1.2M posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone due to start chemotherapy in September 2015

Bibi44

Re: Anyone due to start chemotherapy in September 2015

TC so pleased you had a good appt with your surgeon. It's important that you are happy with what's been decided.  It's your body after all.  For what it's worth, I agree being balanced/minimising future risks is definitely worthwhile.  Seems like a pain to volunteer for more surgery now, but I'm sure you will look back & be pleased you did it.  I look like a demented badger/skunk too. The rads is nothing to worry about in terms of the planning or process.  It is a little undignified with your boob(s) out, especially now things don't look as they were, the arms can ache if they are up too long & it's a pain in the bott having to go every day. It is also a bit sore, but not anything like the pain of surgery.  The worst bit is the psychology of it, by that I mean the thought of it. I had a major 'really don't want to do this' the weekend before I started.  I hadn't really focused on rads, just getting to the end of chemo.  I looked at the impact rads has on reducing recurrence & it is huge.  It really improves all of our chances.  On that basis I forced myself, against all my instincts, to do it. So you are not alone.  The part of BC treatment that is the hardest, is whichever one you're currently on. 

Suzy sorry you are feeling low, I would really recommend the counselling.  You wonder what you're going to talk about, but all sorts comes out.  I did cry a lot in my first one, in fact couldn't stop...it totally overwhelmed me, but that sort of got it out of my system. I feel that I know myself a lot better now.

Chelle I just lay there in my rads planning whilst they talked measurements amongst themselves, they put a piece of plastic on my chest & drew round my nipples with pens, which was slightly weird, but it's in case they lose the dots. At our place you can choose normal or invisible tatts.  I did the latter, but no-one tells you that you get 5 needle stabs x 3, rather than just 3. Then someone like Suzy does your CT, which is just lying there with the bed moving around.  All the radiographers throughout the process were lovely except one bossy little madam, who treated you like a naughty school child. xx

SuzyEB

My rads planning involved lots of minute alterations to position. Lots of measurements and 3 pinprick tittoos (picked it up from another thread). The planning ct was very quick with no breath holding and no injections. It was quite painless. I'm sure they will take time to raise your arms. The radiographers were lovely ( me biased. ..never) lol!. All the best. xx
Scaredchelle

Rads planning in the morning ladies.
What should I expect?
My movement on my sugary side is still restrictive so I have a feeling I will be delayed slightly
SuzyEB

TC that's amazing that she agreed with no objections. I hope she follows through on it. Iwould be wanting the same thing if I was in your place.
I couldn't bring myself to ask onc about prognosis or discuss the future. I'm only getting through by focusing on a day at a time.
On a positive note, got some daffs that ate full bloom and look so fresh and lively. Spring is well on it's way. xx
SuzyEB

Hi everyone. Had a session with reflexologist. Someone on another thread said it helped her seroma. Thought I'd give it a go. Felt really drowsy afterwards. Hopefully it'll help.
I've spent the last few days really weepy. Having to force myself to do things still.
I'm seriously considering takimg my bcn up on the offer of counselling. Like everyone else, I've been so busy getting through treatment that I've pushed a lot of feelings down and they are now bubbling up. xx
turnercat

Oh and by the way I've got rads in four weeks. I am assured I had been through the worst by consultant when he operated. Now I'm being assured by rads that I've been through the worst having chemo and op. Bull this is the bit I'm dreading most xx
turnercat

Hi all. Wow Suzy my hubby jokingly said I look like skunk. Aren't men funny. Went to see the onc yesterday first time since chemo. She said they were surprised as tumour looked as though it was shrinking but came out bigger. She said they may have underestimate d original size. Or is that another name for chemo didnt work? Still in pIn with Seroma and chest wall. Bit surprised at healing time with the mx im sure my hysterectomy was quicker. Got to talking about future with onc she was asking if I was going for reconstruction as I am so obviously lop sided. I said to her no i just want the other off. One because they failed to find my tumour on routine mammogram last April and too because of my lopsidedness. To my amazement she agreed. We will see. Im like you Chelle think I've buried my head in the sand. Was in Sainsburys the other day and wanted to run out and leave my trolley behind xx
Bibi44

