1.2M posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone due to start chemo in April? - Awesom April Angels

Mel_A

Re: Anyone due to start chemo in April? - Awesom April Angels

Thanks Rozz for booking the spa. It will be great to see you again. Daisy is doing well and we're both enjoying attending training sessions again. I'm hoping to get into competition obedience with her as we both enjoy learning new tricks. How is your poochie? Are you still on the same mobile number?

The meal for Saturday night is at the redhot world buffet and is booked for 7:30pm.

Judy and Amber it's good to hear from you. Sorry to hear about your eyes and psoriasis Judy. Is the macular degeneration linked to your treatment in any way? My nana and mum in law have that too. They've both had injections to treat it. I believe there are some promising treatments in the pipeline. 

Amber I'm glad the Hope group have helped you.

Angie are you still about and how are you doing?

See you soon now ladies xx

lori28

One more sleep ladies.....😁

lori28

Hi Amber, 

We're sorry you cant make it too, like I said to Judy we will be thinking of you all and will raise a glass for you!

Glad to hear you are on the up after your Hope course. I done one of these too it was six weeks with Macmillan, really enjoyed it and from that got involved with other things like health walks and art & craft group, its been great. I hope you manage a mini meet with the Scottish girls. I'm Scottish but across the border now!

Take care Amber, love Lori xx

PrimroseHill

Hey Amber, It's great to hear from you. Maybe you could meet with Angie and Fecinora I think they are up your way somewhere. Maybe this time next year we can all do the same again and you will be able to make it.

Hi Mel, what time did you book the meal for on Saturday night please? We have also borrowed a sat nav too. (Never used one). So we could end up any where. Lol.

Soooooooooooooooooooooooo excited. xxxx

Amber_D

Hi Girls,

Been keeping up to date with all your news and really wish I could be in Manchester this weekend it would have been great to meet up.
I feel a lot better now after the emotional blip a couple of months ago. I've been attending a 'hope' course which helps people adjust to the after and living with cancer and must say it has helped me immensely. Still have aches and sensitive feet but have appointment with my Onc soon so will see what he says.
We've come a long way since this time last year and I just wanted to thank you all for being there when I needed you. We are a bunch of strong, determined ladies and have got each other through this with the support of each other. Thankyou Pauline for bringing us all together. Not sure how many of us are in Scotland but if anyone fancies a mini meet up let me know.

Wishing all well and have a fantastic time this weekend. Lots of love 🎉🍷🍹😄 xx
lori28

Hi Judy, great to hear from you, it's such a shame you can't make it this w/e but we will all be thinking of you too!

Sorry to hear about the macular/psoriasis, my father-in-law has both too. I don't know a great deal about wet or dry macular but Hopefully what your doing and with some medication/treatment it will slow things down....hope your getting help with that.

It is good to hear though that you are feeling like you've turned a corner with regards your BC side effects. Good luck with your appointment about recon. I had mine y'day, she said she could do the diep but it would be Oct/Nov (few months after Herceptin) so I've decided to postpone until after Christmas...don't want to be in recovery for the holidays!!

Like you I'm still with the greying option, can't be bothered At the moment going back to dying my hair every 4-6 weeks! Its come in really soft and getting a bit wavy so time for another trim me thinks!!

What are you taking to help with the night sweats...I take some paracetamol to help with aches through the night and lower temp but I'm still waking up too hot?

