear a bra lol) . his wife did the macmillan cake thing in the hotel and raised over £1000. arent some people just lovely.  Heart

angie xx

Louis

Betty and Belle in Altrincham tel 0161 929 1472.
Oct 17th , yes it would be great to see you.
Debra. xxx
Judyd

Morning ladies, my drain bottle must have been different to yours Kate and Rozz, it was a big bottle, bigger than a sports drinking bottle, I think it held 750ml of fluid so it was quite heavy by the time it had filled up. I too was given a bag with a shoulder strap by the hospital. I don't think it was that bad having the drain in, it was just uncomfortable to sleep with as I was aware of it every time I tugged it in the night. It must be awful to be allergic to the dressing. My skin became sore but didn't break out or anything.

Rozz, I'm like you at the moment, I'm not losing any weight at all, if I look at scrummy food, I put weight on. I've been going on the treadmill, only walking mind but I've also started going on the stepper too. I've just realised that I now have bingo wings too.... Where did they come from?

Fecinora, I hope you get the test results through soon and it's good news.

mel, I too have really bad wind at the moment, but I've had vegetarian meals for the last 3 days so I'm putting it down to that. I hope it keeps at bay today as I start rads this afternoon. I must say though, I have never been a windy person until now, the kids think it is hilarious, and are both amazed that there mum has wind like the rest of the family.

Sandy, hope the doctor has managed to sort your eye problem out. Try not to stress over the op, it's really not that bad. My scar has healed up beautifully, it's a bit lumpy and wrinkly due to the excess fluid being taken out but that should be sorted when I have reconstruction.

All you ladies starting work again, have put me to shame so I started painting again yesterday, I have a dog portrait to do, I've drawn it out, now I need to get painting.

Make the most of the good weather if you have it, winters on its way according to the news this morning.

Oh, nearly forgot, my eyelashes are starting to grow, they're really short but they're coming through. Yay!
Spikey

Morning Angels
I agree with Fecinora about the drains and getting prescriptions! Drains, they were there but not a real hassle, one of mine stayed in for 3 days and one for 5 and the worst thing was being allergic to the dressing they had used to cover them and hold them in place! Prescriptions, I haven't been to see a GP since diagnosis, throughout treatment I've been able to phone the surgery and either request a prescription from the receptionist and its been sorted or I've had a telephone consult and the GP has sorted. The next time I'll be physically going to the surgery is for a flu jab at the end of Oct, are you all booked in for one??

My skin is still doing okay after rads, have a few reddish blotches on my pink square but it doesn't look like its breaking so I'm keeping my fingers crossed. I did have heat rash on it last night but that was after being out to see Jimmy Carr and it was very warm in the hall! I have felt more tired this week than the previous few which I think is down to me doing more, yesterday I baked 2 Christmas cakes!

Sandy, I have the expander implant and the pumping up is not a problem. It doesn't hurt and for me I didn't even feel the tightness they expected as it was being filled. It feels tighter now after rads but not painful. Good luck

I'm off to work tomorrow for a few hours and hopefully they will fix my laptop so I can work from home next week for a few hours as well as being in the office for 2 half days. Normality is returning.....maybe?

Have a good day,
Kate
X
fecinora

Thanks for the good wishes sandy and Mel, it is only 10% chance of positive BRCA, so here's hoping.

Lynn, thanks for the tips and info on route and parking, I wouldnt have thought of that way, makes good sense.

sandy, hope eye clinic sorted you out.

Mel, can you leave a request for your DN for dressings, or phone them? (I know GP practices vary in helpfulness)

Post op I said I would go in if needed, but I had two home visits! You need this sorted!

Best wishes to everyone xx

Rozz

Hi All,

Well done Debra, your tough time is almost over.  Kate too for finishing rads . I have 6 more zaps to go, and yes, I'm counting!  My skin's itchy but not really sore.  I get uncomfortable wearing a bra all day so don't regret only going in two days  a week.  Mel - hope your skin settles down soon, you're nearly there.