Chelle I'm doing counselling.  I found the first session a bit like that, but I have learnt quite a lot about myself in subsequent ones & I'm really pleased that I have done them.  The emphasis seems to be on putting your needs first & not being too stressed or hard on yourself if things don't go to plan or you can't do everything you'd like to.  Suzy one of the ladies on our rads thread is having a compression bra & manual lymphatic drainage massages to help her recurrent seroma. Would that be worth asking about? Bra doesn't sound exactly comfy though.  TC hope things are settling down for you.  Ange I guess your last zap must be quite soon?  Just to say things rapidly get better after you are over that initial 7-10 day period after rads, which is a relief.  Have a good day all. x

Scaredchelle

Hi ladies
Just a quickie from me.
I've just git out if a councelling session offered to me by my local cancer charity. It's was really good except I feel a bit of a fraud. I expected to be blubbering for the whole hour but instead on only shed a little tear once when talking about my hubby. Does that mean I'm coping with this crappy situation? I think I'm still in shock and have been since August. I also think I've had my head in the sand for the whole time in order for me to cope with the gruelling treatment.
Anyone else referred for councelling or even thinking about doing it?
I don't want to waste their time as they have a long waiting list 😕
SuzyEB

Hey TC. My surgeon has said he will not draim again unless it is huge or painful. It showed up on the rxt planning scan and the radiographers are discussing it with the onc as to whether they carry on regardless or wait until it settles. Still in limbo land and hoping and praying for a miracle of it disappearing.
My hair is growing quite long and my friends have taken to calling me a badger as it is very dark with grey swathes through it. Has just started with a kink and am looking a bit tufty. Hope this is not the start of curly hair.xx
turnercat

Hi ladies hope your all doing ok. Been a bit quiet since my op On the 3rd February as ive had one continuous cold. Still got the old Seroma and there refusing to drain it. It's driving me nuts Have an oncology appointment tomorrow to discuss radiotherapy which apparently will happen in about three weeks. If my seromas gone by then. Chelle have you got cording. You may need some physiotherapy xx
Bibi44

Ps Suzy I have my post rads check & Herceptin today.  I will let you know if it's back to normal ie intense fatigue was due to rads or whether my reaction to H is getting worse.  Hope you got on ok on Friday with yours x

Bibi44

Chelle I know there is a standard & a modified position for arms (because they ticked standard for me & there is obviously an alternative). I can't believe you are the only person who is unable to assume the position, so there must be a plan B. If you took strong painkillers before, could someone lift your arm into position or is it actually stuck? Don't worry about it either way, I'm sure they've seen it all before. One lady on our thread had to have her bingo wings taped out of the way.  She said the worst thing was the shame! Just booked a hol for my OH's 50th this time next year & was thinking how wonderful it will be to have normalish hair by then (wistful sigh.....). xx

Scaredchelle

Thanks Suzy. 

I think my rads will be focussed on my armpit and clavicle? I saw my onc on Thursday as she was leading a course I was doing and she asked me if I had started and asked if I could get my arm up....... That tells me I need to get it up!!!

how is everyone ts sunny day?

SuzyEB

Hi Chelle. I'm sure I remember reading about someone who had to keep her arm down as she was limited in movement. They will be gentle with you. All the best.xx
Scaredchelle

Hi ladies. 

My arm is defo easier since getting the drain out but I still can't get my arm above my head ready for rads. I gave my rads planning meeting in Thursday and am really worried they won't be able to do what's needed 😕

Any advice?!