Sorry again not to be meeting you on Friday...maybe another time,

Take care Judy, love Lori xx

Judyd

Hello ladies, I'm been reading all your posts and I'm pleased you all seem to be doing well. I do hope you all have a lovely time this weekend, I will be thinking of you and want to know all about it when you get back. I'm sure you will all have a lovely time, enjoy and have fun, you all deserve it.
I'm fit as a lop now, it was just like Angie said, I seem to have woke up one morning about 5 weeks ago and was just back to normal, I'm walking like a person again and not an old lady, I can kneel down on the floor and just get up, without looking like a tortoise stuck on it's back. I've even decorated the living room, kitchen and utility. I still have the night sweats but the tablets keep them at bay and most nights I only wake up once during the night. Life is good! I have an appointment at the end of the month which I think is to talk about reconstruction, I can't wait to have so etching done.
On the down side, my psoriasis has come back with a vengeance and I now have macular degeneration so I am juicing at least 8 different fruit and vegetables every morning to keep my sight and hopefully help with the psoriasis. They may have helped with the return of my energy. I still need to loose all this extra weight I put on but other than that I'm getting there.
My hair doesn't seem to be growing at the front, I've had the back and sides trimmed but it's still short on top with hardly any fringe. I've bought some of those mini hair straighteners which help me look a little bit less like a pensioner apart from all the grey.
Anyway have a great time this weekend xx
lori28

Hi Roz, 

Yes it is such a shame that the other ladies can't make it and agree some of those posts just came at the right time and made us laugh!

We will be thinking of them.

Really looking forward to Friday. Think I'll join Carol & have a massage on Saturday, thanks for organising this for us.

See you all soon....two more sleeps!!

Love Lori xx

Rozz

Hi All, 

Only 2 days to go!  I'm also thinking of Angie, Judy, Spudgirl, Pauline and all the others who can't make it, your hilarious posts kept me going at the worst of times and I'm sorry not to be meeting you; maybe another time?

But for Manchester: The spa would like to know what treatments we want so they can get ready for us.  I have Mel and Mel for manicures, Lynn for a pedicure, Caz for a massage. Please let me know if I've got it wrong.  I can't see a preference for Lori - what would you like?  I told the chap on the phone what we were about, and he said there may be precautions they have to follow especially regarding scar tissue but they'd be quite happy to work around it. They do Indian Head massages & a leg, foot and ankle one so they can work around any problem areas.  I'm going to have a facial, I think.  The first treatments are at 1pm, for 4 of us, then  more at 2pm.  We can have lunch at the hotel restaurant with a 25% discount and its normal practice for spa visitors to wander around and eat in the bathrobes.  Lets do some planning at Costas.

So looking forward to seeing Mel again (how's Daisy?) and meeting the rest of you.

Roz xx

Mel_A

Lovely messages Lori and Sandy. Everyone on this site has been so supportive. I've booked a table for 12 on Saturday but I'm sure they will accomodate more if need be. It is a big place. Xx
Jo_BCC

Smiley Very Happy Thank you so much for your kind words PrimroseHill, it's very much appreciated by all the moderation team here at BCC. 

Jo, Moderator

PrimroseHill

Morning Angels,

Great news for the all clear Lynn. I too am feeling emotional about meeting. Can't wait to hug everyone in person, and yes i will be a weeping mess. (Just to warn you in advance). LOl. 

Lori, lovely message regarding Pauline and the other angels, Im sure we all second that.

Also to Jo and all at the Breast Cancer Care offices. A huge thank you to you all for working behind the scenes looking after us, keeping us together, and supporting each other. We will be raising a glass to you on Saturday night in Manchester.Smiley Very Happy

Mel, would it be ok if we added Geoffs son to the meal. He lives in Manchester and would like to see his dad. Hope no-one else would mind, and I just don't want to miss a minute of you all whilst their catching up.

Diggy, hope all goes well for you on Tuesday. Tell em to be extra careful. ooooooooh not long now. xxxx

diggywiggy

Great news Sandy and Lynn. I have been given an appointment at the hospital where I was diagnosed and had lumpectomy, but don't know if they will do a mammogram. Kinda hope so but also dreading it.

Diggy

diggywiggy

Hi Angels, counting the days down to Friday. I guess I understand that Pauline has moved on. Like Lori i want to thank her for getting this forum started. I hope to move on soon. Got Herceptin injection on Wed so hope I am not too tired at weekend.
love Diggy Wiggy
lori28

Ah Lynn thanks for letting us know. She has been through so much its very very sad to hear about her Dad. I hope she is coping OK.

I can understand her wanting to move on from this, we are all different and will experience things differently.

I think we all have a lot to thank Pauline for as without her setting up this thread we may never have met each other.

So to Pauline, and all the other lovely ladies we have talked to over the last year.....