Sandy - Its no wonder you're feeling miz.  Uncertainty is really difficult to handle and you have loads at the moment and its awful to be in pain too.  I hope you get a cure for your eye - something you really don't need right now.   I hope I can set your mind at rest regarding the drains at least.  I had 2, one under my boob, one at the side.  The hospital gave me a really good cloth bag (£1 from Primark!) which had long handles so I popped the drains in it, hook the handles over my shoulder and move around just fine.  I did walk off without the bag a couple of times, but not far!!  After one of them gave up & was taken out (and I was feeling much more recovered too) I put the remaining one in a sock and pinned it to a fabric belt around my waist.  Still a nuisance, but totally hands free.  It was wonderful when the last one was removed but looking back, it was no biggie really.  

Phillomena - good for you for having a go at the GP!  He either didn't know  or didn't care how important his letter would be - he does now!  Did you get your angio results?

Watching the Great British Bake Off - how come they're all so slim?  I'm putting on weight just watching!

Many hugs,

Roz

KimG

Hi Mel

Re - dressings - ask the district nurse for the special mepilex lite dressings, they are neoprene and are especially for radiotherapy and burns patients, I found them a godsend

Kim x
maisiecake

Hi Angels

just been catching up on your posts- you've been busy again!

Sandy- hope you're feeling regrouped and rested today. hope they can sort your eye out soon as. I think going with the flow is a good strategy to get you through.  My eyes have been v sore on and off through chemo. I had some drops which didn't help from onc, and now I just use clinitas sooth which I've got before for dry eyes. They don't cure it but they're very soothing. My vision has also deteriorated a lot during chemo- hoping this might improve!

Fecinora- hope your results come soon so you can make a decision. It must be really tough to deal with rads and surgery at the same time. sending virtual awesome angel  hugs HeartSmiley HappySmiley Wink

I have terrible wind at the moment- I'm not fit for human contact, so am trying to stay in. have to go to chemist to collect more dressings for skin. Haven't found anything I can use to stick them on with yet that doesn't blister my skin. I'm keeping them on with will power alone! I've got an appt to see district nurse about this, but honestly don't think I have the energy and don't want to wait in the surgery as WBC will be low.

love to everyone else

Mel xxx

PrimroseHill

Fecenora, needing a double MX halfway through rads would be really harsh for you and I hope and pray your results are in soon and that you only need the rads. All the best for that sweetie.  Sounds like both you and Lynn have trouble parking at your hospital. Me too. I was going in and out the barriers at our hospital last week for twenty minuets looking for a spot. 

Philomena - Even down under I can see you really do have some a really good hairline going on. Well gel. LOl. What does ATOS mean? I'm in awe of your strength in letting the GP know how you felt. I used to be like that but am beginning to feel a little battered and bruised at the moment so just sit there not taking an awful lot in and going with the flow. Hopefully back to norm once the se's are gone and the op is over.

Mel A - My op is on Oct 17th. A week on Thursday. I do hope you feel better today and your early night has bought you a brighter day today. You have already been throught a lot so take your time on your recon decision. Im sure you will choose whats right for you. Im kind of a jump in and wait for the consequences kinda girl otherwise i'd never make a decision at all.  I didn't do alot yesterday either but the rest has bought on a regroup this morning.

Judy - Me too. Although Im nervous of the Mx. It's now the drainage and the pumping up of the expander afterwards thats on my thoughts. A bit like the chemo not sure what to expect. But were all getting through right?

Diggy & Lynn - I hope my eye problem is sorted out today. At my appointment for pre-op the doctor called the eye clinic and got me in today for one o'clock. Another big thumbs up for Boston from my point of veiw. If I hadn't I would have taken yours  and Philomena's advice and booked an optician. Didn't think of them before so thanks again. You've all been great.