Bibi44

Fingers crossed for you Suzy.  I think we have all had to develop patience during this process .. Waiting for appointments, waiting for tests, waiting for results, waiting for chemo to start, waiting for chemo to finish etc etc.  Great news re R1R2 as it has certainly worked extremely well for me.  Very little burning in the first place RTOG 0 in the majority with a little grade one under my arm/over the breast bone, on the mend from day 4 onwards & bra back on day 5. There was one very bossy little radiographer who seemed really put out that I wasn't using acqueous cream & told me to stop using it, but I ignored her & carried on.  I alternated R1/R2 with Ralife cream, from the people who makes Onicolife nail drops, because I had ordered that before I even heard of R1/R2.  That cream is also very soothing.  I might just have got lucky & had rads proof skin of course. We'll never know. Also all these creams are expensive compared to E45 or acqueous. Have a nice weekend. xx

SuzyEB

Finally got tattoos but also have a large seroma that showed up on plan scan. Not due to start until 29/03. Hopefully the seroma will have gone down by then. I don't want it to be delayed again.
Bibi I sked them about R1R2 but they have never heard of it. They are happy for me to use it so long as they can check it before the rxt. They were so good and have checked all my Aloe Vera products and are happy with my using them. Got another 2 weeks waiting. I can cultivate patience, I can cultivate patience, I CAN CULTIVATE PATIENCE!!!!!! XX
Bibi44

REALLY pleased for you Chelle.  Once step closer to normal life again.  I bet you slept better last night without all that going on. Suzy hope you aren't too sore & good luck for rads. xx

turnercat

Congratulations Chelle xxxxxx

SuzyEB

Weyhey Chelle. Amazing news. BIG WHOOPS of joy.xxxx

JenJen

Yay Chelle :)!! Will sip a schloer from my crystal glass in celebration for you xx onwards to next step
Scaredchelle

Multi tasking man?!?!!! Don't believe it! Bet he has a good woman behind him telling his what to do/say!

THE DRAIN IS OUT!

the drain is out!!!!!

PeggyCat
Community Champion

Ha ha, your multi-tasking men comment has really made me laugh Bibi. Thanks for cheering up my morning.

Ruth xx

Bibi44

Good luck today Suzy.  Mine was a 15 minute job, but had the full theatre prep just in case.  Surgeon chatted about tamoxifen the whole way through.  I kind of wanted him to focus on the job in hand, but he was obviously that rare breed ... A man who can multi-task.  TC sorry you're feeling frustrated with your blinking seroma. They just seem to go on & on don't they? I can't shift my head cold either.  I've had a red raw sore throat for 10 days & it seems to have moved to my ear now (never had ear problems with a cold before, but it's like seroma of the ear & feels like it's going to explode).  My whole jaw is hurting & I think the eustachian tube is blocked up. All very odd.  I should have at least some immune system by now, as 2 months post chemo. My oncologist says your counts are normal within a month, but the white cells can't mount a proper attack on infections for up to 6 months after.  Nice, guess we just have to grin & bear it TC.  Chelle great news about your drain.  A real prospect of it coming out soon.  Must be such a relief after weeks & weeks of dragging it round with you.  Ange sounds like you are motoring through your rads now.  Does go quite fast because your days are shorter.  Good news mine feels miles better today (day 5 post) & the sunburny feeling is milder. Have a good day all .... Pouring here & really windy. xx

Sherbertlemon

Have you had antibiotics, I did and was drained a few times. Not pleasant and yes it does feel like it's going to burst. I would suggest you see your surgeon.
turnercat

Hi ladies feeling sorry for myself Seroma, cold aching like I'm still on Chemo.  Rang the breast care nurse different one answered.  Told me that they don't like draining seroma and that would only do it if I was in pain and everybody's pain threshold is different.  Says the Breast Care Nurse who has never had a Seroma.  I'm not actually in pain as such, just feel as everything is going to burst open.  My hysterectomy was not as bad as this.  Hi Sue I'm the one from Colchester I also suffered from shortness of breath xx

Scaredchelle

Wow ladies you seem to be coping with your next stage of treatment rearly well. 