'Thank-you all for being there, I hope you are well and send you all my love'

Lori xx

LNMcG

I added her to Facebook in January sent her a personal message.  She lost her dad in January and had been looking after him for a while before that.  She said she just wanted to get on with life and not talk about Cancer any more.  I asked her to cone in April but  I don't think she's up for it. Lynn x 

Spudgirl

Also ... Has anyone heard from Pauline ? (Pcmartin). Is she okay?
Spudgirl

Has anyone still got their portacath in? I've had mine since last April. I'm seeing the Onc the last week in April I think and going to ask him to arrange for it to be taken out . I'm just wondering if it's normal to have kept it this long? Got visions of it becoming part of me.

I hope you all have a wonderful time next week. Just wrong timing for me. We have family up in Manchester so would have been good. We're coming back to UK for a couple of days the week after for a little shopping trip.

xx
Katebil

This time next week I'll be falling asleep in Manchester with you ladies rather than falling asleep in Sussex with my hubby! 🙂

See you soon

Kate

x

Mel_A

Great news Lynne. Not long now ladies xxx 🙂
lori28

Re: Anyone due to start chemo in April 2013? - Awesom April Angels

Start the count down Ladies........

LNMcG

Great news Sandy.  I got good news yesterday too eventually got a call with result of ny Mammogram nothing to worry about All Clear big sigh of relief.  We went to Kings Theatre in Glasgow last night to see a comedian Fred Macaulay, had a bit of dinner first and a couple of glasses to celebrate can't wait to see you all and celebrate, feeling emotional thinking about it. Lynn x 

Janet_BCC

Hi,

I have added 2013 to the title of your thread, just to avoid any confusion for anyone starting chemo in April this year.

Hope that's ok.

Best wishes

Janet

BCC Moderator

maisiecake

Woman Happygood to hear you had such a positive experience Sandy xx

Mel_A

Great news Sandy 🙂
lori28

That's Great News Sandy,

Nice to have your mind put at rest!

Yes your right, think I'll hold off until Jan (maybe Feb?) for my Op.

Just want to build my strength back up.....its not happening as quick as I hoped though!

See you soon, love Lori x

PrimroseHill

Afternoon Ladies,

I went for an ultra sound on my mx side and expander implant. The surgeon who was present for my op was there and remembered that it was me who they couldn't find the port to fill the implant. (I thought it was me being a big baby). He looked at the tight piece of raised skin coming down from the implant under the scanner and said it's either one of the filler tubes that circle the underside of the expander that has dropped, or a raised muscle/nerve or long scar tissue. It was definately not cancer. He also looked at the results from the mamogram to the left side and said that that was all was clear too. 

He looked at the small wrinkle that has appeared and has said that when I go for the last remaining op next Feb he can take that out, create a new nipple and lift the other side a little to match. I left the place walking on air. 

So it looks like Lori and I will be taking our Hospital holiday at around the same time next year.

Rozz, im trying to lose weight so that my left boob matches my implant so I don't have to face the last fill. lol, but that can wait now until after our meetup.

Mel, The worst se of Tamoxifen for me was not sleeping through, however the more herceptin I have the more tired I get and so have been having some good nights. Sometimes Im struggling to stay awake after 9pm. Next is the feeling decrepid and joint ache. Wishing you all the best with the drug change though and that all goes well. Lv and hugs to all. Sandy. xxxxx

LNMcG

Hi Roz happy to go to spa I'm getting my nails done before the weekend I think I will just get a mini pedicure ,hopefully we can see a bit of Manchester too Lynn x 

Rozz

Hi All,

We can choose what spa treatments we want on the day so no need to decide now.  Lynn, did you want to do the spa, sightsee, or both?  I've booked you in, but can cancel up to next Saturday.

I saw the plastic surgeon for my reconstruction & reduction last week. I asked about losing weight and he said to lose as much as I want (fat chance!) before the op. I'm having the DIEP flap where they take tummy fat to build the new boob. It will get smaller / bigger if my weight changes, but it will behave like belly fat, not boob fat so I might end up being lopsided again!  So I have to lose as much weight by August, then stay there.  It's great motivation! tho' I don't have a lot of confidence in my ability to get where I want to be. Still, its only 20 weeks....!  I'm having a weekend off the diet when we meet, so I'm hoping Caz finds out about the cake shop!