Will let you no how I get on. Much hugs. Sandy. xxxx

LNMcG

Fecinora it varies day to day, I always get there early because it is a pain to get parked , so someone taking you would be an advantage, as there are drop off points. They can park for 30 mins they can always move it if going to be longer. The longest I have had to wait after my appointment time was 1 hour the radio only takes 10 mins. That has only happened once , I have been taken on time a few times but would say on average I have waited 20 to 30 mins after appt time it seems longer because I am early. The parking attendants tell you to park in the volunteer driver spaces, I have also been told to park in the contractors car park. They only seem to give tickets if you park out with a space or on grass verge. Good luck you have a bit of a drive , can't think how you will come but try and avoid the great western road from the city centre end as so busy all day . If you come m8 exit at secc turn off and go onto expressway take averfoyle tun off up to anniesland cross then city centre exit onto g w rd . This is much quicker and less frustrating. Lynn x
fecinora

Evening all!

Sandy, I hope your eye problem is resolved, sounds like chemo effects/eyelash deficiency. This crap does seem to go on forever doesnt it.

No, I definitely dont want to delay rads any further, but if I find I need dble mx and  rads half way through the post WLE rads, well, I have no idea what happens in that scenario. I'm just hoping BRCA result comes in soon

Lynn, should I expect every Beatson appointment to be running late, or does it vary? My times are 10.30, 11.00 and 12.00. I have a lovely friend who offered to come with me, but she has to be back to get the weans from school.

Philomena, GP sounds more ATOS than ATOSCat LOL (I nearly applied for a job with them, but just couldnt bring myself toCat Embarassed)

Mel_A

Sorry for the short post before I was a bit distracted. Sandy I'm so sorry you're feeling low. The treatment must seem never ending for you. When is your op do you know? It's good that they're doing the reconstruction at the same time. I'm still half and half about whether to go for one as I've had enough of all the treatment now. It's been ongoing since February. I hope they book you in soon so you can get it over and done with.
Judy I'm glad your energy levels are back to normal. Is that pre surgery normal or pre bc normal? I asked for my prosthesis sooner rther than later because I hoped the weight would hold my bra still. It was tons better. I'm considering getting a stick on prosthesis now though as the weight of the normal one pulls my bra forward if I lean over.
I've had a real mopey, feeling sorry for myself day today and not a clue why. I've sat on my backside and done nothing. I'm going to have an early night tonight in the hope that the miserable cow sods off and I'm back to me again tomorrow.
Philomena_b

Good evening Angels,
Sandy , sorry to here your having a rough time of it, but agree with the others about seeing the optician, but would also get an appointment with your GP. I know that chemo does have an affect on the eyes but think it is transient rather than permanent xox
I had to laugh at Angie and my trip to Oz, as you can see I am still down under lol.
Well I have spent the afternoon having a total meltdown with the new GP! They were sent a request from ATOS for medical info about my condition! I went to see the letter before it was sent off. Well he did all of 3 lines with the date of diagnosi, my diagnosis and the date I started chemo!!!!! So I have asked him to do it again and properly this time, and stated he should have a good look at the notes this time. Will proberbly be put on the hit list now.
Other than that had some friends from work around for the afternoon, which was really lovely and now have jaw ache from talking and laughing so much.
Debra, glad to here your chemo has finally finished, you will soon be feeling better now it starts getting out the system.
To all who have finished rads well done, and good luck to those about to finish and those about to start.
Judy, I was talking to my pharmacist at the weekend about my arm, it's still really painful and for the last week it has been worse. She recommended rubbing tiger balm in it and it has eased it, also Lush do a massaging oil with cinnamon which is also good.
Well I'm now going to have a vodka and tonic and prepare my self for looking after my grandson Luca tomorrow.
Goodnight angels xx
Judyd

So sorry your having eye trouble Sandy. Hope you can get it sorted. Your bound to be feeling on edge with the operation looming too so don't beat yourself up too much.

My energy levels are about back to normal now but the hot sweats through the night along with the cording in my arm are still preventing me getting a full nights sleep. I'm awake at 4am every day, I have a cuppa, let the dog out then doss back on the sofa bed in the playroom where it's nice and cold.