My drain seems to have stopped! Virtually nothing overnight and it's feeling really sore and bruised under my skin around the drain site so I'm hoping that's a sign that it's sucked everything it can out lol!

i got my rads planning through yesterday but have had to postpone 😕 

I need this drain out obviously but I also plan on driving myself there. 

Good new is that a girl I met through a collegue if my husband has also had her rads planning through at the same time so I'm really hoping we have treatment together and some of our appointments time well and we can treat ourselves with coffee/lunch! Every cloud and all that!

have a good day ladies. If my nurse comes within the next half hour I can get a lift into town which will be SUCH a treat!

xxx

MadAnge

Thanks for that advice Bibi. My next is the 15 March and guess what the next day is my birthday. What a treat Herceptin side effects and a blast in the morning - on a list I will be finished on the 18th 🙂 I will do lots on my next birthday to make up for it:) xxxx
SuzyEB

I may be fortunate then as Herceptin on Friday morning and Radiotherapy planning in the afternoon. Not sure of start date for rads but would expect it to be on Monday and. Just having some quiet time preparing for today. xx
Bibi44

Brilliant news Suzy. Hope port removal goes ok. Ange & Suzy (when you get there) I found the double whammy of Herceptin & rads really knocked me for six the day after.  I haven't had much rads fatigue, except needing to go to bed at 9-9.30pm most nights, but the day after Herceptin I felt like I'd had chemo again ... Very heavy, exhausted & lethargic.  Just thought I'd warn you so you coukd keep the day after relatively free. It   went the day after.  Chelle hope you get another minimal drainage today xx

MadAnge

Not far behind you ladies. Radio 6 today 🙂
I am the same have herceptin until November time so still visiting hospital every 3 weeks, but much better than every day xxx
SuzyEB

Just back from seeing surgeon. NO DRAINAGE today. Feeling over the moon. Had a lovely day out and then this good news. Port still being removed tomorrow so still ok for Friday radiotherapy.
Chelle that is great news about the drain. \~/\~/\~/. Sorry it's only virtual champagne.
Bibi congratulations onfinishing rads. Hosp appts are a part of life now. xxx
Scaredchelle

Yes me too bibi. Never warmed to her anyway but she was crying In this video today and I just thought that no one should feel like that. Just had an email back asking if I would go on the programme for 3 mins via Skype/FaceTime!!!!!! I feel flattered but I declined.......... I need my hair cutting lol!!!

Bibi44

Yay for 50ml Chelle & fingers crossed it continues. Bet you feel like throwing a party when you get rid of the drains. I wasn't all that keen on VD's post op video, but I really felt for her on the hair loss one, she nearly cried on air. Remember that feeling, even though we were expecting it. Have a good week. Although finished on Fri am back at the hospital today, next Mon & the 1 after for various scans/appts/Herceptin, so no chance for treatment withdrawal symptoms! xx
Scaredchelle

Hello ladies. 

How are we all today?

im feeling much better after suffering since Friday with my little girls bug that she kindly gave me. Also hopefully have good news that my drain is below 50ml today. Fingers crossed that this continues ts week and I will be drain free by the weekend. 

Did id anyone see Victoria derbyshires new video about finishing chemo? Don't know if I'm crazy but I sent her an email to wish her well. Don't particularly like her but wouldn't wish this crap on anyone!

quiet day for me today. Parcel to pick up so I can go out for a walk later and I have a couple of bits of crocheting to get on with. 😁