Looking forward to seeing you on (well, near) the platform and I hope not to keep you waiting this time!

Rozz

lori28

Hi Mel,

I think my surgeon said if I use my own tissue for reconstruction that it will fluctuate with weight gain\loss.

I've not gone for a post surgery bra and not been wearing my prosthesis either. Since I had the maximum 400ml in the expander I'm just making up the difference with the softie, I found the prosthesis a bit heavy...I need to look at a different kind though as old softie no good for holidays or swimming etc!!

Think I've decided to put off my reconstruction until Jan/Feb next year. They won't touch me for a month or two after Herceptin finishes in August so I'm not sure I want to be laid up before Christmas....cricket just got last Christmas out the way can't believe that'll be another year gone by!!

Lx

Mel_A

I'm not having herceptin but I get joint stiffness, cramps and a poor nights sleep with Tamoxifen. After chemo it is bearable though. The lack of sleep reminds me of when my kids were babies. I seem to have just got used to it, though by Friday I'm falling asleep very early 🙂
I've made an appointment today for a new prosthesis. I can get a stick on one now I'm 6 months post rads. I've lost weight and my remaining good boob has shrunk to a 34A, so I'm a bit lopsided at the mo. I'm having trouble getting a bra too as local shops don't seem to sell post surgery bras in a 34A. Just out of interest what happens to a reconstructed boob if you lose weight? Does the reconstruction shrink too or does it depend what type you have?
lori28

Hi everyone,

Mel, that's really interesting...I'm on Tamoxifen & Herceptin so don't really know what's causing the following, prob a combination of both.

Achey joints, mainly feet, ankles, hips wrists & fingers. Slightly nauseous, terrible sleeps and I've put on some weight.

I'm finishing the Herceptin in August so I'll know after then if any changes. I'm pre-menopausal so they said there's nothing for me that's as good as Tamoxifen. Its not much of an issue for me just now as I'm still off work but think I'll struggle when I have to go back.

Carol, another cake won't make any difference will it and we are celebrating....hope you find the cafe ha ha!

Lx

maisiecake

Hi all

went back to see onc yesterday to get blood test results to see if I can change from tamoxifen to aromatase inhibitors. Two of the 3 markers said i am post menopausal and the other was borderline. So they suggested i come off tamoxifen for 4 weeks to see which side effects go ( hopefully all of them!!) and then try starting it again because apparently sometimes this improves side effects. If this doesn't work for me I can change to aromatase inhibitors ( and have different side effects, of course). I'm so pleased to stop taking it- I stopped yesterday straight away! How's everyone else doing with it?

love Mel xxx

CazP

Hi all,

Just catching up with posts, suddenly realised that there might be need to pay for spa and hadn't logged in for a while. Rozz - thanks for sorting and will settle up when we meet - I think I said in my PM but massage would be my prefernce if you have to say before we arrive. I know Manchester a bit - not far from where I grew up, and I have friends nearby. I will get some advice on cafes etc that are good - I recall one with fantastic cakes so will be sure to check out the address of that one!!

Really looking forward to our weekend and hope everyone is feeling better for seeing a bit more sunshine recently 🙂

Carol xx

maisiecake

Hi Roz I've just picked up your post- happy to go with spa if you've paid. i'll probably just have a manicure too.

sandy- glad you've got mammogram over, and hope Tuesday goes ok. Great that you're getting some help now too. mel-well done on your interview, fingers crossed.love to all of you mel xxx

LNMcG

Sorry Roz did not see your post until just now. I've had a weekend away to Aberdeen with friends. If you have booked me into the spa that's fine but i am also happy to do the site seeing thing too as I said never been to manchester . Lynn x
lori28

Hi Mel,

That's great news about interview, best of luck with it, you can let us know how you got on when we meet. 

I'm sure we'll get something sorted for Friday night we can prob scoot out once we're all checked in for a mooch around, see what's there.