I also tried my normal pre surgery bras yesterday, I've fed up of the lopsided boobs, but it didn't work. I've gone back to the comfort crop top bra. I can't wait till after radiotherapy to see what options there are for a falsie other than the softie that the BC nurse gave me after surgery. Needless to say, I can't wait till I can have the reconstruction.
diggywiggy

Hi Sandy, my eyes kept crying, especially when out in the sun. They streamed whenever I was eating along with my nose dripping. Onc proscribed Prednisolone sodium phosphate drops. They came in individual dose containers which you squeezed into each eye. Tried them but didn't really work. My eyes were not sore or red. If in pain go to an optician. Every town has opticians who are qualified to treat eye problems quickly and for free - if yours is not on the list they will be able to tell you where to go. I discovered this when I got an eye lash trapped in my eye. Hope you get it sorted soon. X Diggy
LNMcG

HI Sandy sorry to hear you are suffering,  I had the sore running eyes unfortunately I had it for about a month, I ended up getting 3 different lots of drops third lot did the trick they also cleared the tear duct.  My optician said if I have any other problem with eyes to go to him first as the GPs don't know enough about eyes to know what to prescribe .  

I had my first booster rads this morning they were running behind as one of the machines was down but it was ok only 3 to  go.   Hope everyone else is well Lynn x 

Mel_A

Lol- just noticed that my photo had changed to one I couldn't rotate. I've righted myself up again but give up with the photo changing 🙂
PrimroseHill

Morning Angels

Had to call the out of hours NHS No yesterday. Ive had the most painful right eye for two days. Feels like some ones stabbling a nail into the corner and just below my right eyelid. Was told to go to my local hospital to see a doctor who turned out to be about 18yrs and daren't really prescribe anything because i was on pallitive care. I burst into tears but then thought that should clear it. It hasn't. However, I am at Boston again today for pre- op assessment so I'm hopeful they will know if it's yet another post side effect of chemo. Does it never end? Feeling quiet low with the op looming, possible rads after, and anything else they might find whilst there in there. I still have very little hair, no eyebrows and definatley no eyelashes. He told me so yesterday. So what with no hair, lashes or brows and no makeup because of the bulging, sore,  weeping eyes I look and feel a mess. Whoa is me again........

I did have to laugh though at the attempts of loading of photo's and my obviously still present chemo brain as  I spent ages looking to see how I'd missed Philomena mentioning a trip to Australia and then laughed at Mel A's trip to Wales as an obvious link to her photo aswell. Lol

Debra - Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay. On that platform. Well done. x

Mel - Just one more to go then your there. Not long now. x

Fecinora - I was told I may or may not have to have rads after surgery depending on the pathology results which is now scheduled for Oct 17th. Ive asked for MX with expander recon on my right breast. I was also told that the I should have surgery six weeks after the last chemo. Maybe thats why they want to start the rads if there is any delay but I would be asking questions.

Kim - Congratulations on finishing your rads. 

Diggywiggy - That eye thing you had. Did it make your eyes really sore? 

Judy - I have the horse shoe thin hair thing going on too at the top. In fact when OH and i turn round my you can't tell the difference. Woman Embarassed

Hope everyone else is good and has had a lovely weekend.  Sandy. xx

Louis

I will call betty and Belle tomorrow and let you know the outcome.
Debra. xxx
Mel_A

Debra I couldn't find the information on the Betty and Belle website. Would you mind posting the link please. Do we need to book or can we just turn up? I hope you did something nice yesterday to tire yourself out 🙂
I had a lovely day with friends yesterday. I met up with an old friend I haven't seen for years and we had a lovely evening out with some other friends. It was such a lovely day 🙂
Louis

Yes I will be going to the evening at Betty and Belle on the 17th Oct. I have not back from the lady from Breast Awareness I will contact her again tomorrow.
Had a full day yesterday so very tired today and still in bed on this lovely day.
How long will this last for ?
Debra. xx