Big hugs to to you all xxx

Bibi44

You're most welcome Sue. You're at the tough end of the journey, with treatments stretching out ahead of you, but once you get past the half way mark you will begin to see a small chink of light at the end of the tunnel.  I used to say 1st treatment fear of the Unknown, 2nd fear of the known! Most people get similar SEs on the same drugs, but this time you will know what to expect, how to help yourself &, most importantly, that any SE will go in a few days or weeks. My 2nd was actually much better than the first, because I had better nausea drugs. My tip, apart from drink all the fluids, is that if your meds from the hospital aren't holding down the nausea, call your GP for Cyclizine. I dud that on the 3rd EC & the sickly feel went after 2 days instead of 4-5. All the best. xxx

SuzyEB

Sue, welcome. I was also breathless during FEC T. Found it really hard even going up stairs. Had to take it easy getting up from chairs as well. Was anaemic at the time. As Chelle says let your team know. They will check your bloods before wach chemo and if the anaemia gets too severe they can start you on treatment. It will go but be easy on yourself.
All the best. xx
Daisy63

Hi yes that's how I feel, I know it's got nothing to do with my breast cancer as I have had every scan going lol. I have lost 2 aunts and my sister with BC. So the doctor didn't want to take any chances. I suffer from anxiety and panics so I think when I get out of breath I might make it worse. I am on antidepressants for it. But when we are going through all this our mind works over time. I never ever thought I would get it. 😳

Sue

x x

Scaredchelle

Hello and welcome sue!

i was definitely more and more breathless during fec. I couldn't walk round the corner to my girls school without being breathless. Mention it to your oncologist next time you see them. It may be nothing and they will keep an eye on it. 

Daisy63

No pains thank god X x
JenJen

Daisy x I got breathless more on EC too x if it carries on or you get any pains ( which I doubt you will) then see a doc x but as Bibi says its a known side effect I just wrote it off to my iron levels being low so I was slightly anaemic

Love to the Sept ladies x
Daisy63

Thank you for replying to me. I have only had 1 chemo so far. Not looking forward to Thursday for 2nd one. This breathless thing has come in the past week. 

Sue x

Bibi44

Hi Sue Sorry to hear about your diagnosis.  How are you getting on? I was breathless at times during chemo, possibly because of the general fatigue/anaemia (less red blood cells, so less oxygen going round).  You will be pleased to hear I was back to normal a few weeks after chemo.  

TC sorry to hear you slipped over.  Bet you had a right panic as you were going over.  Glad you enjoyed your time away.  I'm 2 days post rads now & not much redness or fatigue yet.  Does feel a bit sunburny but nothing worse than I did to myself in Greece in the 80s with the Hawaian Tropical!  Side effects can continue to develop for a week or two after treatment, so I won't count my chickens.  Weirdly I have a bit of a cold too this weekend. I was in a bit of a chemo panic about it, but I must have got enough immune system back to handle it, as it seems to be going.  

Chelle fingers crossed for yours & for getting those flipping drains out this next week.

Suzy hope all's well & the seroma has finally given up.

Love to all x

Daisy63

Hi ladies i am just popping in from march 2016 thread. i have had one chemo FEC-T got the next one this tursday, i was just wondering does anyone get out of breath more now ? one more thing to worry about. 😬

everything seems such a push. i was an active cleaner for 30 years. whats happening to my body 😫.

i see there is a lady in colchester i live in chelmsford. hope you didnt mind me crashing your thread.

thank you.

sue x

turnercat

Joining in with the cold folks had one after op. It went and now is back grrrrrr x
SuzyEB

Know how you feel. My lovely friend has been round earlier and has just let me know that her little boy has been vomiting non stop since they got home. Don't want any more delays to my rxt. xx

Scaredchelle

Thanks tc.
Feeling pretty rubbish today. Think ive picked up my youngest daughters bug. I am seriously low this weekend 😕
Drain still in and still producing 100ml. Getting very frustrated and fed up. Still not driving!!!!

A'woh isn't me' day for michelle 😔
Jobey68

You can add photos 😊

turnercat

I wish we could upload pictures the local pubs resident pianist was a skeleton dressed in tails and top hat. Made me giggle would have loved to share it with you xxx