Be great if you can join us Sat morning for a wander round before the Spa.

Thanks for sorting out the meal for Sat night.

Looking forward to it....not long now!

Lori x

Mel_A

Hi everyone, sorry Rozz I didn't see your post on Friday. I'm not bothered either way about the spa, but if you've booked it that's fine. When do you n3ed to know what treatments we're having or do we say when we get there? Will probably just have a manicure. I'm not feeling brave enough to wear a swimming costume.
I've applied for a job in a special needs school and just found out that I've got an interview on the 1st April. I'm a bit nervous about the thought of change but I've been at my school for 8 years now and think a move might be good for me. I'll see how I feel when I go for the interview.
The meal I booked was at the Red Hot World Buffet for the Saturday night. I booked for 16 but think I need to change it to 12 now. I've not booked anything for the Friday night though. Do you want to make plans when you get here? I'm working on the Friday so will meet up with you all on the Saturday if that's ok. I'll send Lynne my number so you can let me know what your plans are for the day And I can meet up for some morning shopping. I'm only a 10min train journey away.
PrimroseHill

sooooooooooooooo excited too Philomena. I proberly wont reconise you with out your scarf on. LOL.

Lori, your right I have booked a double room for geoff and I for the Saturday night (so wont need a twin room) and we hope to be at the hotel by 3.30pm and would love to eat with you all in the evening. We've just one cow left in calf and praying it dosn't wait til the 5th. Should be well here before then though. (So i'm assured):manwink: love and hugs. xxxx

Philomena_b

Hi Roz,
I won't bother with the Spa thanks, am
Nd will proberly pop down to Didsbury on Saturday day time to see some. Friends, but will be eating with you all on both nights.this time in two weeks we will all have met, so excited 🙂
lori28

Hi Rozz,

I'm happy to do the spa and have a wander around either before or after the treatments are finished.

I don't want to confuse the issue but by I've had a look back over the last few posts I believe Kate & Diggy would rather do the sights n shops and think Lynn too.

I can't recall Philomena's preference and think Sandy is coming for meal with Geoff and staying over (have I got that right?)

So unless the other ladies i.e Carol, Mel A, Mel, have a change of mind then that might be 5 for the spa or 6 if You remember Philomena's preference?

Like I say hope I have not confused things but we may not have everyone logging in today to see your post, thanks for organising this.

See you soon,

Lori x

Rozz

Hi everyone,

The Spa called, wanting to firm up our booking by tomorrow!! I originally had Lynn, Mel, Mel A, Caz, Lori and myself.  (Also KimG, Amber and Moira but they had to drop out - right?)  It seems I have to pay for the spa tomorrow, so please let me know if you've changed your mind, otherwise I'll book for 6.  NB we don't have to spend the whole day at the spa, the treatments are from about 1pm, and we should all be "done" in 3 hours so we could drift off to the shops for a bit too....

Sandy, am I right in thinking you have booked you and your hubby a double room separately?  If so, the rest of us only need 4 twins?

I'll be driving up on Friday morning, having lunch with M&D and I aim to meet up with you all at 3ish at Costas - can't wait to meet you all!

Sorry to hear about your Mum, Diggy, I hope the loss isn't too painful for you and you can think about the good times you shared.  Sandy - hope you're feeling less stressed now - I'm betting they'd be on the  phone pronto if there was anything sinister.

Bye for now,

Rozz xx

PS we can settle up for the spa when we meet - I'll pay by credit card so it will be a few weeks before it hits my bank account anyway. Sorry for the rush!!

Katebil

Diggy, Lynn

I'm up for shopping and sightseeing rather than spa too. I have been to Manchester once before about 35 years ago so I suspect it's changed a little! 🙂

Kate
X
LNMcG

Diggy I'm up for site seeing as I have never been to Manchester before it would be a shame to visit and not see very much of it. Lynn x
diggywiggy

Re: Anyone due to start chemo in April? - Awesome April Angels

Hi Angels, many thanks for all the kind wishes. We gave Mum a good Irish send off. Feeling very tired but don't have to go to work until Monday. I haven't been called back for a mammogram yet. The last one was December 2012. I think I better give the hospital a call, although I'd rather not! Glad it went well for you Mel A and Kate.

Have a good time away with your friends Lynn. So glad you're feeling a bit better Sandy - so looking forward to meeting you and all the Angels. Like you Lori I haven't had my bloods checked for ages now. Yes I will ask the hospital when I call.

Regarding Manchester, do we have dinner booked for Friday or Saturday night? Not so interested in the spa - anyone up for some gentle retail therapy and sight seeing. Haven't been there since I was a student, a very long time ago!

It will be so nice to meet you all. Lots of hugs, Diggy Wiggy xxx

LNMcG

HI Angels sorry to hear about your mum Diggy, and Sandy glad you feeling a bit better.  I had my mammogram today, I did not get results either. Radiographers were at a Breast conference today and tomorrow.    I will get a letter in a week to 10 days I was told by Doc, although person who did mammogram said to phone Breast nurse on Tuesday.  Doc says nothing sinister although I was a bit disappointed no result today.  I'm off to Aberdeen tomorrow with 3 friends to visit another friend, looking forward to it. My house is like a building site as my garage conversion is now well under way.  Just going away to forget about it for a couple of nights.  Looking forward to seeing you all on the 4th. Lynn x 

lori28

Hi Sandy,

That's great that you've managed to get some advice and starting to feel a little better. 

You could be waiting up to 3 weeks for results of mammogram as they have to write it up as a report. At my hospital they said if I was anxious regarding the result to call my BC nurse about a week later as they should be able to access the info on computer prior to letter coming out, just to cut down the waiting time.

Fingers crossed for next Tuesday and its plain sailing for you, try not to worry. 

Great news re bloods & scan too. My last heart scan was good too but been a while since they took any bloods, think they might be due at my next herceptin.

Hopefully nothing will stand in the way of our meeting for any of us!

Take care Lxx

PrimroseHill

Thank you angels for your good wishes and advice. I asked for help as you suggested and I got it. prayed a lot too. I think im a little more sorted in my head now and am feeling much better. 

Diggy, I am so sorry to hear about your mum and I hope the funeral celebrated her life in the way you all wished for. Your right about herceptin fatigue, im nodding off most nights before eight.

I had my mamogram on Monday. I haven't got the results yet. Anyone know how long they take to come through? or do you have to contact them. They also looked at the recon site and have said that the implant has wrinkled also i have what looks like an elastic band under my skin running from the implant down to my lower rib. The oncologist had a look yesterday and has made me an immediate appointment with the BC surgeon for next tuesday. Strangely I don't feel too worried as she had no idea what it was and has never seen it before. My blood test are fine and show no suspicious markers and my last heart scan was good too. Im just wondering if the fill port has dropped under the skin ??? Whatever happens I am not missing meeting with you on the saturday night of Team Angel weekend. Not long now and I'm so looking forward to it.  Love Sandy. x

Katebil

Sandy, good luck today. I had mine at the end of Jan and was very worried beforehand but elated afterwards when told it was clear. The radiographer said 'try not to worry in future, oh I know its easy for me to say that' which is true but I knew what he meant!
Diggywiggy, sorry to hear of your sad loss, glad you were all there and your mum passed peacefully.

My OH said the same about us knowing each other when we meet up.....'the short haired happy women' was his expression!

Hope you all had some sun this weekend, we did and I have a red face to show for it.....I might have to find the green makeup from the LGFB session this morning to go to work! 🙂

Kate
X
maisiecake

evening angels

sandy  i'll be thinking of you tomorrow and hope everything goes well. I haven't had mine yet. It's another big milestone to get through. Ask for help with anxiety if you need it. i went through weeks of waking up in a panic with all sorts of worries before xmas, and crying every day. Anti depressants and counselling have really helped and although I still worry, it's not as all consuming as it was- i can move on from it.

Diggy so sorry to hear of your sad loss. I'm glad your mum's passing was peaceful and surrounded by those she loved.

Really looking forward to the meet up, not long now!!

Love to you all Mel xxx